Judgment on Jesus' generation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
I would appreciate the views of the forum on these verses from Luke. It is very clear that the generation alive during Christ's ministry had unprecedented light, but to heap all the blood since the creation on them, suggests that previous generations were exempted, even though they killed the prophets and were very often in idolatry too. Temporal judgments, the exile for example were visited upon Israel. Does this mean their sins were forgiven? Is there an individual as well as a collective judgment?

Luke 11:50-51.
50 Therefore this generation will be held responsible for the blood of all the prophets that has been shed since the beginning of the world, 51 from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah, who was killed between the altar and the sanctuary. Yes, I tell you, this generation will be held responsible for it all.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The generation in mention is most likely the generation of the flesh, this age.
Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I would appreciate the views of the forum on these verses from Luke. It is very clear that the generation alive during Christ's ministry had unprecedented light, but to heap all the blood since the creation on them, suggests that previous generations were exempted, even though they killed the prophets and were very often in idolatry too. Temporal judgments, the exile for example were visited upon Israel. Does this mean their sins were forgiven? Is there an individual as well as a collective judgment?

50 Therefore this generation will be held responsible for the blood of all the prophets that has been shed since the beginning of the world, 51 from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah, who was killed between the altar and the sanctuary. Yes, I tell you, this generation will be held responsible for it all.
By rejecting Jesus and His message they had rejected the messages of all the prophets and where just as the Jews who killed the prophets of old.. So spiritually speaking they hated the message of God and killed the ones who shared it with them..

So they suffered great destruction 40 years later in 70ad when the Roman legions destroyed Jerusalem and the temple and cast out the surviving Jews into their long banishment from their home..

Jan 17, 2020

“What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:” Romans 9:22 (KJV 1900)

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
The question is why all the previous generations are not judged for their part in killing the prophets and why all the wrath falls on the last OT generation. Certainly Jesus' generation had far less excuse for rejecting God than former generations, seeing, as they did, the miracles of Jesus and the testimony of John the Baptist but why did every previous generation get exempted? Also we know that every person will be judged, but is there also a communal or generational judgment as well?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Even in Isaiah it is written all have sinned………….Since Adam, all are guilty not only of killing the prophets, for they still do and will, but all have crucified Christ, Yeshua...…………..all the generation of flesh. You question was responded to soundly but you did not understand the respons.

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
Even in Isaiah it is written all have sinned………….Since Adam, all are guilty not only of killing the prophets, for they still do and will, but all have crucified Christ, Yeshua...…………..all the generation of flesh. You question was responded to soundly but you did not understand the respons.
That all have sinned is not in doubt. By this logic all should be judged. So, why does Jesus say that his own generation would be responsible for all the blood shed by all previous generations. You are misusing the word 'generation' if you assert that the whole human race are a single 'generation of the flesh'. Jesus was very clear: there have been many generations since Abel and yet a single generation, the generation alive when Jesus was on the earth, is held responsible for the blood of all.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
The question is why all the previous generations are not judged for their part in killing the prophets and why all the wrath falls on the last OT generation. Certainly Jesus' generation had far less excuse for rejecting God than former generations, seeing, as they did, the miracles of Jesus and the testimony of John the Baptist but why did every previous generation get exempted? Also we know that every person will be judged, but is there also a communal or generational judgment as well?
1st: I don't see any mention of prior generations being exempted from judgment.

Maybe the AMP version will be an easier read then the NIV you posted from. (I prefer KJ & am not promoting or knocking any versions)

luke 11:
45 One of the lawyers [an expert in the Mosaic Law] answered Him, “Teacher, by saying this, You insult us too!”
46 But He said, “Woe to you lawyers as well, because you weigh men down with burdens [man-made rules, unreasonable requirements] which are hard to bear, and you yourselves will not even touch the burdens with one of your fingers [to lighten the load].
47 Woe to you! For you repair or build [o]tombs for the prophets, and it was your fathers who killed them.
48 So you are witnesses and approve the deeds of your fathers, because they [actually] killed them, and you repair or build their tombs.
49 For this reason also the wisdom of God said [in the Scriptures], ‘I will send them prophets and apostles, some of whom they will put to death and some they will persecute,
50 so that charges may be brought against this generation [holding them responsible] for the blood of all the prophets shed since the foundation of the world,
51 from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah [the priest], who was murdered between the altar and the house of God. Yes, I tell you, charges will be brought against this generation.’
52 Woe to you lawyers, because you have taken away the key to knowledge (scriptural truth). You yourselves did not enter, and you held back those who were entering [by your flawed interpretation of God’s word and your man-made tradition].”
53 When He left there, the scribes and the Pharisees began to be very hostile [toward Him] and to interrogate Him on many subjects, 54 plotting against Him to catch Him in something He might say.

Additional notes that may be helpful:
Gen 15:16 But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.
(NOTE: Amorite insight: https://www.gotquestions.org/Amorites.html

Romans 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
(NOTE: Vines definition, "forbearance" a holding back, a delay of punishment, Romans 2:4; Romans 3:25)

In my view a more crucial truth in Jesus teaching here begins in Lk 11:15-20. With their all out rejection of the Holy Spirit & therefore the promised Kingdom Jesus taught was upon them. I.E. judgment passed & the begining of their end.

Jan 12, 2019
You have to look at the parable of the vineyard to understand this, told in all 3 synoptic gospels. (Matthew 21:33-46; Mark 12:1-12; Luke 20:9-19)

When Jesus and the 12 were preaching from Matt-John, they need to repent of rejecting God their Father in the OT, and believe in his Son is their promised King and Messiah, as foretold by their prophets.

But as Jesus told them in the parable of the tenants, they were wicked and decided to slay the son instead, thinking they can then take control of the vineyard. The words they told Pilate was really horrific from this perspective

Matthew 27:25 Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children.

When Jesus was on the cross, he asked his father to forgive them for this act, because they know not what they do, the Father agreed to Jesus request.

So when Peter urged his Jewish brothers at Pentecost to repent (Acts 2:38), they are to repent from their horrific act of murdering the Son of God, and accept him once again as the Son of God and their King.

But of course they did not, so God blinded them temporary, and allow AD 70, as well as the holocaust to happen

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
There is a clue to this in Daniel 9:14 Therefore the Lord has kept the calamity in store and brought it on us. (emphasis added)

Judgment is stored up for the day of wrath. It was poured out on the generation that crucified their Messiah. I'd say God would have been justified in deleting the entire creation for that sin.

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
HOLY SPIRIT DOVE - Copy.jpg Friendly.png "Know this, and know it well."

Nov 16, 2019
we know that every person will be judged, but is there also a communal or generational judgment as well?
Yes...

7If at any time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be uprooted, torn down and destroyed, 8and if that nation I warned repents of its evil, then I will relent and not inflict on it the disaster I had planned. 9And if at another time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be built up and planted, 10and if it does evil in my sight and does not obey me, then I will reconsider the good I had intended to do for it." - Jeremiah 18:7-10