John 3:16

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 9, 2011
I dont understand why so many christians here seem to be against water baptiism
GOD looks at the heart so then If a person gets physically baptized but their heart Is prideful and some other person doesn't get physically baptized but their heart Is sincere which one would be acceptable to GOD?
Come on man you know the answer.

Romans 4:1-2
King James Version

1 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?

2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath [whereof] to glory; but not before God.

Dec 9, 2011
people, there's your opinions and there's the truth, and only by putting aside your opinions will u ever learn the truth
Someone might think their opinion Is a good Interpretation while some might think that a person's Interpretaion Is just an opinion.

The scripture given to make a correct Interpretation by some should harmonize with a scripture that someone else gives.

If the scriptures sound contrary to each other then there has to be error In the Interpretation because GOD Inspired man to write the scriptures and GOD Is not the author of confusion.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
But not water touched them at any time. Nice devotional touch, but not doctrine.
1 Cor 10:1-2
Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;

John146

Jan 13, 2016
1 Cor 10:1-2
Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
Again, this is reference to passing through the Red Sea and not one of them got wet, but went across on dry ground.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
GOD looks at the heart so then If a person gets physically baptized but their heart Is prideful and some other person doesn't get physically baptized but their heart Is sincere which one would be acceptable to GOD?
Come on man you know the answer.

King James Version

1 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?

2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath [whereof] to glory; but not before God.
Why would one baptises someone who hasnt repented???

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Praise the Lord witnessed 7 baptisms on Sunday and the word and prophesies were given to each and every one. Hallelujah!

Dec 9, 2011
Why would one baptises someone who hasnt repented???
How would someone know If someone repented?
GOD looks at the heart but how would man know In truth?
Man looks at outward appearances.
Btw you responded to my post with a question not an answer:(

Nevertheless GOD doesn't need to see physical outward things to see the truth.
+++
2 Corinthians 10:7
King James Version

10.)Do ye look on things after the outward appearance? If any man trust to himself that he is Christ's, let him of himself think this again, that, as he is Christ's, even so are we Christ's.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Again, this is reference to passing through the Red Sea and not one of them got wet, but went across on dry ground.
The scripture is indicating the Red Sea crossing is a foreshadow of NT baptism.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
How would someone know If someone repented?
GOD looks at the heart but how would man know In truth?
Man looks at outward appearances.
Btw you responded to my post with a question not an answer:(

Nevertheless GOD doesn't need to see physical outward things to see the truth.
+++
2 Corinthians 10:7
King James Version

10.)Do ye look on things after the outward appearance? If any man trust to himself that he is Christ's, let him of himself think this again, that, as he is Christ's, even so are we Christ's.
You responded to mine with a question, now YOU answer it. If you know the truth the truth will set you free, plus you can tell when someone is lying. If you cant, you dont really know Jesus do you? The spirit gives witness. Why would you baptise anyone who hasnt repented. Of course you wouldnt!
Why would an unbeliever be baptised, thats stupid and redundant. Only believers get baptised, because believers have repented. Simple.

If you know of baptism where someone doesnt believe, well I would question who is doing the baptism and the person who is actually being baptised. Phony preachers? Liars? Recall John turned away the Pharisees because they did not show fruits of repentence.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
When you ask someone if they can confess Jesus is their Lord and saviour and they do, then thats enough evidence. If they give their testimony as well, thats another. Lots of ways you can tell. Light shining before men, a hunger for God.. you dont just LOOK at someone and go oh they're nicely dressed, they must believe. You ask them.

Dec 9, 2011
You responded to mine with a question, now YOU answer it. If you know the truth the truth will set you free, plus you can tell when someone is lying. If you cant, you dont really know Jesus do you? The spirit gives witness. Why would you baptise anyone who hasnt repented. Of course you wouldnt!
Why would an unbeliever be baptised, thats stupid and redundant. Only believers get baptised, because believers have repented. Simple.

If you know of baptism where someone doesnt believe, well I would question who is doing the baptism and the person who is actually being baptised. Phony preachers? Liars? Recall John turned away the Pharisees because they did not show fruits of repentence.
I'm not GOD and you're not GOD either.You would have to be perfect If the SPIRIT told you In EVERY Instant who Is In truth.I wonder but only GOD knows perfectly.

King James Version

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
1 Corinthians 10:2
[And were all baptized unto Moses] Rather INTO Moses-into the covenant of which Moses was the mediator; and by this typical baptism they were brought under the obligation of acting according to the Mosaic precepts, as Christians receiving Christian baptism are said to be baptized INTO Christ, and are thereby brought under obligation to keep the precepts of the Gospel.
(Adam Clarke's Commentary)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I'm not GOD and you're not GOD either.You would have to be perfect If the SPIRIT told you In EVERY Instant who Is In truth.I wonder but only GOD knows perfectly.

King James Version

If you are a minsiter you would be careful to pray in the spirit with such matters especially forbaptism canditadtes. Otherwise you have no business in baptisng people in Jesus name. You either cooperate with God or you don't...your choice. Truth or lie. Know the truth and the truth shall set you free.

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
Many profess that one need only believe in Jesus to receive everlasting life and quote the following scripture as evidence: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” John 3:16

The following scriptures prove that there is more to believing than a mental acknowledgment of Jesus as the Messiah:
“Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.” Matt 7:21
“For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.” Matt 12:50

Interestingly, using the same numeric chapter and verse as John 3:16 in the other three gospels, components of the salvation plan presented on the Day of Pentecost are seen and give complete perspective to John 3:16:

Matthew 3:16: Jesus left mankind an example to follow:

“ And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:”

Mark 3:16: A name change must take place. Everyone must take on the name of the bridegroom in water baptism. This is clearly seen in Acts 19:1-6, and conveyed by Peter on the Day of Pentecost:

“And Simon he surnamed Peter;”

Luke 3:16: John the Baptist who introduced the New Testament practice of water baptism declared that Jesus was coming and would introduce another baptism as well that would involve the Holy Ghost along with fire:

“John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:” Luke 3:16

Conclusion: Upon believing that Jesus is the Messiah the Word tells us to search out the faith that was originally delivered to the disciples. (Jude 3) Instructions were first delivered in Jerusalem on the Day of Pentecost: Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Acts 2:38

Obedience to the above instruction is surely the will of the Father.
Wansvic,
I like the idea of looking up the similar references in other gospels. I'd not thought of doing that.

You picked a battle when you chose that particular verse. :) And you spoke a considerable amount of truth.

Hang on to Jesus,
Kelby

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Jesus told us exactly what is the will of the Father: And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day. (John 6:40). As we can see, Christ said nothing about water baptism in this verse.

So if you are claiming that no one can be saved without water baptism, then you are not correctly presenting the Gospel.

At the same time, those who believe must be baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Ghost.
I was looking for that same verse.. But i see you got in first. (y)

As for water baptism that is NOT required for salvation.. Paul said the following about His time in his ministry..

1 Corinthians 1: KJV
14 "I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; {15} Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. {16} And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other. {17} For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect."

Now we know that on many occasions that people received the baptism of the Holy Spirit from Paul as he went about in His journey around the mediteranian countries.. So in the above passage it is clear Paul in not talking about the baptisim of the Holy Spirit.. Paul is talking of water baptisim above.. He was not sent to perform the baptisim of John the Baptist.. But the baptisim of the Holy Spirit.. The baptisim a person recieves when they believe Jesus and they have Faith in the Atonement He secured for their salvation..

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
I was looking for that same verse.. But i see you got in first. (y)

As for water baptism that is NOT required for salvation.. Paul said the following about His time in his ministry..

1 Corinthians 1: KJV
14 "I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; {15} Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. {16} And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other. {17} For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect."

Now we know that on many occasions that people received the baptism of the Holy Spirit from Paul as he went about in His journey around the mediteranian countries.. So in the above passage it is clear Paul in not talking about the baptisim of the Holy Spirit.. Paul is talking of water baptisim above.. He was not sent to perform the baptisim of John the Baptist.. But the baptisim of the Holy Spirit.. The baptisim a person recieves when they believe Jesus and they have Faith in the Atonement He secured for their salvation..
The Word clearly expresses the need for everyone to be water baptized. (Acts 2:38-41, 8:12-18, 8:35-40, 10:44-48, 16:28-33, 19:1-6, 22:16)

Paul's comments in 1 Corinthians concern the fact that people were stating they were connected to the individual's who had performed their baptisms. He also brings out the point that water baptism was done in Jesus' name indicating to whom one belongs upon submitting to the baptism.

According to Paul his primary mission was to preach not to water baptize people. This remark in no way diminishes the need for water baptisms. Each member of the body takes on different duties.

Lastly, Jesus sent Ananias to tell Paul of his need to be baptized:

"And I said, What shall I do, Lord? And the Lord said unto me, Arise, and go into Damascus; and there it shall be told thee of all things which are appointed for thee to do." Acts 22:10

(Ananias) "And he said, The God of our fathers hath chosen thee, that thou shouldest know his will, and see that Just One, and shouldest hear the voice of his mouth.
For thou shalt be his witness unto all men of what thou hast seen and heard.
And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord." Acts 22:14-16

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Wansvic,
I like the idea of looking up the similar references in other gospels. I'd not thought of doing that.

You picked a battle when you chose that particular verse. :) And you spoke a considerable amount of truth.

Hang on to Jesus,
Kelby
Another interesting connection is John 3:5 and Titus 3:5. Notice the reference to water and Spirit.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
The Word clearly expresses the need for everyone to be water baptized. (Acts 2:38-41, 8:12-18, 8:35-40, 10:44-48, 16:28-33, 19:1-6, 22:16)

Paul's comments in 1 Corinthians concern the fact that people were stating they were connected to the individual's who had performed their baptisms. He also brings out the point that water baptism was done in Jesus' name indicating to whom one belongs upon submitting to the baptism.

According to Paul his primary mission was to preach not to water baptize people. This remark in no way diminishes the need for water baptisms. Each member of the body takes on different duties.

Lastly, Jesus sent Ananias to tell Paul of his need to be baptized:

"And I said, What shall I do, Lord? And the Lord said unto me, Arise, and go into Damascus; and there it shall be told thee of all things which are appointed for thee to do." Acts 22:10

(Ananias) "And he said, The God of our fathers hath chosen thee, that thou shouldest know his will, and see that Just One, and shouldest hear the voice of his mouth.
For thou shalt be his witness unto all men of what thou hast seen and heard.
And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord." Acts 22:14-16
Paul recieved the baptisim of the Holy Spirit by the laying of hands.. There is no record of him being water baptized..

Acts 9: KJV

17 "And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. {18} And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized."

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Paul recieved the baptisim of the Holy Spirit by the laying of hands.. There is no record of him being water baptized..

Acts 9: KJV
17 "And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. {18} And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized."
"and was baptized" must be taken in its plain literal sense -- water baptism. Simultaneously, he was filled with the Holy Ghost.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
"and was baptized" must be taken in its plain literal sense -- water baptism. Simultaneously, he was filled with the Holy Ghost.
He was baptized means he was already baptized simply by having Ananias Hands placed upon his and recieving the Holy Spirit..

The Baptizin of Jesus was always going to be different to the baptisim of John the baptist.. The Bible clearly says that they are different.. Water bpatisim was just a OT symbolic representation of the real thing that would come when the Messiah Jesus came to establish His Church..

Matthew 3: KJV

11"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:"

Paul recieved the Holy Ghost when Ananias layed His hands upon Him..