Is the law a blessing or a curse?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

echoChrist

Dec 22, 2020
Tell me, is teaching that Adam and Eve ate an apple which then caused the fall of man Scriptural, or not?

And when someone says:

When someone invites that, and then are shown where they are promoting
things not in Scripture, would you not then show them their error?

Adam and Eve ate from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.

Not once is it identified as an apple tree.

Yet Blik has named it thus multiple times.

But instead of acknowledging her error, she goes on tirades against me.
No it doesn't say apple but fruit, I think Blik was expressing popular belief.

K

Karraster

Do any of the Christians here see the law as a blessing and not a curse? The 119th Psalm says it is a blessing, do you agree?
The law is indeed a blessing! I like to imagine a world where everybody lived according to the Almighty Creator's laws/government, walk according to Messiah's teaching. But of course that will not happen until our King of kings returns. The Word speaks clearly about the many/majority straying far from God's will. Every day we wake up to a world growing more and more evil. This is why so many on CC speak so harshly of those who love the commandments. May the good Lord open their eyes.
Matthew 24:12 tells us:
There will be more and more ·evil [sin; lawlessness] in the world, so ·most people will stop showing their love for each other [L the love of many/most will grow cold].

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
No it doesn't say apple but fruit, I think Blik was expressing popular belief.
Popular does not equal Scriptural. It is not Biblical to say A&E eating an apple caused the fall of man.

Why promote something un-Scriptural? Will you not acknowledge this either? :unsure:

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
If Jesus was alive in the body today and came to tell you as is quoted in Matthew and John, would you answer Him as you answer posts about obedience?
No, because He would neither employ false dichotomies nor tell me to follow the old covenant law.

The only way to repent is to want to obey the law.
Please provide Scripture that states or at least implies that.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The Spirit of truth will guide you into all truth, and what are you a schoolteacher always nagging about punctuation.
Because you don't use proper punctuation, I have to read your sentences three or four times to figure out what you're saying.

The Spirit of God will indeed guide the believer into all truth. Are you implying something more by your statement?

echoChrist

Dec 22, 2020
Popular does not equal Scriptural. It is not Biblical to say A&E eating an apple caused the fall of man.

Why promote something un-Scriptural? Will you not acknowledge this either? :unsure:
I think deception then disobedience caused the fall.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
The law is indeed a blessing! I like to imagine a world where everybody lived according to the Almighty Creator's laws/government, walk according to Messiah's teaching. But of course that will not happen until our King of kings returns. The Word speaks clearly about the many/majority straying far from God's will. Every day we wake up to a world growing more and more evil. This is why so many on CC speak so harshly of those who love the commandments. May the good Lord open their eyes.
Matthew 24:12 tells us:
There will be more and more ·evil [sin; lawlessness] in the world, so ·most people will stop showing their love for each other [L the love of many/most will grow cold].
In our history it shows that in history the church has led the world into more civilization. AS recently as the wild west of the US, when the church entered it lost its wildness and became tame. The church tamed the dark ages of Europe.

With the growth of the new theology that promotes tolerance, instead of increasing love and acceptance of each other it is resulting in acceptance of sin in the church. It is scripture based, but only if it includes what Paul tells us about managing our will not to be sinful.

A little seventh grader stopped one day to visit with me, she told me she was sexually active because her boyfriend loved her. A 50 year old lady told me that if you date, sex was expected of you now. This has led to the breakup of the family--marriage cannot be depended on today. This has led to one parent homes, and it is documented that leads to crime and poverty. It relates back to the church not leading the world.

Any post at this site speaking of law obedience gets negative feedback. The church is not leading the world any more into being civilized.

echoChrist

Dec 22, 2020
Because you don't use proper punctuation, I have to read your sentences three or four times to figure out what you're saying.

The Spirit of God will indeed guide the believer into all truth. Are you implying something more by your statement?
I just answered your last post, and you still haven't proved me to be in error outside of my punctuation schoolteacher.

Jun 25, 2020
yet Jesus has a better way

if we love our parents, we will not Dishonor them

if we love our neighbor (which includes our enemy) we will not kill them

if we love our spouse, we will not cheat on them

if we love our neighbor, we will not steal what they own

if we love our God and our neighbor, (everyone) we will not lie

if we love our neighbor, we will praise God for blessing them, not covet what they have

the law of love,

love the lord your God, and love your neighbor as yourself. In this are all the law and prophet.

it not in following the ten commands which causes is blessings, its learning t take the love God gave us to love others. And by practice not break commands

thats how God writes his law on our hearts. He does not write commands, he writes the ability to love in every circumstance, and gives us a way to serve others and God (the things of the spirit) and not self (breaking commands to serve self)
What do you mean by a better way?

The 10 commandments have always been a law of love.

Let us look at the following bible verses from the Old Testament:
  • Deuteronomy 6:5 – “And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.”
  • Leviticus 19:18 – “Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself: I am the Lord”

Let us look at what Jesus said in the New Testament:
  • Luke 10:27 – “And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbor as thyself.”
So this means that Jesus was quoting the Old Testament when he referred to the law as a law of love.

The fact that the law is a law of love is not a new or better teaching that Jesus spoke of. It is the same teaching that it always has been. The law was not initially a burden or a curse in the Old Testament and then became a law of love in the New Testament. It has always been a law of love.

The law tells us what love is. The law that was written in stone is the same law that is written in the hearts. And having the law in the heart is nothing new either. It is also found in the Old Testament.
  • Psalm 40:8 – “I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.”
  • Psalm 37:31 – “The law of his God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide.”

echoChrist

Dec 22, 2020
What do you mean by a better way?

The 10 commandments have always been a law of love.

Let us look at the following bible verses from the Old Testament:
  • Deuteronomy 6:5 – “And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.”
  • Leviticus 19:18 – “Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself: I am the Lord”

Let us look at what Jesus said in the New Testament:
  • Luke 10:27 – “And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbor as thyself.”
So this means that Jesus was quoting the Old Testament when he referred to the law as a law of love.

The fact that the law is a law of love is not a new or better teaching that Jesus spoke of. It is the same teaching that it always has been. The law was not initially a burden or a curse in the Old Testament and then became a law of love in the New Testament. It has always been a law of love.

The law tells us what love is. The law that was written in stone is the same law that is written in the hearts. And having the law in the heart is nothing new either. It is also found in the Old Testament.
  • Psalm 40:8 – “I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.”
  • Psalm 37:31 – “The law of his God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide.”
Thats just his doctrine he says to love but with no instruction.

Budman

Mar 9, 2014
The Law is a blessing if it is used as it was intended: As a schoolmaster - to show people their sinfulness, hopelessness, and need of forgiveness - to lead them to the cross and no further.

It's a curse when it is believed that one needs to obey the Law to receive or retain salvation.

echoChrist

Dec 22, 2020
The Law is a blessing if it is used as it was intended: As a schoolmaster - to show people their sinfulness, hopelessness, and need of forgiveness - to lead them to the cross and no further.

It's a curse when it is believed that one needs to obey the Law to receive or retain salvation.
So there is no Law is what your saying?

Budman

Mar 9, 2014
You said I don't need to obey it to retain salvation did you not? So I can break everyone of ten commandments and still be righteous?
You sin every single day regardless. Sin is defined as a violation of the Law (1 John 3:4). God puts the final nail in the coffin when the Bible says if you break a single one of God's Laws, you have broken ALL of them (James 2:10).

If obedience to the Law is a requirement to stay saved, we are all (including you) going to hell.

We are righteous because it is imputed to us - not through obedience to the Law.

echoChrist

Dec 22, 2020
You sin every single day regardless. Sin is defined as a violation of the Law (1 John 3:4). God puts the final nail in the coffin when the Bible says if you break a single one of God's Laws, you have broken ALL of them (James 2:10).

If obedience to the Law is a requirement to stay saved, we are all (including you) going to hell.

We are righteous because it is imputed to us - not through obedience to the Law.
[Speak for yourself] (Romans 6:16) Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?[Thats new testament by the way for those that like to abolish commandments.]

Budman

Mar 9, 2014
[Speak for yourself] (Romans 6:16) Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?[Thats new testament by the way for those that like to abolish commandments.]
So, you no longer sin by either thought, word, or deed?

And if you insist on obeying the Law for retention of salvation, the are 613 commandments, and you don't get to pick and choose.

Good luck.

echoChrist

Dec 22, 2020

And if you insist on obeying the Law for retention of salvation, the are 613 commandments, and you don't get to pick and choose.

Good luck.
Yeah I don't know what Bible your getting this from but life in Christ isn't that burdensome.

echoChrist

Dec 22, 2020

Good luck.
I've been reading God's word all day how can my thought be on sin?

Budman

Mar 9, 2014
Yeah I don't know what Bible your getting this from but life in Christ isn't that burdensome.
Look it up. There are 613 commandments in scripture.

How many times do you sin a day? Just a rough estimate, if you please.