Marriage question

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I've been living with my girlfriend and we are exclusive not dating anybody else and are committed to one another

So why is this not considered being married?

Can anybody show my in the bible where we are told to get a marriage certificate and go before a judge so he can pronounce us man and wife in order to be married?
Because Biblically when someone wanted to get married in the days of verbal contractual consent, before contracts and marriage laws, marriage was instituted by God, therefore for a legitimate marriage required standing before God and profession love, devotion and commitment and I suspect this goes back to the time of Moses when a judge was a priest.

But in a small community before the wedding ring, you would want your friends and family and community present to witness the marriage so their was no accusation of adultery or fornication going on. "All things honest in the site of God and Man" don't forget "Marriage is honourable and the bed undefiled but adulterers and whoremongers God will judge".

Biblically Sex was instituted for married couples to have children. Anything outside of that is unethical or immoral by Gods Standards. When God Created Eve, he created marriage
"for this cause shall a man leave his mother and father and Cleve to his wife and the two shall become 1".

I suspect the LGTB community who persecute people who believe in this traditional marriage and also legal form of marriage maybe demonically possessed attacking what God instituted and persecuting those who live Godly.

Study your bible it will show you what a biblical marriage is and what Gods' standards for living with a wife is.
 
I'll try this again!

Oh dear. Brace yourselves.... 😬😜😆

I never meant any slight to any girl here, I was talking to a man and we speak like that sometimes. But I wasn't talking to you, or @Snackersmom.

I know you weren't trying to slight any ladies with your post. As I said, your powers for insulting females are so strong you don't even have to try 😉. Women are allowed to read these days (dang first-wave feminism!), and it was still an insulting thing to say.

Sometimes I forget that there's always an exception to the rule and yes we have several on this board! My apologies ladies'!

There's way more than "several" exceptions to that "rule" on this board. 🤦‍♀️ The problem is that you see it as a "rule" in the first place. I get that you've had bad experiences conversing with females but after getting a front-row seat to your efforts here on the forums I totally see why 😂.

I accept your apology but I'm not personally offended, I just want you to stop saying clueless things that drive a wedge between the sexes. I could make broad sweeping dismissive statements that are generally true for a lot of men, but I don't do that because it would be insulting and divisive.

DANG IT EDWARD YOU'RE TOO LIKEABLE AND CONTRITE TO GIVE UP ON UUUUUGGGHHHH I'LL TEACH YOU TO CONSIDER YOUR WORDS IF IT KILLS ME LOL 😆 🤣 😂 😜

Would you girls like for me to write a sig line as a disclaimer to real girls, in case I slip again in the future?

As tempting as it is to see what you would come up with, better judgement is telling me it might be worse than what you would post naturally 😂. Really, it would be better to learn to consider your words more carefully before you post things. But it's your account and totally at your discretion. Might want to get @Suze to proofread it for ya though 😜.

You should have heard how me & me friends (and brothers) talked to each other when we were young! EVery comment was an insylt, but we were friends there was no slight to us as men. Just men's locker room girls, not for you. I wasn't talking to you oh ye Exceptions to the rule! Bless you all.

I know you weren't talking to me and @Suze specifically but you WERE talking about females in general. The fact that you consider us exceptions to your "rule" is irrelevant....actually worse.

I get the whole throwing insults thing, I've always held blue-collar jobs and I'm totally used to it, I actually enjoy it. It's probably the only reason I'm able to talk to you lol 😆. Plus you sound like some of the teenage boys in youth group so I'm used to that also.

The difference (and the reason you need to get a handle on this) is that when you say dismissive things about women you actually hold them to be generally true ("rules", as you call them).

Anyways....I'm not mad at you, but I probly deserve a medal for it lol 😎🎖😜

God bless, all the best, and if I didn't actually see something special in you I wouldn't be bothering with you, so consider yourself blessed 😜.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Edward429451
Calling someone a troll is what all the wackos do when you disagree with them, they haul off and call you a TROLL

Well we both called each other trolls so I guess that makes us both wackos 😎🤝😎

Calling someone a troll is people just trying to gaslight someone who does not agree with them in their efforts to claim they are superior to anybody that does not agree with their view point.

Oh, it has nothing to do with your viewpoints. There's lots of people I disagree with that I do not believe are trolls. I called you a troll because you were telling @tourist to pray to God so he can "crank out another rugrat" well into his 70s. And also because you joyously post about "doing the wild thang" with your lady and "joining your intimate parts together".

Mind you, I did not mean the troll comment as an insult. When I said I love trolls I was serious; your post legit made me laugh. Yall help remind us not to take ourselves too seriously 😎.

But yeah, the fact that you are totally dismissing any scriptures that don't suit you is telling as to your intent.

But hey, it's a free country and I guess we'll both find out some day if your gamble was worth it or not, eh? 😉

Best! 😊
 
  • Like
  • Love
Reactions: tourist and Magenta
Oh dear. Brace yourselves.... 😬😜😆



I know you weren't trying to slight any ladies with your post. As I said, your powers for insulting females are so strong you don't even have to try 😉. Women are allowed to read these days (dang first-wave feminism!), and it was still an insulting thing to say.



There's way more than "several" exceptions to that "rule" on this board. 🤦‍♀️ The problem is that you see it as a "rule" in the first place. I get that you've had bad experiences conversing with females but after getting a front-row seat to your efforts here on the forums I totally see why 😂.

I accept your apology but I'm not personally offended, I just want you to stop saying clueless things that drive a wedge between the sexes. I could make broad sweeping dismissive statements that are generally true for a lot of men, but I don't do that because it would be insulting and divisive.

DANG IT EDWARD YOU'RE TOO LIKEABLE AND CONTRITE TO GIVE UP ON UUUUUGGGHHHH I'LL TEACH YOU TO CONSIDER YOUR WORDS IF IT KILLS ME LOL 😆 🤣 😂 😜



As tempting as it is to see what you would come up with, better judgement is telling me it might be worse than what you would post naturally 😂. Really, it would be better to learn to consider your words more carefully before you post things. But it's your account and totally at your discretion. Might want to get @Suze to proofread it for ya though 😜.



I know you weren't talking to me and @Suze specifically but you WERE talking about females in general. The fact that you consider us exceptions to your "rule" is irrelevant....actually worse.

I get the whole throwing insults thing, I've always held blue-collar jobs and I'm totally used to it, I actually enjoy it. It's probably the only reason I'm able to talk to you lol 😆. Plus you sound like some of the teenage boys in youth group so I'm used to that also.

The difference (and the reason you need to get a handle on this) is that when you say dismissive things about women you actually hold them to be generally true ("rules", as you call them).

Anyways....I'm not mad at you, but I probly deserve a medal for it lol 😎🎖😜

God bless, all the best, and if I didn't actually see something special in you I wouldn't be bothering with you, so consider yourself blessed 😜.

I feel like I been chewed out kinda, lol. I can't disagree with you though I used to have such a mouth on me when I was young. Then one day I said something insulting to some well dressed black guy and he turned around and let me have it! He cussed me out sort've but didn't use even one swear word at all! What a vocabulary! Oh that guy humbled me, lol. After that I vowed to increase my vocabulary and learn to talk cleaner and more effective. I've actually done pretty good taming my mouth over time, but...(you knew there was a but coming huh?
But that guy was annoying so I slipped. I'm sorry, good catch...
 
I feel like I been chewed out kinda, lol. I can't disagree with you though I used to have such a mouth on me when I was young. Then one day I said something insulting to some well dressed black guy and he turned around and let me have it! He cussed me out sort've but didn't use even one swear word at all! What a vocabulary! Oh that guy humbled me, lol. After that I vowed to increase my vocabulary and learn to talk cleaner and more effective. I've actually done pretty good taming my mouth over time, but...(you knew there was a but coming huh?
But that guy was annoying so I slipped. I'm sorry, good catch...

Consider me a well-dressed black guy then😎.

Except I'm not black, a guy, or well-dressed😂.

And don't let it get ya down, it's just part of becoming a better Edward. It's about renewing your mindsets more than anything.

I'm rooting for ya, and hey so far I'm pretty dang proud of ya just for listening, so keep up the good work! 👏😎
 
  • Like
Reactions: Edward429451
Yeah, I'm thinking you are the troll in this equation

That's the news coming out of Troll Central




Because one can be married without the states permission or paperwork.




Surely you remember Jesus came to do away with the old to establish the new right?




Oh I'm not going to be multiplying. There's no need.

The world now has over 8.5 billion people so there's been enough multiplying going on without me adding any rug rats to the count.




No, we're married.

Just because we did get the state's permission and fill out their paperwork does not mean the Lord doesn't accept our marriage.

You've had opportunity to post scripture that says marriage is not honored by God unless one gets a marriage license from the state and you could not post any because the Lord never said this in His Word.




So you're just making stuff up then and trying to push your opinion on to others.

Since God did not say Christians are required to get the state's permission and fill out their paperwork there's no instructions from the Lord to do this.

What other regulations and rules did you make up that YOU require people to follow that the Lord never said?

Is there like a spreadsheet or something with all YOUR requirements on it somewhere? :ROFL:
Sounds as if you have a fear of commitment. Afraid to make it legal. I'm surprised that your "spouse" doesn't insist on making it legal.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Snackersmom
I have obviously missed a lot on here.... Can anyone who has been here from the beginning give me a summary of where this conversation has come from and where it is going and how it got to this point?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Edward429451
I have obviously missed a lot on here.... Can anyone who has been here from the beginning give me a summary of where this conversation has come from and where it is going and how it got to this point?

Jaywalker has a live in girlfriend and he said they are committed and monogamous so are they married now or can they just declare themselves married and have a marriage honored by Gd.

Most everyone told him Marriage is more about God than the State so a Marriage might not matter, but he is not married and hoored by God in that union, and he wont accept that and says where does it say in a verse that I don't have to get a State marriage license and if it don't then he is married, like he's even being serious??!

It must have come up in conversation at his house, right? Why the thread? Lol. Dick Tracy! Personall, I suggested he have a private cremony with oly friends and family and have a Pastor marry them and have a ceremony, sans State license (which has nothing to do with it unless your a cheapskate. And in the ceremony, they still dedicate the marriage to God. But he got defensive and said God is already involved. But He had not said one word about God before hthen and that's indicituve of a little whit.. uh oh wow I missed the blood moon, I was up by not gazing at the moon. (Lol).

I think what it comes down to is the man has no reverence for God and was hoping for validation so he could show his GF and tell her see we dont have to get married. He's a cheapskate. He needs prayed for.
 
I have obviously missed a lot on here.... Can anyone who has been here from the beginning give me a summary of where this conversation has come from and where it is going and how it got to this point?
Basically, it's an anti-marriage thread. Shacking up is OK, but actually legally getting married is a waste of time. OP says that sex in a marriage is mainly for the production of children. Yet, the OP has stated that he does not want kids. I know, makes no sense whatsoever.
 
Biblically, in the eyes of God, you are married once two become one flesh. There's nothing magically occurs when you say vows in front of a pastor. You should make your declaration of marriage known before others if you are seeking to appease family and church.

What is the difference between the sins of fornication verses adultery?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Snackersmom
Jaywalker has a live in girlfriend and he said they are committed and monogamous so are they married now or can they just declare themselves married and have a marriage honored by Gd.

Most everyone told him Marriage is more about God than the State so a Marriage might not matter, but he is not married and hoored by God in that union, and he wont accept that and says where does it say in a verse that I don't have to get a State marriage license and if it don't then he is married, like he's even being serious??!

It must have come up in conversation at his house, right? Why the thread? Lol. Dick Tracy! Personall, I suggested he have a private cremony with oly friends and family and have a Pastor marry them and have a ceremony, sans State license (which has nothing to do with it unless your a cheapskate. And in the ceremony, they still dedicate the marriage to God. But he got defensive and said God is already involved. But He had not said one word about God before hthen and that's indicituve of a little whit.. uh oh wow I missed the blood moon, I was up by not gazing at the moon. (Lol).

I think what it comes down to is the man has no reverence for God and was hoping for validation so he could show his GF and tell her see we dont have to get married. He's a cheapskate. He needs prayed for.
Ahhh Thanks for bringing me up to speed on this.
I really did miss a lot, has anyone pointed out that God said to Obey them that hath the rule over you? All things honest in the sight of God and man?

Gal_5:7 Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?
Tit_3:1 Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work,
Heb_13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that
is unprofitable for you.
Heb_13:18 Pray for us: for we trust we have a good conscience, in all things willing to live honestly.
Mar 12:14 And when they were come, they say unto him, Master, we know that thou art true, and carest for no man: for thou regardest not the person of men, but teachest the way of God in truth: Is it lawful to give tribute to Caesar, or not?
Mar 12:15 Shall we give, or shall we not give? But he, knowing their hypocrisy, said unto them, Why tempt ye me? bring me a penny, that I may see it.
Mar 12:16 And they brought it. And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? And they said unto him, Caesar's.
Mar 12:17 And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.
Rom_12:17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.

True a state marriage does not matter, but you are still legally required to have a marriage certificate. You can get a pastor, priest or minister to perform the ceremony. See a religious or biblical marriage takes place under the authority of God and the church, a secular or state marriage takes place under a secular judge or government. But regardless that piece of paper is still a legal requirement for either one. Unless the wedding is purely ceremonial, but then would not be legally recognized as a legitimate wedding and any government benefits he might be entitled to or able to claim would not be available to him. Or in somecases some workplace benefits may not recognize his girlfriend as his wife. Denying her what she might be entitled to if he were to suffer an accident or death.

lol good luck with that moon gazing. I agree with you it sounds like he has no reverence for God
 
  • Like
Reactions: Edward429451
Basically, it's an anti-marriage thread. Shacking up is OK, but actually legally getting married is a waste of time. OP says that sex in a marriage is mainly for the production of children. Yet, the OP has stated that he does not want kids. I know, makes no sense whatsoever.
Ahh, yes I read the lengthy thread above, and it certainly sounds like OP believes that.
 
What is the difference between the sins of fornication verses adultery?
I pulled up the Websters Dictionary on my Bible Study Program E Sword

Here is the difference

Adultery
ADUL'TERY, n. [L. adulterium. See Adulterate.]
1. Violation of the marriage bed; a crime, or a civil injury, which introduces, or may introduce, into a family, a spurious offspring.
By the laws of Connecticut, the sexual intercourse of any man, with a married woman, is the crime of adultery in both: such intercourse of a married man, with an unmarried woman, is fornication in both, and adultery of the man, within the meaning of the law respecting divorce; but not a felonious adultery in either, or the crime of adultery at common law, or by statute. This latter offense is, in England, proceeded with only in the ecclesiastical courts.
In common usage, adultery means the unfaithfulness of any married person to the marriage bed. In England, Parliament grant absolute divorces for infidelity to the marriage bed in either party; and the spiritual courts divorce a mensa et thoro.
2. In a scriptural sense, all manner of lewdness or unchastity, as in the seventh commandment.
3. In scripture, idolatry, or apostasy from the true God. Jer 3.
4. In old laws, the fine and penalty imposed for the offense of adultery.
5. In ecclesiastical affairs, the intrusion of a person into a bishopric, during the life of the bishop.
6. Among ancient naturalists, the grafting of trees was called adultery, being considered as an unnatural union.

Fornication
FORNICA'TION, n. [L. fornicatio.]
1. The incontinence or lewdness of unmarried persons, male or female; also, the criminal conversation of a married man with an unmarried woman.
2. Adultery. Mat 5.
3. Incest. 1 Cor 5.
4. Idolatry; a forsaking of the true God, and worshipping of idols. 2 Chr 21. Rev 19.
 
Basically, it's an anti-marriage thread. Shacking up is OK, but actually legally getting married is a waste of time. OP says that sex in a marriage is mainly for the production of children. Yet, the OP has stated that he does not want kids. I know, makes no sense whatsoever.

I do believe that's about the size of it. Our Brother in Christ Jaywalker wants to walk with our Lord, but he still has city shoes on and refuses to change them!

@JayWalker, to want to walk with God is an admirable thing but you will have to find out what God said about Marriage, instead of what He didn't say about marriage. Then you will be moving towards the holiness that is required to walk with God. He is a Holy God remember.
 
  • Like
Reactions: tourist