Is this arrogant?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
🙄 sorry, but you asked for it.
Mark 12:21
Jesus answered: You are completely wrong! You don't know what the Scriptures teach. And you don't know anything about the power of God.
This is nothing like what is written in Mark 12:21 :cool:

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
You are right about the BDF forum.
It is full of really weird questions and even more weird answers.
I did not take your post as chastising.:)
That's about the going rate for most forums on this site. It's not just BDF. Take a look at the threads on each of the forums. Also look and the debates going on in each of them. You have a few who always point to the BDF as the only source of conflict and craziness on here, but they are doing the same things in the other forums.... well with the exception that most of what is posted has nothing at all to do with scripture or God for that matter. Guess it comes down to personalities. Just like anywhere else... you have some good ones and some bad ones.

Try to take it all with a grain of salt. Post what you feel led to post and then just let the water roll of your back.

R

Reformyourself

Jesus answered: You are completely wrong! You don't know what the Scriptures teach. And you don't know anything about the power of God.
Sorry Mark 12:24 🙃

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
I am new to this forum and to posting, so bear with me on this.
Hopefully this will not offend anyone.

I have been reading this site from time to time for a year or so and there is something that bothers me about some posters.

I have seen some say to those who disagree with them that to question their belief of what a verse says is to question the Bible and therefore question God.

I have also seen some say they should not be questioned because they have 15, 20, 30 years of studying a subject.

I have seen some say they should not be questioned because they have a degree in theology, and therefore greater understanding.

I have seen some give a link to a video, or a Bible teacher, or commentary as proof and that should not be questioned.

But the one that bothers me the most is the person that says the Holy Spirit revealed it to them as if the Hole Spirit selected them and not the rest of us.

Is this arrogance on their part?
People who do this very soon lose all creditability with me.
While I may agree with much of what they say, I have trouble getting by what I see as arrogance on their part.

O.K. I'm done complaining now.
Yes on their part it is indeed arrogant. Firstly if you are unable to handle being in a debate and being disagreed with you shouldn't be debating and especially shouldn't play a high and mighty card. We all have different levels of understanding different views and beliefs but if anyone is arrogant enough to think that they know more than anyone else because of some theology degree or simply because to them to disagree with them is to disagree with God than it seems they have much to learn.

You can have any degree you want but if I am not mistaken the holy spirit is the only degree that actually matters

D

DWR

That's about the going rate for most forums on this site. It's not just BDF. Take a look at the threads on each of the forums. Also look and the debates going on in each of them. You have a few who always point to the BDF as the only source of conflict and craziness on here, but they are doing the same things in the other forums.... well with the exception that most of what is posted has nothing at all to do with scripture or God for that matter. Guess it comes down to personalities. Just like anywhere else... you have some good ones and some bad ones.

Try to take it all with a grain of salt. Post what you feel led to post and then just let the water roll of your back.
Thanks for the advice, but don't worry, I have very thick skin.
I have no problem when people offer their opinion on any subject. We all have opinions.
When we discuss different subjects in the Bible, that is a different matter.
When someone has the attitude that I described in my first post, I see that as a problem because in my opinion that will blind that person from learning. We should never stop learning and should always be open to the Scripture changing our mind.
Scripture has changed my mind many times over the years because of what someone said that caused me to study a subject again.

D

DWR

Yes on their part it is indeed arrogant. Firstly if you are unable to handle being in a debate and being disagreed with you shouldn't be debating and especially shouldn't play a high and mighty card. We all have different levels of understanding different views and beliefs but if anyone is arrogant enough to think that they know more than anyone else because of some theology degree or simply because to them to disagree with them is to disagree with God than it seems they have much to learn.

You can have any degree you want but if I am not mistaken the holy spirit is the only degree that actually matters
Everyone should be very careful when they attribute what they believe to the Holy Spirit leading them to that belief.
I have been in a group where several people said that the Holy Spirit revealed the answer to a question to them and each one gave a different answer on the same question.
All could not be right and all were probably wrong.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com

I have been reading this site from time to time for a year or so and there is something that bothers me about some posters.

I have seen some say to those who disagree with them that to question their belief of what a verse says is to question the Bible and therefore question God.

I have also seen some say they should not be questioned because they have 15, 20, 30 years of studying a subject.

I have seen some say they should not be questioned because they have a degree in theology, and therefore greater understanding.

I have seen some give a link to a video, or a Bible teacher, or commentary as proof and that should not be questioned.

But the one that bothers me the most is the person that says the Holy Spirit revealed it to them as if the Hole Spirit selected them and not the rest of us.

While I may agree with much of what they say, I have trouble getting by what I see as arrogance on their part.

Venture to any Bible Discussion Forum (BDF) in any Christian community and you'll find much of the same thing. Arrogance is a factor, yes. Trolling is too however. I happened on an atheist discussion site after a friend sent me a link once they learned I joined a Christian forum that was quite the array of personalities.
That particular atheist forum , and others I ended up seeking out for comparison, had one primary topic of discussion. Christianity.
One thread however was the reason my friend emailed the site link to me. It described how to be a POE, or act out Poe's Law, which was a term coined in a Christian forum, and refers to people who pose as something they're not just to get attention or cause trouble.
This particular site asked for and offered instruction on how to be a Christian POE as an atheist who joins a Christian forum in order to cause trouble there.
Defend what you know is contrary to what the Bible says, was one of the main points. Insist you're right. Claim God told you so. Things like that.

I admit I was disgusted and amused. A people who swear God isn't real really offering advice on how to pretend they believe in what they know doesn't exist. What a waste of life and time.

I would say that is a factor also to consider. Those who aren't actually in the church of faith in Christ and live to bring conflict to your attention.

As pertains to what you've encountered in this community, I'd say perhaps look at it as a blessing. Whatever you've encountered having read someone insists they know for a fact this or that, or the Holy Spirit led them to tell you this or that, seek for yourself that true answer that is found only in Gods word.

In short, if any take away is there, it is to commit yourself to Bible study to learn the truth for your self and your sake. Welcome to the community. God be with you.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Everyone should be very careful when they attribute what they believe to the Holy Spirit leading them to that belief.
I have been in a group where several people said that the Holy Spirit revealed the answer to a question to them and each one gave a different answer on the same question.
All could not be right and all were probably wrong.
Yes this is true as well, the issue comes when we confuse the holy spirits voice with our own and it is a very common issue in fact. To be able to rightly know and hear the holy spirit you have to learn how to listen his voice, his voice is everywhere it can be in something as profound as the holy scriptures or something as subtle as a childs laughter. It is in the flowers and tress it is in the wind that blows on your face, he can and will use anything to speak and teach to his children you just have to know how to listen.

In order to actually know and hear his voice the first and most vital thing is bond and intimacy with him, this is common knowledge yet how many say this and rightly speak what the holy spirit says? Our hearts have to lay down everything we think we know and have the heart and soul of a student, we must seek his heart every day with absolute relentless and abandon, we have to know that intense hunger, to know that kind of thirst and craving to know him and become so much closer to him.

Only then will his voice begin to become clear and he will guide you and teach you in the truth, The lord loves to use the weak and meek to teach the strong and prideful. No matter how many degrees a person thinks qualifies them no matter how experienced they think they are compared to you all the knowledge of scripture they have means nothing if they do not know his voice.
Anyone can know and post their vast knowledge and studies of scriptures but unless you take into consideration of what we know of his heart and unless you learn to truly know and hear his voice then it means nothing.

In any studies of scripture in any theolgical debate and in our own learning and growth in him we have to take on and always keep the heart of a student, we have to have the willingness and open mind to accept that we may in fact be wrong in our way of thinking, that our own views and beliefs may not be the truth of the matter.
Otherwise even if the truth is presented to us we will blind to it

Nov 26, 2012

I’m pretty sure God talks to me. If He doesn’t, the part of me that answers the questions is way smarter than the part that does the asking.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
yea he told that to the Pharisees who were constantly parading how much they read the scriptures lol. and praying loudly in front of everyone on street corners....but they were the ones saying you to Jesus you cant heal anyone on the sabbath..?! its not allowed!

and Jesus was like .....

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Imo...disregarding respect, humility and consideration, avoiding dignity given in a delivery = one sure way to ensure that any valuable and pertinent data given will be lost in translation.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019

Excellent analysis, beloved. The Holy Spirit obviously enriches our lives in countless, astonishing ways. Some folks share their gifts with joyful, prudent hearts. Other folks however thump their chests and proclaim superiority because of it, and it’s simply arrogant foolishness. Don’t ever lose sight of the simplicity of Jesus Christ.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019

Name names! 😁

E

EleventhHour

When the Holy Spirit reveals truth and removes the veil that holds one's eyes their is NO arrogance in that event....... only extreme humility.

No one should boast of it actually, quite the opposite.

R

Reformyourself

Simplicity of Jesus Christ...aaaw that’s nice 🙄