Logical fallacies

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
U

UnderGrace

Yes, but truth cannot be invalid, unsound, or illogical.
Agree somewhat, Truth definitely cannot be invalid, while I see logic for the most part being applicable/useful, it definitely is a human construct and human reasoning cannot always meet how God reasons (truth).

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Agree somewhat, Truth definitely cannot be invalid, while I see logic for the most part being applicable/useful, it definitely is a human construct and human reasoning cannot always meet how God reasons (truth).
yes -- God's definition of truth, God's definition of validity, God's definition of soundness, God's definition of logical.

human definitions and use of these terms may vary ;)

JustEli

Dec 23, 2018
I really wanted to crack a joke about ism's and the lack thereof within this thread, thereby
rendering the convo null and void. Of course I would have had to throw some absolutes like
always and never ( preferably opposing one another ) into the mix.

Anyway, good thread, much food for thought, thanks! :)

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Antifa is strictly anti-white-supremacist. they're the people protesting at neo-nazi parades.
they are a far-left, radically liberal group; white supremacy is far-right, radically conservative.
Sorry, I got my hate groups mixed up.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
That would be full of gas. ;)
What begins as tragedy, usually ends as far(t)ce.

And anybody that doesn't agree with me is going to hell.
(scare tactic or appeal to fear fallacy)

Jul 23, 2018
Antifa is strictly anti-white-supremacist. they're the people protesting at neo-nazi parades.
they are a far-left, radically liberal group; white supremacy is far-right, radically conservative.
Go deeper
They employ fascist violence against peaceful groups then call the other side fascist.

Jul 23, 2018
Sorry, I got my hate groups mixed up.
Antifa is pro communist anti american fascist fuelled and funded by soros.
They cover their faces to avoid arrest from violent acts against unsuspecting good americans.

Antifa is evil.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Straw Man Argument?

I dunno, but I could figure this out...
if I only had a brain.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Antifa is pro communist anti american fascist fuelled and funded by soros.
They cover their faces to avoid arrest from violent acts against unsuspecting good americans.

Antifa is evil.
I agree with your estimate.

Jul 23, 2018
it's when, instead of discussing what someone has actually said, you make up something absurd, claim they have said it, and then argue against that absurd thing, as though debunking the absurd argument makes the actual argument invalid.

one super-common example is this:
  • Joe says having been found in Christ, he is not under the law of Moses.
  • Bob believes the Christian is under the law of Moses, and argues to Joe that 'workers of lawlessness' will not enter the kingdom of God, and accuses Joe of trying to justify living in sin.
    • Joe never said he was lawless.
    • Bob has created a strawman - 'whoever is not under Moses is lawless' - and Bob is arguing against this imaginary person.
    • Bob falsely claims that Joe is talking about living in sin, and tries to change the conversation from 'are we under Moses' to 'is the Christian supposed to continue to live in sin' --- the real argument, over whether believers are under Moses, is an argument Bob cannot win, so he creates a 'strawman argument' that he can win. Bob's logic:
      • you cannot continue loving and living in sin and be a Christian
      • therefore the Christian is under Moses
    • the flaw in Bob's logic is that not being under Moses is not equivalent to loving wickedness and living in sin.
      • Joe never said he loves sin.
      • Joe never said he wants to live in wickedness.
      • the 'strawman' says those things, but the strawman is imaginary; no one in the conversation actually says or believes the things Bob is arguing about.
      • Bob has ducked the real topic, which he can't argue, and tried to divert the discussion to something else, that he can.

basically, a strawman is an imaginary person making an imaginary argument.
it's a deceitful, diversionary tactic one uses when they can't win the real argument with the real person.
Exactly
A nothing burger introduced and yet it bizarrely catches on,and a rabbit trail is born

JustEli

Dec 23, 2018
I forgot to mention '' critical thinking '' ......................................
In order to sound super duper smart n stuff, you gotta accuse some one
of lacking ""critical thinking"" skills.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Go deeper
They employ fascist violence against peaceful groups then call the other side fascist.
Correct. In essence they are thugs who should have all been locked up by now, but have been allowed to run loose. They are the real fascist falsely claiming to be anti-fascists. And the billions of dollars from Soros have been funding this kind of anarchy, as well as Black Lives Matter, and all kinds of other disruptive and anti-democratic activities. Here's another guy (a former Nazi but a Hungarian Jew nonetheless) who should have already been locked up and had his assets confiscated.

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (INTELLIHUB) — Despite that fact that ANTIFA members were labeled “anarchist extremists” by the New Jersey Department of Homeland Security on June 12, the radical leftists continue to operate with impunity all across the United States.

ANTIFA members usually show up to rallies and marches sporting all black attire with red accents, like masks, dew rags, bandanas, wristbands, and shoelaces, somewhat similar to those worn the skinhead movement. On days of protest it’s not out of the ordinary to spot ANTIFA members either masking up or unmasking themselves in random inconspicuous public areas.

Who is funding ANTIFA?
Billionaire leftist George Soros is the most likely candidate. We know this because back in April a California faction of ANTIFA demanded that they be paid the money which they were promised.

On April 2, Beverley Hills Antifa tweeted: “Antifa demands George Soros pay us the money he owes. Unite comrades and fight for $15/hour. #Resist.”

https://www.intellihub.com/did-billionaire-leftist-george-soros-break-his-promise-to-antifa/

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Just as the moral law or laws of nature are from God so is the laws of logic. After all God is the example of all logical.

There are three fundamental laws of logic.

The law of identity
The law of noncontradiction
The law of the excluded middle

You can see these examples through God.

The laws of Logic and reason we as humans use but that doesn't mean we made them up. Because to argue against them is self defeating.

We obviously can use them right or wrong. This is why it is praised to get wisdom and warned against living in foolishness.

One can only be logical or in contradiction the individual is illogical.

Reality compliments God and logic and reason is the way to understand how the two are interwoven together. And that best explains our world.

7seasrekeyed

Is a plant-based patty the same thing as a nothing burger?
they might get alot of interest calling it a weed burger

still plant based :unsure::whistle:

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
they might get alot of interest calling it a weed burger

still plant based :unsure::whistle:
LOL!

I wonder if they've slowly (over years' time) been incrementally adding a greater percentage of "weed" to the beef (20% weed, then 30% weed, then 40% weed, and so on...), so that, once they get to, say, 100% weed (and ppl have been eating the 90-95% weed already for awhile now), they finally "INTRODUCE" it as their NEW "weed-burger" ('plant-based burger') and people respond by saying, "WOW! It tastes JUST LIKE beef! [that we have been eating]". Well, yeah... LOL! :LOL:

:sneaky::unsure::whistle: