Jesus told us to Honor Passover

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

miknik5

Jun 2, 2016
In Luke 22:7 to 22 Luke told us all about the last supper Jesus ate just before he was crucified. Our church has interpreted these passages as saying that Jesus was cancelling Passover and establishing a new one and the rite of communion was established. They have assumed this, for if it is to be obeyed as it is written, then we are to “do this in remembrance of me”. Jesus was honoring Passover, so if we “do this” we will be honoring Passover, for that is what Jesus was doing. Scripture says nothing to indicate that Jesus wants us to cancel Passover and substitute our ceremony of taking communion.
Doesn't 1 corinthinas 11 imply that we are coming together to celebrate the Lord's supper? And it is the manner of the heart as we come together which is most important?

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
I ignore!! scripture!! This entire post is about it being an error that people assume that Christ asks us to ignore the instructions about praise and worship that His Father gave us.
I admit I don't quite understand what you're saying there when you have my quoted remarks to a different member preceding yours.
My post that you quoted:"What if it is you that God finds to be wrong about this? After all, you choose to ignore any information resources that afford a supporting scriptural position for any & all issues related to the Jewish calendar. As is the case with this latest topic. So what if you're the one that is wrong? What then? And I don't think God will condemn the Passover keeper who also keeps the Sabbath holy. Though He may have a thing or two to say about people who condemn His children for honoring Him in such ways. "

miknik5

Jun 2, 2016
colossians 2 also comes to mind

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
And since Christ is OUR PASSOVER who has already been sacrificed for us -- one sacrifice for sins forever -- the Lord's Supper was to be held every Lord's Day, every week. BIG DIFFERENCE. See 1 Corinthians 11.

Only unbelieving Jews celebrate Passover, since Christ is not their Passover Lamb.
In God's kind of time, the sacrifice of Christ was in eternal time. That is what the sacrificial system of using animals as a symbol of Christ was all about. When Christ was sacrificed in our kind of time it fulfilled his sacrifice--we are told that Christ fulfilled.

We are under the new covenant, God communicates with us by spirit not by physical like diet and cutting of flesh. Passover is of the spirit, it is a praise and celebration of what God has done. We do this at the communion table. We are told to follow Jesus and Paul. They celebrated Passover. How can we follow Jesus and Paul and still not follow them?

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
In Luke 22:7 to 22 Luke told us all about the last supper Jesus ate just before he was crucified. Our church has interpreted these passages as saying that Jesus was cancelling Passover and establishing a new one and the rite of communion was established. They have assumed this, for if it is to be obeyed as it is written, then we are to “do this in remembrance of me”. Jesus was honoring Passover, so if we “do this” we will be honoring Passover, for that is what Jesus was doing. Scripture says nothing to indicate that Jesus wants us to cancel Passover and substitute our ceremony of taking communion.
He didn't cancel it; Jesus is the Passover Lamb. We celebrate it by breaking bread which represents His body that was broken for us. And the fruit of the vine represents His blood that was shed for us. As often as we partake of this we recognize the Lord's sacrifice. The Passover was given to Israel as a reminder of the blood over the door post and on the sides keeping the angel of death from killing the first born of Israel and their exodus out of Egypt, which would have nothing to do with the church.

We celebrate the body of the Lord which was broken for us and His blood which was shed for us. Celebrating it was a requirement of the law. If you are to celebrate the Passover as given to Israel, then you would have to celebrate the feast of unleavened bread as well.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I admit I don't quite understand what you're saying there when you have my quoted remarks to a different member preceding yours.
My post that you quoted:"What if it is you that God finds to be wrong about this? After all, you choose to ignore any information resources that afford a supporting scriptural position for any & all issues related to the Jewish calendar. As is the case with this latest topic. So what if you're the one that is wrong? What then? And I don't think God will condemn the Passover keeper who also keeps the Sabbath holy. Though He may have a thing or two to say about people who condemn His children for honoring Him in such ways. "
Praise our wonderful marvelous Lord that he forgives when we are wrong, and when we meditate on Him he feeds us with truth. We have only to be humble and truly listen for His voice. You and I both listen, and one of us is wrong in this and God forgives. God accepts and forgives.

Mar 4, 2020
"16 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. 17 These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ." Colossians 2:16-17

"One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind." Romans 14:5

Christians are allowed to observe the Passover if they feel like it, but it's not a requirement or we'd be back to works-based salvation again, totally undoing the work of the cross. Christians shouldn't look down or judge those who do observe the Passover, though. It's a matter of your personal convictions on the matter.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
1COR. 5:7.
Purge out therefore the old leaven, that you may be a new lump, as you are unleavened.
For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us:
Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness;
but with the unleavened bread of Sincerity and Truth'.
DEU. 12.32.
What thing so ever I command you, observe to do it: you shall not add thereto, nor diminish from it.' -
the point is,
if Christ, in 'life or death' 'added or diminished' to it, He would have broken the Law, = sinned,
and therefore, He would have 'disqualified Himself from being our Saviour...
He did say, "a new commandment I give you" -- He is One greater than Moses

E

EleventhHour

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
Yes, He could not abolish what He needed to fulfill.

Jesus was under the law.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Had Jesus been what people have come to call being under the law He would have cast the first stone at the adultress.

He has completed the law for me and for all, at least in taking away its sting and showing how we may be obedient to those laws which make u love, mercy, justice and faith..

Give a brief read of the law(s) and it will be easy to understand which laws of morality and respect of our brethren make up love……….. It is on your heart and mind.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Yeshua/Jesus fulfilled all the Law and all the Prophets wrote.
No, He didn't. There are still prophecies concerning Messiah that need be fulfilled before the second coming.
And further, Jesus said, not one jot nor tittle will be removed from the law until all is accomplished. If Jesus knew death on the cross would abolish the law, would Jesus have reiterated parts of the law to his Apostles? When preparing them to carry forth after He departs the earth and therein deliver His Great Commission to the world?

The law is written on our hearts, so that we believers will never be separated from them. That means the law is still in effect. That also means, those who are not yet in the faith do not yet have that law in their hearts. How else will they know of it unless or until they are reached by pastors, missionaries, proselytizing, that delivers to them what the laws of God are. So that once they choose to receive Christ and become indwelt by Gods Holy Spirit, they then have those laws in their hearts.

If the laws no longer apply, why are they alive in our heart?
People who tell you the law of God is of no effect, are telling you their plight! Not the Good News Truth!

Yes He did! :love:(y)

Matthew 5:17 King James Version (KJV)
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.

While on the Earth, Yeshua/Jesus was fulfilling every work of righteousness according to the Law of Moses in His human body - every good work was being recorded in Him - just like our works are recorded in us.

While on the Earth, Yeshua/Jesus was fulfilling every word spoken/written by the Prophets concerning the Messiah. True, there is still more to be fulfilled, but He did all that was required while He was on the Earth as the suffering Messiah.

Yeshua/Jesus was born of a virgin, born in Bethlehem, called a Nazarene, circumcised on the 8th day, about His Father's business in the Temple at the age of 12, water baptized by John the Baptist in the Jordan River, the Spirit of the Lord was upon Him, He was the Christ - The Annoionted One - setting captives free, giving sight to the blind.... causing a ruckus with the Pharisees! lol! :giggle:

On the Mount of Transfiguration, He was transfigured while meeting with Moses and Elijah which are the Law and the Prophets because His Human Body was being examined by the Law and the Prophets to determine if He had fulfilled all for us. He became transfigured - He passed His examination.

Hebrews 10:5 King James Version (KJV)
5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

He was now ready to go to the cross and pour out His Blood - the last remaining "work" to be recorded in His Human Body for us - the penalty of sin - death, the shedding of blood.

The Body of Yeshua/Jesus is the Righteousness of God in Christ Yeshua/Jesus - the Human Fulfillment of the Law.

The Blood of Yeshua/Jesus is the Forgiveness and Penalty Paid in Full for all our sins - The Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world.

Yes, When we by faith and by the grace of God, receive the Body and Blood of Yeshua/Jesus, believe in Him as the ONLY SAVIOR - our Savior, Lord and King, we are saved ALL of HIS WORKS are recorded in our bodies.

We are no longer in debt to the Law because it is fulfilled in us and we are forgiven of all our sin because the penalty of sin is paid for in us - ONLY BECAUSE OF YESHUA/JESUS -

Hallelujah!!! :love:(y)

Mar 5, 2020
I know the Passover story. Lambs blood over the door during the Jews captivity in Egypt stopped God from killing the first born in the Jews houses. While the children of others without that blood applied to their door died.

How would Jesus be that Passover lamb today as some say here? He died to make sure he didn't kill first born's again?
Maybe what you all are talking about is the last supper. But Jesus didn't say to carry on that supper for all time. He told his disciples to eat what was then and there so as to remember him. He didn't say this was to be done after that as if a tradition.

Mar 5, 2020
Yes He did! :love:(y)

Matthew 5:17 King James Version (KJV)
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.

While on the Earth, Yeshua/Jesus was fulfilling every work of righteousness according to the Law of Moses in His human body - every good work was being recorded in Him - just like our works are recorded in us.

While on the Earth, Yeshua/Jesus was fulfilling every word spoken/written by the Prophets concerning the Messiah. True, there is still more to be fulfilled, but He did all that was required while He was on the Earth as the suffering Messiah.

Yeshua/Jesus was born of a virgin, born in Bethlehem, called a Nazarene, circumcised on the 8th day, about His Father's business in the Temple at the age of 12, water baptized by John the Baptist in the Jordan River, the Spirit of the Lord was upon Him, He was the Christ - The Annoionted One - setting captives free, giving sight to the blind.... causing a ruckus with the Pharisees! lol! :giggle:

On the Mount of Transfiguration, He was transfigured while meeting with Moses and Elijah which are the Law and the Prophets because His Human Body was being examined by the Law and the Prophets to determine if He had fulfilled all for us. He became transfigured - He passed His examination.

Hebrews 10:5 King James Version (KJV)
5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

He was now ready to go to the cross and pour out His Blood - the last remaining "work" to be recorded in His Human Body for us - the penalty of sin - death, the shedding of blood.

The Body of Yeshua/Jesus is the Righteousness of God in Christ Yeshua/Jesus - the Human Fulfillment of the Law.

The Blood of Yeshua/Jesus is the Forgiveness and Penalty Paid in Full for all our sins - The Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world.

Yes, When we by faith and by the grace of God, receive the Body and Blood of Yeshua/Jesus, believe in Him as the ONLY SAVIOR - our Savior, Lord and King, we are saved ALL of HIS WORKS are recorded in our bodies.

We are no longer in debt to the Law because it is fulfilled in us and we are forgiven of all our sin because the penalty of sin is paid for in us - ONLY BECAUSE OF YESHUA/JESUS -

Hallelujah!!! :love:(y)
You don't believe in his second advent then?

Dec 30, 2019
Our church has interpreted these passages as saying that Jesus was cancelling Passover
Passover is for real this year. We need the Blood of Jesus on the doorpost of our house so that the death angel will pass over our house and no one will be harmed.

E

EleventhHour

No, He didn't. There are still prophecies concerning Messiah that need be fulfilled before the second coming.
And further, Jesus said, not one jot nor tittle will be removed from the law until all is accomplished. If Jesus knew death on the cross would abolish the law, would Jesus have reiterated parts of the law to his Apostles? When preparing them to carry forth after He departs the earth and therein deliver His Great Commission to the world?

The law is written on our hearts, so that we believers will never be separated from them. That means the law is still in effect. That also means, those who are not yet in the faith do not yet have that law in their hearts. How else will they know of it unless or until they are reached by pastors, missionaries, proselytizing, that delivers to them what the laws of God are. So that once they choose to receive Christ and become indwelt by Gods Holy Spirit, they then have those laws in their hearts.

If the laws no longer apply, why are they alive in our heart?
People who tell you the law of God is of no effect, are telling you their plight! Not the Good News Truth!
They are not alive in our hearts... the law of the OT is not longer in effect.

The Ministration of Death and Condemnation is written on the believers Heart when they come to Christ?

The Law of sin and death is written on the believers Heart when they come to Christ?

It is the Ministration of Righteousness that is written on our Hearts when we come to Christ.

It is the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus that is written on our Hearts when we come to Christ.
All rights to @Grandpa

As well the Gentiles were never under the law.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Why do you mislabel the feasts as Jewish Holidays? Are you a child of God? For that matter, is the words of your God in the OT only words to the Jews? You cannot honor Christ as God and exclude God the Father, as you seem to do, and go to Christ as God.
:rolleyes:

I just wanted to roll my eyes to this post and couldn't find the emoji.......lol! :giggle:

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
You don't believe in his second advent then?
Oh goodness..... all these silly "denominational doctrinal terminologies"......lol! :giggle:

Are the words "second advent" even in the Bible? :unsure:

Please tell me what you mean by "second advent" and then I will tell you if I believe it to be true or not. :love:(y)

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
I know the Passover story. Lambs blood over the door during the Jews captivity in Egypt stopped God from killing the first born in the Jews houses. While the children of others without that blood applied to their door died.

How would Jesus be that Passover lamb today as some say here? He died to make sure he didn't kill first born's again?
Maybe what you all are talking about is the last supper. But Jesus didn't say to carry on that supper for all time. He told his disciples to eat what was then and there so as to remember him. He didn't say this was to be done after that as if a tradition.
Yes, I think they are talking about the last supper. The Jews will celebrate with a lamb and other stuff, as gentile believers we simply celebrate with bread and wine and do it often in remembrance of our Lord, Savior and King - Yeshua/Jesus Christ.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
They are not alive in our hearts... the law of the OT is not longer in effect.
Well, I would not say the OT Law is not in effect any longer because it is for those WITHOUT Yeshua/Jesus Christ.

As well the Gentiles were never under the law.
This is an interesting statement.....:unsure: I've never thought about this before.

True, the Law was given to Israel - the Jews and not to the gentiles. I really don't know if the Gentiles were under the Law or not. We got grafted in AFTER the Law was fulfilled by Yeshua/Jesus.

Perhaps we are the ones that got hired at the very last hour and still got paid as much as those hired at the beginning of the day......

Matthew 20:11-15 King James Version (KJV)
11 And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house,

12 Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.

13 But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?

14 Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.

15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?