OP...I was in the Army. I am NOT a pacifist. Here are the pros and cons as I see them:
Pro's:
I learned that I am WAY, WAY tougher than I thought I was.
I learned how to suffer.
I got a little money for school.
I learned what leadership isn't.
Military doc managed to not mess up and successfully delivered our first baby.
Cons:
I learned what hate is.
I got some injuries that I'll have to the rest of my life. Nothing major, but still a bit annoying.
I have less tolerance for stupid people than I used to.
I learned how to suffer too well.
Don't delude yourself into thinking you're fighting for our freedoms or anything like that. You're not. What you're fighting for will be to continue propping up a fraudulent economic system. The dollar is not backed by gold but by military might. It's a scam. It's been a scam for over a hundred years now.
The USA lacks the moral high ground for a lot of reasons - starting with our rejection of Jesus. Therefore IMO you will bear complete responsibility for any killing you do. Or any killing you contribute to. It will be on YOU. I don't think you'll get to reasonably say that it's okay because it's war, etc. This is because the USA lacks moral standing.
So am I ashamed that I was in the military? Not really, but I'm sure not proud of it. I did what I did with the information I had at the time. But if I had to do it over again, I absolutely would not. I am very happy my kids are not going in.
Movies that glamorize war do it because they want people to feed into their machine. Young men are highly susceptible to this. Watch these two videos for a different take on the matter. Observe the mind control in the second one. Pray about it.