Media failing us again, sensationalizing Covid-19

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 10, 2019
Canada
I'm very disappointed in MSM outlets and their reporting of the Covid-19 pandemic, not surprised, but still disappointed.

As I write this we're being told that the number of dead in Italy is fast approaching the 10,000 mark. Okay....but is that bad? Not if you compare it to the death toll of the 2016/2017 flu season. According to the International Journal of Infectious Diseases almost 25,000 Italians died from the flu during that influnza season. So deaths from Covid-19 will have to more than double for this pandemic to reach the level of a bad flu season.

I was going to give up social media posting during lent, but this pandemic has resulted in my me pretty much house bound like everyone else. I'm complying with all the social distancing and other protocols being put in place, if I visited friends and family right now like I would otherwise do I'd be tarred and feathered because people are being driven to near panic.

That 25,000 death figure for Italy's 2016/2017 is from a reputable scientific source...not Alex Jones or David Icke or anything like that. The IJID did a study which tried to determine why flu related cases and deaths were so much higher in Italy than in other European nations. Their conclusions match what experts are saying about why Coronavirus is so deadly in Italy. Italy has the oldest population in Europe, both by average and median age, and the highest percentage of smokers. Everyone is saying that Covid is worse than the flu, I doubt that. And when it comes to infants influenza is actually far more dangerous.

I'll end this post with a Covid-19 joke.....hmmmm, most of you won't get it :)

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(19)30328-5/fulltext

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
were you actually IN italy at the time?
no?
Then if lots of people died there and you think it doesnt actually affect you would be quite wrong. This is is a serious and deadly virus.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
In the 80s scores of people died from HIV and that did affect the entire world, many people in africa are infected and there are a great many orphans and widows. You think AIDS epidemic wasnt bad?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
i am disgusted that people compare deaths and say it wasnt as much as so and so. God cares about the sparrows not one falls without his knowledge, how much more does He care for people?

Aug 10, 2019
Canada
i am disgusted that people compare deaths and say it wasnt as much as so and so. God cares about the sparrows not one falls without his knowledge, how much more does He care for people?
The reaction is overblown....in Canada 2,000 people die each year in car accidents, another 10,000 on top of that are seriously injured. Does that mean we shut down all motor vehicle traffic, and feign disgust toward anyone who doesn't agree?

Jun 10, 2019
The reaction is overblown....in Canada 2,000 people die each year in car accidents, another 10,000 on top of that are seriously injured. Does that mean we shut down all motor vehicle traffic, and feign disgust toward anyone who doesn't agree?
well look at the numbers world wide. Is the coronavirus daily death more or less than the flu?

Every year an estimated 290,000 to 650,000 people die in the world due to complications from seasonal influenza (flu) viruses.
This figure corresponds to 795 to 1,781 deaths per day due to the seasonal flu.

so far coronavirus deaths today is at 2,697

Jun 10, 2019
So far today’s road traffic fatalities world wide, and how many people drive the roads around the world each day

2,271Road traffic accident fatalities today

Aug 10, 2019
Canada
well look at the numbers world wide. Is the coronavirus daily death more or less than the flu?

Every year an estimated 290,000 to 650,000 people die in the world due to complications from seasonal influenza (flu) viruses.
This figure corresponds to 795 to 1,781 deaths per day due to the seasonal flu.

so far coronavirus deaths today is at 2,697
Nobody likes death. Christians are taught to be compassionate, we're exhorted to love our neighbors and to welcome the stranger, feed the hungry and more.

But death is also a part of life, everyone is suffering from a terminal disease called life and the mortality rate is 100%.

In the United States over 37,000 people died in car accidents in 2016....with more than 2 million injured, some permanently disabled from being paralyzed. If one doesn't advocate for the complete elimination of all vehicle traffic, does that mean they're a monster? Or maybe we could institute draconian laws that would make any non-essential driving a crime punishable by fine and or imprisonment to reduce the death toll?

The US and other countries have put the global economy into a coma because of a report put out by the Imperial College of London. That report said the U.S. would suffer over 2 million deaths if action wasn't taken. Even with mitigation efforts like closing schools, social distancing and shuttering non-essential business it was forecasted that 1.1 to 1.2 million American would still die.

The sciencetists spoke and the world listened....1 million or so dead is much better than 2 million after all in terms of the United States. Now though it seems the scientists were wrong, they usually are....most scientific theories fail.

The Covid-19 point man Dr. Fausti is already dialing back the rhetoric. Inititally he was saying that the Coronavirus was more than 10x more deadly that the flu....which would have supported the 2+ million forecasted covid-19 deaths. Now, just today he said the US "COULD" suffer 100 to 200K deaths....and if it "COULD" then that means it also COULD NOT.

Be safe and keep well all.

Jun 10, 2019
What I can’t quite comprehend is the amount of daily abortions. 72,929Abortions today This clicks every second or less
https://www.worldometers.info/

i know a lot of these are in regions they say are unsafe abortions and I don’t know what that means.

but I think most the world is up to date as far as this virus is concerned, yet doctors and nurses and patients around the world continue this practice while a virus pandemic is killing people.

Is it wrong to say hey let’s not do abortions right now there a pandemic going on, should not do abortions anyways but that’s another issue, I’m just talking about the doctors and nurses or who ever is doing this in the world while a virus runs rampant.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
The media lies.. about EVERY THING..

When are y'all gonna wake up and see that?

Aug 10, 2019
Canada
The media lies.. about EVERY THING..

When are y'all gonna wake up and see that?
I hardly watch any broadcast news, most of what I see is on-line from mainstream news outlets, and I can fact check everything.....

When I found out that governments like in Canada and the US were putting the economy into a coma based on a report issued by the Imperial College of London I went and read the actual report.....guess what, the predictions they were making were based on the result of computer modelling, and the problem is they didn't have enough data to make predictions with any degree of accuracy....but that didn't stop them from having the acorn hitting their head and deciding to run around telling everyone the sky was falling.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I'm very disappointed in MSM outlets and their reporting of the Covid-19 pandemic, not surprised, but still disappointed.
You should have expected ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from those Left-liberal hacks claiming to be journalists.

They are bound and determined to attack Trump and America, while praising China and the Democrats. Which means they will continue to promote lies and suppress the truth. They will also manufacture lies in order to hurt Trump.

However, there are many excellent CONSERVATIVE NEWS SOURCES. Do a Google search and check them out for yourself.

Aug 10, 2019
Canada
You should have expected ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from those Left-liberal hacks claiming to be journalists.

They are bound and determined to attack Trump and America, while praising China and the Democrats. Which means they will continue to promote lies and suppress the truth. They will also manufacture lies in order to hurt Trump.

However, there are many excellent CONSERVATIVE NEWS SOURCES. Do a Google search and check them out for yourself.
I'm not a big Trump fan....sometimes he does deserve to be criticized, all politicans should be able to accept criticism, but Trump's skin is tissue paper thin. But you're right, a lot of the time the criticism is over the top and at times outright fraudulent....if this outbreak ends up being no worse than a bad flu season they won't give him credit for his foresight.

Jun 10, 2019
I hardly watch any broadcast news, most of what I see is on-line from mainstream news outlets, and I can fact check everything.....

When I found out that governments like in Canada and the US were putting the economy into a coma based on a report issued by the Imperial College of London I went and read the actual report.....guess what, the predictions they were making were based on the result of computer modelling, and the problem is they didn't have enough data to make predictions with any degree of accuracy....but that didn't stop them from having the acorn hitting their head and deciding to run around telling everyone the sky was falling.
You make a good point about the media, it’s seem it is either overblown or underrated. is there a kind of middle ground while it’s unraveling across the world, can actual data be drawn while the event is unfolding.

Aug 10, 2019
Canada
You make a good point about the media, it’s seem it is either overblown or underrated. is there a kind of middle ground while it’s unraveling across the world, can actual data be drawn while the event is unfolding.
In our polarized world, not any more....or not much. I did hook my computer up to the TV to watch CBC's morning news before tuning into my church's streamed service this morning, and I was rolling my eyes. The music, the language, the tone.....it all said: "BE AFRAID, BE VERY VERY AFRAID". But the data being reported doesn't warrant the sensational coverage....they could do the same thing every year in reporting on the seasonal flu. Why don't they? Because influenza has been around forever and nobody would be worried about it.

Jun 10, 2019
In our polarized world, not any more....or not much. I did hook my computer up to the TV to watch CBC's morning news before tuning into my church's streamed service this morning, and I was rolling my eyes. The music, the language, the tone.....it all said: "BE AFRAID, BE VERY VERY AFRAID". But the data being reported doesn't warrant the sensational coverage....they could do the same thing every year in reporting on the seasonal flu. Why don't they? Because influenza has been around forever and nobody would be worried about it.
it’s not always good to listen to a tone saying be afraid be very afraid, unless the broadcaster of news is actually saying those exact words then again at what point should news be legit or not legit. Like if the weather news says the high today will reach 90 and it reaches 90 it was legit.

in your opinion when does the warrant kick in let’s say this is a pandemic, at 50 million deaths and 3 billion infected?

E

EleventhHour

Prove this and show me the report.

E

EleventhHour

[QUOTE="StrugglingTilMyReward, post: 4202499, member: 287823"]I'm very disappointed in MSM outlets and their reporting of the Covid-19 pandemic, not surprised, but still disappointed.

As I write this we're being told that the number of dead in Italy is fast approaching the 10,000 mark. Okay....but is that bad? Not if you compare it to the death toll of the 2016/2017 flu season. According to the International Journal of Infectious Diseases almost 25,000 Italians died from the flu during that influnza season. So deaths from Covid-19 will have to more than double for this pandemic to reach the level of a bad flu season.

I was going to give up social media posting during lent, but this pandemic has resulted in my me pretty much house bound like everyone else. I'm complying with all the social distancing and other protocols being put in place, if I visited friends and family right now like I would otherwise do I'd be tarred and feathered because people are being driven to near panic.

That 25,000 death figure for Italy's 2016/2017 is from a reputable scientific source...not Alex Jones or David Icke or anything like that. The IJID did a study which tried to determine why flu related cases and deaths were so much higher in Italy than in other European nations. Their conclusions match what experts are saying about why Coronavirus is so deadly in Italy. Italy has the oldest population in Europe, both by average and median age, and the highest percentage of smokers. Everyone is saying that Covid is worse than the flu, I doubt that. And when it comes to infants influenza is actually far more dangerous.

I'll end this post with a Covid-19 joke.....hmmmm, most of you won't get it :)

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(19)30328-5/fulltext[/QUOTE]

Everyone is saying that Covid is worse than the flu, I doubt that. And when it comes to infants influenza is actually far more dangerous.
This would be wrong completely.
But then you seem to prefer to make faulty comparisons.
I wonder why the Spanish Flu killed so many people after all it was actually was just a flu?

Aug 10, 2019
Canada
Prove this and show me the report.
EH, you're calling me a liar, how very charitbable of you. But I can easily share the report, I've shared it on my Fbk profile along with my commentary:

https://spiral.imperial.ac.uk:8443/...RiK_nHl5dIyGYEUtnfrzeewOd3pcm3i5xY4jzRwHOb30Y

Would you also like me to show you the reporting on sites like The Financial Times that cite how it was this report that led governments in countries like the United States, Great Britain and Canada to basically put the economy into a coma?

Here's a snippet from the report citing the forecasted death figures for the U.S. and GB (Great Britain). The report only dealt with those two countries, but said that other western nations could expect similar proportional results based on population:

"Perhaps our most significant conclusion is that mitigation is unlikely to be feasible without emergency surge capacity limits of the UK and US healthcare systems being exceeded many times over. In the most effective mitigation strategy examined, which leads to a single, relatively short epidemic (case isolation, household quarantine and social distancing of the elderly), the surge limits for both general ward and ICU beds would be exceeded by at least 8-fold under the more optimistic scenario for critical care requirements that we examined. In addition, even if all patients were able to be treated, we predict there would still be in the order of 250,000 deaths in GB, and 1.1-1.2 million in the US".

I'll leave you to read the 20 page report yourself, you'll see that they forecast over 2 million deaths in the United States if nothing were to be done. Happy browsing and God Bless.

E

EleventhHour

EH, you're calling me a liar, how very charitbable of you. But I can easily share the report, I've shared it on my Fbk profile along with my commentary:

https://spiral.imperial.ac.uk:8443/bitstream/10044/1/77482/5/Imperial College COVID19 NPI modelling 16-03-2020.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3Mac-Bcz9O1eRiK_nHl5dIyGYEUtnfrzeewOd3pcm3i5xY4jzRwHOb30Y

Would you also like me to show you the reporting on sites like The Financial Times that cite how it was this report that led governments in countries like the United States, Great Britain and Canada to basically put the economy into a coma?

Here's a snippet from the report citing the forecasted death figures for the U.S. and GB (Great Britain). The report only dealt with those two countries, but said that other western nations could expect similar proportional results based on population:

"Perhaps our most significant conclusion is that mitigation is unlikely to be feasible without emergency surge capacity limits of the UK and US healthcare systems being exceeded many times over. In the most effective mitigation strategy examined, which leads to a single, relatively short epidemic (case isolation, household quarantine and social distancing of the elderly), the surge limits for both general ward and ICU beds would be exceeded by at least 8-fold under the more optimistic scenario for critical care requirements that we examined. In addition, even if all patients were able to be treated, we predict there would still be in the order of 250,000 deaths in GB, and 1.1-1.2 million in the US".

I'll leave you to read the 20 page report yourself, you'll see that they forecast over 2 million deaths in the United States if nothing were to be done. Happy browsing and God Bless.
Not calling you a liar I want to read it for myself.
Thank you, I will get back to you.