Mary as the mother of God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

eternally-gratefull

Nonsense, the Theotokos IS NOT a god. You're reading something in there that is non-existent. Jesus isn't the Ark of the New Covenant, He IS the New Covenant. Please stop bearing false witness to what Catholics/Orthodox teach. You know better.
my friend. All I am doing is showing you what I see. Many people say they do not believe something when in actuality they do.

Jesus is the ark, Our mercy is based on Christ. Not mary. God The fathers' wrath is appeased becase of Christ., not mary

Not Mary.
Luke 2:48
So when they saw Him, they were amazed; and His mother said to Him, “Son, why have You done this to us? Look, Your father and I have sought You anxiously.” 49 And He said to them, “Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?”

Again, not Mary. Show me where she lied.
In Mark 3. Jesus relatives came to get him, They lied and said he was crazy (out of his mind) they finally found him, and these same relatives found him and called for him, This is when Jesus said, who is my mother or brother.

Yes they lied because they feared for his life, he was going Against the religious power of Isreal and could be stoned for it. But this is no excuse to lie, and if they trusted God and who Jesus was, they would have had no reason to lie.

So you're saying that Jesus disobeyed His foster father Joseph, and His mother and needed scolding? o_O
mocking will get you no where,

She was saved through her Son's grace, but she wasn't a sinner.
If she was not a sinner, she owuld not need saved. A person who is drowning does not need saved, A person who is not a sinner does not need saved. Even you should know this!

May 25, 2010

'GOD' is a title showing supreme authority, not HIS NAME. Mary gave birth to a human being made of flesh, but the Title 'GOD' was from the FATHER, through the HOLY SPIRIT. Neither Mary nor Joseph had the power to procreate a 'GOD".

Semantics and petty arguments.

Because Jesus was Fathered by GOD, and not Adam, He is not under the serpent's curse, because Adam is the devil (serpent, lucifer, that wicked, satan, etc..). Yet HE was flesh (for a time), and was tempted in all ways as we are tempted; but He never sinned or thought to sin.

Katy-follower

Jun 25, 2011
Originally Posted by Katy-follower
All man (except Jesus) inherited sin from Adam, including Mary. 40 days after Jesus’ birth Mary offered, at the temple in Jerusalem, a sin offering for purification. She, too, had inherited sin and imperfection from Adam (Luke 2:22-24 & Lev 12:1-8)

You are aware that as a devout Jew, she would naturally follow the commandments of the Lord regarding what to do after having a child.... Even if she had no sin.

Besides, Scripture itself refers to her as "full of grace" and does so in a particular sense. If you look at the Greek where the Angel Gabriel greets Mary and tells her that she will bear the Messiah, he says to her "Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with you" (Luke 1:28). The phrase "full of grace" is a translation of the Greek word kecharitomene.

Basically, it's a particular tense of the word "grace" used here. The grace given to Mary is at once permanent and of a unique kind.Kecharitomene is a perfect passive participle of charitoo, meaning "to fill or endow with grace." Since this term is in the perfect tense, it indicates that Mary was graced in the past but with continuing effects in the present. So, the grace Mary enjoyed was NOT a result of the angel’s visit, it was pre-existent to the that moment in time.

In layman's terms, she was full of a grace that was currently part of her nature, and had also always been a part of her nature. IE, she was protected from the stain of Adam's sin as befitting her unique role in Christ's plan of Salvation.
Hey Devin :)

Thing is, scripture says that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (Romans 3:21-26). It mentions Jesus as the exception, it doesn’t say all except Mary. She too inherited sin from Adam. When we read that Jesus was the only one without sin (Hebrews 4:14-15) this is what we accept because scripture does not contradict itself and I’ve found nowhere in the bible that states Mary was sinless; quite the contrary. Death came through Adam but life came through Jesus Christ (Romans 5: 12-15) (2 Cor 5:21, 1 John 3:5) .

God is God. He does not require a sinless vessel to give birth to a sinless Jesus, because He is God and can do anything. The idea of Immaculate Conception is man’s way of trying to make sense of how Jesus could’ve possibly been born sinless unless Mary was also sinless. Thing is, the conception was an act of God. He would not need a perfect woman to produce a perfect child. Jesus was protected from sin while in the womb. God chose Mary because she was Godly and committed and the right woman to raise Jesus as her own. Therefore she was blessed to have been chosen. He would not have found a sinless vessel anywhere anyway (nor would He need to). Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man on earth who does good And does not sin”

No one denies that Mary was a Godly woman but she admitted to needing a savior. Sinless people would not need a savior. Luke 1:46-49: “My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior. For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant; For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed. For He who is mighty has done great things for me, And holy is His name”

Luke 2:24 “A pair of turtledoves or two young pigeons”
Leviticus 12:8: “And if she is not able to bring a lamb, then she may bring two turtledoves or two young pigeons—one as a burnt offering and the other as a sin offering. So the priest shall make atonement for her, and she will be clean”
– Mary was admitting her sinful state by offering these sacrifices.

Mary was corrected by Jesus (Luke 2:48-50)

Another thing I noticed... the Greek word, Adelphos, is used in the bible when talking of Jesus’ brothers. Adelphos means physical brothers (sharing the same womb). This proves Jesus had brothers from the same mother and that they were not cousins. There are other scriptures that speak of the marriage being consummated so Mary did not remain a virgin after Jesus. Also, it would have been a sin for Mary & Joseph to not consummate the marriage because of God’s design for marriage, as described in the bible. From what I understand, it would be abnormal for any Jewish couple to not have a large family anyway.

S

SirEBob

i see where your coming from, does say she will be called blessed for all ages, however the created cant be worshipped above or equal to the creator i would think:)
don't worship anything or anyone but the Godhead (God the father, God the son, and God the Holy spirit) it is sin, and it is an easily avoidable sin.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
If Mary is the Mother of Jesus, and if Jesus is God, then Mary is the Mother of God. The term protects the Divinity of Christ. She did not cause His Divinity. But His Divinity is united to His humanity in His conception, so she brought God the Son into the world. She did not cause Him to exist; she merely is the vessel the Father used to bring for His Son, God manifest in the flesh through the body of the Virgin Mary. Take care.
Scott . Erie
Our Heavenly Father does not have a Mother, after all, He is Mary's Father also. It is blesphemy to say the Father, Who is the Alpha and the Omega, has a Mother. When referring to Yeshua, in the flesh, He is the son of Mary. If anyone wishes to make this some kind of diverting from the center of worship dogma, it is a sin.

S

SantoSubito

Our Heavenly Father does not have a Mother, after all, He is Mary's Father also. It is blesphemy to say the Father, Who is the Alpha and the Omega, has a Mother. When referring to Yeshua, in the flesh, He is the son of Mary. If anyone wishes to make this some kind of diverting from the center of worship dogma, it is a sin.
I still don't understand what's so hard to get about the simple fact that Mary is the Mother of God because she gave birth to God incarnate in the flesh.

cronjecj

Banned [Reason: ongoing "extreme error/heresy" Den
Sep 25, 2011
I still don't understand what's so hard to get about the simple fact that Mary is the Mother of God because she gave birth to God incarnate in the flesh.
that which is physical is physical,
but that which is spirit is spirit.

God is a Spirit.

Spirit was before flesh.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
You should read what is posted, here it is again so you do not have to bother looking it up:
Originally Posted by JaumeJ

No one is denying Mary, the most blessed, is the mother of Jesus, but God has no beginning and no end, He is eternal. And YES, Yeshua is God in the flesh, she carried Him as do all mothers, but Yeshua is not born of fornication, He is YHWH's Only Begotten Son.

S

StMichaelTheArchangel

that which is physical is physical,
but that which is spirit is spirit.

God is a Spirit.

Spirit was before flesh.
If Mary is not the mother of god come in the flesh, then his incarnation, death on the cross, and resurrection did not effect our salvation. Calling Mary "mother of god" has to do with the human and divine natures of Christ being one and the same. If Jesus' human nature was not God then there is no way we could call him God at all. But since he is 2 natures in one person, we should call Mary the mother of god.

To deny Mary as being the mother of god leaves room for heretics such as the arians who say that Jesus' Divine nature was not in unison with his Human nature. Believing in a fallacy as this totally negates the work of Jesus on the earth as a human being.

Y

Yourfriend4life

i believe that mary was simply the cleanest door way God chose to enter through

Drett

Feb 16, 2013
I think it is simple. You do not pray to anything created and you do not use statues of dead people as an intermediate.

You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.
You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,
Exodus 20:4 - 5

This is very clear. I would think pictures are included as an image. Throw out all the holy pictures, statues etc and pray to one God.

Jan 17, 2013
Hail Mary, Full of Grace!

- And the Angel came to her and said, “Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with you!" - [Archangel Gabriel]
- “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb..
And why has this happened to me, that the mother of my Lord comes to me?" - [Elizabeth]

Then Jesus said to the disciple, "Here is your mother."

D

drjshow

I think we must be careful simply lumping Mary in with all other women. For those who believe that we are all born with a purpose in life, and that God knows that purpose before time, then Mary was chosen by the lord to carry Him/His Son in the womb. For that, you are no doubt a blessed and favored individual. As Gabriel said, "Hail, favored one! The Lord is with you."

To deny Mary's favored status with the Lord is say that the Father throws darts at a dartboard to choose the vessel by which He sent His Son. I don't believe that God acts randomly. I believe that Mary was chosen, before time, to be the early mother of our Lord. That is a high place, indeed.

A

Anonimous

I think we must be careful simply lumping Mary in with all other women. For those who believe that we are all born with a purpose in life, and that God knows that purpose before time, then Mary was chosen by the lord to carry Him/His Son in the womb. For that, you are no doubt a blessed and favored individual. As Gabriel said, "Hail, favored one! The Lord is with you."

To deny Mary's favored status with the Lord is say that the Father throws darts at a dartboard to choose the vessel by which He sent His Son. I don't believe that God acts randomly. I believe that Mary was chosen, before time, to be the early mother of our Lord. That is a high place, indeed.

I agree. I am not catholic but to try to devalue her just isn't right. She was favored...there's no doubt there. The worship of her is though.

Jan 17, 2013
I agree with drjshow.

Imagine the love and care with which God created his very own mother. Highly favored indeed. She is so beautiful.

I agree. I am not catholic but to try to devalue her just isn't right. She was favored...there's no doubt there. The worship of her is though.
Correct. She should not be worshiped. She should be highly revered though. Thank Christ for her.

Jesus, while on the cross, gave his mother to us all, you and I. My Lord and I share a common mother, Mary. Mary and I share a common Lord and Savior, her son Jesus Christ. It's wonderful, mysterious, and beautiful.

Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of endless glory.