Love was not the core of Jesus" message.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
People can get from the bible whatever they want, most preferences in this age we live in is the "touchy-feely" gospel
God shows us some hard truths we have to deal with. His people do, the snowflakes prefer their broad road. For them the calling was not effectual

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
The "core" of the entire bible is God's sovereignty.

NotmebutHim

May 17, 2015
I believe that both God's hatred of sin and His wrath against it are expressions of His love.

The Scriptures don't say that "God is hate" or "God is wrath", but they DO say that "God is love".

And because Jesus IS God, He knows fully well what love is; therefore love IS the core of His message and His Gospel.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
I believe that both God's hatred of sin and His wrath against it are expressions of His love.

The Scriptures don't say that "God is hate" or "God is wrath", but they DO say that "God is love".

And because Jesus IS God, He knows fully well what love is; therefore love IS the core of His message and His Gospel.
Not so sure about that .....I've ever seen in scripture that "God is love" God does love but God IS love? Point me to the right scripture please.
God does hate and Gods wrath is on the wicked
In Proverbs there are 6 things God hates

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
Not so sure about that .....I've ever seen in scripture that "God is love" God does love but God IS love? Point me to the right scripture please.
1 John 4:7-10 King James Version (KJV)
7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
1 John 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
I found out awhile back through a serious study of the term agape, the riches and depth of real love. There are several words translated as love in Scripture, but this word only is used of Gods love, it’s quite different than our human counterpart.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Love" Was Not The Core of Jesus' Message
Sadly, the average person thinks Jesus' main message was about love. While it is true that love figured prominently in His message, it was not the core of his proclamation and certainly wasn't what got Him crucified. Neither the Romans nor the Jewish authorities would have been particularly bothered by a Jewish prophet who ran around telling people to love God and love people.
In a nutshell, Jesus' message is summarized in Mark's description of His ministry. (Emphasis Added)
  • Now after John had been taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God, and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel." (Mark 1:14-15 NASB)
In fact, Jesus never stopped talking about the "kingdom of God", which phrase is used over 50 times in the four Gospels alone. Matthew, however, used it only four times, apparently preferring the synonymous "kingdom of heaven", which occurs 32 times in his book. This coming kingdom was not only at the heart of many of Jesus' parables (likened to a mustard seed, a pearl of great price, a banquet given by a king, etc), but He even said that the proclamation of the Kingdom was the reason He was sent to earth.
  • But He said to them, "I must preach the kingdom of God to the other cities also, for I was sent for this purpose." (Luke 4:43 NASB)
Unfortunately, most people, including most Christians, are absolutely in the dark about what the Scriptures mean by the phrase kingdom of God/Heaven.
It says in the book of John that God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosever shall believe on Him should not perish but have everlasting life. Based on that it would seem that the whole purpose of Jesus while He walked the earth was based on love. It also says also in the bible that God is Love. Everything that He does is based on this premise.

The reason Jesus came to earth was that He loves us and was willing to pay the penalty for our sins by dying on the cross and was separated for 3 days and nights from His father in heaven which had to cause much more agony then being crucified. In the eyes on God each day is as a 1000 years and a 1000 years a day. That is a long time to be descended into hell. If this is not an act of love I don't know what is.

The reason Jesus came to earth was because He loves us.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I think people who dont live under a monarchy dont quite grasp what a kingdom is. Perhaps?

Or maybe their only experience of it is through Walt Disney.
I used to live an hours drive from Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida and have been there at least 50 times including the Magic Kingdom. I am well experienced in this regards.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
1 John 4:7-8
7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Matthew 22:37-40 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.

Galatians 5:14 ... the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Romans 13:8-10 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law. The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,” and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Jesus said all the law and the prophets hang
on two commandments. Commandments to LOVE.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
What churches have you been going to if you havent heard the God is love verse preached?

Its the most known verse in the world, right after John 3;16 and the atheist's favorite: "dont judge maan dont judge!"

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
A couple of times tried to raise the topic of love in these forums and they tend to drop like a stone in favour of many other topics.
Considering we are nothing if we don't love, I consider it top importance, above anything. Not that I'm an expert at it, I've personally prayed many times that if God were to teach me ANYTHING that it would be what love is and how to love.

Love is such a core tenet of our faith, I think people tend to overlook it, or even undermine it due to a lack of understanding.
If anyone thinks love is wishy washy or weak or powder puff, they are literally, gravely mistaken.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
1 John 4:7-10 King James Version (KJV)
7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
but no "God is love" verse

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
1 John 4:7-8
7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.
THANK YOU. I knew someone would actually know where to find it!

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
and yet........another point of scripture that points to God's love for a specific people, His beloved.

Churinga

Nov 12, 2018
and yet........another point of scripture that points to God's love for a specific people, His beloved.
If you read the post how can you not see that the message of Jesus was His Kingdom?

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
The answer to your question is Mark 1: 14-15 as contained in the post.
I SEE jESUS IS PREPARING THE APOSTLES TO PEACH THE GOSPEL IN THOSE VERSES.
Mark is telling us about Jesus as servant, then His sacrfice.

I still don't see how you get a "kingdom" out of that