Observing the sabbath???

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 4, 2022
Are we allowed to buy or sell on the sabbath?? Can we eat out on the sabbath??? Are we allowed to cook- prepare meals on sabbath??? Any help?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Hello and welcome to CC...
Who is "we" in your questions? Humans? Jews? Ancient Israelites under the Law? Christians? The answer to your question is dependent on your answer to mine. :)

If "we" is 'Christians', then we are not under the Law. I would encourage you to consider Colossians 2, particularly verses 13-17.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Are we allowed to buy or sell on the sabbath?? Can we eat out on the sabbath??? Are we allowed to cook- prepare meals on sabbath??? Any help?
just me- i take sunday as a rest day, normally go to church, then just kind of rest, as in no regular work, and super light house work.

while Christians are not under the Law and were never commanded to keep the Sabbath of Israel, if you want to observe it from twilight fri. till twilight sat, that is fine.

but, we should , as best we can. as God modeled for us. work six days and rest one.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Jesus is my Sabbath rest :)

Matthew 11:28-30
:)

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Because of the Holy Spirit, I am able to read the law, love it, and know which are yet to be adhered to. Jesus Yeshua teaches if a law does not contain mercy, it is not to be applied.
Having confessed this, I also confess I am free of the law as per structured doctrine written in stone, for the Blood of the Lamb of God is the only expiation of sin.

I have always learned from all of the Word for Jesus Yeshua is the Word and all is for our betterment. The wonderful aspect of this freedom is that when there is anything anywhere in the Word we do not learn or understand, we are free to hold in the heart in abeyance until it is understood completely. In this age, I am afraid I do not understand much, but if anyone knows anyone other than our Savior who understands all of the Word, please, reveal him to all.

Iconoclast

May 27, 2017
To respect the
Lord's day we should prepare in advance, like when they gathered Manna.
They gathered extra on the day before.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
To respect the
Lord's day we should prepare in advance, like when they gathered Manna.
They gathered extra on the day before.
While that aligns with the Old Covenant commandment, where is a comparable principle noted in the New Testament?

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
The sabbath is a covenanted day of obligation, i.e. Moses' followers are
under contract with God to observe it. Jesus' followers are contracted with
God by means of a different covenant wherein the sabbath is optional.
_

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
While that aligns with the Old Covenant commandment, where is a comparable principle noted in the New Testament?
The Sabbath is nowhere commanded in the New Testament :)

Jesus worked on the Sabbath, and said God did, too :D

John 5:16-17
So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jewish leaders began to persecute him.
In his defense Jesus said to them,
“My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.”

I know you know this ;)

oyster67

May 24, 2014
We are free of all legalistic restraints. Christ looks upon the inner man. As I posted in your other thread...

Matthew 22:40 Context

37Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38This is the first and great commandment. 39And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Colossians 2:20
“Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,”

Only those living outside of Christ will be judged according to the old law.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Lots of good stuff in Galatians:

Galatians 2:16
“Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.”

Galatians 3:19
“Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.”

---------------------------------------------

Galatians 3
24Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
26For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

BroTan

Sep 16, 2021

Let's take a look and see what the Lord requires on his Sabbath day. Let's go into Isaiah 58: 13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: 14 then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

No buy or sell on the Sabbath all preparation is to do before the Sabbath day, let's take a look and see in Exodus 16: 5 And it shall come to pass, that on the sixth day they shall prepare that which they bring in; and it shall be twice as much as they gather daily. 22 And it came to pass, that on the sixth day they gathered twice as much bread, two omers for one man: and all the rulers of the congregation came and told Moses. 23 And he said unto them, This is that which the LORD hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the LORD: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning. 24 And they laid it up till the morning, as Moses bade: and it did not stink, neither was there any worm therein. 25 And Moses said, Eat that to day; for to day is a sabbath unto the LORD: to day ye shall not find it in the field. 26 Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none.

Mofastus

May 23, 2019
Jesus is Lord of the sabbath and promises the rest His own will come to know in seeking Him.

Jan 14, 2021
"One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." - Romans 14:5 KJV

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
The Sabbath was a type, a shadow, of the rest we have in Jesus Christ.

Our rest is not a day of the week, our rest is an eternal rest.

The Sabbath is one law among a plethora of laws in the Old Testament.

The law merely grants the knowledge of sin, that's all the law can do.

The law was given to Israel to prepare the way for the messiah.

The law won't make you a good person. There is no such thing as a good person. Everyone should have an inner conflict between the flesh and the Spirit. More often than not, the flesh will win that conflict. Selfishness prevails all across the world and selfishness is the polar opposite of love.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
The Sabbath was given before sin entered.
The sabbath was a gift for us and made holy before anyone sinned.

When it states.... Gal 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator....
Which law is it referring to?

Added because of transgression = there must have been a law to define transgression, before this law was added.
Till the seed should come = if all laws were removed when Jesus came we would be a lawless world with no order. Sin still exists so a law must still be defining what is sin.
The shadow laws are pointing to Christ and the plan of salvation.
After Christ fulfilled the plan of salvation, the shadow laws are not needed anymore.

But the sabbath was set up before we needed a saviour so it wasn't a shadow law added after sin.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
The Sabbath was given before sin entered.
The sabbath was a gift for us and made holy before anyone sinned.

When it states.... Gal 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator....
Which law is it referring to?

Added because of transgression = there must have been a law to define transgression, before this law was added.
Till the seed should come = if all laws were removed when Jesus came we would be a lawless world with no order. Sin still exists so a law must still be defining what is sin.
The shadow laws are pointing to Christ and the plan of salvation.
After Christ fulfilled the plan of salvation, the shadow laws are not needed anymore.

But the sabbath was set up before we needed a saviour so it wasn't a shadow law added after sin.
Where's the commandment is Genesis 2 that man had to rest on the seventh day?