Joining the armed forces, is it the christian thing to do?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Umn, Indiangirl, you can't just decide your going to leave ,or quit when you think something ends up being wrong. And no, you will not be given orders (at least not on purpose) to throw a grenade or something else into a house if you know there are women and children.

I was in Vietnam in January 1968 when the Tet offensive started. Let me tell you that war is absolutely horrible. I also realize that World war 1, 2, the Korean war, the Vietnam war and war in Afghanistan etc. are fought differently, I'm just blessed and thankful I can wake up everyday and God brought me back home in tact. The bottom line, God does condone war for good reason. Please read the following. https://www.openbible.info/topics/joining_the_military

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto
God bless you for your service to our country.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
There are many war campaigns orchestrated by God in the Old Testament. Without the armed forces in the United States we would all be reading from the book of Marx instead of Mark. As a former soldier of the 101st Airborne Division in the US Army I would say that serving in the military defending this country is an honorable profession. I admire the sacrifice and commitment of those who serve as well because I was once one of them. Not everyone has the fortitude to carry on the proud military tradition of honorable service. I thank God for those few that hear the call and answer it.
God bless you and thank you for your service.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
Yeah, was a Marine in the 80's....never had to kill anyone, but will say....I have no issue with smoking someone that is threatening me, my family, friends etc. with violence and for sure would step in lethally if need be to protect a woman being raped or child being molested....I have a preacher friend that is a pastor that joined the Marines and ended up being an officer and a chaplain....
God bless you and thank you for your service.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
There is a time of war and a time of peace, also a time to kill and a time to heal. Thou shalt not kill is directed at murdering someone...it is not directed at the "a time to kill" statement by Solomon. God has consistenly used faithful men of the bible such as David, Joshua and even Abraham to make war and kill people....even unfaithful believers such as Samson, which made the 11th chapter of Hebrews, the chapter of faith, to kill the Philistines......God honored his request for hus strenght back which he used to not only kill himself, but also 7000 Philistine Lords that were about to sacrifice him to their false god....Obviously, murder is contrary and wrong, however, killing is justified on some occasions....

David.....TEACH my hands to war he prayed.....and God did exactly that.
If I may add scripture to your well worded post that shared the wisdom of Ecclesiastes.

John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.
Just substitute nation for house in this verse. House of course applies too. Luke 11:21When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his goods are safe;

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Hey folks,

So I have always admired the sacrifice and commitment of the armed forces. And I am even considering joining them in the future. But I was wondering in light of some passages I recently read from the bible if it is right by god to join the armed forces. Also I was wondering when if ever is it okay to kill?

Ill gladly hear from you. God bless you.
That is a good question. Is it ever right to kill? Even Jesus said to Peter live by the sword die by the sword.
But there is some things to take into consideration, a sword is not used only to kill it is also used to defend.
Anyone who has seen battle knows there is no black and white scenarios in battle, the other forces are going to kill without hesitation so what do you do? Do you kill the other forces or let them kill you?

The deciding factor is motive why you fight why you kill.
To fight in order to protect your country your friends and family that shows honor and in turn honors God.
To fight and kill for mere bloodshed of course is the opposite. Granted it isn't always black and white war is messy and chaotic but I think if you go into the armed forces with a pure heart and with christ then you are honoring him.
To fight to protect is what real strength is.

Aug 14, 2019
Some soldiers were worried too. They asked John the Baptist.

John 2:14
Then some soldiers asked him, “And what should we do?”

He replied, “Don’t extort money and don’t accuse people falsely—be content with your pay.”

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Each Christian must make that decision for themselves. FYI: The majority of Soldiers never see Combat. If one is put off by the idea of having to "kill or be killed," they can Enlist for a Non Combat Arms MOS, which will usually keep them from facing such a decision.

For every Soldier on the Battlefield, there are seven Soldiers behind the lines who work to support the one.

As for singling out serving in the Military to put forth such a question, I suggest you write down ALL the occupations which you could ALSO ask that of.......... You may find that List would be never ending....

"Working as a ......................, is that the Christian thing to do?

S

Scribe

Each Christian must make that decision for themselves. FYI: The majority of Soldiers never see Combat. If one is put off by the idea of having to "kill or be killed," they can Enlist for a Non Combat Arms MOS, which will usually keep them from facing such a decision.

For every Soldier on the Battlefield, there are seven Soldiers behind the lines who work to support the one.

As for singling out serving in the Military to put forth such a question, I suggest you write down ALL the occupations which you could ALSO ask that of.......... You may find that List would be never ending....

"Working as a ......................, is that the Christian thing to do?
A professional sleeper?
A professional mourner?
A snake milker? That would be stressful. Serious twitches developed from that.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I was thinking of different ones such as Bartender and such, but, I guess those work....

S

Scribe

I was thinking of different ones such as Bartender and such, but, I guess those work....
When I was 23 I quit a waiter job because I did felt like it was a sin to serve alcohol.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
A professional sleeper?
A professional mourner?
A snake milker? That would be stressful. Serious twitches developed from that.
I could probably work as a pro mourner, and be very good at it with my depressed and desperate mental disposition. :LOL: Good that God's hiring...
I think the Scripture gives a solid Okay for mourning, too ;)

S

Scribe

I could probably work as a pro mourner, and be very good at it with my depressed and desperate mental disposition. :LOL: Good that God's hiring...
I think the Scripture gives a solid Okay for mourning, too ;)
I have gnarly skills at sleeping. :sleep: Naps are my favorite activity.

Jul 9, 2020
OP...I was in the Army. I am NOT a pacifist. Here are the pros and cons as I see them:

Pro's:
I learned that I am WAY, WAY tougher than I thought I was.
I learned how to suffer.
I got a little money for school.
I learned what leadership isn't.
Military doc managed to not mess up and successfully delivered our first baby.

Cons:
I learned what hate is.
I got some injuries that I'll have to the rest of my life. Nothing major, but still a bit annoying.
I have less tolerance for stupid people than I used to.
I learned how to suffer too well.

Don't delude yourself into thinking you're fighting for our freedoms or anything like that. You're not. What you're fighting for will be to continue propping up a fraudulent economic system. The dollar is not backed by gold but by military might. It's a scam. It's been a scam for over a hundred years now.

The USA lacks the moral high ground for a lot of reasons - starting with our rejection of Jesus. Therefore IMO you will bear complete responsibility for any killing you do. Or any killing you contribute to. It will be on YOU. I don't think you'll get to reasonably say that it's okay because it's war, etc. This is because the USA lacks moral standing.

So am I ashamed that I was in the military? Not really, but I'm sure not proud of it. I did what I did with the information I had at the time. But if I had to do it over again, I absolutely would not. I am very happy my kids are not going in.

Movies that glamorize war do it because they want people to feed into their machine. Young men are highly susceptible to this. Watch these two videos for a different take on the matter. Observe the mind control in the second one. Pray about it.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I would never join the armed forces.. My kingdom is not of this world and i do not engage in carnal combat..

(Ephesians 6:12) "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

(2 Corinthians 10:4) "For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;"

Jul 9, 2020
I messed up and linked the wrong analysis of Private Ryan. That one is okay. But this is the one I meant to post. The movie was TOTAL MIND CONTROL. I fell for it myself. And for that I am truly ashamed. OP, watch this one. Don't let them control your mind.

Aug 14, 2019
I would never join the armed forces.. My kingdom is not of this world and i do not engage in carnal combat..

(Ephesians 6:12) "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

(2 Corinthians 10:4) "For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;"
Maybe you would change your mind if an enemy threatened your family and neighbors?

J

Julien7

Umn, Indiangirl, you can't just decide your going to leave ,or quit when you think something ends up being wrong. And no, you will not be given orders (at least not on purpose) to throw a grenade or something else into a house if you know there are women and children.

I was in Vietnam in January 1968 when the Tet offensive started. Let me tell you that war is absolutely horrible. I also realize that World war 1, 2, the Korean war, the Vietnam war and war in Afghanistan etc. are fought differently, I'm just blessed and thankful I can wake up everyday and God brought me back home in tact. The bottom line, God does condone war for good reason. Please read the following. https://www.openbible.info/topics/joining_the_military

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto
Thank you for your service!, Based on what iv'e heard about the vietnam war, I regret the conditions of the war and lack of support from home you recieved. Yet at the same time I am thankful, that brave men like you exist(ed), and that they are/were able to fight for our freedom.