Matthew 5:39 Why would God command us to not resist evil?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 30, 2018
Our world, is most definitely an evil place. John 3:16 tells is that if Jesus says it, believe what he says or Heaven is withheld. Jesus then tells us in Matthew 5:39 not to resist evil but instead to even assist it (give our cloak, go a mile with it.) Why would we stand idley by while our loved one is tortured or killed and rather than resist say the kids are in the other room. I try, and try, and try.. to come to terms with this sudden change from "eye for an eye" and I"m seeking but not finding. Opinions?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
It is the same principle as overcoming hatred with love.

T

taylorswiftfan

Our world, is most definitely an evil place. John 3:16 tells is that if Jesus says it, believe what he says or Heaven is withheld. Jesus then tells us in Matthew 5:39 not to resist evil but instead to even assist it (give our cloak, go a mile with it.) Why would we stand idley by while our loved one is tortured or killed and rather than resist say the kids are in the other room. I try, and try, and try.. to come to terms with this sudden change from "eye for an eye" and I"m seeking but not finding. Opinions?
we are supposed to overcome evil with good

you should forgive those who do evil to you and set a good example for them by not taking revenge

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Matthew 5-7 is the sermon on the mount. It is Jesus teaching on principals of the kingdom of God. We are not in the kingdom of God on the earth so these are in the future. You are under no obligation to allow any evil one to harm your family. Jesus told His disciples to go and buy a sword if they did not have one. This was for self defense but not to make war on all the evil we encounter. Doing good to those who despitefully use us is how God will use us to bring them to Christ. Consider that it is the goodness of God that brings men to repentance not the severity of God.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
Matthew 5-7 is the sermon on the mount. It is Jesus teaching on principals of the kingdom of God. We are not in the kingdom of God on the earth so these are in the future. You are under no obligation to allow any evil one to harm your family. Jesus told His disciples to go and buy a sword if they did not have one. This was for self defense but not to make war on all the evil we encounter. Doing good to those who despitefully use us is how God will use us to bring them to Christ. Consider that it is the goodness of God that brings men to repentance not the severity of God.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
I don't understand what you are saying...What does that mean... this will happen in the future in the Kingdom of God? I cannot see where people will be smacking each other and suing each other in the Kingdom of God? Seems to me this is talking about here on earth because why would evil things like that be going on in the Kingdome of God?

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
Seriously this is pretty odd to me...I saw on one thread where someone was asking if people in heaven could rebel and then here where someone else seems to be saying evil will be happening in the Kingdom of God.

So I'm not sure what people think is going to happen in the next life, but from what I've read it is not going to be anything like here on earth...There will be no more death, sorrow, pain, sickness going on there. Evil is not going to enter into the Kingdom of God.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
There will be no evil come the Kingdom. Our Father has declared two things to us, one that we will be holy for He is holy, and two, we will be perfect for He is perfect.

We are holy while here but never perfectly so. God, Himself, is working in each of us to make us perfect, and that work will be completed only on His day, and only by Him

When I first red these two declarations of our loving Father, I thought, how can we be either. Then I realized they are not commandments , rather, they are promises. So praise God, and awaith your perfection while you do our best to behave as He would have us. I do, not so good at it, but I do. God bless you and all, amen.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Why do you say "us ' ? he was talking to them , who's ' them ' ?

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Jesus said to them to resist evil . Its always important to see who Jesus is speaking and how its relevant to gentiles in 2021 .

Rondonmon

May 13, 2016
The Greek word used there is "PONEROS" meaning a man with malicious intent, it doesn't mean we should join in evil with them, like say when the Sodomites tried to get at the Angels via a lewd act, thus the Angels smote them. It's basically speaking about another man's actions are intentions towards you, in malice, mischief, or a calamitous way. It kind of means this, if a person spreads, lies ad rumors about you, do not stoop to his level. If a guy blocks up the creek so you can't get any water, don't go upstream and poison the water t get back at him. This is why Jesus references an eye for an eye, he's is not saying allow people to do Wicked evil things to you are your family per se, he's speaking about men/peoples character fault, I mean, yea, if a guy slanders you that is an evil deed, but it's not something you have to protect yourself from, God/Jesus isn't saying let people kill you and your family. As per the turn the other cheek, this is a simple argument/fight, he's saying, if someone gets angry with you and slaps you, look at them with love, and say, I still love you, that is far more powerful than retributing a punch to someone. He's not saying if 2 wicked people you don't know comes down the road, to let them come in and have at your family and take your possessions, that is a time for action, with a shotgun.

Dec 30, 2018

For the cause of Christ
Roger
I feel that Jesus told his disciple's to buy swords to fulfill a prophecy ..that he be reckoned among the transgressors .. with zero intent of actual resistance ( Luke 22 ). We see that while he did have reservations about his coming role in torture he reaffirms that Gods will be done, and moments later when the disciples try to save him from arrest he heals the policemen that was injured and goes peacefully. He doesn't actually resist evil in this instance or condone it. Instead he resisted .. resisting it. I appreciate your input as I thought that too for the longest time.

Dec 30, 2018
The Greek word used there is "PONEROS" meaning a man with malicious intent, it doesn't mean we should join in evil with them, like say when the Sodomites tried to get at the Angels via a lewd act, thus the Angels smote them. It's basically speaking about another man's actions are intentions towards you, in malice, mischief, or a calamitous way. It kind of means this, if a person spreads, lies ad rumors about you, do not stoop to his level. If a guy blocks up the creek so you can't get any water, don't go upstream and poison the water t get back at him. This is why Jesus references an eye for an eye, he's is not saying allow people to do Wicked evil things to you are your family per se, he's speaking about men/peoples character fault, I mean, yea, if a guy slanders you that is an evil deed, but it's not something you have to protect yourself from, God/Jesus isn't saying let people kill you and your family. As per the turn the other cheek, this is a simple argument/fight, he's saying, if someone gets angry with you and slaps you, look at them with love, and say, I still love you, that is far more powerful than retributing a punch to someone. He's not saying if 2 wicked people you don't know comes down the road, to let them come in and have at your family and take your possessions, that is a time for action, with a shotgun.

Dec 30, 2018
" He's not saying if 2 wicked people you don't know comes down the road, to let them come in and have at your family and take your possessions, that is a time for action, with a shotgun"
What would give you this impression from the bible? I mean, the sense of right and wrong inside me wants to agree. However the bible doesn't to my knowledge confirm this distinction. Can you show me?

Within context Jesus goes on to say in verse 45 "That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. " So yeah I am starting to believe that the justification also sounds really.. off. To me, this approach turns Christians into victims. Unlike Christ to my knowledge we cannot; walk on water, turn one loaf of bread and a couple fish to feed thousands, turn water to wine, and do all the other God power things that Jesus is reputed to have done. If our loved ones are being harmed we cannot raise them up, only mourn them till/if we meet again. While the perpetrators laugh and go their merry ways, we mourn and agonize for the rest of our lives, our lives.. become hell, perhaps for us only for a lifetime then good things in eternity, but if those we sacrificed aren't Christian's then.. how happy will we be in an eternity where we know we could have saved them from certain disaster but ... turned the other cheek on the off chance a violent person might turn from their evil and become a Christian somewhere down the road. (sorry for going on but.. its really tough to sort this out in my mind)

Dec 30, 2018
Jesus said to them to resist evil . Its always important to see who Jesus is speaking and how its relevant to gentiles in 2021 .
I'm sorry for my ignorance, can you please refer me to where Jesus tells them/us to resist evil?

Dec 30, 2018
Why do you say "us ' ? he was talking to them , who's ' them ' ?
A very good question. In the first situation your remark suggests that if it has not been directly said to us, then it does not pertain to us. Us, being those Jesus became human to save and teach. By that logic if we only pay attention to what Jesus said directly to "us" none of us (to my knowledge) were around back then so your remark is that we really don't need to pay attention to any of it as none of us were directly addressed by it then or now? As for "who's them" I'm not seeing that I used the word "them" in my original statement but I am thinking "them" would be his disciples within the context of your question.

Dec 30, 2018
There will be no evil come the Kingdom. Our Father has declared two things to us, one that we will be holy for He is holy, and two, we will be perfect for He is perfect.

We are holy while here but never perfectly so. God, Himself, is working in each of us to make us perfect, and that work will be completed only on His day, and only by Him

When I first red these two declarations of our loving Father, I thought, how can we be either. Then I realized they are not commandments , rather, they are promises. So praise God, and awaith your perfection while you do our best to behave as He would have us. I do, not so good at it, but I do. God bless you and all, amen.
I appreciate your efforts and I'm certain God does as well. All the same, the answers God's put in my heart to resolve, I don't feel this resolves them. Thank you again, and God bless you as well.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
A very good question. In the first situation your remark suggests that if it has not been directly said to us, then it does not pertain to us. Us, being those Jesus became human to save and teach. By that logic if we only pay attention to what Jesus said directly to "us" none of us (to my knowledge) were around back then so your remark is that we really don't need to pay attention to any of it as none of us were directly addressed by it then or now? As for "who's them" I'm not seeing that I used the word "them" in my original statement but I am thinking "them" would be his disciples within the context of your question.
I have a post on here which addresses this ( 'Jesus said ' ) My point is not that we discard a verse thats spoken to Israel, for example ,or to a specific audience before the cross ,or whoever but to simply realise that and understand in that context.

B

Blackpowderduelist

Context abuse.
Slap is an insult
Coat is material
Walking a mile or two is inconvenient.

No where in this is not to protect the defenceless or even your own life. Nor participating in evil actions yourself.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles.
Matthew 5:38‭-‬41 ESV
https://bible.com/bible/59/mat.5.38-41.ESV

John146

Jan 13, 2016
It is a kingdom doctrine when Jesus is literally reigning as King of kings on the earth from the throne of David. During this time period one does not resist evil because the King is here. Don't take matter into your own hands.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I don't understand what you are saying...What does that mean... this will happen in the future in the Kingdom of God? I cannot see where people will be smacking each other and suing each other in the Kingdom of God? Seems to me this is talking about here on earth because why would evil things like that be going on in the Kingdome of God?
Millennial kingdom while satan is in the bottomless pit. 1000 years in which men's hearts will once again become hard toward God and His righteousness. Satan leads these folks in rebellion against Christ when he is freed from the pit.

For the cause of Christ
Roger