is the cross(literally) a real christian symbol approved by god?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kote
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

kote

Guest
dear brothers and sisters,

I have seen many churches using at the top of it, "a wooden cross", I don't care whatever it is made of,
but I would really like to know if the cross is a christian symbol approved by god,

blessings
 
Yes ( I give scripture to prove that it is ) its symbolic of Christ and what He did on that cross. Defiantly a Christian symbol now. Approved by God, because Christ used it often in His teachings.

The cross its self is simply a symbol for what Christ did for us , He gave His own life in our place, because He loved us. That happened to be accomplished on a Roman cross. It is what those people used at the time to punish people in that way.

Like the fish for Christianity ,etc. Remember God cause Jonah to be swallowed up of the fish, and Christ multiplied the fish etc.

The cross was a Roman way of execution , and it just took on a deeper meaning to those believers in Christ as their symbol .Don't let men confuse scriptures to convince you there's something wrong with it as a simple symbol of Christianity .

Luke 9:23

And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

He used the cross as a teaching, for something a follower of Christ dose daily: self denial . If Christ used it in this way, certainly there is nothing wrong with the way in which He drew on it to form His teaching.


One thing I really don't agree with, is Images of Christ " on , the cross." What I mean by this is , it's in really bad taste, to depict Christ like they do with the blood hanging on the cross on display for people . Call me old fashioned, but I believe its distasteful and disrespectful In my opinion .

Especially knowing He resurrected. That's just my opinion about images with Him still on it. Its just not good in my view.


BUT the cross itself IS a symbol if Christianity , displaying it on fronts on buildings to indicate to people there are followers of Christ there, is fine with me.

Just read all these scriptures of Christ and how the cross was used to teach, and bring us salvation with what did Accomplish there relating to it. It is written :

Take the time to read all these scriptures referencing the cross.

( king James version )

Phil 3:18

Luke 14:27

Matt 10:38

Matt 16:24

Matt 27:32

Matt 27:40

Matt 27:42

Mark 8:34

Mark 10:21

Mark 15:21

Mark 15:30

Mark 15:32

Luke 9:23

Luke 23:26

John 19:17

John 19:19

John 19:25

John 19:31

1Cor 1:17

1Cor 1:18

Gal 6:12

Gal 6:14

Eph 2:16

Phil 2:8

Col 1:20

Col 2:14

Heb 12:2
 
Last edited:
dear brothers and sisters,

I have seen many churches using at the top of it, "a wooden cross", I don't care whatever it is made of,
but I would really like to know if the cross is a christian symbol approved by god,

blessings
I think not. The cross was in use by the Romans, and the Hindus, etc. Its origin is far more ancient than Christianity, and the likelihood is it was more in the shape of a 'T' rather than a conventional cross.

One could argue that as Moses lifted up the serpent on a stake in the wilderness so that the Israelites could look to it and be healed, then the cross should function in the same way, perhaps? Yet it was never authorized for that use by Jesus and it doesn't have much use these days except to outwardly denote piety that the apostles say should be internal and not external.
 
dear brothers and sisters,

I have seen many churches using at the top of it, "a wooden cross", I don't care whatever it is made of,
but I would really like to know if the cross is a christian symbol approved by god,

blessings

Christ redeemed th curse being hung on a tree. Th bible doesn't say anything about th cross in th way of symbolize it. Yet I think it's lik this...

"We will use these stones to build a memorial. In the future your children will ask you, ‘What do these stones mean?’ [SUP] [/SUP]Then you can tell them, ‘They remind us that the Jordan River stopped flowing when the Ark of the Lord’s Covenant went across.’ (Josh 4:5-7)

A cross acts as a memorial for all who know about it and a mystery to those who don't. The cross reminds everyone of what Jesus done for th world every time it's seen. So I don't see God thinking it's wrong in this sense becuz it brings glory to Him.
 
I dislike anything that shows Jesus Christ on the cross, because we serve a risen savior!

Anything that has him still on the cross is lie, because it suggests he is still DEAD.
 
I think we get way too uptight about some of these things.

Wearing a cross is neither going to make you more spiritual, or more pagan...
it's just a dangly thing on a chain.
If you makes you happy, wear one.

Putting one on top of a church doesn't make the Church more Christian or less Christian.
If you makes you happy, put one up there.

What we DO know, is it's NOT a magical talisman, and it doesn't have any super powers.
As long as you know that... then you're fine either way.
 
dear brothers and sisters,

I have seen many churches using at the top of it, "a wooden cross", I don't care whatever it is made of,
but I would really like to know if the cross is a christian symbol approved by god,

blessings

Good news, I can answer this to anyone with an open mind!
2 “The sons of Israel shall camp, each by his own standard, with the [a]banners of their fathers’ households; they shall camp around the tent of meeting [b]at a distance.3 Now those who camp on the east side toward the sunrise shall be of the standard of the camp of Judah, by their armies, and the leader of the sons of Judah:Nahshon the son of Amminadab,4 and his army, even their [c]numbered men, 74,600.5 Those who camp next to him shall be the tribe of Issachar, and the leader of the sons of Issachar:Nethanel the son of Zuar,6 and his army, even their numbered men, 54,400.7 Then comes the tribe of Zebulun, and the leader of the sons of Zebulun: Eliab the son of Helon,8 and his army, even his numbered men, 57,400.9 The total of the numbered men of the camp of Judah: 186,400, by their armies. They shall set out first.10 “On the south side shall be the standard of the camp of Reuben by their armies, and the leader of the sons of Reuben: Elizur the son of Shedeur, 11 and his army, even their numbered men, 46,500. 12 Those who camp next to him shall be the tribe of Simeon, and the leader of the sons of Simeon: Shelumiel the son of Zurishaddai, 13 and his army, even their numbered men, 59,300. 14 Then comes the tribe of Gad, and the leader of the sons of Gad: Eliasaph the son of[d]Deuel, 15 and his army, even their numbered men, 45,650. 16 The total of the numbered men of the camp of Reuben: 151,450 by their armies. And they shall set out second.
17 “Then the tent of meeting shall set out with the camp of the Levites in the midst of the camps; just as they camp, so they shall set out, every man in his place by their standards.
18 “On the west side shall be the standard of the camp of Ephraim by their armies, and the leader of the sons of Ephraim shall be Elishama the son of Ammihud, 19 and his army, even their numbered men, 40,500. 20 Next to him shall be the tribe of Manasseh, and the leader of the sons of Manasseh: Gamaliel the son of Pedahzur, 21 and his army, even their numbered men, 32,200. 22 Then comes the tribe of Benjamin, and the leader of the sons of Benjamin: Abidan the son of Gideoni, 23 and his army, even their numbered men, 35,400. 24 The total of the numbered men of the camp of Ephraim: 108,100, by their armies. And they shall set out third.
25 “On the north side shall be the standard of the camp of Dan by their armies, and the leader of the sons of Dan: Ahiezer the son of Ammishaddai, 26 and his army, even their numbered men, 62,700. 27 Those who camp next to him shall be the tribe of Asher, and the leader of the sons of Asher: Pagiel the son of Ochran, 28 and his army, even their numbered men, 41,500. 29 Thencomes the tribe of Naphtali, and the leader of the sons of Naphtali: Ahira the son of Enan, 30 and his army, even their numbered men, 53,400. 31 The total of the numbered men of the camp of Dan was 157,600. They shall set out last by their standards.”

32 These are the numbered men of the sons of Israel by their fathers’ households; the total of the numbered men of the camps by their armies, 603,550.33 The Levites, however, were not numbered among the sons of Israel, just as the Lord had commanded Moses.34 Thus the sons of Israel did; according to all that the Lord commanded Moses, so they camped by their standards, and so they set out, every one by his family according to his father’s household. Numbers 2

The above passage dictates how the tribes of Israel would camp at night.


EAST --- 186,400
Judah 74,600
Issachar 54,400
Zebulun 57,400

South
151,450
Reuben 46,500
Simeon 59,300
Gad 45,650

WEST
108,100
Ephraim 40,500
Manasseh 32,200
Benjamin 35,400

NORTH
157,600
Dan 62,700
Asher 41,500
Naphtali 53,400

If you graph those numbers on a page You end up with a cross shape with the tabernacle in the center of the cross. Every nite they camped in this formation, in a giant cross.

camp1.jpg

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a better picture for the post above. though it is not quite to scale.

camp3.jpg
 
dear brothers and sisters,

I have seen many churches using at the top of it, "a wooden cross", I don't care whatever it is made of,
but I would really like to know if the cross is a christian symbol approved by god,

blessings

If your going to glory, glory in the Cross of Christ and we are to take up our cross daily (die daily) to the old man/woman and put on the new creation in Christ Jesus and walk in newness of life. Contrary to some religions my savior is no longer on the cross, nor did he have a loin cloth and he was beaten beyond recognition which is contrary to the good looking, flowing haired charismatic image that most people think of when they think of Jesus on the cross. (See Isaiah 53)
 
dear brothers and sisters,

I have seen many churches using at the top of it, "a wooden cross", I don't care whatever it is made of,
but I would really like to know if the cross is a christian symbol approved by god,

blessings
on top of "it" and the "it" is very often an obelisk, like the one in St Peter Square or in Washington DC.
 
I'm one of those who look at this like "meh, " because historically, the Roman cross was said to be a T instead of a t (yall know what I'm trying to do..lol)
 
Galatians 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

''before whose eyes...set forth, crucified''
 
Cross or no cross whatever. Where the problem lies for me is when I see people bowing towards a cross or kissing crosses like it's an object of reverence or worship. To answer the OPs question, I don't believe God has a problem with the cross itself but some people surround themselves with crosses as if it's going to protect them from evil, it's not a magical charm lol
 
  • Like
Reactions: JaumeJ
I am content to have the cross as my new life in Jesus, Yeshua, however a physically hewn, hammered, molded or however manufactured by hand cross for me has never attracted me. It only serves to remind me of the old me. Also, many folks have a tendency to superstition, as though the object has powers of some sort. The power is the Resurrection, that is Yeshua. There is no mention in the Word of having replicas of the cross, none. Please do not quote picking up our cross daily, for all who believe do this as long as they maintain the faith.

dear brothers and sisters,

I have seen many churches using at the top of it, "a wooden cross", I don't care whatever it is made of,
but I would really like to know if the cross is a christian symbol approved by god,

blessings
 
One may percieve the camp as a cross if he wishes, however the children of israel were assigned positions to camp to the north, east, south and west, most likely forming a square since the manner you have depicted would leave four large areas of penetration for an enemy to attack and sever the four appendages depicted. This is contrary to sound judgment.

Here is a better picture for the post above. though it is not quite to scale.

View attachment 68015
 
I wonder why we don't have a symbol of a tomb with the stone rolled away? That is when Jesus was exalted to the right hand of the Father - that is when Jesus was victorious and conquered death when God raised him from the dead - that is when God gave men 'power from on high' - that is when God gave his gift of holy Spirit so that we too could be overcomers. . . . .
 
  • Like
Reactions: JaumeJ
I wonder why we don't have a symbol of a tomb with the stone rolled away? That is when Jesus was exalted to the right hand of the Father - that is when Jesus was victorious and conquered death when God raised him from the dead - that is when God gave men 'power from on high' - that is when God gave his gift of holy Spirit so that we too could be overcomers. . . . .
Perhaps because a cross is pretty easy to design and make. How do you design a tomb with the stone rolled away so you can wear it around your neck? I can imagine someone having one and a person asks so what's that around your neck and your like its a symbol of the tomb with the stone rolled away lol...a bit of a mouthful :)
 
Act 19:24


For a certain man named Demetrius, a silversmith, who made silver shrines of Diana, brought no little business unto the craftsmen;
Act 19:25
whom he gathered together, with the workmen of like occupation, and said, Sirs, ye know that by this business we have our wealth.
Act 19:26
And ye see and hear, that not alone at Ephesus, but almost throughout all Asia, this Paul hath persuaded and turned away much people, saying that they are no gods, that are made with hands:
 
Perhaps because a cross is pretty easy to design and make. How do you design a tomb with the stone rolled away so you can wear it around your neck? I can imagine someone having one and a person asks so what's that around your neck and your like its a symbol of the tomb with the stone rolled away lol...a bit of a mouthful :)
I'm sure there is a way to design a tomb with a stone rolled away - at least I can picture it in my mind. If I had one and I wore it - and someone ask me about it - I would say that it's a representation of our risen Lord. . . . not too much of a mouthful. Actually, I like wearing a dove - the symbol of the Holy Spirit. I also like the idea of an anchor - Jesus Christ death and resurrection - the anchor of my soul, anchoring me in my walk with hope of resurrected life. :)
 
dear brothers and sisters,

I have seen many churches using at the top of it, "a wooden cross", I don't care whatever it is made of,
but I would really like to know if the cross is a christian symbol approved by god,

blessings

I don't think so. I side with no.

I asked myself, if a symbol is used in any way, shape or form in worship "service or prayer" does it then just remain a symbol or has it become an image. If a symbol, is used to declare or proclaim a status or standing, does it not become an image, yes.

If a sanctuary/place of worship has things like an altar, man made symbols, images of Christ or angels, this is not merely tradition or harmless. The animation of a spiritual influence is apparent in adornment and fashioning of symbols. "let no man beguile you", may the Lord guard our hearts & minds in Christ Jesus, God says no images for our good! These symbols/images affect our faith in deep place of our hearts & in the subconscious mind. Whether we realize or recognize the influence of objects, the influence is there.

A personal choice needs to be made about this issue. If you want to put something on, put on the armor of God. If you want to represent your faith by a visual, carry your bible.

" Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.*"

And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. (Jesus fish, really)

Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind

"rudiments" of the world.


Great topic.