but don't you see that what you're saying is that God and the Old Covenant are the same thing?
Just because God's Covenant with man changed doesn't mean God changed. It's what He intended from the foundation of the world.
I think you fail to see His purpose in establishing the covenant with the nation of Israel.
It was conditional, dependent on the actions of the people, designed to make us see our great need of a Savior.
The New Covenant is entirely dependent on God through the righteousness of the Lord Jesus.
He establishes, maintains, and fulfills it.
We cannot add to it with our efforts (filthy rags).
We can only receive it by the faith given us in the person and work of Christ.
The only way is when we do the spirit of the law instead of just the letter of the law...
Think about creation for a minute, the last thing God created was us. If what was created the previous 5 days would suddenly vanish, what would keep us alive? Take away what was established before Jesus was crucified, and we would know that there would be nothing for Him to complete/fulfill.
My God is perfect enough to endorse an unchanging truth. Jesus is the cap to a full vessel, and if there was nothing in the vessel, the cap wouldn't be necessary. Some will say we are going backwards by mentioning the law in the old covenant as valid. So when Jesus said no one comes unto the Father but by me, I suppose those who accuse us of going backwards, are also going backwards to the Father who established the old covenant. Are we rejecting the perfection of God, and not wanting to look at the foundation? Jesus was in the foundation as mentioned in Colossians 1, and John 17. Hebrews 1:10 (KJV)
[SUP]10 [/SUP]And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands:
1 Peter 1:19-23 (KJV)
[SUP]19 [/SUP]But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
[SUP]20 [/SUP]Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,
[SUP]21 [/SUP]Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.
[SUP]22 [/SUP]Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
[SUP]23 [/SUP]Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
Think about creation for a minute, the last thing God created was us. If what was created the previous 5 days would suddenly vanish, what would keep us alive? Take away what was established before Jesus was crucified, and we would know that there would be nothing for Him to complete/fulfill.
1 Corinthians 3:11 (KJV)
[SUP]11 [/SUP]For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
C'mon 'Just',.....you might not have liked all the answers you got, but some of them were good.
I think it somewhat myopic of you to say, "no one answered my question".
(I did)......please reread.![]()
What is the number or numbers of your post so I can reread - with 865 posts it is possible I missed it. LOL
I started this post and I can asked for it to be finished also. If anybody can say, with a sincere heart, that they have been edified by the truth in the Word of God, I'll keep quiet. If all we have learned is defining the differences between all who are participating, then I think this thread has been in vain, and I will ask a moderator to close it. Thank you and I sincerely hope there is no vanity in what I have started here. I have not had my original question answered at all but for one thing. Some say it's not a cult and others say it is. So back to the most profound subject that puts believers in Christ Jesus at odds with each other. The Law and Old Covenant versus grace and faith. What a shame.
I started this post and I can asked for it to be finished also. If anybody can say, with a sincere heart, that they have been edified by the truth in the Word of God, I'll keep quiet. If all we have learned is defining the differences between all who are participating, then I think this thread has been in vain, and I will ask a moderator to close it. Thank you and I sincerely hope there is no vanity in what I have started here. I have not had my original question answered at all but for one thing. Some say it's not a cult and others say it is. So back to the most profound subject that puts believers in Christ Jesus at odds with each other. The Law and Old Covenant versus grace and faith. What a shame.
Thank you, you just preached more truth from the gospel in those paragraphs than half of the world preaches on a Sunday morning. The devil attacks abundance of grace and the gift of righteousness. These two things above all else.I believe we are blessed by the Lord Jesus and in Him is the fullness of our blessings.
I don't believe we are blessed by living correctly according to the Law by our own will and power. I believe that is mans religion designed for slaves.
I believe that when a person walks with the Lord He causes them to walk worthy of Him in all things. So there is no more worry of "did I fall short before the law" or "did I fulfill that law to the best it could be fulfilled". We can just be us and love the Lord and know He loves us and share the blessings the Lord gives us with others...
Over and Out...
Grace and Law cannot live under the same roof.The Law and the Old Covenant versus the Grace/Gift of God given us in the Death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ ... i.e... The New Covenant ? Hmmmm .... decisions ... decisions ? My vane side is awfully tempted to try and accomplish my salvation on my own. On the other hand, maybe I can somehow find a way to combine and compromise the two ? This way I could please both God ... and myself ! What was the name of that group that your wife belongs to ??![]()
I started this post and I can asked for it to be finished also. If anybody can say, with a sincere heart, that they have been edified by the truth in the Word of God, I'll keep quiet. If all we have learned is defining the differences between all who are participating, then I think this thread has been in vain, and I will ask a moderator to close it. Thank you and I sincerely hope there is no vanity in what I have started here. I have not had my original question answered at all but for one thing. Some say it's not a cult and others say it is. So back to the most profound subject that puts believers in Christ Jesus at odds with each other. The Law and Old Covenant versus grace and faith. What a shame.
I think there was some good discussion in it. But since we are fleshly, imperfect creatures, there is bound to be some vain and divisive comments on all sides. Some benefits to the discussion:
- One thing I try to remember with any discourse no matter the topic, I might not the see fruit I had hoped to in someone else, but did my thoughts, actions and words lead to some degree of fruit in my life? I can say that it did for me.
- I trust that there will be fruit from this discussion that will come later. Perhaps seeds have been planted in people's lives, whether they posted or merely read. Someday, God may bring that to fruition.
- Also, as a now relative newbie to the site, I do have a better idea of the brothers and sisters who are an encouragement (whether they disagree with me or not), and others who are not.
Maybe at this point, if you were really just hoping for an answer to the OP, would be a poll?
Please though, if you do, don't just give a Yes or No option. That's how we got here!
Shabbat Shalom,
Matt
You can't change God's words. "God and the Old Covenant are the same things" is changing God's words. God's principles remain the same. He explains His principles in His covenants. They never change.but don't you see that what you're saying is that God and the Old Covenant are the same thing?
Just because God's Covenant with man changed doesn't mean God changed. It's what He intended from the foundation of the world.
I think you fail to see His purpose in establishing the covenant with the nation of Israel.
It was conditional, dependent on the actions of the people, designed to make us see our great need of a Savior.
The New Covenant is entirely dependent on God through the righteousness of the Lord Jesus.
He establishes, maintains, and fulfills it.
We cannot add to it with our efforts (filthy rags).
We can only receive it by the faith given us in the person and work of Christ.