Is The Earth Flat Or Round?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Is The Earth Flat Or Round?

• Total voters

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I guess you missed it. The sun standing still was the truth, not man's perspective. ;)
Dead wrong. If the biblical text said, “God said that the sun stood still” then perspective would be irrelevant. It doesn’t, leaving perspective relevant and leaving that text still irrelevant to this thread topic.

P

Polar

The passage in the book of Joshua being used to contend for a flat earth theory is an example of not comprehending that scripture speaks in the 'language' of observation, meaning back then, people thought the sun was moving around the earth and the earth was fixed in its position....to encourage a belief in a flat earth using the observation or belief of people who lived thousands of years ago encourages both ignorance and superstition.

What I find interesting with regards to some of the posts in this thread, is that you will read posts from the flat earthers that God has 'laws' and He never changes them and things are always the same. Seems strange then for God to break His own laws, does it not?
I asked one of these posters what 'laws' they were referring to and never got an answer. What I got, was this same person twisting my words as if I had said I don't believe in laws.

Of course when you do not know what you are talking about, you have to bluff your way through a conversation and another tactic being used is telling people that if you believe anything NASA says, you are in league with the devil and need to repent. These comments can be found in prior pages of this thread in numerous places.

As for the sun standing still that flat earthers say that proves the sun moves and the earth does not, we know this is not true. Of course if you believe NASA or other proofs of the solar system are satanic deceptions then you will continue on in the error of a flat earth.

I really do not care about that. The concern is the attacks and the language being used by 2 of the flat earthers and the accusations that if you do not agree the earth is flat, then you are in league with the devil. This is more than ignorance. This is distain for believers in this forum that both believe Scripture and never consider God to be a liar; another false accusation by those who are mistaken in their beliefs. It seems normal discourse or discussion is beyond them and they use false words and name calling as 'proof' others here are devilish. I doubt non religious flat earthers would speak like that to others but here, for some reason, these 2 have left off any appearance of the ability to reason and just condemn rather than discuss.

Telling others that what we point out to them is actually what we are doing, is a juvenile tactic...much like some child might say it's not me it's you. We all can read and it is easy to prove who said what. We should not have to do that though, if people were reasonable and responded to posts without the references to demons and so on.

There are actually a good number of explanations for the events described in Joshua and that is because we now know the sun is stationary and the earth both rotates on its axis and travels around the sun...a journey which we know as one year...12 months or 365 days or 366 every 4 years.

The simplest explanation may be that things actually happened as described and God did in fact do as Joshua requested....but studying the events will incur questioning the time of day as it may have been actually night that was lengthened as Joshua and his troops arrived in the early morning at the camp of their enemies. You can find information on that by searching on google or whatever SE you use as there are literally some 54 million responses to that enquiry.

The earth is not flat and it is not sin or demonic to state that. Some of the arguments for a flat earth that have been presented here are more or less just saying 'shut up' and believe. Don't use the brain God gave you....just empty your mind and accept what we say.

I am of the opinion that actual hate has been displayed in some retorts from those who think the earth is flat. That is something they need to deal with and not the responsibility of others, unless they wish to submit that they have no control over what they say which, to them, means they are not capable of bearing responsibility for the less than civil responses here

I'll just wrap up by saying this; one thing is certain. The sun does not move; the earth does and that is established fact. If we established fact solely by what we see, we might believe it is the sun moving as the earth travels forward, causing it to seem it is the sun and not the earth.....we do not find anything about gravitation in scripture so some think that is also disputable.

P

Polar

Dead wrong. If the biblical text said, “God said that the sun stood still” then perspective would be irrelevant. It doesn’t, leaving perspective relevant and leaving that text still irrelevant to this thread topic.
that is a truth overlooked and yet very important

perspective or arriving at what a person believes to be truth, is not based on what is observable in all cases

If that were so, then we would never believe in God because we cannot see Him

Aug 2, 2021
Genesis 11:7
"Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.”
Did the LORD confuse Truth??? = Absolutely not = Did HE spare the lives of millions by doing this = Absolutely

To HIS People = the Church, God will never confuse = "thy word is truth" = it is impossible for God to lie"

Peace Brother and thank you for this

Aug 2, 2021
Magenta, that isn't true. It does address this issue. Same as it addresses many others that people are generally uncomfortable with.

I think the reason we get particularly uncomfortable with this one though is that it really drives home the point that God doesn't care about what we think. He uses the foolish things of the world to put to shame the strong and He asks that we trust Him and not our own understanding.

This line of reason literally flies in the face of all of our modern beliefs and paradigms. We trust our understanding first, and Gods word second, if at all.
the Word becomes and afterthought for us and, generally, never the first thing.
This is why I love this topic so much, it DEMANDS Gods word first, and our opinion and beliefs second, if at all.
It inspires trust in the word, or rejection of it. It makes the fence we love to straddle very clear.
Our God is a jealous God and HE will have it no other Way.

It also helps to know that UH- Well = HE created all things in heaven and on earth = HELLO = ALL things obey HIM.

YEAH = GOOD to KNOW

Peace Brother and thank you for your encouraging thought provoking posts.

Aug 2, 2021
It’s only problematic if you assume the purpose of Scripture is to provide explanations of real-world phenomena in 21st-century scientific jargon. It isn’t. It was terminology understandable to the ancients. Yes, a few of them understood engineering, but the Bible was not written for engineers, ancient or modern, but for common folk to grasp.

Scientifically complex concepts are explained in simple terms but that doesn’t make them “lies” any more than saying a circle’s circumference is about three times its diameter is telling a lie. Consider the purpose and original context of Scripture rather than imposing on it some purpose for which it simply was not written.
The ancient believing Jews under Moses knew of the heliocentric belief system = 1st from Egypt and then from Babylon.

God also knew of this deception and so the Holy Spirit corrected this in His Truth = "Thy word is truth".

Sep 24, 2022
Virginia
It’s only problematic if you assume the purpose of Scripture is to provide explanations of real-world phenomena in 21st-century scientific jargon. It isn’t. It was terminology understandable to the ancients. Yes, a few of them understood engineering, but the Bible was not written for engineers, ancient or modern, but for common folk to grasp.

Scientifically complex concepts are explained in simple terms but that doesn’t make them “lies” any more than saying a circle’s circumference is about three times its diameter is telling a lie. Consider the purpose and original context of Scripture rather than imposing on it some purpose for which it simply was not written.
It IS a lie to claim that when someone says circle they really mean Sphere, especially when they also use the word for ball, that would be easily understood as a sphere.
Then yoy do we teach our kindergardeners about the shape of the earth?
That is about as simple minded as you can possibly get. But you imply that grown adults are to stupid to understand something told to them by God? You are hand waving this issue away and that is wrong.
Why are we taught about how planes work or lift, or the basics of any of these mathematics if we are all just to dumb to understand anything?
The Wright Brothers built the first functioning plane without higher education. Many of our greatest leaders have been school dropouts and that didn't hinder them.from being able to understand basic concepts, yet you claim that our ancestors were to dumb to realize the truth if it were told to them by God?

Sep 24, 2022
Virginia
I don't know who this person actually represents but he seems pretty excited about telling us all that God is uncaring...he has done this in several threads now

he borders on the edge of heretical comments
Would you care to quote one instance for me puppers?
I would love to see where I called God uncaring.

Aug 2, 2021
that is a truth overlooked and yet very important

perspective or arriving at what a person believes to be truth, is not based on what is observable in all cases

If that were so, then we would never believe in God because we cannot see Him
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness. For what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them.
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen,
being understood from His workmanship, so that men are without excuse.
Romans 1:18-20

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The Wright Brothers built the first functioning plane without higher education. Many of our greatest leaders have been school dropouts and that didn't hinder them.from being able to understand basic concepts, yet you claim that our ancestors were to dumb to realize the truth if it were told to them by God?
As I did not say that, now you are caught in your own lie.

I see no reason to continue interacting with you until you own your sin and repent of it.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Water has movement when flowing downhill and God created the flow of water including tides.

Read how God placed boundaries for all WATER on earth = most especially the oceans.

Do you know/understand what a boundary is?

Also, anything heavier then air will fall thru it because the air cannot support it = PERIOD.

"HE gave the sea its boundary so the waters would not overstep his command, and when he marked out the foundations of the earth."
Proverbs
That has nothing to do with tides. It has everything to do with the gravitational affect of the moon and also the sun.

And no, things heavier than air do not necessarily fall through it. Or have you not seen birds and aircraft, balloons and airships, kites and such? In space, nothing falls anywhere. That is because there is no gravity.

You should learn something about pressure. Or just learn something instead of parroting other people's deceptions as if they were facts.

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
i took a screenshot of Google maps of this image from ground level on the other side of the opera house, according to google maps, the sun in your image is actually almost perfectly due west, ...
I did something similar and got the same result.

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Sure. Let's discuss the shadows that are impossible on the flat Earth. :)
I do not have a specific "answer" to the Opera House quandry - except that:

1) I don't think what we see in the picture(s) is necessarily accurate with regard to actual NSEW directions.

Now - if I personally stood on the Opera House deck with a trusted compass in my hand ... that might be worth something. ;)(y):cool::geek:

2) I don't totally trust the accuracy of Google with regard to 'true' reality.

3) [maybe later]

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I do not have a specific "answer" to the Opera House quandry - except that:

1) I don't think what we see in the picture(s) is necessarily accurate with regard to actual NSEW directions.

Now - if I personally stood on the Opera House deck with a trusted compass in my hand ... that might be worth something. ;)(y):cool::geek:

2) I don't totally trust the accuracy of Google with regard to 'true' reality.

3) [maybe later]
All the maps I can find show the main building pointing within a degree or two of due North with the smaller section pointing a little East. The peninsula juts about 5 degrees East of North. That would put the 'sunset' pic I posted recently showing the sun at about 30 degrees South of West.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
You would have to rotate this picture - within the frame - about 16 degrees clockwise - to make the top edge east-west.
Which would make the sunrise pics more troublesome for your position. ;)