Laundry Mat

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Found the laundry mat an interesting spot.....Just hand your laundry over to me and we can take care of it together....Now let me show you how to separate piles of different colors and not too much soap as we don't want to have that accident again now do we?

S

ServantStrike

Since this is here.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove things like motor oil, transmission fluid, or heavy weight oils from clothing? Specifically, from modacrylic or nomex with a bit of aramid (kevlar) thrown in? Heck from cotton too, although that's probably a lost cause.

Any tips on how to do this without making the washing machine smell like a refinery? I learned my lesson with gun cleaning rags - man that kerosene smell got old fast. Not sure why the bananna oil didn't last, but the kero was the only part of hoppes number 9 that was still detectible after the rinse cycle.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Found the laundry mat an interesting spot.....Just hand your laundry over to me and we can take care of it together....Now let me show you how to separate piles of different colors and not too much soap as we don't want to have that accident again now do we?
Perhaps we should use the extra rinse option and then check out the spin cycle.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Since this is here.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove things like motor oil, transmission fluid, or heavy weight oils from clothing? Specifically, from modacrylic or nomex with a bit of aramid (kevlar) thrown in? Heck from cotton too, although that's probably a lost cause.

Any tips on how to do this without making the washing machine smell like a refinery? I learned my lesson with gun cleaning rags - man that kerosene smell got old fast. Not sure why the bananna oil didn't last, but the kero was the only part of hoppes number 9 that was still detectible after the rinse cycle.
You are obviously a helpless bachelor when it comes to laundry. I was there once so don't feel too bad. Perhaps someone will take notice and offer to help you. Then your clothes will smell fresh and pretty instead of oily and being a fire hazard.

K

Kaycie

This is a sore spot for me right now. I want to do laundry perfectly but I can't do it at all right now unless I drag it to someone else's house, and I'm without a car right now. My landlord won't fix it, and I'm even afraid to go to church in fear that my clothes stink. I've cried about it. It's been months. I'm even afraid to answer the door cause I save my cleanest clothes for church. I used to go at every opportunity, now it's down to Sunday mornings.

CatHerder

Mar 20, 2013
Since this is here.

This seems to have a lot of helpful hints.

http://www.wisebread.com/14-effective-grease-and-oil-stain-removal-tips

I found #3 quite interesting.

cheese_whiz.jpg

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
This is a sore spot for me right now. I want to do laundry perfectly but I can't do it at all right now unless I drag it to someone else's house, and I'm without a car right now. My landlord won't fix it, and I'm even afraid to go to church in fear that my clothes stink. I've cried about it. It's been months. I'm even afraid to answer the door cause I save my cleanest clothes for church. I used to go at every opportunity, now it's down to Sunday mornings.
When I was in Maine my car had broken down and I had to walk to the laundry mat that was about a 1/2 mile away. In winter it is treacherous due to the ice and bitter cold. Your post was sad to me. I have said a prayer for your situation.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
This post breaks my heart....I checked your profile and we live too far apart for me to get in the car and help you out. But my dear listen to me. If the people in your church are Christ centered please get on the phone and call one of those dear people up and ask for help. We have to learn to receive as well as give. Please don't be too proud and even if you are new at your church call up the pastor and let him know your situation. Offer a few dollars to one of them to allow you to clean your clothes. If we can't love and help one another then what good are we to each other? God loves you and your problem is solved a phone call away..... If I would do it all the way from Florida someone in your area would love you enough to help you out. Please reach out to someone from your church. Please don't make me get in the car to drive all the way to you....lol

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Since this is here.

First I would google information about the cleaning then I would take clothes and recommended cleaning materials to a laundry mat and stink up their machines the first go round....Then take them back to my place and wash them again....just to make sure.... That's this Blonds advise to you.....Good luck....happy sanitizing.....lol

Fenner

Jan 26, 2013
A washing machine won't permanently remove those oil's and chemicals, don't dry them, you could start a fire. Take them to a dry cleaners, they have chemicals and things to remove smell's oil's. I work part time at a laundromat and my Father owned a dry cleaners for years. They also have what they call and O Zone room, at least the man I work for does. If there is a fire or strong odor he puts them in this room for a period of time to remove the smell.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
My wife is doing laundry today. She made me take my favorite hoodie off because she said that there was coffee stains on it and that it smelled like smoke. I do laundry also but she does not fully trust me to do this as basically I don't know what I am doing. I am a klutz at folding clothes too but I do know where all the clean stuff goes so I will do that later. Anything to help out. Even though she uses Downey fabric softener she also uses Bounce sheets in the dryer. It makes the clothes fresh and crisp. I do know a few things so I guess that I am not totally inept. As I am not a helpless bachelor anymore there is no need to go to the laundry mat by myself. We have our own washer and dryer and they are both buzzing right now and making cleaning type noises. It is part of the healing process.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Dear future wife, whomever you are: That is one thing you will please not do. If you want to cook a meal now and then I will be willing to relenquish the kitchen occasionally, but I do my own laundry. Please do not try to be helpful and do it for me. I don't want any foo-foo fabric softener and I sometimes have more-than-average grime on my clothes and want to add something else to the wash cycle (like borax or in extreme cases that purple degreaser stuff.) I have no idea how to wash your "delicates" so I will leave that to you, but I will be unhappy if you try to wash my stuff.

Thank you for understanding and I hope that instead of being offended you will be relieved that you don't have to mess with my laundry.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Dear future wife, whomever you are: That is one thing you will please not do. If you want to cook a meal now and then I will be willing to relenquish the kitchen occasionally, but I do my own laundry. Please do not try to be helpful and do it for me. I don't want any foo-foo fabric softener and I sometimes have more-than-average grime on my clothes and want to add something else to the wash cycle (like borax or in extreme cases that purple degreaser stuff.) I have no idea how to wash your "delicates" so I will leave that to you, but I will be unhappy if you try to wash my stuff.

Thank you for understanding and I hope that instead of being offended you will be relieved that you don't have to mess with my laundry.

You probably will not want to use this product on her 'delicates'.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I would not use that on anything. But I do use Dawn dishwashing liquid for shampoo. For degreaser I use Purple Power. Yeah, that's a brand name... not very creative branding, but the stuff works.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I would not use that on anything. But I do use Dawn dishwashing liquid for shampoo. For degreaser I use Purple Power. Yeah, that's a brand name... not very creative branding, but the stuff works.
"Purple Power"??!!! That sounds like Barney the Dinosaur... wearing tights and sporting a cape...

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Yeah but it works a lot better than Barney ever did. Barney was the music equivalent of junk food - kept kids entertained but didn't really have any benefit.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Yeah but it works a lot better than Barney ever did. Barney was the music equivalent of junk food - kept kids entertained but didn't really have any benefit.
Well, no lasting benefit anyways. He had a problem separating his whites - I'm challenged in this regard also. Barney has taught the urchins that in a perfect, virtual world everyone's clothes are always crisp and clean. As a public service I will get some Woolite and dye him another color revealing his true nature.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

"This is what it is all about, kids. You will need lot's of quarters for the machines..."

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Put in the new RED Ron Jon shirt with white socks and other important clothing.....I believe it was the first time to wash the RED shirt.....On a wish and a prayer hopped there would not be pink socks to put into tourists dresser drawer......Whew......got by that one the socks are still white.......Blond wins again.......