Not condemning yourself

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
853F7BCD-40A3-45DD-96C1-D4CD4405EF7B.jpeg
Saw this verse on the Bible app and decided to make this little verse image for myself.

I often need to remind myself this. I’m someone that condemns and criticizes themselves pretty much continually. Or at least had those thoughts pop up a bunch. And obviously that’s not what HE says, and what He says is the end of the matter.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I just wrote about condemnation in another thread less than 2 minutes ago before I noticed your thread.

bojack

Dec 16, 2019
View attachment 222162
Saw this verse on the Bible app and decided to make this little verse image for myself.

I often need to remind myself this. I’m someone that condemns and criticizes themselves pretty much continually. Or at least had those thoughts pop up a bunch. And obviously that’s not what HE says, and what He says is the end of the matter.
Awesome verse (y)

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
View attachment 222162

I like the visuals, and appreciate the reminder. I also pick on myself constantly. AMEN what He says goes

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Hello @ArtsieSteph -

All of us have “spiritual ears” in our head that allows us to hear the Voice of God however, demons, Satan, lying spirits and evil spirits can also talk to us in our head as well as just us talking to ourselves.

We need to recognize WHO is speaking so we can know if it is Truth or a Lie.

God the Father speaks and His words are complete love and acceptance. For example.....”My precious child, I love you. I am not angry with you. I desire your love and for you to know Me.”

God the Son speaks and His words are of a lover....”My beloved, draw close to Me. Rest in My love for you. I will silence the bear, lion and wolves in sheep’s clothing that come to devour you. They will be disappointed for I will not allow you to be their prey. I love you.”

God the Holy Spirit speaks and His words can often be in the form of questions that cause us to think and find answers which teach us great truths to live by. Such as, we might ask “Lord, does your love ever end?” The Holy Spirit replies with, “Does the number-line have an end?”

Satan, demons, lying spirits, evil spirits talk to us with condemning thoughts.... they tell us bad things about our flesh and try to tell us we’re not saved and are going to hell and will never be good enough and God doesn’t love us and we’ve committed the unpardonable sin and we are hopeless - LIES! LIES! LIES!

Evil wants us to think, say and do things that will hurt ourselves and/or others and God.

Our own thoughts are generally just us trying to make a decision- what to wear, buy, etc., or thinking about an old memory...etc.

Know who’s talking to you and respond the right way! Not all your thoughts are you!

Jun 11, 2020
View attachment 222162

You address an important concept in scripture, AND you show a tender conscience.

In Numbers 24 we have an interesting exchange. Balaam is sent with the promise of wealth by a Moabite king to curse Israel. Now let us not be fooled. The Bible shows Israel as idol-worshipers in Egypt (Josh.24:14). And the Bible shows us that Israel carried their idols, and even the tabernacle of their idols for the 40 years in the wilderness (Act.7:39-43). Of 600,000 fighting men of Israel that crossed the Red Sea, only TWO made it into the Good Land. There is no doubt that if anybody needed cursing, it was Israel. But what do we read of God's perspective in Numbers 24:5. It is; "How goodly are thy tents, O Jacob, and thy tabernacles, O Israel!" Why this seeming contradiction?

The fact of the matter is that a man who has been chosen by God has TWO standings before God. He has a POSITION before God, and he has the results of his DISPOSITION which he must answer for. For God to have anything to do with a man, this man needs to be holy - for he deals with an holy God. Man is UNABLE to reach this standard, and so God must construct this holiness for that man and IMPUTE it to him. So Israel are given the five major offerings and the day of atonement. These offerings were holy and their achievements are IMPUTED to Israel. Aaron must slay an animal, wash his body and wear special clothes that cover his flesh. With this HOLINESS, Aaron may enter the Holy of Holies, and walk out not having been slaughtered by a holy God. His sacrifice, his washings and his clothings gave him a POSITION before God that was up to God's standard.

But when Aaron left the Tabernacle, what was waiting for him? His daily life under the Law of Moses. Aaron could walk out of the Tabernacle in full favor with God and grab another man's wife and commit adultery. What would his fate be? DEATH of course. If Aaron was DISPOSED toward adultery, he would be judged and slain. His IMPUTED rightness for audience with God would not help him. But God is the JUDGE - not Balaam. So when Balaam rises up to be judge of Israel, no matter how right he is, it is God's view that counts and not Balaam's. And if God has IMPUTED righteousness to Israel through the sacrifices, who is Balaam to lower their value? So also the Christian.

The rebirth is only in the human spirit (Jn.3:6). But we still live in the flesh. They are mortal enemies and Galatians 5:17 says they war against each other and mostly the flesh wins. But the Christian's standing, his POSITION is IN CHRIST. So God looks at him with all the favor he accords to Jesus His sinless Son. It says that Satan accuses us "day and night" before God (Rev.12:10). That is what you are feeling - Satan's accusation. And mostly Satan, like Balaam is right. But God is the Judge. And so what is His answer to Satan? "My servant is perfect. How goodly is ArtsieSteph's dwelling place!" Why? Because your POSITION is IN CHRIST. Satan must leave in silence, for the Judge has spoken. Case closed! But the matter is not over.

God has a conference in heaven, and says; "See my servant and my son. He is too slack in this and that matter. And he is my son. I must ensure that he stops this nonsense. I will chastise him (Heb.12:5-11). I will change his DISPOSITION. I will make his road bitter to make him have 'the peaceable fruits of righteousness'". Satan may not curse you, but God will judge your DISPOSITION for His name's sake. And that is why you need a tender conscience. The way out of God's judgement and chastisement is to judge yourself. In 1st Corinthians 11, some saints were slack when they came to take the Lord's Table. They were loose when dealing with Christ's magnificent sacrifice. So God cast sickness on them. And then, those that had no conscience just carried on demeaning God's Son's death - a terrible mistake! God gave them (Christians) and early death (1st Cor.11:30).

What is the escape for you if you want it? JUDGE YOURSELF (v.28). So you have posted well. You have addressed BOTH the wonderful protection we have from the enemy. He cannot curse you because of your postion in Christ. But God can judge and chastise you IF YOU DON'T DO IT YOURSELF. Keep your tender conscience, BUT .. never forget your position.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Righteousness... because we believe in Christ.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
View attachment 222162

You are not alone in this you know how often I attack myself and the low view of myself I have and many others also struggle in this area. The enemy would love nothing more than for us to see ourselves as this it is a constant battle and not one easily overcome especially for people who already struggled with depression anxiety or have been told all their lives they are not what God says but I am starting to be able to fight it

Everytime these thougts come I think of fathers warm embrace and his laveshing love I wish I could memorize scripture but with my meomory issues that doesn't seem to be possible but I want to be able to do what Jesus did when he was in the desert being tempted by satan quoting scripture that disproves what he says

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
When we take our sins to Christ for forgiveness and repent of sinning, Christ is faithful and we are wiped clean from them. They are gone. Our only thought then is to live in Christ and not sin. If we are still deep in condemnation of ourself with guilt over sins that are no more in us, we are not accepting what the lord has done for us.

Jun 11, 2020
[QUOTE="ArtsieSteph, post: 4400706, member: 192924" View attachment 222162

I often need to remind myself this. I’m someone that condemns and criticizes themselves pretty much continually. Or at least had those thoughts pop up a bunch. And obviously that’s not what HE says, and what He says is the end of the matter.[/QUOTE]

Besides my posting # 6, may I ask if you have been Baptized yet? One of the advantages of Baptism is a clearing of your conscience. The analogy of 1st Peter 3:20-21 is that just like all evidence of the evil that had happened on the surface of the earth prior to the flood was wiped from memory, so is your conscience wiped.

20 "Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ"

Yahshua

Sep 22, 2013
View attachment 222162

Truth. By the same token - for balance - I'd like to add that reproving & rebuking isn't the same as condemnation. The scripture teaches brothers and sisters are to reprove and rebuke one another for offenses and sins committed. It also says the Holy Spirit reproves us. This is all for the perfecting/maturing of the saints.

When we say to brethren or hear that we've done something wrong for our correction, that's righteous...but when we start to hear that we are "damned" or "lost" for our error or that we can never be better or do better, that's unrighteous.

Feb 28, 2016
PSALM 139:23.
Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

1PETER 4:12.
Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you,
as though some strange thing happened unto you:
But rejoice, inasmuch as you are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when
His glory shall be revealed, you may be glad also with exceeding joy.

PHI. 4:8.
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest,
whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely,
whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise,
think on these things.

Natasha91

Apr 27, 2019
View attachment 222162

Beautiful verse, thank you for sharing! :) Goes along perfectly with what I was reading in my devotion time this morning:

"So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed." -John 8:36

The most wonderful news is that in Christ we are no longer bound by the chains of our sins or condemned to follow our past- we have become completely new creations! If He says we are forgiven and justified, we are. No matter our emotions or what others say. For He does not lie.

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017
View attachment 222162

You are misunderstanding this verse. You need to place it within its surrounding context of verses, as below:

18 My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth. 19 And by this we [d]know that we are of the truth, and shall [e]assure our hearts before Him. 20 For if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and knows all things. 21 Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. 22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. 23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave [f]us commandment.

See the verse in verse 21.

This passage means that we are to live with a clear conscience. If you are living in sin, your conscience will testify of this, and God is greater than our conscience. If you repent of your sin, the blood of Jesus washes you clean and you can have a clean conscience towards God. If you do not repent of your sin, your conscience (heart) condemns you, and you will most certainly fall under the judgement of God because He knows even more than what you know.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I am puzzled what you would be condemning yourself for Artsie. What is stopping you from accepting Gods forgiveness that Jesus obtained for us on the cross. It was Jesus who was comdemned to die, but he rose again do you not believe this?

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
When we take our sins to Christ for forgiveness and repent of sinning, Christ is faithful and we are wiped clean from them. They are gone. Our only thought then is to live in Christ and not sin. If we are still deep in condemnation of ourself with guilt over sins that are no more in us, we are not accepting what the lord has done for us.
Hi brother.

This may seem like a weird question to ask but I am going to ask it.

I have bolded the above from your quote.

You say we take our sins to Christ for forgiveness and repent of sinning.
Are there any Bible verses that you believe that we as belivers have to repent of in order to forgiven?

My thinking is that as believers our sins are forgiven as a result of repenting of unbelief in Jesus. I believe past present and future are forgiven as they were nailed on the cross.

Any verses that use the word repent of sinning (with actual meaning of repent) as believers I would be interested to know and look into.

To me to repent and confess sins are totally different.