MODERN CHRISTIANS WORSHIPPING THEIR HEATHEN GODS--by tossing out the 7th Day Sabbath

  • Thread starter Thread starter ClaudiaT
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
ClaudiaT, read the following on which day was observed by second century contemporaries of the first century church.

But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. Justin Martyr (about 100-165 AD)

Here is someone who actually knew contemporaries of Paul and John, etc., and he says that Sunday was the one day in seven on which all Christians in his day considered as applicable to the fourth commandment. But along comes a few people who think they see, in this text, the word Saturday. It is not there! All it says is one day in a cycle of sevens. Days of the week did not yet have names in the first century. These did not become common until early in the second. And Justin Martyr tells us that the one day in seven honored by early Christians was Sunday.
 
None of the lengthy posts i have shared within the last ten minutes are my work, however I heartily endorse all of them.

This can be one of our biggest problems that we take someone elses word and don't study the bible for ourselves. Please look up the word Sabbath in your bible concordance and read every verse and then see how you think about what God says about the Sabbath. Do this for yourself and God will surely bless you for it.
 
Very, very close. I almost agree. The problem comes in as to where our faith is. Is our faith in keeping a day or is it in the work of the cross. My faith must be soundly placed in the cross and nothing else, because the the only thing that the Father will accept is the cross and not what I do. Jesus said come unto me for my yoke is easy and mt burden is light. The yoke of law so heavy that no man could keep it So far as much that Jesus also said that if you look at women with lust you have already committed adultery or if you look at a man with malice you have already committed murder. How is this possible, how can any man keep this stringent law. The fact is we cannot. However, if we place our faith in the work of the cross, then the Holy Spirit does in us what we cannot do. The moment our faith is placed in something else, such as a day or some rule or ritual, the Holy Spirit backs off because He cannot honor our wrongly placed faith. Yes he is gently and understanding but in time as we grow. We must understand that it is by Him and through Him and to Him. It's not by might nor by power but by My Spirit says the Lord. Not of our own ability, not by our willpower, not because we cut the church grass or give our money. Those are good things and should be done, but not where our faith should be.


My faith is in what Jesus has done for me at the cross. But I still need God's law to tell me what is expected and show me that I need to know Jesus. That is why I keep saying they are Gods rules of His government and show us what He expects from us. Jesus fulfilled the law and I rest in Him. But there are still a lot of sinners out there that need a road sign to show them what sin is so they know they need a savior. I hope you understand what I am saying.
 
So if Jesus took all of my sins past present and future. Paid the full punishment and penalty for every commandment broken. Then how could it be as a born again Spirit filled believer would I be punished for what has clearly all been paid?

Only if you continued in that sin and did not repent. A truly Spirit filled Christian will abide in Jesus and turn away from sinning with the power of the Holy Spirit. And if we do fall we have an advocate Jesus Christ who is ready and willing to forgive us when we repent.
 
Only if you continued in that sin and did not repent. A truly Spirit filled Christian will abide in Jesus and turn away from sinning with the power of the Holy Spirit. And if we do fall we have an advocate Jesus Christ who is ready and willing to forgive us when we repent.
Thank you for the elemental truth of the gospel.
 
Just save all the excuses and the trouble and admit you LOVE TO SIN.

Love is patient, love is kind brother. Our fellow Christians have been taught a different doctrine but they love Jesus we have to be gentle and loving. Strong words push them away. I try to speak truth with a soft heart towards them. Because I was told you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I hear you and your zeal but please be gentle and continue to speak the truth.
 
Don't have cable so no don't watch TV, yes use the lights, water, air, pc, phone. Unless an absolute emergency I would not have any of those services fixed on a Sabbath it would not make sense to have these companies come out every Friday to turn all of this off and then turn it on again on Sunday. Sabbath was made for man not man for the Sabbath - I don't go out to eat or do any marketing, purchasing on a Sabbath as I do feel it would be making someone work. Your list is a list a Pharisee or a Sadducee would come up with. I would imagine that a lot of the utility companies have their systems automated (a machine running a machine) as I can't believe when I turn on the water a man is pumping on the other end to give it to me probably a machine is pushing it through.

You are right that utilities are automated, but there are always people having to work to montor the system.
The point I was making is that we have become a 24/7 society that forces people to work on Sat. and/or Sun. every week which limits or in some cases prevents them from a worship service.
This happened only because those who claim to be Christians allowed it to happen.
I spent 45 years in the retail grocery business and saw this happen. When the stores went to a seven day week, I saw those who worship on Sat. shopping on Sat. afternoon and those who worship on Sun. shopping on Sun. afternoon.
Employees were given a choice, work on Sat. & Sun. or loose your job.
If we are going to set aside one day a week for rest and prayer and worship and fellowship with God, that lets turn of all the world not just the CONVENIENT things.
If those who call themselves Christians would do so, those who were being forced to work on Sat. and Sun. would be fewer in number, even those automated systems.

I had a very difficult time being courteous to those shoppers who came straight from church on Sat and Sun.
And yes I did work for a time only a few blocks from a Seven Day Adventist Church.
 
Just save all the excuses and the trouble and admit you LOVE TO SIN.
Uriah, you do realize how deceitful and desperately wicked the human heart is according to Isaiah 1:5, Jer 17:9. You may not love to sin but the thoughts and imaginations of the heart that are not of God must be cast down and if not cast down they become an image that is esteemed against the knowledge of God even if it is unintentional. This is idolatry and if God was to reveal to you how much your own heart is involved with idolatry, that would probably send you away with guilt and condemnation. The Holy Spirit is the one who motivates us through the word and sheds the love of God in our heart. We all need to grow in our desire for the Things of God and it takes lots of grace for that to happen. This is why we are under grace and not the law and when sin abounds grace much more abounds. Some do not like the fact that some need a tremendous amount of grace and forgiveness but every man has his capacity before God and every man has his resetting sins and that includes you.
 
Very true howard

Yes the disciples had to wait and yet knew the truth, yet they had to wait for the Holy Spirit to come and speak truth through them as is what I see we are to do today as well, that scripture of Matt10:16-20 is for us today as well. Just what i see after many years of trying to see through the fight of flesh and the Spirit of God. has been a long Journey and still have much to learn by trust not by self efforts
Persecution:
Galatians 4:29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.

Bottom line above written it is what it is and why I consider me dead with Christ in the flesh daily and held back alive by God in trust and thanksgiving to God with praise and worship in the Spirit
 
very true indeed. Wait, was that for worshiping on Sunday, or was it Sabbath?

“In the 4th century, Jerome also refers to Nazarenes as those “…who accept Messiah in such a way that they do not cease to observe the old Law.” In his Epistle 79, to Augustine
By the time we get to Constantine’s adoption of ‘Christianity’ as a state religion, all of the original tenants (observation of Sabbath and Torah) were subject to persecution. All of the original tenants of the faith of the Nazarenes were outlawed and made punishable by death. Presumably, Yeshua would have been subject to these punishable offenses as well!
There were still believers in Yeshua who followed the pattern he himself established! They observed the Torah. They kept the Feasts and Sabbaths and dietary laws. They were described as ‘Jews who have converted to Christianity.’ Wikipedia goes on to document how these Nazarenes were persecuted.

Mat 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
...and He continues to tell who will be persecuted


Was he warning them of the events in the fourth century (and others), or are all persecutions a foreshadow of things to come? This scenario is repeated in the prophetic book of Revelation.
Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
What are the characteristics of this woman with which the dragon was wroth? Are they the same as those martyred by Constantine, the Inquisition etc.?
She is a remnant that keeps the commandments and the testimony of Yahshua. Not two women. Just one: the bride. The true ‘church’ that holds the same faith as that once delivered to the saints (Jude 1:3).

The true Tabernacle, not Church is in Heaven right now, where we are made Citizens through the finished work of Christ for us if we believe, thank you
[h=1]Hebrews 8:1-4 (Authorized (King James) Version)[/h]
Page Options
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email

Show resources


Add parallel[h=3]Hebrews 8:1-4[/h]Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

8 Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens; [SUP]2 [/SUP]a minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man. [SUP]3 [/SUP]For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer. [SUP]4 [/SUP]For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law:
 
Homard: Lets zero in on this one question and not add any scripture that may or may not apply. Just concentrate on the seventh day Sabbath like a child sitting before the Father asking Him to explain. First, the Father would explain about creation, and how He made the last day of creation a holy day that He blessed. You ask about the lunar calendar that was used at that time, and God would explain that to you. It is how time was divided at the time the creation was explained, and then sun up to sun down divided days. God's Son explained a lot of things about how we were to honor this special day God gave to us, God expects us to listen to His Son. The Father assigned a people to live out His ways. They didn't do it very well, but we are to look to the ones who did live out God's instructions for ideas on how to follow God and Jesus His Son. God gave lots of instructions to us, but these are the instructions that apply to this one question about how to follow Him about the Sabbath.

And I see from God to me Jesus is the Sabbath rest I see everyday as the Sabbath being in God through Christ, and you view one day above another, okay, That is great, I view every day alike and give God thanks as you do too. So I am not trying to convince you different as to what you are convicted of to do
Romans 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

I am free in Christ and not stressed out anymore, I do not know about anyone else, but this is what God has shown me, to rest as he has rested since the foundation of the world
Hebrews 4 a good insight to this at least for me
 
The sabbath is not mentioned at all in Romans 14. The first two verses show what it is about, food and fast days. The Pharisees fasted twice a week so regarded them days differently. Only one day of the 7 has been blessed by God. No other day has been blessed other than the 7th. Can you show me where the 7th day is no longer blessed? Can you show me where God has blessed any other day besides the 7th?

Colossians 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:


And I am not Judging you or anyone as to what they beleive they need to do as in worship to God.
For me again as said many times before I view every day as the Sabbath, I have through Christ been called to rest in Father through Son and rest I do I whistle while I work, for through Christ it:
John 19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

then he rose on the third day by Father, and we are today n o longer under the:
Hebrews 7:11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?
Hebrews 7:12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

So right there above it states the facts that we are under new law and Priesthood

And Christ was not from the levite tribe either, he was from the tribe of Judah
Christ is the sabbath rest for eternity, to whistle 24/7 in thanksgiving and praise not just for one day a week, fpor eternity every day outside of time
Thanks for your posts
 
Amen, my brethren and friend!
What a wonderful verse to share from Psalm.

I'm rejoicing exceedingly in your response!
I pray that our heavenly Father keeps you continuously and may you receive abundant love and grace from above:o

You too, Brother and all that believe God I know carries on the work to God's good purpose for all of us that have stopped short of that verse, trying very hard to work out their own salvation in fear and trembling
[h=3]Philippians 2:12-13[/h]Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)


[SUP]12 [/SUP]Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. [SUP]13 [/SUP]For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.



Bottom line I see is to trust God alone through Son Christ Scripture is clear on this amazing done work of Christ for us, since no other flesh than Christ's can ever be perfect ever.
 
Hi again buddy,

We don't have a scripture that says Friday sundown to Saturday sundown is the seventh-day sabbath.
That's likely due to the fact the days weren't called Friday and Saturday then.

How the Hebrews used to count the week is:
6 days to sabbath(Sunday), 5 days to Sabbath(Monday), 4 Days to Sabbath ( Tuesday)..... and so on.

I can’t find the the scientific document I once had that proved there’s been no recorded change in the seven day weekly cycle since recorded time.

However one huge sign is that in most languages in the world the seventh-day which we here in America call Saturday is called sabbath. Here are a few examples:

Hebrew: Shabbath / Greek: Sabbaton / Latin: Sabbatum / Arabic: Assabit / Persian: Shambin / Russian: Subbota / Hindustani: Shamba / French: Samedi / Italian: Sabbato / Spanish: Sabado.
You can check it out for yourself.
Also Jews have been spread out all over the four corners and they still recognize what we call Saturday as the Sabbath.

Thanks I guess I am covered and smothered since I see every day to me as Sabbath rest, Thank you Jesus
 
You are right we need God every day of the week, but God asked us not to work and to rest with Him on the 7th day of the week. A Christian isn't one who dresses up and goes to church one day a week a Christian is to be like Christ and commune with Him every day of the week it is a life style to abide in Jesus. We are to love God and our fellow man every day of the week.

And is amazing when one sees past their own working to not be working as they are working still. Only god can explain this to you personally, I just know what I know, and words just can't explain it
 
Are the other 9 commandments required for Christians today? Try breaking one of some of them and see if you might not be looking out of the bars of a jail cell.

Try this: hold ten apples in water in the bathtub under the water all at the same time with both of your hands, can you do this?
Seeing this example as if those apples were Ten Laws, good luck in being perfect and is why Christ came to fulfill the law for us and reborn us in the Spirit of God by the resurrection, by God the Father
Before the cross, under the Law that no flesh can perform perfectly
After the cross, under a new Priesthood and new laws, and that is to love all
Luke 6:32 For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.

Whether I do one day a week or everyday, I give God thanks
 
When I obeyed the Gospel. I was living across from a 7 Day church. I was cutting the grass on a saturday, they were worshiping. It drove me crazy. One day I was outside and this guy was cutting his grass on a sunday. I went over introduced myself to him. We started talking and before long we were into a bible study. He was one of the elders. He sent this young couple to my house and we looked at the scriptures. I had an ace in the hole. I was a new convert and was studying with an Elder in the Lords church. We didn't have cell then. So my phone bill was pretty high. I DON'T REMEMBER HOW IT ENDED. The were a nice couple. Our Dr. in town was a 7 day. A very good man. Also at the Hosptial was a Physical Theripest was a 7 day. I believe they have a college in NE for doctors. Tkyles1009 can tell us.

I just want to say that all 7Day I have know are REALLY moral, good people. I don not agree with there religion. When my mother was in the hosptial she was a Baptist, I was trying to convert her and this PT would come in when he would see me and we would talk just like we are doing here. I got the impression that he felt my mother was alright in her religion. So I confronted him on it. How a baptist could believe one thing and Luther another. I don't remember him satisfiing me. He moved and that ended that.

They believe what they believe. Its up to us to refute what they believe. No different them converting you or me. We all believe we are right. Catholich.......Baptist........JW's......7Day............you name it.

May God word be true and study till we are BLUE!

And each one preaches Christ, so how can one be wrong and the other right and fight?
I say it again there is only one true Tabernacle, it is right now in Heaven Hebrews 8 says so God pitched this not man

We are to be:
1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Citizens of Heaven not earth, and God is to be our teacher not man:
[h=3]Hebrews 8:1-11[/h]Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

8 Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens; [SUP]2 [/SUP]a minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man. [SUP]3 [/SUP]For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer. [SUP]4 [/SUP]For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law: [SUP]5 [/SUP]who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount. [SUP]6 [/SUP]But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
[SUP]7 [/SUP]For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. [SUP]8 [/SUP]For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: [SUP]9 [/SUP]not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. [SUP]10 [/SUP]For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: [SUP]11 [/SUP]and they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
 
When I obeyed the Gospel. I was living across from a 7 Day church. I was cutting the grass on a saturday, they were worshiping. It drove me crazy. One day I was outside and this guy was cutting his grass on a sunday. I went over introduced myself to him. We started talking and before long we were into a bible study. He was one of the elders. He sent this young couple to my house and we looked at the scriptures. I had an ace in the hole. I was a new convert and was studying with an Elder in the Lords church. We didn't have cell then. So my phone bill was pretty high. I DON'T REMEMBER HOW IT ENDED. The were a nice couple. Our Dr. in town was a 7 day. A very good man. Also at the Hosptial was a Physical Theripest was a 7 day. I believe they have a college in NE for doctors. Tkyles1009 can tell us.

I just want to say that all 7Day I have know are REALLY moral, good people. I don not agree with there religion. When my mother was in the hosptial she was a Baptist, I was trying to convert her and this PT would come in when he would see me and we would talk just like we are doing here. I got the impression that he felt my mother was alright in her religion. So I confronted him on it. How a baptist could believe one thing and Luther another. I don't remember him satisfiing me. He moved and that ended that.

They believe what they believe. Its up to us to refute what they believe. No different them converting you or me. We all believe we are right. Catholich.......Baptist........JW's......7Day............you name it.

May God word be true and study till we are BLUE!

And each one preaches Christ, so how can one be wrong and the other right and fight?
I say it again there is only one true Tabernacle, it is right now in Heaven Hebrews 8 says so God pitched this not man

We are to be:
1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Citizens of Heaven not earth, and God is to be our teacher not man:
Hebrews 8:1-11

Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

8 Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens; [SUP]2 [/SUP]a minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man. [SUP]3 [/SUP]For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer. [SUP]4 [/SUP]For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law: [SUP]5 [/SUP]who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount. [SUP]6 [/SUP]But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
[SUP]7 [/SUP]For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. [SUP]8 [/SUP]For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: [SUP]9 [/SUP]not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. [SUP]10 [/SUP]For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: [SUP]11 [/SUP]and they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.