Not Eating Pork (Biblical Reason?)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Nowhere in Acts ten does GOD command Peter to eat the unclean. Nowhere!
yes, Peter was wrong

In it were all kinds of animals and reptiles and birds of the air. And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” But Peter said, “By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean.” And the voice came to him again a second time, “What God has made clean, do not call common.
(Acts 10:12-15)

why did Peter think he was being told to eat something '
common or unclean' ?
is any kind of reptile '
clean' in the law of Moses? there were "all kinds" of them here.

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
yes, Peter was wrong

In it were all kinds of animals and reptiles and birds of the air. And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” But Peter said, “By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean.” And the voice came to him again a second time, “What God has made clean, do not call common.
(Acts 10:12-15)

why did Peter think he was being told to eat something 'common or unclean' ?
is any kind of reptile '
clean' in the law of Moses? there were "all kinds" of them here.
And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
(Act 10:15 KJV)
No mention of the unclean.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
No mention of the unclean.

you don't have to argue about words.

which reptile is kosher?

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA

which reptile is kosher?
No mention of the unclean. Stop adding words into GOD's mouth.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
No mention of the unclean. Stop adding words into GOD's mouth.

which reptile is kosher?

In it were all kinds of animals and reptiles and birds of the air.
(Acts 10:12)

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA

which reptile is kosher?

In it were all kinds of animals and reptiles and birds of the air.
(Acts 10:12)
I am not.
No mention of the unclean. And no mention of eating of reptiles or anything specific that was revealed.

Incidentally whatever translation you are using is being way to specific with the translation of herpeton to reptiles. And by the way anything that touched a thing that was unclean was unclean also until it was cleansed.
Please take the time to look at the Septuagint (LXX) related words. Got to go to work. Have a blessed day in the the LORD in all HIS way; Jesus Christ.

ἑρπετόν
herpeton
her-pet-on'
Neuter of a derivative of ἕρπω herpō (to creep); a reptile, that is, (by Hebraism (compare [H7431]) a small animal: - creeping thing, serpent.

LXX related word(s)
H2416 chayyah
H3733 kar
H7429 ramas
H8318 sherets

No mention

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
nowhere in the N.T is there a command for Christ followers to keep the Sabbath, but you do not care about that.

selective Scripture syndrome.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
(Act 10:9) On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour. Act 10:10) And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,(Act 10:11) And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth. Act 10:12) Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.(Act 10:13) And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

God tells Peter to kill and eat all manner of things.

(Act 10:14) But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.

Peter wasn't sure that he should eat.

(Act 10:15) And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
(Act 10:16) This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven. (Scriptures from KJV.)

Peter is told effectively that God has made all things clean. "Peter naturally referred to the well known and admitted written Law. One design of the vision was to show him that that Law was now to pass away." (Barnes)

Peter was being shown that the old law was ended and now there was no division between Jew and Gentile.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I am not.
No mention of the unclean. And no mention of eating of reptiles or anything specific that was revealed.

Incidentally whatever translation you are using is being way to specific with the translation of herpeton to reptiles. And by the way anything that touched a thing that was unclean was unclean also until it was cleansed.
Please take the time to look at the Septuagint (LXX) related words. Got to go to work. Have a blessed day in the the LORD in all HIS way; Jesus Christ.

ἑρπετόν
herpeton
her-pet-on'
Neuter of a derivative of ἕρπω herpō (to creep); a reptile, that is, (by Hebraism (compare [H7431]) a small animal: - creeping thing, serpent.

LXX related word(s)
H2416 chayyah
H3733 kar
H7429 ramas
H8318 sherets

No mention
no need to argue over words.

which reptile is kosher?
why does Peter say 'unclean'?

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
I can't believe some of these posts....no one is suppose to eat flesh from a sick animal. Just as eating a spoiled tomato...will kill you.
It may not kill you but depending on how rotted the tomato is, you can certainly be at a point where you'll wish you could die.

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
nowhere in the N.T is there a command for Christ followers to keep the Sabbath, but you do not care about that.

selective Scripture syndrome.
Nowhere in scripture did Jesus command we ignore the Sabbath. Jesus' Apostles kept the Sabbath after he left the earth.

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
(Act 10:9) On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour. Act 10:10) And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,(Act 10:11) And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth. Act 10:12) Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.(Act 10:13) And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

God tells Peter to kill and eat all manner of things.

(Act 10:14) But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.

Peter wasn't sure that he should eat.

(Act 10:15) And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
(Act 10:16) This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven. (Scriptures from KJV.)

Peter is told effectively that God has made all things clean. "Peter naturally referred to the well known and admitted written Law. One design of the vision was to show him that that Law was now to pass away." (Barnes)

Peter was being shown that the old law was ended and now there was no division between Jew and Gentile.
Peter's Vision
Acts 10:13Then a voice spoke to him: “Get up, Peter, kill and eat!” 14“No, Lord!” Peter answered. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.” 15The voice spoke to him a second time: “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”…

J

J70x7

Peter's Vision
Acts 10:13Then a voice spoke to him: “Get up, Peter, kill and eat!” 14“No, Lord!” Peter answered. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.” 15The voice spoke to him a second time: “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”…
Leviticus 20:25
Therefore do you also separate the clean beast from the unclean, and the clean fowl from the unclean: defile not your souls with beasts, or birds, or any things that move on the earth, and which I have shewn you to be unclean.

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
Leviticus 20:25
Therefore do you also separate the clean beast from the unclean, and the clean fowl from the unclean: defile not your souls with beasts, or birds, or any things that move on the earth, and which I have shewn you to be unclean.
The scripture under discussion is found in the new testament book of Acts.

Feb 28, 2016
for hub and myself, it was a decision based upon respect for our Saviour because of how the pagans desecrated
His Holiness by offering and slaying 'swine' upon His Holy alter - OT... just a personal choice that we both
whole-heartedly agreed upon many, many, years ago because of our Love for Him...

just as an aside, 'swine' was one of our most favorite/favored foods...

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
I

I appreciate and agree with the information of how unhealthy certain foods are. However, I must add that diseases and parasites have also been found in 'clean' animals as well. It is good to encourage ourselves and others to eat as clean and healthy as we can. However, we must not tell anyone that they must abstain from certain foods for religious reasons. For God Himself prophesied in Genesis 9:3 that there would come a time (which is now) that He would allow us to eat anything that moves along the ground- just as He allowed us to eat the green herb.

Now just because it's now religiously allowed does not mean we do not have to consider other things such as health. But Jesus said whatever goes into a man does not make him unclean, but what comes out can make him unclean- such as lies and fowl language. In other words, it is not physical things but spiritual things that make a person unclean. Food for the stomach, and the stomach for food, but both of these physical things will eventually be destroyed. But spiritual things are taken into the next life.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
ἑρπετόν
herpeton
her-pet-on'
herpetology is the study of reptiles.
there is a reason that the root word is erpeton.

which snake is clean under Moses? none. which creeping thing? 4 specific types of grasshopper / locust.

arguing about words is useless; Christ made us free

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Mark 2:27) And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Good Article I found which may provide some understanding:

EXCERPT

Some groups today, such as the Seventh-day Adventists, teach that keeping the seventh-day Sabbath is a perpetual moral law meant for all people, and that not keeping it is a sign of apostasy and disloyalty to God. They base their belief on Genesis 2:1–3, which tells of God resting after His creative work and then sanctifying the Sabbath day, and on the fourth commandment. They also argue that the New Testament teaches the continuity of seventh-day Sabbath observance by Christ’s followers, even after Christ’s death. These beliefs, however, are misguided. There is no universal moral obligation given in Genesis 2 to keep the Sabbath. Christ’s finished work on the cross, moreover, abrogated the Mosaic law, and thus the fourth commandment no longer applies to Christians. Paul made this clear in his epistles, primarily in Romans, Galatians, and Colossians. Apostolic practice in Acts also confirms it. To be under the Jewish law, furthermore, brings its curse, for one cannot choose just a part of the law — he or she must obey every precept of it (Gal. 3:10). The Jews kept the Sabbath, but after Christ’s resurrection no biblical data suggests that Christians kept the Sabbath. They instead kept the Lord’s Day, which historically has been the first day of the week (Sunday). Every day is for worship, not just the Sabbath. Sabbath keeping may have some good purposes, but it is not an obligation for believers today, nor is it a sign of apostasy or disloyalty to God not to observe the Sabbath.

FOUND HERE

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0ge...sabbath//RK=2/RS=njwTMbeGXtRyaS3vLrWVYAXPF_U-

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
for hub and myself, it was a decision based upon respect for our Saviour because of how the pagans desecrated
His Holiness by offering and slaying 'swine' upon His Holy alter - OT... just a personal choice that we both
whole-heartedly agreed upon many, many, years ago because of our Love for Him...

just as an aside, 'swine' was one of our most favorite/favored foods...
I loved shrimp, but I gave that up because I was convinced God didn't approve. I did a taste test about 3 years ago, and found I no longer like them. I believe all things are lawful for Christians but not all things are helpful.

1Cor. 10:23
"All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not."

double-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
The Jews kept the Sabbath, but after Christ’s resurrection no biblical data suggests that Christians kept the Sabbath. They instead kept the Lord’s Day, which historically has been the first day of the week (Sunday).
Just where is your biblical evidence for this statement. Go ahead and list them so we can dismantle them one by one. Historically since about 300 A.D. and Monsieur Constantine. :)