Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
N

NoNameMcgee

That does not say or indicate she repented.
There are people who don't believe it was Mary

You obviously do as you say the woman repented.

But as I said there is nothing in those verses to say she repented.

the only thing it proves she repented of

is unbelief

she knew Jesus as Lord

and He did not condemn her for her sin

but He instructed His own to stop that which He did not want in her life

the same way now

if we sin

what does He do?

works in us to correct us and make us fruitful members of the body to be used for good things

not wanting accusers to make a public example of us in their own hypcritical efforts

but wanting us to live in a way where we are good healthy examples of the body we are now part of

and blessed at every point

to try and say Jesus was preaching sinless perfection or salvation by your walk is a ridiculous stretch

E

eternally-gratefull

I know what repentance means

Go look at why Jesus could not condemn her.
Under the Mosaic Law he could not condemn her, her penalty was stoning.
Under Roman Civil Law he could not condemn her, had he done so then he would have been tried, found guilty and probably crucified.

The whole concourse was a plan to trap Jesus, but he turned it around.

Not one person could condemn her, because not one was without sin.
including the people who are trying to condemn you for your sins.

Ironic how thay can be like the accusers, yet not see it in themselves.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
The only standards you indicated was this statement -

Was Jesus telling her to sin no more or just stop committing adultery?

JPT
I would say Jesus was addressing the issue at hand and at the same time addressing her lifestyle over all.

E

eternally-gratefull

The only standards you indicated was this statement -

Was Jesus telling her to sin no more or just stop committing adultery?

JPT
He told her to go and do not commit that sin no more, That sin was in context, to try to bring the whole law or every sin into that conversation is taking the conversation out of context.

Oct 31, 2015
That does not say or indicate she repented.
There are people who don't believe it was Mary

You obviously do as you say the woman repented.

But as I said there is nothing in those verses to say she repented.

Sure there is.

11 She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.” John 8:11

JPT

E

eternally-gratefull

Why couldn't Jesus condemn her to stoning, He would have been justified according to the very law He gave the children of Israel?
why would he commit her to stoning? He came not to judge but to save.

Do you even know his reason for comming?

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Why couldn't Jesus condemn her to stoning, He would have been justified according to the very law He gave the children of Israel?
Ok and what does that law say.

Does it not say that the man and the woman should both be presented and are there not meant to be witnesses who had seen the offence take place?

MarkWilliams

Jun 13, 2018
Ok and what does that law say.

Does it not say that the man and the woman should both be presented and are there not meant to be witnesses who had seen the offence take place?
Also, didn't Jesus come to fulfill the law and keep it in every way on the believers behalf. He knew that none of us could ever keep the whole law, so He done away with it and replaced it with the Gospel.

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
Believe means commit, trust and obey.

It may seem confusing if you don't understand what the biblical word believe means.

Believing the Gospel means obeying the Gospel command to repent.

Repent means to turn to God.

If you are called to turn to God, then by default you are called to turn away from Satan as your lord.

The way we obey this command is to confess Jesus as Lord.

• that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus

8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:8-10

• with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

This is the Gospel that Jesus taught to Paul, and that Paul preached.

in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins

15 So I said, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ And He said, ‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. 16 But rise and stand on your feet; for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to make you a minister and a witness both of the things which you have seen and of the things which I will yet reveal to you. 17 I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, 18 to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.’

19 “Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, 20 but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance. Acts 26:15-20

• that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance.

Those who believe the Gospel, obey the Gospel by confessing Jesus as Lord, in which we submit to Him to obey Him and the laws of His kingdom.

Loving God and loving people.

If you hate a person then you are disobeying His commandment to love.

Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. 1 John 3:15JPT
Quote, you say: "If you hate a person then you are disobeying His commandment to love."

I say: you do not have to like someone in order to love them. Your statement is myopic and focused on guilt. Your looking at the bible through the wrong end of a telescope, "turn it around" and you will see clearly.

My love say's - repent and believe the gospel and you will be saved.

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
How do you know you are saved?
Because the bible tells me so. And the first evidence of that truth is a changed life. One of the reason I support this belief that I am saved, is that I see what I call "small miracles" from God in my life throughout the day. But you have to look for them or else you will not see them.

Romans8:16
16"
The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children."

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Sure there is.

11 She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.” John 8:11

JPT
Matthew 7:21

I Never Knew You
(Luke 6:46; 13:26, 27)
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.

benhur

Feb 8, 2018
No, only truly BORN AGAIN CHRISTIANS who believe they were Baptized in to HIS Spiritual Body by the HOLY SPIRIT, and the Dead in the Messiah (both N.T. Saints and O.T. Saints) will be invited to go to the Wedding of the LAMB in Heaven. I already have my invitation, HOW ABOUT YOU ? ? ?

2 Peter 3:3-4 (HCSB)
3 First, be aware of this: Scoffers will come in the last days to scoff, living according to their own desires,
4 saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? Ever since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they have been since the beginning of creation.”
You might have your invitation, but will you be like 1 of the wise virgins who brought their lamps and plenty of oil so that when the bridegroom came they had plenty of oil to join the party.

Or will you be 1 of the foolish virgins that only brought their lamps but not enough oil, and so when the bridegroom comes, you will have to go out and buy more, and you miss the party procession. But later you knock on the door, and the bridegroom says to you,
I know you not?

Which one will you be?

N

NoNameMcgee

You might have your invitation, but will you be like 1 of the wise virgins who brought their lamps and plenty of oil so that when the bridegroom came they had plenty of oil to join the party.

Or will you be 1 of the foolish virgins that only brought their lamps but not enough oil, and so when the bridegroom comes, you will have to go out and buy more, and you miss the party procession. But later you knock on the door, and the bridegroom says to you,
I know you not?

Which one will you be?
lol

how about you explain what you think
this parable means ben

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
lol

how about you explain what you think
this parable means ben
Hi Mcgee, I like this parable, care to give it a go? :)

8) The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.’
The Parable of the Ten Virgins
Matthew25:1-13
1) “At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.
2) Five of them were foolish and five were wise.
3) The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them.
4) The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps.
5) The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep.
6) “At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here’s the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’
7) “Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps.
8) The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.’
9) “ ‘No,’ they replied, ‘there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.’
10) “But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut.
11)
“Later the others also came. ‘Lord, Lord,’ they said, ‘open the door for us!’
12) “But he replied, ‘Truly I tell you, I don’t know you.’
13) “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017

I know you not?

Which one will you be?
You make me laugh.

You are the first to get upset when you feel people question you as to whether you are a true believer or not, or if they disagree theologically with you.

You say along the lines "Just because we disagree that does not make me a non beliver, even believers disagree"

Yet you are one of the first to accuse others exactly what you get upset yourself about.

You have more or less accused VCO of not being a believer because he dares to disagree with your theological position, mainly that baptism saves, no baptism in water = no salvation.

The foolish virgins I believe were not saved on the first place.

All 10 had lamps.
Lamps bring light, Jesus said let your light shine before men.
So we have 10 virgns all with lamps.
They are the lamps.

Yet only 5 had oil, the other 5 did not.
The 5 who had oil are genuine belivers, who have the Holy Spirit in them.
The other 5 did not, therefore merely professing belivers. They are no light to the world, therefore they are off the world.

This parable had nothing to do with loseing salvation but is to do with those who are genuine and those who are not genuine belivers.

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
You make me laugh.

You are the first to get upset when you feel people question you as to whether you are a true believer or not, or if they disagree theologically with you.

You say along the lines "Just because we disagree that does not make me a non beliver, even believers disagree"

Yet you are one of the first to accuse others exactly what you get upset yourself about.

You have more or less accused VCO of not being a believer because he dares to disagree with your theological position, mainly that baptism saves, no baptism in water = no salvation.

The foolish virgins I believe were not saved on the first place.

All 10 had lamps.
Lamps bring light, Jesus said let your light shine before men.
So we have 10 virgns all with lamps.
They are the lamps.

Yet only 5 had oil, the other 5 did not.
The 5 who had oil are genuine belivers, who have the Holy Spirit in them.
The other 5 did not, therefore merely professing belivers. They are no light to the world, therefore they are off the world.

This parable had nothing to do with loseing salvation but is to do with those who are genuine and those who are not genuine belivers.
Amen BillG, you just answered the meaning of the Parable of the 10 Virgins, God bless!

benhur

Feb 8, 2018
my assurance comes from the promises of Jesus
So if you are saved by the assurances of the promises of Jesus, I agree with you. I too am saved by the assurances of the promises of Jesus.

So if we are both saved, what difference does it make if our belief systems are a little different?