Observing the sabbath???

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Better to observe the One who Gives Sabbath. The Lord Jesus Christ.

Matthew 11:28-30
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Anyways, I think the original poster was just trolling you guys. And you fell for it like you always do. We're like wind-up toys. Automatic responses to certain stimuli. But you would disagree with that too, even though I could show evidence...:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
Jesus gives us rest! So true.

But is this an excuse to practice lawlessness or is it a reason to surrender my heart to Jesus.

I find that rest when i give all to Him.

Mat 13:44 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
So does that apply to the sermon on the mount. Matt 5,6,7...
Better to observe Jesus, don't worry about the principles and truth He teaches.

No..
By faith through the Holy Spirit we make Jesus part of us by consuming His words, by letting His words become part of you.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Keeping the law = rest.
It is a delight to follow Jesus, it is a delight to obey the Spirit, it is perfect peace to surrender all to Jesus.

Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Psa 119:47 And I will delight myself in thy commandments, which I have loved.
1Jn 2:2-6
2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. 3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. 4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. 6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Jesus gives us rest! So true.

But is this an excuse to practice lawlessness or is it a reason to surrender my heart to Jesus.

I find that rest when i give all to Him.

Mat 13:44 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.
There is only ONE way to not practice "lawlessness" and it isn't by practicing "law-keeping".

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Here it is a nutshell: Surrender your heart fully to Christ and He'll empower you to keep the law. This is the doctrine Judaizers preach. If you're trying to win God's favor by keeping the law you can go ahead and toss Christ out of the equation; you've already fallen from grace.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Here it is a nutshell: Surrender your heart fully to Christ and He'll empower you to keep the law. This is the doctrine Judaizers preach. If you're trying to win God's favor by keeping the law you can go ahead and toss Christ out of the equation; you've already fallen from grace.
Can i delight in the law because i am saved by grace? Can i keep the law because i love Jesus?
Not to gain favour or gain salvation but because i allow the Spirit to control me. Not that I'm perfect. I fail but praise God for Jesus who did not fail.
Is it wrong to follow Jesus? Jesus let the Spirit control His life and He kept the commandments.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016

Matthew 11:28-30
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Anyways, I think the original poster was just trolling you guys. And you fell for it like you always do. We're like wind-up toys. Automatic responses to certain stimuli. But you would disagree with that too, even though I could show evidence...:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
God uses the trollers for our good. Ir is always a good idea to look at the commands of our Lord, and what we do about them.

Christ observed the Sabbath, if we give our lives to him and follow his we will also observe the Sabbath. Christ said Matt. 5:17Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them The rest of that chapter tells how he fulfilled five laws so we can see examples. In each he told how the law was the same, but to be obeyed in spirit and truth not with symbols.

Ted01

May 14, 2022
Matt. 5:18 (BSB) For I tell you truly, until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

John 19:30 (BSB) When Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished.” And bowing His head, He yielded up His spirit.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
God uses the trollers for our good. Ir is always a good idea to look at the commands of our Lord, and what we do about them.

Christ observed the Sabbath, if we give our lives to him and follow his we will also observe the Sabbath. Christ said Matt. 5:17Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them The rest of that chapter tells how he fulfilled five laws so we can see examples. In each he told how the law was the same, but to be obeyed in spirit and truth not with symbols.

Christ was born under the Law. of course He kept the Sabbath. ( and, by the way, He did rise on the Sabbath).

gentiles were and are not under the Law and not required to keep the Sabbath.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Christ was born under the Law. of course He kept the Sabbath. ( and, by the way, He did rise on the Sabbath).

gentiles were and are not under the Law and not required to keep the Sabbath.
What does the day he rose have to do with us keeping the Sabbath? They are not related. If God wanted to redo his creation of the Sabbath, God would have told us plainly.

God is always the same, we can depend on that God will not change in any way. He gave laws in stone in the OT, Christ brought those same laws, Christ wrote them on our hearts to be obeyed in spirit and truth, not with symbols like cutting flesh or adjusting diet.

God told us that he does not speak to only one kind of human, God told us he speaks truth. If what God says is not truth, but a message different for different people, then God would not be dependable for speaking truth.

When God told us not to murder in the OT, it was the same not to murder under Christ, but Christ brought the spirit of the law in our hearts, also. Now, with Christ in our hearts, not to murder becomes not to harm others.

God is true, we can depend on God's every word. He is not wishy washy, when God says something at any time it is unchanging and true. God said he created and blessed the last, seventh day of the week. It is set. It is true.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
It's wrong to think Jesus died for your sins so He could help you keep the law.
Why?
Explain please.
So did Jesus pay for my sins so i could continue to sin.

I agree with people about Justification by faith.

But what about sanctification by faith.

Rom 12:2 KJV And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Mat 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Mat 19:16-26
16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? 17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. 18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, 19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? 21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. 22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions. 23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. 24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. 25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved? 26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
What does the day he rose have to do with us keeping the Sabbath? They are not related. If God wanted to redo his creation of the Sabbath, God would have told us plainly.

God is always the same, we can depend on that God will not change in any way. He gave laws in stone in the OT, Christ brought those same laws, Christ wrote them on our hearts to be obeyed in spirit and truth, not with symbols like cutting flesh or adjusting diet.

God told us that he does not speak to only one kind of human, God told us he speaks truth. If what God says is not truth, but a message different for different people, then God would not be dependable for speaking truth.

When God told us not to murder in the OT, it was the same not to murder under Christ, but Christ brought the spirit of the law in our hearts, also. Now, with Christ in our hearts, not to murder becomes not to harm others.

God is true, we can depend on God's every word. He is not wishy washy, when God says something at any time it is unchanging and true. God said he created and blessed the last, seventh day of the week. It is set. It is true.
for Israel only. not for gentles.
Paul made this clear. his letters are authortative Scripture.

so, out of respect , i will bow out of this debate.

God bless you and be well.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Okay ...
Because Jesus gives me rest, does that mean I'm free to sin or should i delight in obeying my master.
sin is knowing to do good and not doing so.

gentiles were never commanded to keep the Sabbath.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.