Is this arrogant?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

DWR

I am new to this forum and to posting, so bear with me on this.
Hopefully this will not offend anyone.

I have been reading this site from time to time for a year or so and there is something that bothers me about some posters.

I have seen some say to those who disagree with them that to question their belief of what a verse says is to question the Bible and therefore question God.

I have also seen some say they should not be questioned because they have 15, 20, 30 years of studying a subject.

I have seen some say they should not be questioned because they have a degree in theology, and therefore greater understanding.

I have seen some give a link to a video, or a Bible teacher, or commentary as proof and that should not be questioned.

But the one that bothers me the most is the person that says the Holy Spirit revealed it to them as if the Hole Spirit selected them and not the rest of us.

Is this arrogance on their part?
People who do this very soon lose all creditability with me.
While I may agree with much of what they say, I have trouble getting by what I see as arrogance on their part.

O.K. I'm done complaining now.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Well, as I have 50 years of experience and several advanced degrees in Arrogance...

Seriously, you're very observant, and I don't consier your post to be "complaining". Take what you read with a grain of salt, and be like the Bereans, who were commended for checking Paul's claims against the then-extant Bible, the Old Testament.

Welcome to CC. :)

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

I have been reading this site from time to time for a year or so and there is something that bothers me about some posters.

I have seen some say to those who disagree with them that to question their belief of what a verse says is to question the Bible and therefore question God.

I have also seen some say they should not be questioned because they have 15, 20, 30 years of studying a subject.

I have seen some say they should not be questioned because they have a degree in theology, and therefore greater understanding.

I have seen some give a link to a video, or a Bible teacher, or commentary as proof and that should not be questioned.

But the one that bothers me the most is the person that says the Holy Spirit revealed it to them as if the Hole Spirit selected them and not the rest of us.

While I may agree with much of what they say, I have trouble getting by what I see as arrogance on their part.

Yeah, it definitely is arrogance on their part. What you have to understand is that this is an international, multi-cultural site with many members who are each unique is their own certain way. I get what you said about how certain individuals have stuff revealed to them and them only so we really should listen carefully and follow everything they say. By now, you should be aware that these types of posters are generally not well-received, and with good reason. My counsel is to try to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. Glad to have you onboard with us. Welcome to CC.

Relic

Apr 29, 2020

Relic

Apr 29, 2020
it matters not about how many degrees in theology anyone has...as Jesus said, if you don't
have love, you have nothing at all, and btw that is His only commandment to those of us
who are Christians.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Sounds like you're largely referring to the Bible Discussion Forum (BDF). I've long felt they needed to rename it Pharisee Discussion Forum.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
Like any family you have a cast of characters. One of the biggest problems with a church community is that every member is flawed. Yup. That includes me. Our pastor did a sermon series called The Messy Church. The bottom line is that we need to be humble. We need to be gentle and patient. We never know where someone is in their journey with God. A person who speaks with arrogance may be a fool, confused, mentally impaired or lost. I've never met a true heart for Christ that sneers or acts in an ugly manner. Sometimes people are blind to their own attitudes and behaviour. You can't argue them into a state of grace. You can pray that God breaks through their blindness or hypocrisy. Sometimes when they are shown grace it can break through. It is easy to see when someone professes to be God's messenger and displays attitudes that are not from God. Fresh and salt water do not come from the same place. It is harder to see when we ourselves are at fault.
All of God's people are still flawed and we will struggle every day until we go home, even if we are saved. It is part of the human condition. It is hard to understand people who choose to negative, arrogant or unkind. Let's pray and dance and sing in God's light. The darkness hates that! Let's love on each other, the worthy and unworthy. All the best, laughingheart

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
I sometimes post a commentary excerpt (or video) for a few different reasons (besides the fact that I am a painfully SLOW typist! LOL)... one is, that I think they [commentary/vid] have probably "said" it in a much better way than I've been attempting; two, to provide something that is making a point the other readers MAY NOT have ever yet considered (in just such a way); and third, to provide opportunity for the readers of the thread to come back with their opposing viewpoint (if they have one and so choose) based on perhaps a "more thorough" set of "reasons" being presented (as opposed to just saying: "because I said so [the one sentence I've provided on the Subject], that makes it true"... IOW, to provide sources outside of oneself/ones viewpoint ([but in "SUPPORT" of what has been presented), for others to ALSO consider, or to point toward posts that have been covered on that Subject in the past (since there's always new readers and different aspects of the convo being covered at any given week)]).

Perhaps that is being perceived as "arrogant," I don't know. :) But I always am eager and interested in the CONVO/DISCUSSION (which is the purpose of a "Discussion Board," as I understand it [though I'm not able to participate as much/as often as I used to]). I appreciate it when others bring something to the table that I may not have considered before, and I'm willing to be persuaded by "biblical evidence" (so to speak). That is, if such a direction [in "understanding"] is where Scripture itself leads. = )

Feb 29, 2020
1 Corinthians 8:1
[1] ...Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies.

1 Corinthians 13:4
[4] Love suffers long, and is kind; love does not envy; love does not vaunt itself, is not puffed up

If love is not at the forefront of our teaching and discussion method then we become like what this scripture describes:

1 Corinthians 13:1
[1] Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not love, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

I try to be loving, but sometimes it’s easy to sucked into a back and forth brass sounding contest with others. Which is why I try to avoid responding to such posts. But even Paul stated the following as well:

1 Corinthians 4:19-21
[19] But I will come to you shortly, if the Lord will, and will know, not the speech of them which are puffed up, but the power. [20] For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power. [21] What will ye? shall I come unto you with a rod, or in love, and in the spirit of meekness?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Wheat and chaff, man. Many people say many things. Filter it all through the Bible. If it doesn't match up, ignore it. If it does, pay attention to it.

A lot of people have said "God told me" and what they say directly contradicts something the Bible said. Just ignore them.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Oh, and if you have been walking through the Bible Discussion Forum, please take your shoes off at the door. That place is a mosh pit of debaters and insulters, and we don't want that junk getting tracked all over the carpet. ;)

D

DWR

Oh, and if you have been walking through the Bible Discussion Forum, please take your shoes off at the door. That place is a mosh pit of debaters and insulters, and we don't want that junk getting tracked all over the carpet. ;)
Don't mean to track up the carpet. Maybe I picked the wrong place to voice my concern.
Thanks to all for your input.:)

R

Reformyourself

Don't mean to track up the carpet. Maybe I picked the wrong place to voice my concern.
Maybe you picked the right place 😬

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
No no no, I didn't mean it that way! I was making a comment about the junk you find in BDF, not a comment about you.

But seriously, I recommend avoiding the Bible Discussion Forum. Stick to Misc. or Singles. They are the default cool places to hang out in ChristianChat these days.

R

Reformyourself

No no no, I didn't mean it that way! I was making a comment about the junk you find in BDF, not a comment about you.

But seriously, I recommend avoiding the Bible Discussion Forum. Stick to Misc. or Singles. They are the default cool places to hang out in ChristianChat these days.
Someone with a Theology Degree will still have a lot to learn. After all, they would have been distracted by an awful lot of drivel for at least 3 years.
“And further, my son, be admonished by these: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh”.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

Well if they genuinely / truly believe that then they would say it.. That does not mean they are correct..

Well that may be true but again that does not make the correct..

Never seen that.. And i know that some theology courses teach their students false doctrines.. Again such statements don't impress me..

I have no problem with that.. Some people are not as eloquent and want someone better at explaining things to speak for their belief..

If they truly believe the Holy Spirit has revealed it to them then whats the problem? They are either right or wrong about the Holly Spirit speaking to them.. Just because they believe the Holy Spirit has revealed something to them does not necessarily mean they believe the Holy Spirit has only talked to them about it..

God knows.. I never let anyone who uses the claims above to undermine my belief if i am convinced and sure of what i believe.. They have to get their Bible out and gather the passages and take me step by step through it showing me why they believe what they believe..

But what if they are correct in the actual doctrine/ message they have given?

As for me i don't have to make the judgement call on them as being arrogant or not arrogant. That's something the LORD can and will deal with in His own time.. All i have to do is consider what they have to say and take a look at the supporting scripture they put forward to support their POV..

D

DWR

You are right about the BDF forum.
It is full of really weird questions and even more weird answers.
I did not take your post as chastising.:)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
mmm I dont know some people always feel they have to 'correct' someone else when they probably have a blind spot themselves.

But I do think that the people who constantly go Im right you are wrong arent necesarily being loving. Jesus didnt do that, he didnt need to constantly parade that he was right anyway.

this ticked the pharisees off, because he could teach them at 12 years old what they had to spend a whole lifetime learning, and subsequently, unlearning...Saul/Paul anyone?

R

Reformyourself

mmm I dont know some people always feel they have to 'correct' someone else when they probably have a blind spot themselves.

But I do think that the people who constantly go Im right you are wrong arent necesarily being loving. Jesus didnt do that, he didnt need to constantly parade that he was right anyway.

this ticked the pharisees off, because he could teach them at 12 years old what they had to spend a whole lifetime learning, and subsequently, unlearning...Saul/Paul anyone?
🙄 sorry, but you asked for it.
Mark 12:21
Jesus answered: You are completely wrong! You don't know what the Scriptures teach. And you don't know anything about the power of God.