Matthew 6:9-13

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
So how often should someone ask for forgiveness? As often as God shows us we need to and then we should have faith that we are forgiven and more forward, not wallow in guilt but trust that the blood cleanses us.

I believe in eternal security, but I don't believe that means that we will stay as we are but that we will be transformed into who God means for us to be by following His Holy Spirit guidance.
I agree with the first comment.......AND the second. :)

E

eternally-gratefull

I see that a little differently as those previously fatherless in respect to the Father of all spirits.The born again Spirit of God. I would think our Father in heaven has not left us as orphans without a heavenly Father to give us our daily bread.

Some repetitive prayer like ones that cries out in supplication because of our unseen anxieties. The cry out is the cry of a baby a cry for the reassurance of the Fathers love.

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.Philipians 4: 6-7

The Son of Man in repetition cried out the same word three times . Three denotes the end of the matter throughout the scriptures. I would say no limit. Many cry out there whole life looking for the hope of a new incorruptible body.

A person, I believe could repeat the Lord's prayer over and over if the idea came to his heart just as it did when the Son of man cried out.

And saith unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death: tarry ye here, and watch.And he went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him.And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.And he cometh, and findeth them sleeping, and saith unto Peter, Simon, sleepest thou? couldest not thou watch one hour?Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak.And again he went away, and prayed, and spake the same words. Mark 14: 34-39

Again I would suggest it was not the repetition that was vain but the manner....."They wanted to be heard of men as their boasting reward) it made the repetition o vain .

One manner our Father not seen.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Mathew 6: 6-9
Well you go on saying the lords prayer. I used to. It got to the point i did not even know what it meant anymore..

I will study the lords prayer See what it is about. And pray the way the lords prayer gives us an example.. and talk to God as I woule talk to my earthly father, Not as a religious person talks to an unseen God.

E

eternally-gratefull

That isn't an answer...........yes or no, when you sin now, do you ask God to forgive you for your transgression? If NO, fine. Then tell me exactly what you DO do? Do you just blow it off? Pretend you didn't? Or what?

You said: then I ask him to help me thru his spirit to do better the next time

How is that not asking for forgiveness?
No,

My sin is already forgiven, to ask him to forgive me is like telling him I do not have fith in his promise.

Do I confess my sins to him, Yes. But ask forgiveness? No

There is only one rason to ask forgiveness, if you have yet to be forgiven.. Then you ask in hop he may forgive you. .

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Someone mentioned the OP's signature. Just took note:

"Remaining Obedient Secures Eternity"

Wow! I guess Jesus didn't secure eternity, obedience did! :rolleyes:

That is heretical so I can see why he broad-brushes everyone into one camp within OSAS and bad mouths it with false accusations. Had to get a jab in with his OP. LOL!

Well, it must be hard and make one angry working their way to heaven! ;):LOL:

Here is "the workers for" theme song. Enjoy!

You went from being "readable" to a joke in nothing flat..............Here is some reading for you

1. Do Christians have to keep asking for forgiveness for their sins?
    www.gotquestions.org/Christian-sin.html
    However, we do not always need to be asking God for forgiveness. When we place our faith in Jesus Christ for salvation, all of our sins are forgiven. That includes past, present, and future, big or small.

Do we need to ask forgiveness of - Let Us Reason
www.letusreason.org/Biblexp246.htm
Do we need to ask forgiveness of sin in the new covenant. Christ died for all our sins past present and future but this does not negate us from asking forgiveness and being cleansed by the blood.

THOSE ARE YOURS

Thissin is pretty good

What Happens If We Sin After We’re Saved? | I Need ...
newspring.cc/studies/i-need-forgiveness-a-7-day...
Just like the people only needed to bathe once, we only need to trust Jesus for salvation once. When we ask Jesus into our lives, our sins are forgiven, and we are completely clean ( John 13:10 ). Wewill still mess up and fall short, but when that happens, we don’t need to get saved again.

EXCERPT

In John 13, Jesus compared salvation to taking a bath. Just like the people only needed to bathe once, we only need to trust Jesus for salvation once. When we ask Jesus into our lives, our sins are forgiven, and we are completely clean (John 13:10).

We will still mess up and fall short, but when that happens, we don’t need to get saved again. Our sins are already paid for. Instead, we need to admit our sin and turn away from it. If salvation is like a bath, this process of confession and repentance is like a foot washing—repeat as often as necessary.

Now, take your "false accusations" over to the Suicide thread and apply them there................ciao dude

ljs

Jan 13, 2018
That isn't an answer...........yes or no, when you sin now, do you ask God to forgive you for your transgression? If NO, fine. Then tell me exactly what you DO do? Do you just blow it off? Pretend you didn't? Or what?

You said: then I ask him to help me thru his spirit to do better the next time

How is that not asking for forgiveness?

Wow , how was it not an answer LOL
I dont ask him to forgive me , because he already has , I thank him that Im forgiven , and move forward

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Wow , how was it not an answer LOL
I dont ask him to forgive me , because he already has , I thank him that Im forgiven , and move forward
When you ask God to help you to "do better" how is that NOT acknowledging a sin, and asking for Him to forgive it? You may not have used the words........but let's don't get all Legalistic and claim we didn't use the words..........let us look at our actions and hearts intent.

Now, if you TRULY BELIEVE that ALL your sins are forgiven, past, present and future.......why do you bother to thank Him? I mean, He has already forgiven them...........not gonna matter if you thank Him or not, won't change His forgiving of your sins............must be a reason you feel compelled to thank Him and ask Him to help you do better......right?

:) Gotta be something there

ljs

Jan 13, 2018
When you ask God to help you to "do better" how is that NOT acknowledging a sin, and asking for Him to forgive it? You may not have used the words........but let's don't get all Legalistic and claim we didn't use the words..........let us look at our actions and hearts intent.

Now, if you TRULY BELIEVE that ALL your sins are forgiven, past, present and future.......why do you bother to thank Him? I mean, He has already forgiven them...........not gonna matter if you thank Him or not, won't change His forgiving of your sins............must be a reason you feel compelled to thank Him and ask Him to help you do better......right?

:) Gotta be something there

well your right , it wouldnt matter if I thank him or not , or his forgiving me because he already has . He knew every sin I would commit even before I came to him ....but I thank him for his grace and mercy towards me because I love him , and I know that no matter what I do , how I may fail him , he loves me and gave himself for me

Quantrill

Sep 20, 2018
Should read this one also

Do we need to ask forgiveness of - Let Us Reason
www.letusreason.org/Biblexp246.htm
Do we need to ask forgiveness of sin in the new covenant. Christ died for all our sins past present and future but this does not negate us from asking forgiveness and being cleansed by the blood.
Does not negate us 'confessing our sins, and he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.' (1 John 1:9)

Quantrill

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
well your right , it wouldnt matter if I thank him or not , or his forgiving me because he already has . He knew every sin I would commit even before I came to him ....but I thank him for his grace and mercy towards me because I love him , and I know that no matter what I do , how I may fail him , he loves me and gave himself for me
Not picking on you...... :)

It's that you are actually addressing the question I asked

So, how exactly is what you described NOT a License to live as one wishes? I mean, there is NO penalty for doing as one wishes is there? So what's to keep anyone from doing as they wish?

ljs

Jan 13, 2018
lol i just knew that question was coming

The Holy Spirit

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Does not negate us 'confessing our sins, and he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.' (1 John 1:9)

Quantrill
I agree with that...............don't know if you were addressing me or not......but, no, it does not negate. He SURELY IS FAITHFUL to forgive!

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
lol i just knew that question was coming

The Holy Spirit
Lol and I knew that one was............problem is, the Holy Spirit did not keep you from sinning and thanking God for His forgiveness just as you said in your first comment............ Does He only start to "hold you back" after the second, third, or fourteenth time you sin?

:)

Now, for me, free will comes into play here, but there are a bunch here who deny free will.........so

ljs

Jan 13, 2018
well I have free will , and could as you say live how I want , but being a believer , I would be miserable because Gods spirit indwells me

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
SEE.........I knew this would happen! Seriously, Brother

I AM NOT speaking of keeping/losing salvation

I simply want to know IF when we slip up/whatever and sin AFTER we are saved, DO we need to ask for forgiveness? That's it!

Nothing about salvation being kept or lost, nothing..............

It never fails that folks will 'ADD TO' Not hollering at you, actually smiling as I type......

QUESTION: Do we need to ask for forgiveness if we sin even if we are saved?

One more question: If a person says NO......all our sins are already forgiven........then how exactly do they handle the situation? When they slip up and sin........what do they do? Seriously, I need to know this.......what are their exact steps/reactions?

Do they just blow it off? Pretend it didn't happen? Even acknowledge they did it at all? What?

THAT IS ALL I AM ASKING...........NOTHING TO DO WITH KEEPING/LOSING SALVATION
Maybe it is simply the phrasing of the question. Because implicit when the word "need" is used instead of "should" is the consequence of lost salvation or lost sonship. Otherwise, what do you think happens if we DON'T confess a sin after we are saved?

That is why I answered the question the way I did. I think we DO need to confess, but the confession is to maintain the proper relationship with our Father.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
well I have free will , and could as you say live how I want , but being a believer , I would be miserable because Gods spirit indwells me
That answer I LIKE............and I agree..........we, as believers choose to strive to live Christlike lives......however, when I slip up, I respect Him and believe in His faithfulness enough that I confess what I did and ask Him to forgive me my weakness and to strengthen me as I continue to strive to be worthy of Him......

Thanks for your honesty

God bless

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Maybe it is simply the phrasing of the question. Because implicit when the word "need" is used instead of "should" is the consequence of lost salvation or lost sonship. Otherwise, what do you think happens if we DON'T confess a sin after we are saved?

That is why I answered the question the way I did. I think we DO need to confess, but the confession is to maintain the proper relationship with our Father.
Maybe.......need/should........... but you know what I'm gonna say :)

need to obey Him........should obey Him?

I don't think it is implicit...........I think what one faces is SEVERE REPROACH and CHASTISEMENT from God if one does NOT......He will get ya back on the straight and narrow one way or the other........

There are just those here who do not believe one has to do anything........just read the Suicide thread.......and I know you have been, look at some of the responses there........

Thanks, and God bless you and yours

ljs

Jan 13, 2018
That answer I LIKE............and I agree..........we, as believers choose to strive to live Christlike lives......however, when I slip up, I respect Him and believe in His faithfulness enough that I confess what I did and ask Him to forgive me my weakness and to strengthen me as I continue to strive to be worthy of Him......

Thanks for your honesty

God bless
If your saved , your already worthy , nothing you do or dont do makes you more worthy
( unless we are talking about our eternal rewards )

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
what father kicks their child out of their family who does not ask them for forgiveness of a particular sin? And why anyone would think God would act less loving than a loving father who forgives a child unconditionally?
I'd like to know what father sets his child up to fail, and when they do, says screw this I'm out of here.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
If your saved , your already worthy , nothing you do or dont do makes you more worthy
( unless we are talking about our eternal rewards )
There is a process to sanctification, do you acknowledge that? If so, then being made worthy to be presented Holy and Blameless to Him is a process. Getting saved is STEP ONE....of a life journey........in my opinion. Jesus said this, and the Apostle Paul said this.