Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
U

UnderGrace

No worries @Defenderofgrace anybody can read through this thread from start and find those people, there were severally who argued they were very sure that they were saved but then would deny it in other posts ...probably best not to name names since prople can do there own research if they have patience that is....it is a loooooooooooooong thread! (y)

DJ3

Jun 22, 2019
It’s about the object of our belief. We must believe/trust in Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation. Not believe 50% in Christ and 50% in works. 100% belief, trust, reliance in Christ for salvation.
You are avoiding the question. Regardless of the object, how much belief must one have in the "object" of our belief?

If you don't know, just say so but don't change the question.

Are you saying 100% as in perfect. This sounds like a works salvation demand.

U

UnderGrace

You are avoiding the question. Regardless of the object, how much belief must one have in the "object" of our belief?

Faith is not measured in weights and tonnage .... faith is simply taking your stand where God takes His stand.

DJ3

Jun 22, 2019
Faith is not measured in weights and tonnage .... faith is simply taking your stand where God takes His stand.
That sounds nice but rather vague. God made many stands, are we to get them all right?

Jul 17, 2019

Are you saying 100% as in perfect. This sounds like a works salvation demand.
for this question, 100% God

we don't have to lift a finger

U

UnderGrace

That sounds nice but rather vague. God made many stands, are we to get them all right?
Another way to put it is to we come into agreement with God.

The first one to get right is the plan of salvation and then the rest falls into place from there.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
So just how holy must you be? :unsure:

The NASB reads - Pursue peace with all men, and the sanctification without which no one will see the Lord. Those who have been justified by faith are sanctified/set apart/made holy before God positionally in Christ. 1 Corinthians 6:11 - Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

The NKJV puts it this way:

Ecclesiastes 7:20 (NKJV)
20 For there is not a just man on earth who does good And does not sin.

U

UnderGrace

So which one is it? Must we do something or not?
Yes we believe in Christ Jesus for His gift of salvation knowing that He bore all our sins on the cross and paid a debt we could never pay! :)

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
in this context, alone means "enough"

as in, Grace is enough, faith is enough, and Christ is enough for justification
Not quite, because HE said "Sufficient", which means NOTHING YOU CAN DO WILL ADD TO YOUR SALVATION. Your phrase leaves room that you can add to your Salvation:

2 Corinthians 12:9 (ESV)
9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.