Mike Winger's "Why I think Calvinism is Unbiblical"

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

maxamir

Mar 8, 2024
The grace is in that God accounts faith in Him, i.e. the faith that He is faithful (to keep His Word), as righteousness. That is, no one has any way of 'knowing' that God will keep His Word, except by faith in His character to keep it except by faith, but that is not without from the hearing of the enormous amounts of evidence that He has proven to have kept it such as in regard to Abraham's account.
The only reason why Abraham kept God's word and believed Him was because of the free gift of faith given to him by grace. Obedience is the fruit of the free gift of righteousness and not the cause of it.

Rom 4:16a Therefore it is of faith that it might be according to grace,

Rom 5:15 But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one man's offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many.
Rom 5:16 And the gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned. For the judgment which came from one offense resulted in condemnation, but the free gift which came from many offenses resulted in justification.
Rom 5:17 For if by the one man's offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.)

maxamir

Mar 8, 2024
Israel is the divorced wife of YHVH. The Church is the virgin Bride.

Israel will be redeemed/reconciled/renewed to God after the tribulation at the Second Coming.
The virgin Church will be raptured before the tribulation by Jesus the Bridegroom.

Both parties will enjoy the fulfillment of the promises made to Abraham at the return of Jesus.

Afterward, both will exist in union with God........forever, for eternity.
The wall between the two was broken down in Christ. God is not a polygamist and only has ONE wife!

Eph 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.
Eph 2:14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation,
Eph 2:15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace,
Eph 2:16 and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity.
Eph 2:17 And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near.
Eph 2:18 For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
???The only reason why??? Abraham kept God's word and believed Him
Really?
Satan kept God's word and believed him too for a while......until he didn't. Who are you going to blame for that?

So what exactly do you think happened? God created Satan evil to begin with?

Because Satan DOES blame God......for everything (including his fallen state) day in and day out.
And will continue to do so for eternity. Same goes for unredeemed men by the way.

Beware of the grievous error blaming God for anything........including mans choice not to believe Him.

maxamir

Mar 8, 2024
There are times, when the challenge before me is something I already recognize and can solve on my own due to experience. But in my walk in/within/and with God, I have come to a point in my life I can see the problem, I understand the problem, but I say to God rather than solve it on my own, "Have Your Way in this." It's a point of emphasis that indicates my spiritual growth. But more so than that, it's a testimonial of God developing me into His Purpose. It's a reference point of how far God has arrived from when I was first saved to the "works" He's done that has me to where I am now.

The fact that I can look back and see where I began in my actions and thinking at my conversion into Christ + I am able to compare how those have developed into better examples of being closer to the product of a better person than back then = God's Progress in my life both mentally and spiritually. And that assures me that God is still with me and is taking me the rest of where I need to become and reach the place God saw in me from the beginning.

The Gospel of John chapter 16 verse (7) Jesus says it is "BETTER" for us that He leaves the world because He will send the Holy Spirit.
The very next verse (8) Jesus explains the function of why the Holy Spirit needs to come (to bring CONVICTION and a REMINDER of SIN and the need for Salvation).

So being full of the Holy Spirit, I am convicted when I sin and THANK GOD for that. Seeking Forgiveness and overcoming the desire to sin by killing the flesh DAILY = Spiritual Growth.

If you can sin and feel no conviction, it's not because you are under Grace and have victory. It's because your CONSCIOUSNESS has been SEARED! And knowing that I get convicted of sin because my consciousness is not seared, is an overwhelming indication I am right with God.

I have no issue riding the altar all the way to Heaven. But thankfully, God has progressed me to where I sin less and recognize temptations quicker so I can avoid them. God would not have done His Works to get me where I am at if I was eternally lost. So I understand that should I fall over dead in the next 30 seconds, I will be with God in Paradise for all eternity.
Thank you for your long reply.

I seek to ask this question not in any way to make you feel condemned but in the hope that you would consider what is asked. It seems from what you have written that you are finding assurance in your growth in Christ and in getting victory over sin which is indeed a fruit of those who have been regenerated but unless your primary assurance is found in the person and work of Christ and not yourself or what you do, it is easy to fall into the trap of those as found in Matthew 7:21-23 who called Christ Lord and pointed to what they had done as their assurance and not to Christ Himself and were left with the most disturbing words in the whole of Scripture that He did not know them, which obviously does not mean He didn't know of them but didn't have an intimate relationship with them.

There are so many who say that they know Christ today but whose hearts have never been changed and they would not be willing to lay down their lives for Him. I sincerely hope and pray that the Lord would grant you, I, and all who say they are followers of Christ the grace to look to Christ and not ourselves and live, suffer and die for Him who lived, suffered and died for His people to grant them eternal life.

maxamir

Mar 8, 2024
There is no misspelling. And I would appreciate it very much if you'd keep the discussion clean and not slump to beneath the belt blows. I could easily find some mistake in your posts and make you look like a fool. So let's keep it clean.

The answer is the same as the first time you said it. Myself and others here have provided all kinds of Scripture to refute Calvinism and why it is unbiblical.

View attachment 263993

Well, that and several other things actually. But you can't debate if people change the meaning of what a verse is saying.[/QUOTE]

there is no misspelling only if you think that this is a websight and not a website.

I have not yet had any of the these people you have mentioned correct or refute the Doctrines of Grace and show how it is unbiblical using Scripture. Please tell them to come and lovingly correct me if they believe I am somehow deceived and seeking to deceive others.

I'll ask you and those who you mention one simple question. Did God lie to Adam in Genesis 2:17 below because Adam ended up living to the ripe old age of 930?

Gen 2:17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."

maxamir

Mar 8, 2024
Again, you’re taking Paul’s writings to the Gentile body of Christ and comparing it to Jewish passages. Not good Bible study. Rightly divide the word of truth.
Until you realise that all Scripture is given to all of the Body of Christ which contains both Jew and Gentile as confirmed below you will fail to realise that the Old is fulfilled in the New and therefore the Old can not truly be understood unless it is looked at through the lens of fulfilment of the New, which is why you fail to properly see until you take of your Old goggles.

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
2Ti 3:17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

1716433067653.png

maxamir

Mar 8, 2024
Yes, the 70 A.D. nutters and replacement theology nutters wrongly espouse that the introduction of the New Covenant destroys the nation Israel and it's purpose.

When in fact exactly the opposite is true. Truthfully, the nation Israel finally FULLFILLS its intened purpose at last. Thereby fulfilling prophecy of course.

The 70ad and replacement theology nutters never get it right. Never have.......never will.
Please do not call yourself a Christian unless you abide in the truth of the New Testament which confirms that the Old has passed away and is now obsolete.

Heb 8:13 In that He says, "A NEW COVENANT," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Please prove that any who call themselves Jews today have any connection to the Israel of old which in obedience to their law offered daily sacrifices.

It is no wonder that DNA tests are banned in the current state of Israel as they prove that the only ones with a Semitic connection are the Palestinians and not the Talmudic Pharisees, mostly from Khazaria who converted and call themselves Jews today and are in fact as Christ confirmed twice, counterfeits of the Synagogue of Satan (Rev 2:9, 3:9).

1716433737031.jpeg

maxamir

Mar 8, 2024
A competent Bible scholar could easily prove that Satan is a hyper-Calvinist.

Same goes for replacement theology and kicking Israel to the curb.

So good luck with your hyper-Calvinism.
A Hyper-Calvinist would not bother seeking to correct you or preach the Gospel to you as they would see your words as being proof that you are a reprobate and not waste their time with you but God has granted me the grace to seek to correct those I see in error as yourself with the Scriptures.

If you refuse to take heed of these corrections, then your blood is not upon me as I sincerely sought to help you even though you are now resorting to slander against me and false accusations. I am commanded in Scripture to not cast pearls before swine so if you continue to not engage in a proper manner then I would have no resort but to end this discussion and pray that God give you absolutely no peace until you are humbled to see the plain truth of Scripture.

maxamir

Mar 8, 2024
Really?
Satan kept God's word and believed him too for a while......until he didn't. Who are you going to blame for that?

So what exactly do you think happened? God created Satan evil to begin with?

Because Satan DOES blame God......for everything (including his fallen state) day in and day out.
And will continue to do so for eternity. Same goes for unredeemed men by the way.

Beware of the grievous error blaming God for anything........including mans choice not to believe Him.
God created certain angels on a conditional footing for His greater glory which included the fall of Satan and the angels who followed him. Do you think that God was surprised and did not know that this would happen?

Rhomphaeam

Dec 14, 2021
England
www.nblc.church
you utterly ignore the abundant Scriptures that show that no man seeks after or chooses God without God first choosing them. Man can not and does not want to choose God because he is spiritually dead and to obey God is foolishness to him unless he has been born again by grace who are given new wills to obey God out of gratitude and not merit. Do I need to quote these Scriptures to you?
Can I be sure please that you do in fact understand your own words. I am not certain that you do. Hence the question.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
The only reason why Abraham kept God's word and believed Him was because of the free gift of faith given to him by grace. Obedience is the fruit of the free gift of righteousness and not the cause of it.

Rom 4:16a Therefore it is of faith that it might be according to grace,

Rom 5:15 But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one man's offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many.
Rom 5:16 And the gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned. For the judgment which came from one offense resulted in condemnation, but the free gift which came from many offenses resulted in justification.
Rom 5:17 For if by the one man's offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.)
I would have to consider it true that faith is a work in order to agree with you, and I cannot do so in good conscience.

studier

Apr 18, 2024
When Spirit is capitalized in scripture, it is generally accepted to mean the Holy Spirit.
The problem when we review all the mentions of "spirit" in the Text is that we run into places where it's difficult to determine if it should be capitalized or not. Translations are not flawless.

'm not opposed to the idea that the mind and heart being inexorably linked. I would also include the will. But just because the Bible speaks of them interchangeably at times, that doesn't negate them being spoken of separately.
Matt9:4 Jesus clearly knew their thoughts and asked why some were thinking evil in their hearts. I see no reason to mitigate what this says. Are you concerned that the language re: the Lord opening Lydia's heart to get her to pay attention somehow suggests her mind was not involved?

Most people's conception of total depravity is total inability, but total depravity is simply that every aspect of man was corrupted in the fall. And that's what God deals with in salvation: every aspect of man...mind, heart, and will. I believe this is what occurred with Lydia. Acts 16:14-15...the Lord opened her heart...heart...and she attended to the things Paul shared...the mind...and she was baptized...the will.
I guess this answers my question just above. I've no substantial disagreement with what you say here, other than noting you have not explained the heart at all. Your separation of heart and mind seem manufactured. Based upon what Jesus said in Matt9:4 your distinction seems unnecessary.

studier

Apr 18, 2024
Preterists would have better spent their time at the slot machines in Vegas than such an horrifically vain undertaking as kicking Israel to the curb over and over again.

It's clear you are an eschatology buff and have strong opinions. It seems to me that it's been a safer bet to side with the non-sensationalists over the years.

I haven't been keeping up. Did anything major happen by 5/18/24 (or whatever the date) after the aleph was seen in the sky 40 days earlier?

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Until you realise that all Scripture is given to all of the Body of Christ which contains both Jew and Gentile as confirmed below you will fail to realise that the Old is fulfilled in the New and therefore the Old can not truly be understood unless it is looked at through the lens of fulfilment of the New, which is why you fail to properly see until you take of your Old goggles.

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
2Ti 3:17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

View attachment 264012
All scripture is written for us, but not all scripture is written to us. Big difference. Al scripture is written for our learning, but not all scripture is written for our participation.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
that the Old is fulfilled in the New and therefore the Old can not truly be understood unless it is looked at through the lens of fulfilment of the New, which is why you fail to properly see until you take of your Old goggles.
You've got that backwards bub....

The NEW is fulfilled from the OLD and therefore the NEW can not truly be understood unless it is looked at through the lens of fulfilment of the OLD

which is why you fail to properly see until you PUT ON of your OLD goggles.

Luk 24:27
And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
It's clear you are an eschatology buff and have strong opinions. It seems to me that it's been a safer bet to side with the non-sensationalists over the years.

I haven't been keeping up. Did anything major happen by 5/18/24 (or whatever the date) after the aleph was seen in the sky 40 days earlier?
There are a few "Prophecy Club" pundits on the board. @ZNP comes to mind.

Again.....an utter waste of time and effort. Sensationalist garbage.

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
when were the vessels of wrath made for destruction if the elect were chosen before the foundation of the world and time began?

Logic demands that those who were not chosen for salvation were done at the same moment as confirmed below to demonstrate the glory of His power and just wrath upon the lumps of dishonour whom God hates and were were left hardened according to the good pleasure of the Potter.

Pro 16:4 The LORD has made all for Himself, Yes, even the wicked for the day of doom.

Remember, not all Israel is Israel. Elijah thought he alone was the only one left but was told that God had reserved a remnant of 7000. Many scholars estimate the the population of Israel was about 2.5 million at that time and that remnant works out to be about a quarter of one percent of the whole nation. God has a remnant which He told Abraham was found among all nations and not the one to which conditional covenants were given and they utterly broke and stumbled upon the Rock which is Christ as was prophesied therefore the only true Jews today are Christians who are the true Israel of God and seed of Abraham in Christ.

Rom 2:28 For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh;
Rom 2:29 but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter; whose praise is not from men but from God.

Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:29 And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
The KJV has it "the vessels of wrath fitted for destruction" ... the question is who fitted them? Nobody starts out a murderer though they may have the propensity for it. We have to learn how to fight, to kill, we need to be trained. We even have to learn how to lie successfully, how to seduce, nobody is born drunk or a drug addict. These be the things that fit us for destruction.

Yes logic demands, that's what I said to you. You are going by human logic. Calvin reluctantly admitted that all logic dictates that if God chose some for to be saved then He must have passed over all others. It's human logic.

It is only true if predestination and election are doctrines that apply per se to salvation. They do not. They apply to our being conformed to the image of the Beloved, God's Son. We all want to be like Jesus, this is a wonderful doctrine for it shows us that it is God's will that we should.

Once again we are chosen in Christ before the world was founded to be a people for the praise of God's glorious grace. Again wonderful, we all want to tell of His wonders.

... none of this excludes a single soul from being saved. Indeed we are to be a city set upon a hill, not to exclude but to be a beacon of hope for whoever is weary and sad, in need of shelter. We are the church the city of refuge. THAT'S what we are predestined and chosen for.

Few there be that find the narrow gate but those who do God sends down to the broad way that leads to destruction to pull men off it and lead them to the narrow way as happens in revival. The Great Awakenings.

Now I said these were tricky scriptures that need careful consideration. You mention the Potter and the clay. But there is nothing wrong with the clay when it was created, it was perfectly good for the purpose it was created for. The decisions concerning how to manage, how to fashion the clay comes after the fall [we are speaking about men, not clay]

God is still King, He still has charge of His now fallen creation. He has as Potter to decide how He will make use of His spoiled clay.

Have you ever tried to plumb the depth of evil in man? men like Hitler or Stalin or Mao ze Dong? .... Judas Iscariot? Pharoah? what makes them what they are? In every case it is ambition, greed, greed for power. Those things are not of God, not created by Him or in any way imparted by Him. How and why God chooses these men to be what they become is a deep, deep mystery in God Himself. He only can see what is the heart of every man.

But all these things are God's will in the light of an already fallen creation. Paul speaks about a good and perfect will of God which we are to seek.

Lastly you talk about Elijah's remnant. But with Mt Carmel and the ministries of Elisha and King Jehu the remnant became the whole house of Israel. They kept the covenant alive and in operation.