I personally test with scripture. Scripture should agree, it should never disagree and never contradict.
If you see a passage that appears to contradict. Its your interpretation causing the contradiction not the word.
And of course, this demands humility and an open mind, or even this will not help.
I think that I understand what you're saying. When I dropped the teachings of "men" and read the ENTIRE Bible in a timeline, chronological fashion (multiple times, now), I have walked away with an entirely new Understanding of God's Holy Word. I believe that I have been taught, by the Lord, how to make sense of his entire Book. This is not to say that I am a "master" of eschatology, for example. I am not. However, I am able to reconcile the core doctrine of His Word . . . Circumcision of the Heart. Without a firm grasp of what this Abrahamic Word is all about, the Bible will forever remain elusive.