Kind of work

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Studied foreignlanguage correspondent in 4 languages and work as General Affairs in a big international company. Always keepin busy haha
Ive decided Im going to start learning another language this year. I found this book called 'fluent forever' and its giving some good tips so far.

How did you learn your four languages?? Class, studying in books, or full immersion?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Tell me posthuman are there fortune 499 companies or fortune 501s that dont make the list.
What do they do? Or are they out of luck.
lol it's meaningless. i think the list is the companies that have the biggest amount of money flowing through them? the company i do work for is very wealthy; i have nice toys in my lab :) 501'st wealthiest company is still very rich

i really love how my job boils down to find the truth, tell it. @Belka that's kind of what i was talking about. i live a quiet life, i don't work in a church or lead a ministry or anything, but the job God put me in is proclaiming the truth. it still glorifies Him, and i do it as though i'm doing it for Him -- i go to a lot of pains to make sure everything i report is true. to me, that's serving Him too. not to discourage you from ambition, just to encourage you in case you worry over it. whatever you do. do it as tho God is your boss, not whoever your human boss is. :)

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
interesting jobs people...I wonder if there is anyone whos had the same job for over 10 years? These days its more people do gigs then stay with one thing forever. Or it might be just me lol. I get a bit restless if Im stuck in one job doing the same thing all the time.
The longest stay with a single employer was 12 years. The facility that I worked in was consolidated with 2 others and mine got right-sized which is a business euphemism for getting the shaft. This was not the first time for me either, years ago the same thing happened for another company I worked for.

Currently I am working in a distribution center which has exclusive rights to distribute Nespresso coffee for Nestle, machines, and accessories.

Hopefully, I can reduce my work load in a year or two or just stop working altogether. I have been working for the man since I turned 17 and now I'm 65, tired and getting burned out. The daily grind is wearing me out. Like I told my boss a few months ago, "What's the freaking point?"

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Yeah, that's a good point, @Lynx .

I am just not sure I'd have the energy / time to focus on doing something really worthwhile for the Kingdom if most of my days are spent doing some kind of secular job.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm meant to have a "regular job" and just witness to people there. That's kind of what I did when I was working in a call center. But I just feel like I'm meant to do something significant for the Kingdom and not sure what that is or how to get there. Like some kind of actual ministry. Hm.
It could very well be that your current work assignment is your ministry and the work that you do has great significance for the Kingdom. Anyway, that's how I feel about my job. If everyone was a pastor or a minister who would be left to preach to. The choir? Somebody has to do the heavy lifting or else everyone would be unemployed.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Do pastors and ministers not do any heavy lifting?
Surely they must carry some heavy Bibles or something.

What about Arthur Blessit. Went round the world carrying a huge 12 foot cross. It had wheels on it, but still pretty heavy.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Ive decided Im going to start learning another language this year. I found this book called 'fluent forever' and its giving some good tips so far.

How did you learn your four languages?? Class, studying in books, or full immersion?
Grew up bilingual and did my accociates degree with the other two. All through school, apps and music

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Grew up bilingual and did my accociates degree with the other two. All through school, apps and music
Good one I was supposed to grow up bilingual but never did. I then ended up teaching english since it became my default. Everyone would say 'you speak such good english' when I'd really done nothing...to deserve it. English has become such a universal langauge but I wonder how much competition its got from other languages. The French dont like it. They try to keep their langauge pure and resent english words creeping in, but English is like, we dont care, lets cannibalise other languages.

The interesting thing about the alphabet is...it can transcribe most other languages as well. Languages that never had been written down before suddenly become accessible to anyone who can read. Ive always found it amazing that Hebrew has survived and people that never spoke nor read it before now learn it in Israel.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
The longest stay with a single employer was 12 years. The facility that I worked in was consolidated with 2 others and mine got right-sized which is a business euphemism for getting the shaft. This was not the first time for me either, years ago the same thing happened for another company I worked for.

Currently I am working in a distribution center which has exclusive rights to distribute Nespresso coffee for Nestle, machines, and accessories.

Hopefully, I can reduce my work load in a year or two or just stop working altogether. I have been working for the man since I turned 17 and now I'm 65, tired and getting burned out. The daily grind is wearing me out. Like I told my boss a few months ago, "What's the freaking point?"
That is happening more and more, I was with one organisation for about 7 years and every couple of years there was some restructure or another. I got a bit tired of that happening all the time.

I never take anything for granted now, job wise.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Good one I was supposed to grow up bilingual but never did. I then ended up teaching english since it became my default. Everyone would say 'you speak such good english' when I'd really done nothing...to deserve it. English has become such a universal langauge but I wonder how much competition its got from other languages. The French dont like it. They try to keep their langauge pure and resent english words creeping in, but English is like, we dont care, lets cannibalise other languages.

The interesting thing about the alphabet is...it can transcribe most other languages as well. Languages that never had been written down before suddenly become accessible to anyone who can read. Ive always found it amazing that Hebrew has survived and people that never spoke nor read it before now learn it in Israel.
Hebrew and Italian are on my bucket list haha

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
That is happening more and more, I was with one organisation for about 7 years and every couple of years there was some restructure or another. I got a bit tired of that happening all the time.

I never take anything for granted now, job wise.
Neither do I. Maintaining employment is a very fluid situation. To advance, you have to stay at the top of your game.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
my aim in most jobs is to do myself OUT of a job.
If you have been doing the same job over and over you never complete it so can you actually say youve done anything? or even improved?

for example...in libraries I set them up and then train up librarians to keep them running and they in turn train others. Or if Im teaching say english or anything, gardening, cooking etc I will teach and demonstrate on that topic until my students have enough knowledge and experience so that THEY can then teach that skill to others.

There is really no point in NOT passing what youve learned on to others and constantly refreshing and upskilling yourself. There is always something to learn...always.

In most things I aim to to reach Masters level. When you reach Master level (or teacher as some translations have it) you are ready to pass that skill on. The only barrier it seems is people who try to keep you on a lower level and dont want you to advance, because they feel in some way threatened. But thats kind of self sabotage if you ask me. If you reach the stage where you think theres nothing new to learn and you think you know it all thats just pride rearing its ugly head.

all the best athletes know that they cant continue on forever. They can only win the gold for so many seasons until they need to retire and then coach others.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
ok most people are out of a job right now it seems.
But that doesnt mean all the housework/homework is done...as most of us know that never ends...!

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
I work in a laundry. On a paid 3-week vacation. :cool:

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I work at a shelter that works with families that have minor children. My day will vary from phones, to computer, to cleaning units, to restocking supplies, to delivering mail, ect ect ect. It’s one of those jobs that completely wipes you out but you’d not change a thing.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
artsie what do you mean by 'minor children'? Are there 'major children'?

My cat went to work today and caught a mouse. But think is she bought it INTO the house to show us. Mum told her off.

Prycejosh1987

Jul 19, 2020
I do things that bare unpaid and i do things that i get paid to do. I work at the hotel, but i would like to go back into retail. I left pound-land because the hours weren't suitable, its too much work for rubbish pay. If i work at this new store the hours and pay will be better, the work at the hotel is beautiful.

Sep 28, 2019
I w*rk at a fast food factory. It's a decent job, I make the money I need and I don't have a lot of stress. I could be doing a lot more with my life, but it's not worth the cost to me.
Respect ✊

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Never worked in a hotel I supose it depends on how big the hotel is and how many stars it has I guess. Some hotels can be quite grand, others cozy. Hospitality is a gift.

Ive learned a bit from working in retail now...with supply and demand you can never really predict demand unless you really know your customers. You could do all the marketing etc and still not sell a thing if you are not reaching the right people or your prices are too high or whatever. Retail does send so much unsold goods back and you wonder why people would buy certain items. I think one of the good things about retail though, is despite all the things against it, people really like having a good choice when they are shopping, not to be overwhelmed with too much, they want quality but not quantity and they want to try before they buy.

I never knew why some people would look down on retailers or merchants. If we didnt have shops or shopkeepers youd just end up having to buy big crates of stuff half of which you'd have to end up biffing.

Oct 23, 2021
S.W. Missouri
I have done many different jobs throughout my life. My main job was as a C.N.A. in nursing facilities for 30+ years. I am now working for a funeral home. I do body recovery, and love it way more than I probably should.