Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 27, 2018
Agree and I didn’t say that di

Yep and I didn’t say that did I? And you should’ve known exactly who I was talking about and the book and chapter I was paraphrasing from.

It’s a bad analogy to someone who has a “churchianity” definition of regeneration. However to those who know the REAL definition of regeneration it makes perfect sense. And that would be the BIBLICAL definition.

BTW thanks for keeping this going. I’m working today and my job is fixing something when it breaks down so I would’ve been very board without you today.
When you’re not at work, please define regeneration and please tell me who the evil husband is that you used to be married to

Are you talking about your old man? How were you married to your old man? And if this is what you mean, you now have three KJV1611s

To discuss later if you choose. I don’t want to keep you from your job.

Nov 23, 2013
No one is saying we are under the Law. And who says anything about losing salvation? We died to the Law and are joined to Christ. And being in Christ, the righteous requirement of the Law is FULFILLED in us as we walk in the Spirit, not in the flesh.
Well I still hear your dead husband speaking thru you. So he ain’t dead yet.

Nov 23, 2013
When you’re not at work, please define regeneration and please tell me who the evil husband is that you used to be married to

Are you talking about your old man? How were you married to your old man? And if this is what you mean, you now have three KJV1611s

To discuss later if you choose. I don’t want to keep you from your job.
I’m at a bourbon and music festival where famous cooks are cooking on our appliances and I’m here to fix them if they break. So I’ve been sitting here all day as nothing is breaking.

You should’ve recocognized the terminology I was using. It’s Romans 7.

Dec 27, 2018
I don’t have a dead husbands. The Law is not the one that died, I have died to the Law. and I was never married to myself. That would be a very strange form of schizophrenia if I married myself, then died and then married the new me again

My old husband was the Law and I died to the Law and am now joined with Christ

Dec 27, 2018
I’m at a bourbon and music festival where famous cooks are cooking on our appliances and I’m here to fix them if they break. So I’ve been sitting here all day as nothing is breaking.

You don’t say? And who was the old husband in Romans 7?

Dec 27, 2018
I don’t have any dead husbands. I made the Law a widower, when I was joined with Christ

I died, not the Law. You need to read Romans 7 carefully when you get home. Or google it on your phone. Obviously you have internet right now

Dec 27, 2018

I did recognize it, but you have the whole thing backwards. The Law is the old husband and we are the ones who died (with Christ). Read it and see

Got to go now. Got things to do. Check with you later, tuda tuda, tudaloo

longtrekker

Sep 23, 2014

Bourbon..? Sampling any of the 'wares'...?

Nov 23, 2013
I did recognize it, but you have the whole thing backwards. The Law is the old husband and we are the ones who died (with Christ). Read it and see

Got to go now. Got things to do. Check with you later, tuda tuda, tudaloo
See ya! When you come back we need to discuss the law being your husband because the law IS NOT and WAS NOT our husband.

Nov 23, 2013
Me neither - other than maybe a bit of Jack Daniels once in a blue moon. Good that stuff is not breaking on u - makes for a great work day!
I like a little JD every once in a blue moon myself. But couldn’t do it now if I wanted to because the dude using our appliances is the top chef guy that wears the white glasses. I wouldn’t want to let him down.

I don’t watch tv so I have no clue who he is but he seems like a pretty nice guy. He’s got a filthy mouth though, even on stage in front of the audience.

Dec 27, 2018
See ya! When you come back we need to discuss the law being your husband because the law IS NOT and WAS NOT our husband.
Romans 7:1-4. Verse 4 says we died to the Law to belong to another. We know the other is Christ. You never answered who the first husband is. Hope to see an answer when I get back

Just came back for a sec...

U

UnderGrace

Whether or not you doubt CS Lewis' salvation does not change the fact that what he is saying is true.
He also wrote things that were not true..... and this is only one.

“There are three things that spread the Christ-life to us: baptism, belief, and that mysterious action which different Christians call by different names — Holy Communion, the Mass, the Lord’s Supper” (MC, pp.62,63).

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
@Macabeus
Why don’t you read the only 2 verses that mention the word regeneration and get your definition from the words of the Bible instead of making it be something that it isn’t.

You would not believe the theology that’s packed into those two verses.

(QUOTE)
REGENERATION

Special act of God in which the recipient is passive. God alone awakens the person spiritually through the power of His Holy Spirit. Both the OT and NT also speak of the renewing of the individual. In a technical sense the act of regeneration takes place at the moment of conversion as the individual is spiritually awakened.

The term “regeneration” is the Greek word palingenesia (used only in Matt. 19:28 of creation and Titus 3:5). The Titus text refers to the regeneration of the individual, “He saved us—not by works of righteousness that we had done, but according to His mercy, through the washing of regeneration and renewal by the Holy Spirit” (HCSB). The Bible expresses the concept in numerous places with other terms like born again, renewed, remade, and born of God. For instance, in John 3:3-8 Jesus tells Nicodemus that in order to enter the kingdom of God, he must be born again. This thought is echoed in 1 Pet. 1:23, “Since you have been born again—not of perishable seed but of imperishable—through the living and enduring word of God.” The Bible clearly teaches that man must undergo a spiritual re-creation in order to have a relationship with God or enter His kingdom.

Paul provides further explanation in Eph. 2:1: “You were dead in your trespasses and sins.” Clearly Paul does not mean physical death but instead is referring to man’s spiritual state. Sin has left man dead spiritually, unable to respond to God. However, regeneration reawakens or resurrects man’s spiritual capacity so that he can have relationship with God. Paul explained in Eph. 2:4-5, “Because of His great love that He had for us, [God] made us alive with the Messiah even though we were dead in trespasses” (HCSB). Regeneration gives man the ability to commune with God, thus making man “a new creation” (2 Cor. 5:17).

This same idea is expressed in the OT. For example, God told Israel in Ezek. 36:26, “I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh” (NASB). This need for a new heart was expressed by the psalmist: “God, create a clean heart for me and renew a steadfast spirit within me” (Ps. 51:10 HCSB). Jeremiah 31:31-34 also speaks of God establishing a new covenant where His law will be written on men’s hearts. These verses clearly speak of a change in man’s heart resulting in an improved response to God and His will, which is reflective of the NT concept of regeneration.

Several church traditions, like the Roman Catholic, have associated the regenerative act with the baptism. However, the Bible clearly teaches that baptism is a testimony that regeneration has taken place and not a means to attain it. The Bible is clear that regeneration is brought about by the Holy Spirit alone (Titus 3:5; 1 Cor. 2:6-16).

Regeneration is the catalyst that allows the Christian to interact with his creator. It is the beginning step of an eternal walk with God. Regeneration allows the individual to have a relationship with God and thus stands at the beginning of the Christian life.

Scott Drumm

Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary. (END QUOTE)

(QUOTE)
Regeneration
Only found in Mat 19:28 and Tit 3:5. This word literally means a "new birth." The Greek word so rendered (palingenesia) is used by classical writers with reference to the changes produced by the return of spring. In Mat 19:28 the word is equivalent to the "restitution of all things" (Acts 3:21). In Tit 3:5 it denotes that change of heart elsewhere spoken of as a passing from death to life (1Jn 3:14); becoming a new creature in Christ Jesus (2Co 5:17); being born again (John 3:5); a renewal of the mind (Rom 12:2); a resurrection from the dead (Eph 2:6); a being quickened (Eph 2:1, 5).

This change is ascribed to the Holy Spirit. It originates not with man but with God (John 1:12, 13; 1Jn 2:29; 1Jn 5:1, 4).

As to the nature of the change, it consists in the implanting of a new principle or disposition in the soul; the impartation of spiritual life to those who are by nature "dead in trespasses and sins."

The necessity of such a change is emphatically affirmed in Scripture (John 3:3; Rom 7:18; Rom 8:7-9; 1Co 2:14; Eph 2:1; Eph 4:21-24).

Illustrated Bible Dictionary: And Treasury of Biblical History, Biography, Geography, Doctrine, and Literature. (END QUOTE)

Caisdf

Aug 17, 2019
He also wrote things that were not true..... and this is only one.
I would disagree with you, but since we probably come from different doctrinal backgrounds I'm not going to worry over it. I am more interested in the effects a doctrine has upon a person than I am with the doctrine itself.

Nov 23, 2013
(QUOTE)
REGENERATION

Special act of God in which the recipient is passive. God alone awakens the person spiritually through the power of His Holy Spirit. Both the OT and NT also speak of the renewing of the individual. In a technical sense the act of regeneration takes place at the moment of conversion as the individual is spiritually awakened.

The term “regeneration” is the Greek word palingenesia (used only in Matt. 19:28 of creation and Titus 3:5). The Titus text refers to the regeneration of the individual, “He saved us—not by works of righteousness that we had done, but according to His mercy, through the washing of regeneration and renewal by the Holy Spirit” (HCSB). The Bible expresses the concept in numerous places with other terms like born again, renewed, remade, and born of God. For instance, in John 3:3-8 Jesus tells Nicodemus that in order to enter the kingdom of God, he must be born again. This thought is echoed in 1 Pet. 1:23, “Since you have been born again—not of perishable seed but of imperishable—through the living and enduring word of God.” The Bible clearly teaches that man must undergo a spiritual re-creation in order to have a relationship with God or enter His kingdom.

Paul provides further explanation in Eph. 2:1: “You were dead in your trespasses and sins.” Clearly Paul does not mean physical death but instead is referring to man’s spiritual state. Sin has left man dead spiritually, unable to respond to God. However, regeneration reawakens or resurrects man’s spiritual capacity so that he can have relationship with God. Paul explained in Eph. 2:4-5, “Because of His great love that He had for us, [God] made us alive with the Messiah even though we were dead in trespasses” (HCSB). Regeneration gives man the ability to commune with God, thus making man “a new creation” (2 Cor. 5:17).

This same idea is expressed in the OT. For example, God told Israel in Ezek. 36:26, “I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh” (NASB). This need for a new heart was expressed by the psalmist: “God, create a clean heart for me and renew a steadfast spirit within me” (Ps. 51:10 HCSB). Jeremiah 31:31-34 also speaks of God establishing a new covenant where His law will be written on men’s hearts. These verses clearly speak of a change in man’s heart resulting in an improved response to God and His will, which is reflective of the NT concept of regeneration.

Several church traditions, like the Roman Catholic, have associated the regenerative act with the baptism. However, the Bible clearly teaches that baptism is a testimony that regeneration has taken place and not a means to attain it. The Bible is clear that regeneration is brought about by the Holy Spirit alone (Titus 3:5; 1 Cor. 2:6-16).

Regeneration is the catalyst that allows the Christian to interact with his creator. It is the beginning step of an eternal walk with God. Regeneration allows the individual to have a relationship with God and thus stands at the beginning of the Christian life.

Scott Drumm

Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary. (END QUOTE)

(QUOTE)
Regeneration
Only found in Mat 19:28 and Tit 3:5. This word literally means a "new birth." The Greek word so rendered (palingenesia) is used by classical writers with reference to the changes produced by the return of spring. In Mat 19:28 the word is equivalent to the "restitution of all things" (Acts 3:21). In Tit 3:5 it denotes that change of heart elsewhere spoken of as a passing from death to life (1Jn 3:14); becoming a new creature in Christ Jesus (2Co 5:17); being born again (John 3:5); a renewal of the mind (Rom 12:2); a resurrection from the dead (Eph 2:6); a being quickened (Eph 2:1, 5).

This change is ascribed to the Holy Spirit. It originates not with man but with God (John 1:12, 13; 1Jn 2:29; 1Jn 5:1, 4).

As to the nature of the change, it consists in the implanting of a new principle or disposition in the soul; the impartation of spiritual life to those who are by nature "dead in trespasses and sins."

The necessity of such a change is emphatically affirmed in Scripture (John 3:3; Rom 7:18; Rom 8:7-9; 1Co 2:14; Eph 2:1; Eph 4:21-24).

Illustrated Bible Dictionary: And Treasury of Biblical History, Biography, Geography, Doctrine, and Literature. (END QUOTE)
That sounds like a commentary. Did you know that the Scribes and Pharisees were the commentators of their time? Do you how far off from the truth those commentators were?

Well the commentary you posted is written by a modern day Pharisee that is just as blind as the Pharisees were in their day.

I can prove this to you if you will just believe the Bible for what it says but you want. You have been convinced by the Pharisees that what they say is right that you will totally ignore what the Bible says about regeneration and believe them over the words of the Bible.