Is using contraceptives a sin against God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila
I live in a Catholic majority poor and corrupt nation and our local bishops say that using contraceptives is a sin and tantamount to abortion.

What will you say about this according to the belief you learned from your Bible based group? Is it okay to know what is the name of your Bible based group too?

There are lots of Bible based groups in the world and I don't know if majority of them agrees with our local bishops.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
People have been using contraceptives for thousands of years and there is not a single Biblical injunction against their use. At least none that I can find.

That said, the Catholic ethic does make a certain amount of sense when we look at things globally.

D

Depleted

I live in a Catholic majority poor and corrupt nation and our local bishops say that using contraceptives is a sin and tantamount to abortion.

What will you say about this according to the belief you learned from your Bible based group? Is it okay to know what is the name of your Bible based group too?

There are lots of Bible based groups in the world and I don't know if majority of them agrees with our local bishops.
How about reading the Bible to find out what it says?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
There are two basic kinds of contraceptives: those which prevent fertilization by physical barrier (such as condoms), and those which prevent further development of a zygote or fertilized egg (such as monthly hormonal-adjustment pills and "morning-after" pills). I'll leave it to the reader to draw their own conclusions on the moral implications of each.

R

renewed_hope

I'm on birth control myself and I will admit I am unsure of the implications of it. I started taking the actual pill, three years ago and this year I started getting the Depo Provera injection and I'm not liking the side effects, altho after the second round it seemed to have quieted down. My gyno wanted me to try the IUD which I am firmly against. I also think the reasons why you are taking bc is important and should dictate whether or not it's a sin. I'm on bc for medical and hormonal purposes because I have severe migraines and reproductive issues both of which I have been hospitalized for and the last time was right before Christmas last year.

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila
Repost.

Members from any Bible based groups, please post your views about this thanks.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I have never understood why catholics don't advocate for birth control. The only alternative is to abstain from sex. All the catholics I know disagree with their church on the subject and use birth control. They continue to support the right to life and do not support abortion. Many catholics go so far as to not support capitol punishment for the same reasons I suppose.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

M

MissCris

I’m a member of a church that is Baptist in name, but in reality is just a bunch of folks who were spiritually starved in their previous denominations and went searching for God. We have ex-Catholics, current Calvinists, Baptists, Charismatics...a wide variety of people who realized their church wasn’t teaching scripture and bailed.

What we believe is what the Bible says- and it does not forbid contraception. It Does say that children are a gift from God-
“Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth.” Psalm 127:3-4

I believe there are legitimate reasons to use contraception within a marriage, health or medical issues being at the top of that list. However, since it isn’t specifically addressed in scripture, the matter should be considered through prayer and seeking God’s will above your own, and also keeping in mind Philippians 2:3- “Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others as more significant than yourselves.”
Also Philippians 4:6- “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.”

If you’re wondering about the use of contraceptives to prevent having children out of wedlock...well, that’s a bigger issue to address.

Last edited by a moderator:

AngelFrog

Feb 16, 2015
There's nothing in scripture that specifically condemns birth control. Children are a blessing from God but there's no mandate that you have to keep having kids.
What would be worse? Someone having kids when they can't afford to care for them. Or having kids when they're actually unfit to be parents?
Or a person using birth control so as not to have kids they know they are unfit to care for, or are unable to due to financial constraints?
Many members of the church are obsessed with worry over God judging the most minute of our behaviors or thoughts, or actions. As if we are all God has to pay attention to in all of creation.
God gave us a brain and common sense, well most of us lol. We should trust that God forgives and that he loves us. And if we know we can't afford to bring kids into our marriage, for the love of innocents, don't do it.

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila
There's nothing in scripture that specifically condemns birth control. Children are a blessing from God but there's no mandate that you have to keep having kids.
What would be worse? Someone having kids when they can't afford to care for them. Or having kids when they're actually unfit to be parents?
Or a person using birth control so as not to have kids they know they are unfit to care for, or are unable to due to financial constraints?
Many members of the church are obsessed with worry over God judging the most minute of our behaviors or thoughts, or actions. As if we are all God has to pay attention to in all of creation.
God gave us a brain and common sense, well most of us lol. We should trust that God forgives and that he loves us. And if we know we can't afford to bring kids into our marriage, for the love of innocents, don't do it.
I agree with you. it depends on the intention. if you really just want sex because you can't afford to raise a child/children, I don't think it is a sin to use contraceptives.

perhaps it will be a sin if you will use contraceptives if you will do fornication or extramarital affairs with someone and you don't want to produce a child out of it.

It is like It is not a sin to use a knife in cutting some fruits or vegetables but it is a sin if you will use it to stab your enemy hehehe!

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Also, if God intends for a couple to have a baby, they will have a baby.... contraceptives notwithstanding. Why do you think they advertise contraception as being 98-99% effective? (or less)

Can't stop God.

Gman

Nov 30, 2017
I have never understood why catholics don't advocate for birth control. The only alternative is to abstain from sex. All the catholics I know disagree with their church on the subject and use birth control. They continue to support the right to life and do not support abortion. Many catholics go so far as to not support capitol punishment for the same reasons I suppose.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
No, what needs to happen is both husband and wife need to get educated on menstrual cycles and then they will know when it is best to come together and not result in an unexpected pregnancy or at least have a very little chance...

The Roman Catholic religion is using what God did to the second Son of Judah because of what he did which was wicked in the Lord's sight as an excuse to pretty much control and lord it over people. Learn about and understand your menstrual cycle and you won't need contraceptives.

Gman

Nov 30, 2017
I'm on birth control myself and I will admit I am unsure of the implications of it. I started taking the actual pill, three years ago and this year I started getting the Depo Provera injection and I'm not liking the side effects, altho after the second round it seemed to have quieted down. My gyno wanted me to try the IUD which I am firmly against. I also think the reasons why you are taking bc is important and should dictate whether or not it's a sin. I'm on bc for medical and hormonal purposes because I have severe migraines and reproductive issues both of which I have been hospitalized for and the last time was right before Christmas last year.
In your case I would advise you to pray, pray and fast if you can that the Lord made take this medical issue away from you and rely on your knowledge of your entire cycle for family planning. There's never a need for contraceptive but if you are use what is least invasive or harmful or damaging to your body as it is the Temple of the Lord.

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila
In your case I would advise you to pray, pray and fast if you can that the Lord made take this medical issue away from you and rely on your knowledge of your entire cycle for family planning. There's never a need for contraceptive but if you are use what is least invasive or harmful or damaging to your body as it is the Temple of the Lord.
Do you also agree that another way for birth control is to work 12 hours until you really are exhausted like the Japanese are doing?

Gman

Nov 30, 2017
Do you also agree that another way for birth control is to work 12 hours until you really are exhausted like the Japanese are doing?
Lol that's the first I've heard of this but I don't think that'll help but as Christian we are call to live self controlled and so whatever area we are lacking we can go to God about it and he will help us

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
Someone mentioned learning about a woman’s cycle and contraceptives won’t be needed. The thing is many women have an irregular cycle. Birth control pills help regulate a woman’s cycle.