Is there a change in the direction of Christianity today?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 31, 2011
Tent, the law was given for one purpose and one purpose only and that was to expose sin. It does not deliver nor sanctify. Only the cross can do that. It is our faith that is accounted to us as righteousness and not keeping a rule. That faith in the cross produces in us good works, such as going to church or helping the needy or feeding the orphans and helping widows are these not the law.
OK, I give up. You go ahead a rewrite the bible, taking out all law. God promised that there will always be remnents of Christians, God will preserve His word. I must say that it is better to take out law than to take out Christ, and you don't seem determined to do that, anyway.

Mar 15, 2013
I believe in the word of God, I believe in scripture. Scripture tells me that no one keeps the law, only Christ did this. I am NOT Christ in any way. If you read scripture you know this, why do you ask? Are you suggesting that I should not listen to law or live my life as much as I can by following scripture? I do not understand why, if you are a Christian who reads and follows scripture that there are these questions. Are you suggesting, again, that following law is not accepting that Christ offers forgiveness?, Are you trying to make me out as a heathen who uses obedience in an unchristian way? Our disagreement centers on that I think that we must follow scripture and scripture says that we are not saved through law but by grace. That is truth. Scripture says we must obey, that is truth. One truth does not cancel the other. Scripture says I fail. Scripture tells me about what to do with that failure, and that is Christ. You keep talking against law, that isn't scripture. Why are we going over and over this?
You must first understand that God has the right to ask of you whatever he wishes to ask of you at any time he wishes to ask it.

Many harp on the very true fact that God does not change, misapplying that to mean that God cannot ask you to do something yesterday and the annul it today. But the foolishness of this is that the defect is in your understanding and not in the fact that God has progressed with man to do what he has always intended to do, which though it appears to be different to you was always part of God's plan.

For example, Galatians 3:19 "Why then the law? It was added for the sake of transgressions, until the seed came to whom the promise was made, ordained through angels in the hand of a mediator. (Darby's Version)

What part of that do you not understand? Have you deceived yourself that for that to be true it must mean God has changed? Or, are you expecting another seed to come? We know that expecting another seed to come is the place to where many a Jew has fallen. So why do you not understand that law "was added ... until"?

However, I have seen that you try to rationalize the Torah and the Old Covenant as two different things when in fact that bulk of the Torah was the law which was given as a covenant. You will say anything so as not to lose your panicked grip on that Old Law Covenant.

You, just like a Muslim, think that by not eating pork it contributes to your being holy and pleasing to God. And the justifications you use to support that idea are health evidences from the very same doctors who will tell you that one of the most dangerous things to your health is to not wash your hands.

Any thinking person not seeing through tinted lenses over their eyes would see that the same arguments you use to justify that it dishonors God to eat pork, would also dishonor Jesus for scolding the Pharisees concerning their questioning of the disciples for not washing their hands as described in Mark chapter 7.

Jesus was not saying that it is not beneficial to wash one's hands. But he was condemning them for thinking such was so important as to what makes one clean.

While you busy yourselves seeing the external action which was commanded to be done as a picture of something else, you see only the external commandment and not the something that it pictured. For that reason, you do not even know how to meditate in the very law you claim to uphold.

If you did know how to meditate in that law to see the deeper meaning and how it compares to the condition of the world and the need for the kingdom of Christ, then you would know that the many pictures of men and nations in the OT being as various types of beasts is all related to that one prohibition. For it was a way to emphasize to God's people their need to remain totally separate from the heathens who practiced every vile thing.

You can eat of the bodies of such heathens even as Christ commanded we eat of his pure flesh. The unclean animals drove home the point of shunning the unclean ways of the heathens and the clean animals foreshadowed the sharing and becoming one with clean spiritual brothers, all of whom shared in the eating of the unblemished lamb.

Peter knew that but you rationalize Peter's words away just as you do everything else: read Acts 10:9-28 "On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance, And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common. .......................................... And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean."

But no one's telling you will open your eyes, for that must come from within you by a spirit that God is willing to bless.

Mar 15, 2013
Here is another spiritual application of the law concerning unclean animals: 2 Corinthians 6:17 "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.."

Titus 1:12 "One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies."

2 Peter 2:12 "But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption."

Jude 1:10 "But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves."

S

SeekingJC

So I'm sinning for enjoying bacon? That's rough I like my bacon. I thought Jesus said:

Matthew 15:10-11 Jesus called the crowd to him and said, “Listen and understand. What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.”

Actually a lot of Mat 15 seems relevant but I'm a newbie so...don't be hatin the bacon!

God Bless

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
Here is another spiritual application of the law concerning unclean animals: 2 Corinthians 6:17 "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.."

Titus 1:12 "One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies."

2 Peter 2:12 "But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption."

Jude 1:10 "But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves."
Rom. 6:14 For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

Rom. 7:4 Therefore, my brethren, you also were made to die to the Law through the body of Christ, so that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God.

Rom. 7:6 But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

Col. 2:16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day —
Col. 2:17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
So I'm sinning for enjoying bacon? That's rough I like my bacon. I thought Jesus said:

Matthew 15:10-11 Jesus called the crowd to him and said, “Listen and understand. What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.”

Actually a lot of Mat 15 seems relevant but I'm a newbie so...don't be hatin the bacon!

God Bless
My understanding of the unclean meat is the animals in the OT considered unclean are the ones that feed on decaying flesh(pigs, lions, tigers, bears, shellfish etc)
Of course eating animals that once consumed decaying flesh can cause us humans to become seriously ill or even die. Yet all unclean animals were put on this planet for a reason. If they did not eat decaying flesh then it is likely that all meat would be contaminated. Then we couldn't eat any meat. It's like God put them here to "clean up".
Of course now days we have ways to prevent certain animals from being unclean. The bacon you eat most likely comes from a domesticated pig. The chances of it eating decaying flesh is highly unlikely. We also have the ability to properly prepare all foods to kill bacteria that is harmful to us. I mean, the OT Jews did not have a Sears catalog to order fridge.

I will also add, that pork does happen to be one of the most unhealthy meats you can eat despite how it is prepared. If it isn't properly processed then it has bad effects on the human digestive system, and it is also higher in cholesterol than any "clean" meat. So be careful with ya bacon lol. Don't give yourself a heart attack before the age of 40. ;)

S

SeekingJC

Lol Elizabeth your awesome. Yea my wife put me on turkey bacon blech it's gross so really not much bacon consumption anymore. I was trying to both illustrate a point as well as inject some levity but I seems I failed.

Ahh well it is an interesting thread.

Be Good to each other people. ;)

V

violakat

My understanding of the unclean meat is the animals in the OT considered unclean are the ones that feed on decaying flesh(pigs, lions, tigers, bears, shellfish etc)
Of course eating animals that once consumed decaying flesh can cause us humans to become seriously ill or even die. Yet all unclean animals were put on this planet for a reason. If they did not eat decaying flesh then it is likely that all meat would be contaminated. Then we couldn't eat any meat. It's like God put them here to "clean up".
Of course now days we have ways to prevent certain animals from being unclean. The bacon you eat most likely comes from a domesticated pig. The chances of it eating decaying flesh is highly unlikely. We also have the ability to properly prepare all foods to kill bacteria that is harmful to us. I mean, the OT Jews did not have a Sears catalog to order fridge.

I will also add, that pork does happen to be one of the most unhealthy meats you can eat despite how it is prepared. If it isn't properly processed then it has bad effects on the human digestive system, and it is also higher in cholesterol than any "clean" meat. So be careful with ya bacon lol. Don't give yourself a heart attack before the age of 40. ;)
You know, based on what I know of pigs, I consider them the original garbage disposal system.

V

violakat

Since when did Peter become the foundation of the Church or of Faith. Christ is the foundation of not only the Church, but also of everything we believe. Peter's statement was revealing our Foundation, not himself being the foundation.

Christ went be many names. As for the feast of Tabernacles being the Birth of Christ, to me, that makes more sense then Christmas, but for personal reasons.It's also general consensus that Christmas Day is not the day of His birth, but just the day we honor it.

God didn't reject Israel, instead Israel rejected the Messiah.

A lot of the stuff in the "False Messiah" Section, I was never taught. I will say this though, there is more to the Lord's Day, being, the first day of the Week, then you realize. In Acts 20:7, it specifically talks about the believers coming together on the First Day of the Week. Also, we know the Messiah did rise up on the first day of the Week. If you look in Matt 28, it specifically talks about an earthquake that happens on the first day of the week. In fact all the Gospels, record that something on the first day of the week, after Christ died.

Oct 31, 2011
You must first understand that God has the right to ask of you whatever he wishes to ask of you at any time he wishes to ask it.

Many harp on the very true fact that God does not change, misapplying that to mean that God cannot ask you to do something yesterday and the annul it today. But the foolishness of this is that the defect is in your understanding and not in the fact that God has progressed with man to do what he has always intended to do, which though it appears to be different to you was always part of God's plan.

For example, Galatians 3:19 "Why then the law? It was added for the sake of transgressions, until the seed came to whom the promise was made, ordained through angels in the hand of a mediator. (Darby's Version)

What part of that do you not understand? Have you deceived yourself that for that to be true it must mean God has changed? Or, are you expecting another seed to come? We know that expecting another seed to come is the place to where many a Jew has fallen. So why do you not understand that law "was added ... until"?

However, I have seen that you try to rationalize the Torah and the Old Covenant as two different things when in fact that bulk of the Torah was the law which was given as a covenant. You will say anything so as not to lose your panicked grip on that Old Law Covenant.

You, just like a Muslim, think that by not eating pork it contributes to your being holy and pleasing to God. And the justifications you use to support that idea are health evidences from the very same doctors who will tell you that one of the most dangerous things to your health is to not wash your hands.

Any thinking person not seeing through tinted lenses over their eyes would see that the same arguments you use to justify that it dishonors God to eat pork, would also dishonor Jesus for scolding the Pharisees concerning their questioning of the disciples for not washing their hands as described in Mark chapter 7.

Jesus was not saying that it is not beneficial to wash one's hands. But he was condemning them for thinking such was so important as to what makes one clean.

While you busy yourselves seeing the external action which was commanded to be done as a picture of something else, you see only the external commandment and not the something that it pictured. For that reason, you do not even know how to meditate in the very law you claim to uphold.

If you did know how to meditate in that law to see the deeper meaning and how it compares to the condition of the world and the need for the kingdom of Christ, then you would know that the many pictures of men and nations in the OT being as various types of beasts is all related to that one prohibition. For it was a way to emphasize to God's people their need to remain totally separate from the heathens who practiced every vile thing.

You can eat of the bodies of such heathens even as Christ commanded we eat of his pure flesh. The unclean animals drove home the point of shunning the unclean ways of the heathens and the clean animals foreshadowed the sharing and becoming one with clean spiritual brothers, all of whom shared in the eating of the unblemished lamb.

Peter knew that but you rationalize Peter's words away just as you do everything else: read Acts 10:9-28 "On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance, And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common. .......................................... And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean."

But no one's telling you will open your eyes, for that must come from within you by a spirit that God is willing to bless.
It so happens that I don't eat pork because I don't think I am holy, it reminds me I'm not. I reminds me to keep the whole armor of God around me. You eat pork because you think you are so holy that you don't need to think about it, besides that is not what it would mean to you. Pork, in todays world eat clean things, i don't gain a thing health wise. i don't gain a thing holy wise, i doesn't make me holy. It is a crutch i use, so that is my decision. God used pork to illustrate several things. he used it to tell Paul about accepting gentiles, and God used the food of pork to illustrate clean and unclean thoughts, etc. It is what it symbolizes that is important, not the pork itself. It does not symbolize unclean thoughts or keeping the armor of God around you to you, it does o me. I won't judge you if you won't judge me.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Our Heavenly Father has told us all things in advance. Our Lord also teaches us what to expect. Nothing will change what we have been foretold.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
A couple of years ago I became convicted that God's weekly Sabbath day was Friday at sunset to Saturday sunset and that no where in the Bible could I find the change to Sunday. It took awhile, but I finally became so convicted that I started resting completely, doing no ordinary work, at this time. Well, that opened my eyes to even more of God's Word to understand that His Laws were not done away with. As I read many of the threads and posts, I see more and more Christians who are keeping God's 7th day, His Feast Days, and His dietary laws. Some, of course, are still holding fast to the traditional mainstream christian teachings that God's son, whose name was Jesus (in the Greek...but Yeshua in Hebrew) nailed the Laws to the cross and we Christians do not obey them because they believe it is legalism and works.

The following I found to cover the basics of what many are now calling Hebrew Roots Movement:

**NOTICE** I am not accusing anyone of anything. God is sovereign and I do believe we are moving back to the "ancient paths" and we are seeing a change in mainstream Christianity.
You posted well and am not sure waht you are trying to say except that I ear we are to follow the Ten Commandments. Here is waht I say no Bible says
Hebrews 1

New International Version (NIV)

God’s Final Word: His Son

1 In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, [SUP]2 [/SUP]but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe. [SUP]3 [/SUP]The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. [SUP]4 [/SUP]So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs.
Christ is the fulfillment of the Old Law and Christ was not from the levite Priesthood, he was from thr tribe of Judah.
Hebrews 5:10
and was designated by God to be high priest in the order of Melchizedek.
Hebrews 6:20where our forerunner, Jesus, has entered on our behalf. He has become a high priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek.
Hebrews 7:11[ Jesus Like Melchizedek ] If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood—and indeed the law given to the people established that priesthood—why was there still need for another priest to come, one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron?
Hebrews 7:17For it is declared: “You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek.”
Psalm 110:4The Lord has sworn and will not change his mind: “You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek.”
Hebrews 8:6But in fact the ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, since the new covenant is established on better promises.
Hebrews 8:8But God found fault with the people and said: “The days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah.
Hebrews 9:15For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first
Hebrews 9:16In the case of a will, it is necessary to prove the death of the one who made it,

Hebrews 12:24to Jesus the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.

We are after the death of Christ in a new Covenant, under new Laws,(the Law of Love) God's type best described in 1 Cor 13 and where ther is a change of the Law there is a change of the Priesthood as posted above in the order of Melchizadek
Christ is the ned of the Law fro righteousness
Romans 10:4

King James Version (KJV)

[SUP]4 [/SUP]For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
Now all those posted about fulfilling the law and the rich man easier for the camel to go through the eye of a needle you failed to post whatthe disciples asked after seeing this rich man walk away very sad
Matthew 19:25
When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
You see under the law of Moses could no one be saved and Jesus even said not only give upall ones riches and follow him he also said if yuor eye causes you to sin gouge it out better for part of you to go to heaven than all of you go to hell and now the disciples came to ask well Jesus I am seeing that there is no way for anyone to be able to go to heaven curt off this and or that give up all I own WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And Jesus's reply
Matthew 19:26But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.
Now Sister this was before the cross and under Law noone is able to make it to heaven unless they have all thier limbs cutoff and eyes gouged out, being a torso, no one can or still can attain perfection in and under Law being we ar eborn of flesh and blood.
This is exactly what Jesus showed the Jews and the disciples were astonished not understanding. But learned and tried their best to trust Jesus there Spirity that were born dead in flesh were willing but the Flesh is weak and are in need of new life the Spirit that is dead needs new Life and there flesh need to be dead wherer all sin today resides in carnal mindedness
Now after the cross being in a new Covenant of Love twoi laws which are the fulfillment of all the Laws as Christ said the greatest of the commandments are LOVE first God the Father with all and the second like the first our neighboe as ourselves and Chrisat added to that love our neighboe as Christ has loved you and still does.
Under the old: Under the new
We Love to be Loved We love because he first loved us
We forgive to get forgiven We forgive beacause we are forgiven
we stress out to be right with God God at the cross took away the Law fulfilled for us took away the stress
so we could freely love all via the cross, the resurrection

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
All the arguments against the Sabbath being on the Seventh day are from revisionist believers who turned to the Roman calendar. Would believers have changed the order of the Sabbath had the world remained with the Jewish calendar, that is, the lunar? Would people be as quick to change the seventh day to the first day of the week? The Father rested on the seventh day.

Mar 15, 2013
It so happens that I don't eat pork because I don't think I am holy, it reminds me I'm not. I reminds me to keep the whole armor of God around me. You eat pork because you think you are so holy that you don't need to think about it, besides that is not what it would mean to you. Pork, in todays world eat clean things, i don't gain a thing health wise. i don't gain a thing holy wise, i doesn't make me holy. It is a crutch i use, so that is my decision. God used pork to illustrate several things. he used it to tell Paul about accepting gentiles, and God used the food of pork to illustrate clean and unclean thoughts, etc. It is what it symbolizes that is important, not the pork itself. It does not symbolize unclean thoughts or keeping the armor of God around you to you, it does o me. I won't judge you if you won't judge me.
Well then, I guess I have mixed you in with the chatter. I do apologize for assuming that critiqued you.

So long as you do not try to force the Old Law pictorial requirement on anyone else and use it solely for the sake of your own conscience you are not sinning. The sin either direction is to turn God's law (even the temporary add-on written toward sin) into a tool to violate God's law of love. And that is why Paul advocated the utmost respect toward the consciences of our brothers where we differ in these opinions.

Now, just to prove to you that is not an off the cuff new idea suited to the need of buffering you, see one of my earlier posts at the following address:

http://christianchat.com/bible-disc...y-sababth-day-according-god-6.html#post989577

By the way, As a general rule, I don't eat pork, either. And not because food has power to remind me to be holy, either, even as you said of me. Not that I see myself as holy, but that I am kept mindful by the power of the holy spirit which I crave, and it works to keep me adjusted in God's way much more effectively than any food could ever do.

But neither will I accuse those who do of sinning.

You told me, "You eat pork because you think you are so holy that you don't need to think about it, besides that is not what it would mean to you."

Here is the deal: Romans 14:4 "Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand."

Do you get that? You or I might not like the way another is going about their service to God but unless they are engaging in or somehow supporting gross sin which the scriptures distinguish as incurring death (1 John 5:16), I do not make issue of it but instead search out the pathway of love to deal with any concerns I might have.

I am able to do that because I have faith that God's love is superior to mine and my faith knows that God is able to make that person stand.

Look that thread up I included here and you will see how I believe is not new.

I judge only that Paul teaches the sin to be slicing and dicing at each other over what really amount to personal matters between a person and God his Master who is able to make him stand.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
What fad will you fall for next year. Churches are always coming up with stuff that don't work. The answer is the cross and the only thing that will work. Hold on don't give up and it will come. How many of you did the forty days of purpose, did it work. How many did the 21 day Daniel fast, did it work. How many said I'm gonna pray more and read more, did it work? the only thing that works is the cross.
Yes anything of the trying of self effort never works never worked for the first chosen and I was under a heavy burden and my yoke was heavy under Law. Then I read take on
Matthew 11:30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Now when I put 100% trust in Christ the door unlocked and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to this in whom are all the treasures glory Halleluah!!!!!!!!!!!!!