Matthew 27: 19. Who caused Pilate's wife to suffer in a dream and why?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

tantalon

Oct 11, 2019
Jesus was carrying out prophecy and the will of his Father, the devil tried to stop the crucifixion by what would seem to be, a "rescue" through Pilates wife. The devil was behind that "rescue" Not God.

Mar 28, 2016
Jesus was carrying out prophecy and the will of his Father, the devil tried to stop the crucifixion by what would seem to be, a "rescue" through Pilates wife. The devil was behind that "rescue" Not God.
Pilates wife was sent by the father to protect the seed.

How could that support the opposite? . . "The devil was behind that "rescue" Not God"

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Pilates wife was sent by the father to protect the seed.

How could that support the opposite? . . "The devil was behind that "rescue" Not God"
When Peter rebuked Jesus for telling the disciples that He would die, who was behind it? Why would you think the dream of Pilate's wife came from a different source?

NotmebutHim

May 17, 2015
This thought occurred to me after I read this thread:

I'm thinking that Pilate's wife told him to have nothing to do with Jesus, a "just Man" because she believed Him to be innocent. Let me explain further.

I'm not saying for a second that Pilate was innocent; far from it actually. And I've heard and read from various sources which say that he was a coward because he eventually gave in to the Jewish leaders' demand that Christ be crucified. What I'm wondering though is, how much did God hold Pilate accountable for?

We know from Scripture, especially in Acts, that Pilate is mentioned as one who is complicit in the crucifixion of Jesus, along with the Jewish leaders (along with Herod). But the reason I'm curious about Pilate's level of accountability is the fact that Jesus Himself told him "........Therefore he who delivered Me to you has the greater sin". Jesus said this right after He told Pilate that he would have no power over Him unless it had been given to him from above.

Pilate apparently had no interest in the Gospel or in acknowledging Christ as his Savior. All he cared about was whether Jesus was indeed a political rebel and insurrectionist against Rome. As far as Pilate was concerned, Jesus was neither (based on what the Scriptures tell us; extra-Biblical sources claim that Pilate actually did see Jesus as a rebel). Now we can debate on whether Pilate was given the Gospel by virtue of having tried Jesus and chose to reject it, or if God held him accountable for that part.

It's possible that Pilate faced the same degree of judgment in the afterlife as Tyre, Sidon, Sodom and Gomorrah did, and that if he had explicitly found Christ guilty and sentenced Him to be crucified on that basis, he could have faced the same degree of judgment that the cities did where the Gospel was actually preached (where Jesus performed miracles).

How much knowledge did Pilate actually have? We'll never know for sure, but the Scriptures say that God holds men accountable based on the knowledge they do have.

$0.02

tantalon

Oct 11, 2019
What was the ultimate purpose of Christ coming to Earth? His purpose was to fulfill the scriptures and satisfy the wrath of God for humanities sins. The DEVIL tried to stop the crucifixion, and thus make the word of God void, and the death of Christ and his resurrection which would follow later, null and void. God was not trying to "rescue" his son who he had sent to be his ransom for sin, the DEVIL was.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
she calls Him just -- is that something Satan says about God?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
The DEVIL tried to stop the crucifixion, and thus make the word of God void, and the death of Christ and his resurrection which would follow later, null and void. God was not trying to "rescue" his son who he had sent to be his ransom for sin, the DEVIL was.
who was it that put the crucifixion in motion? Satan entered Judas. so at what point do you see Satan change strategies? why didn't Satan do anything about his own sons ((John 8:44)) who were inciting the crowd to crucify Jesus at the same time?
what did Satan expect Jesus to do at Gethsemane? had he planned to murder Judas all along or was that him frantically trying to adapt? :unsure: did he know he was fulfilling prophecy with the silver? does Satan know scripture. when did he know? was it his plan?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Not quite. If you consider the scriptures that Christ would be crucified, determined from the foundation of the world, and that Jews AND Gentiles would be responsible, then it would follow that THE DEVIL, (through Pilates' wife) was attempting to negate the scripture of what God determined to be done.
then why were the sons of the Devil ((John 8:44)) inciting the crowd to crucify Jesus at the moment we're talking about?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Satan would not want Jesus crucified. It was the end of him.
did Satan understand that? when? weren't the sons of Satan ((John 8:44)) trying to kill Jesus for quite some time already?
who was dwelling in Judas when he delivered Jesus? what was Satan expecting?

Dec 12, 2013
it was a belief in the early church ((Tertullian & Augustine for example)) and still is in Coptic & Ethiopian tradition that Pilate became a Christian. traditions vilifying him AFAIK don't show up in the church until centuries later. apocryphal letters circulating in the first 500 years of Christianity ((gospel of Peter, acts of Pilate etc.)) decidedly describe him as a convert. Josephus mentions that he was called back to Rome in 36AD, apparently in trouble with emperor Tiberius over how he handled a particular riot, but the emperor died before Pilate arrived. the new emperor, Caligula did not send him back.

is it Rome who the scripture says crucified Him or is it Israel? the gospels write that Pilate found no guilt in Jesus and wanted to release him, and they say that the crowd of Jews said may the bloodguilt be on them and their children.

i've never seen these hollywood-gospels, the movies about the cross. have you? i'm wondering which view of Pilate they take.
Just like Nebuchadnezzar acknowledging the God of Daniel as the one true God, I have no problem seeing Pilate coming to the truth based upon his words, what he did, his wife and the couple witnesses of history......and as I have said with a love for the Jews...they have reaped the reward of that fateful day when they cried, "Let his blood be upon us and our children" for the last two thousand years almost........

You know, push come to shove....all of us are guilty of nailing him to the cross!

Jan 17, 2020
did Satan understand that? when? weren't the sons of Satan ((John 8:44)) trying to kill Jesus for quite some time already?
who was dwelling in Judas when he delivered Jesus? what was Satan expecting?
Satan did not understand what was happening to him. God wanted Jesus crucified. Satan too but ignorantly.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
A connection occurred to me yesterday - -

Matthew 27:19
While he was sitting on the judgment seat, his wife sent to him, saying, "Have nothing to do with that just Man, for I have suffered many things today in a dream because of Him."

She was shown suffering for His sake

Acts 9:15-16
But the Lord said to him, "Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name's sake."

Paul was also shown suffering for His sake, and saw Aninias in a dream vision ((Acts 9:12))