Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 12, 2013
Another possibility is that you don't understand anything you are reading in Scripture.
That is hilarious coming from you wben you just STATED WORKS ARE NECESSARY FOR SALVATION WHILE QUOTING A SCRIPTURE that states NOT IF WORKS LEST ANY MAN SHOULD BOAST........

Lay off the juice pal before you post!

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
. . .

A person's foundation is either based on Elohim/God or the Satan/Devil. Faith is demonstrated by Works.

You landed on a thread that is PLUM FULL OF OSAS GENUINE BELIEVERS, who are capable of defending their beliefs with the SCRIPTURE that Supports OSAS. So you may want to go peddle your works righteousness so-called beliefs ELSEWHERE. BUT before you go, we BELIEVE the FOLLOWING VERSES Literally, and PAY CLOSE attention to the FIRST Scripture on the LIST:

2 Timothy 1:9 (HCSB)
9 He has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began.

Titus 3:5-7 (HCSB)
5 He saved us not by works of righteousness that we had done, but according to His mercy, through the washing of regeneration and renewal by the Holy Spirit.
6 He poured out this ⌊Spirit⌋ on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior,
7 so that having been justified by His grace, we may become heirs with the hope of eternal life.

Romans 4:3-5 (NET)
3 For what does the scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness."
4 Now to the one who works, his pay is not credited due to grace but due to obligation.
5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous,
his faith is credited as righteousness.

Ephesians 4:30 (NKJV)
30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God,
by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
{🡸 There is a major OSAS VERSE!}

Ephesians 2:4-5 (HCSB)
4 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love that He had for us,
5 made us alive with the Messiah even though we were dead in trespasses. You are saved by grace!

Ephesians 2:8-9 (NJB)
8 Because it is by grace that you have been saved, through faith; not by anything of your own, but by a gift from God;
9 not by anything that you have done, so that nobody can claim the credit.

Romans 5:8-11 (HCSB)
8 But God proves His own love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us!
9 Much more then, since we have now been declared righteous by His blood, we will be saved through Him from wrath.
10 For if, while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, ⌊then how⌋ much more, having been reconciled, will we be saved by His life!
11 And not only that, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ. We have now received this reconciliation through Him.

1 Corinthians 15:10 (HCSB)
10 But by God’s grace I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not ineffective. However, I worked more than any of them, yet not I, but God’s grace that was with me.

1 Peter 1:3-5 (HCSB)
3 Praise the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. According to His great mercy, He has given us a new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead
4 and into an inheritance that is imperishable, uncorrupted, and unfading, kept in heaven for you.
5 You are being protected by God’s power through faith for a salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.

Romans 11:6 (NASB)
6 But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.

Philippians 1:6 (HCSB)
6 I am sure of this, that He who started a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

2 Corinthians 3:5 (HCSB)
5 ⌊It is⌋ not that we are competent in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves,
but our competence is from God.

Philippians 2:13 (HCSB)
13 For it is God who is working in you, ⌊enabling you⌋ both to desire and to work out His good purpose.

Ephesians 1:11-14 (HCSB)
11 We have also received an inheritance in Him, predestined according to the purpose of the One who works out everything in agreement with the decision of His will,
12 so that we who had already put our hope in the Messiah might bring praise to His glory.
13 When you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and when you believed in Him
[Long before you can do your first work, so Obedience is Part of your Agape Love, that you do after you are SAVED.],
you were also sealed with the promised Holy Spirit.

14 He is the down payment of our inheritance, for the redemption of the possession, to the praise of His glory.

2 Timothy 2:19 (ESV)
19 But God’s firm foundation stands, bearing this seal: The Lord knows those who are his,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of the Lord depart from iniquity.”

John 10:27-28 (HCSB)
27 My sheep hear My voice, I know them, and they follow Me.
28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish—ever! No one will snatch them out of My hand.

2 John 1:2 (HCSB)
2 because of the truth that remains in us and will be with us forever.

🕆

We teach that Obedience has NEVER been part of Salvation, HOWEVER,
Obedience is something we want to do as part of Our AGAPE LOVE,
Rom. 5:5.

John 14:15 (HCSB)
15 “If you love Me [Born Again], you will keep My commands.

1 John 5:3 (HCSB)
3 For this is what love for God is: to keep His commands. Now His commands are not a burden,

Only Obedience that is done out of Agape LOVE, is accepted by GOD. Those deeds have NOTHING to do with SALVATION or maintaining it. They have to be strictly because we LOVE HIM, OR they are nothing by wood, hay, or stubble at best, OR just Filthy Rags at worst.

14meatcc

Feb 17, 2020
San Diego
I love this: Only when one lies fallen in the dust in complete humility can one see clearly that the fallen state of mankind everywhere is not primarily in need of an example, but a savior.

14meatcc

Feb 17, 2020
San Diego
I support OSAS and the Calvanistic beliefs of the chosen because it is the base line of my testimony. I never asked for or made a conscious decision to have anything to do with God or Christ and I was drawn intensely to pursue the truth. Everything I possess of the Lord has been imputed in me without my desire for it but it's by far the best thing that will ever happen to me. I don't have faith, I KNOW , and there's nothing that can thwart that or take it away. If you want to have true saving faith it has to be from the spirit of truth concerning the truth, and the truth is that God had a will to redeem his people entirely and completely out of his grace and mercy. You have your freewill but you do not have the freewill to decide your eternal destination. How much sayso did you have on coming into this world? What's heaven like? How do you get there? What is the order of things there? You know nothing but you're going to decide you wanna go? It is God and God only who supplies his with all they need to get to heaven.
Smile, if yyou are a child of God and know it, because out of loving mercy he saved you from deserved judgement. So smile and love him in that faith and stop trying to please him for fear or reward. You can not do both.

OneOfHis

Mar 24, 2019
I support OSAS and the Calvanistic beliefs of the chosen because it is the base line of my testimony. I never asked for or made a conscious decision to have anything to do with God or Christ and I was drawn intensely to pursue the truth. Everything I possess of the Lord has been imputed in me without my desire for it but it's by far the best thing that will ever happen to me. I don't have faith, I KNOW , and there's nothing that can thwart that or take it away. If you want to have true saving faith it has to be from the spirit of truth concerning the truth, and the truth is that God had a will to redeem his people entirely and completely out of his grace and mercy. You have your freewill but you do not have the freewill to decide your eternal destination. How much sayso did you have on coming into this world? What's heaven like? How do you get there? What is the order of things there? You know nothing but you're going to decide you wanna go? It is God and God only who supplies his with all they need to get to heaven.
Smile, if yyou are a child of God and know it, because out of loving mercy he saved you from deserved judgement. So smile and love him in that faith and stop trying to please him for fear or reward. You can not do both.
I don't profess a demomination but I would agree we both only have God to thank for our salvation and He gets all the glory for anything good that comes from us as a product of His works in us

I haven't seen you before but welcome to cc😁

Always glad to meet someone else who is grateful to Christ opposed to desperately attempting to earn His favor through their own efforts...

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
WOW, a real Calvinist, I was beginning to think they were Extinct. WELCOME ABOARD.

Most of us here believe less than the 5 points of Calvinism, and most of us are Born Again, evangelical types of Christians. I only believe in 3 of the 5 points of Calvinism. As far as OSAS, most of us Believe in that too. If you read my above post #128,042, those verses summarize our belief in OSAS.

I am rapidly approaching the expression, "Older Than Dirt". I will be 71 in a week.

You said: Smile, if you are a child of God and know it.

I smile every time I think of HIM, since HE Saved ME!

Welcome again!

Tellion

Jan 8, 2003
Welcome. Just got back after a ten year hiatus, and this is the first forum I joined. Just recently even.

Tellion

Jan 8, 2003
I don't profess a demomination but I would agree we both only have God to thank for our salvation and He gets all the glory for anything good that comes from us as a product of His works in us

I haven't seen you before but welcome to cc😁

Always glad to meet someone else who is grateful to Christ opposed to desperately attempting to earn His favor through their own efforts...
Technically Calvinism isn't a denomination, and usually refers to the adherence to the Canons of Dort, which Calvin, while he may have agreed with, was dead long before they arrived. Calvinism as a belief is largely prevalent in Reformed and Presbyterian circles, and even exists in some degree within the Baptist ranks...

OneOfHis

Mar 24, 2019
Technically Calvinism isn't a denomination, and usually refers to the adherence to the Canons of Dort, which Calvin, while he may have agreed with, was dead long before they arrived. Calvinism as a belief is largely prevalent in Reformed and Presbyterian circles, and even exists in some degree within the Baptist ranks...

My bad, lol.

I have had people call me a calvinist and I resist it.

I'd rather discuss scripture and why we believe what we believe with no assumptions or lumping eachother into a box.

I've resisted the term "osas" before, even though I trust that God keeps His children by His power without fail.

I have heard people say "calvinists/osas believe...." then make a bunch of strawmen and try to argue against those instead of discuss the verses in question...🤦‍♂️

Tellion

Jan 8, 2003
My bad, lol.

I'd rather discuss scripture and why we believe what we believe with no assumptions or lumping eachother into a box.

I've resisted the term "osas" before, even though I trust that God keeps His children by His power without fail.

I have heard people say "calvinists/osas believe...." then make a bunch of strawmen and try to argue against those instead of discuss the verses in question...🤦‍♂️
I try not to use the word "Calvinist" either, but sometimes I do. I usually just say "I was raised reformed, and still hold to those beliefs." And to be honest I can't always answer every question that comes my way.

Dec 12, 2013
Explain the following....

MANY are called, but few are chosen.

MANY does not equal all
FEW of the MANY is even less

Explain why the number if FEW if MANY are called.....!

Dec 12, 2013
I cannot get beyond the following.....if the Calvinistic view is correct

MANY does not equal all

Tellion

Jan 8, 2003
I cannot get beyond the following.....if the Calvinistic view is correct

MANY does not equal all

If I'm going to respond, I want to do so with careful consideration. Also, I know the verse, but I can't remember where it is. I will look it up, but maybe you can speed up the process?

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
If I'm going to respond, I want to do so with careful consideration. Also, I know the verse, but I can't remember where it is. I will look it up, but maybe you can speed up the process?

You do not have a BIBLE LIBRARY SOFTWARE PROGRAM in your PC ? If Not I know where their is an outstanding FREEBY.

It is called WORDsearch Starter and is absolutely FREE. After you install Starter edition, you can go online and choose from over 200 Free Books, when you get to the Bibles, be sure to download the Holman's Christian Standard Bible, as it is ALSO FREE, even those it was first published in 2004, it is FREE of any change. IT IS MY FAVORITE BIBLE, and they are not afraid to CALL HIM YAHWEH.

Isaiah 43:10-11 (HCSB)
10 “You are My witnesses”— ⌊this is⌋ the LORD’s declaration— “and My servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe Me and understand that I am He. No god was formed before Me, and there will be none after Me.
11 I, I am Yahweh, and there is no other Savior but Me.

Here is their address:

https://www.wordsearchbible.com/apps/wordsearch-starter

In the Help menu, the second one down on the Dropdown, is Video Tutorial.... Best Way to learn the Program.

Tellion

Jan 8, 2003
You do not have a BIBLE LIBRARY SOFTWARE PROGRAM in your PC ? If Not I know where their is an outstanding FREEBY.

It is called WORDsearch Starter and is absolutely FREE. After you install Starter edition, you can go online and choose from over 200 Free Books, when you get to the Bibles, be sure to download the Holman's Christian Standard Bible, as it is ALSO FREE, even those it was first published in 2004, it is FREE of any change. IT IS MY FAVORITE BIBLE, and they are not afraid to CALL HIM YAHWEH.

Isaiah 43:10-11 (HCSB)
10 “You are My witnesses”— ⌊this is⌋ the LORD’s declaration— “and My servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe Me and understand that I am He. No god was formed before Me, and there will be none after Me.
11 I, I am Yahweh, and there is no other Savior but Me.

Here is their address:

https://www.wordsearchbible.com/apps/wordsearch-starter

In the Help menu, the second one down on the Dropdown, is Video Tutorial.... Best Way to learn the Program.
Oh, I appreciate that, will look it up.

I am trying to re-establish my biblical references, within my memory. I had a falling away fifteen years ago, and some of my biblical knowledge went with it. God has been merciful to me, and while I can't say the road's been easy, I certainly have far more than I deserve restored to me. I also have a slight obsession with the tactile sensation of the pages, and enjoy having the Word on my lap, when I can.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
Oh, I appreciate that, will look it up.

I am trying to re-establish my biblical references, within my memory. I had a falling away fifteen years ago, and some of my biblical knowledge went with it. God has been merciful to me, and while I can't say the road's been easy, I certainly have far more than I deserve restored to me. I also have a slight obsession with the tactile sensation of the pages, and enjoy having the Word on my lap, when I can.

I think the organization, is Baptist that put it out. But they have a Lot of Evangelical types of Pastors that put their books on it. Yes, most of those are for sale, BUT WATCH THEIR SALES, it is not unusual to find a half price sale. Some are cheap and some are expensive, they let the Author's set the price. All the Out of Copyright Books are FREE. Some of those are Precious JEWELS from years gone by, you will be amazed at what you can find in their FREE BOOKS section. Even Art Works, like GUSTAVE DORE drawings are available. The book is called DORE'S WOODCUTS, and yes it is free. FREE BIBLES that you can get are KJV, HCSB, CSB, ASV, etc. Other Versions, most are only $9.95.

E

eternally-gratefull

My bad, lol.

That’s because most people it is a calvin vs arminian debate, they hate calvinistic thinking so much they must attacking it at all cost. And since we hold to one of calvins many tenants (osas) we must be a follower of Calvin and must be attacked,

E

eternally-gratefull

I try not to use the word "Calvinist" either, but sometimes I do. I usually just say "I was raised reformed, and still hold to those beliefs." And to be honest I can't always answer every question that comes my way.
I stopped saying I was baptist back when I was a baptist, because people would continue to say oh well you believe this then ( which was not true) so I would just say I was christians

i now go to non denominational church