One Body, many parts

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 26, 2012
Really? You consider this "good stuff": I think we do a disservice to ourselves by trying to apply Scripture to our lives?

Did everyone get that? It is a mistake to apply Scripture to your life! So what should one do? Read Karl Marx or Adolf Hitler?
You are doing the exact intellectual dishonesty that I mentioned. You take one excerpt out of context and build an argument on it. Yes, people living your life according to Biblical truths is good. Taking scripture and thinking that situationally it apples to your life is often erroneous. Do you think we should go cities and kill every man, woman, child and animal? That’s what God said to do in the Bible. It’s scripture so clearly that’s what to do. Or how about this:

27Then he said to them, “This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘Each man strap a sword to his side. Go back and forth through the camp from one end to the other, each killing his brother and friend and neighbor.’ ” 28The Levites did as Moses commanded, and that day about three thousand of the people died. 29Then Moses said, “You have been set apart to the Lord today, for you were against your own sons and brothers, and he has blessed you this day.” Strap your sword, kill your sons, and brothers. That’s what God said to do, and you will be blessed.

Nov 26, 2012
Wow...........much wrong here, much. First being the statements you give were not only stated in Joshua............

Let us start with this one:

“I have plans to prosper you…” not said to us.

What Jesus said that was for ALL who believe on Him

John, Chapter 10:

9I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

10The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

I'd say Jesus has plans to "prosper us."

“Be fruitful and multiply…” not said to us.

Jeremiah, Chapter 29

6Take ye wives, and beget sons and daughters; and take wives for your sons, and give your daughters to husbands, that they may bear sons and daughters; that ye may be increased there, and not diminished.

Psalms 127:3 - Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.

Proverbs 22:6 - Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 17:6 - Children's children are the crown of old men; and the glory of children are their fathers.

Isaiah 54:13 - And all thy children shall be taught of the LORD; and great shall be the peace of thy children.

Matthew 18:10 - Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

Mark 10:14 - But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.

Ephesians 6:4 - And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

The WHOLE REASON God created male and female was for the purpose of procreation. Not just men and women, but ALL of His Creations! All that walk on the earth, fly in the sky, or swim in the seas!

Let us be honest and admit that to properly interpret Scripture, one MUST be a Sanctified Believer. That is one who is filled with the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit.

To suggest that God did not intend for US, the Church to have children is simply a childish view of Scripture..........

There is ONE GOSPEL............I will never subscribe to the two Gospel ideology
I don’t understand if you are arguing with me or trying to prove my point. At least half of the scripture you quoted is inapplicable. You illustrated what I was stating beautifully.

Just the fact that you think reading about what God told other couples, and nations applies to you personally is wrong. Does that mean since He gave the Law to the Israelites it’s inapplicable? Do we avoid shellfish or as He told Peter, “Kill and eat”? If I write a note to one son saying take the blue van tonight, it’s to him. My other son without a license can’t take the van. Just because it’s written it doesn’t make it applicable.

We have access to the Father, through the Son. We can pray and get instruction directly from the Lord. He can tell us what to do, situationally. We don’t need a high priest to enter the holy of holies. We don’t need prophets. The Bible is not a compilation of legal rulings that sets a precedent. If you can’t see the logic in what I’m saying please don’t respond by arguing. It is obvious.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Really? You consider this "good stuff": I think we do a disservice to ourselves by trying to apply Scripture to our lives?

Did everyone get that? It is a mistake to apply Scripture to your life! So what should one do? Read Karl Marx or Adolf Hitler?
I don't believe that you understand the gist of the OP. The problem is in the discernment of what certain scriptures mean and how to apply them effectively in your life. If you don't fully understand what it is that you are applying you will probably cause more harm than good, and thus a disservice. Of course, everyone should apply scripture in their life but perhaps those scriptures that the Holy Spirit puts on your heart.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I think we do a disservice to ourselves by trying to apply Scripture to our lives. The head doesn’t say to the toe, “Speak!” The head doesn’t say to the eyes, “Walk!” A body can only function as a body when the members are performing their intended functions. A liver is not the lungs, the heart is not the hand. Praying to Lord and asking His will for you, is much more beneficial than reading a passage of Scripture instructed to someone else and thinking it is generic for all. Not all should have children. Not all should be missionaries. The Church needs a Body not a clump of body parts. Get instruction from the Lord, not some confirmation bias that you applied from the Book of Joshua. We are not a nomadic tribe about to conquer a city of giants. Walking around your place of business several times then blowing a horn won’t help you get a promotion. It might get you fired. Stop throwing out inapplicable scripture verses to back up ridiculous claims. “I have plans to prosper you…” not said to us. “Be fruitful and multiply…” not said to us. Let’s be intellectually honest when quoting Scripture. It’s there to help not mislead. Too much of the latter causes a weak argument. Be blessed.
Amen it’s about the message we find in the gospel to Live by like a guiding light written on our heart of faith. So when we go through life each situation that comes up we know the right thing to do

Nebuchadnezzer

Feb 8, 2019
I think we do a disservice to ourselves by trying to apply Scripture to our lives. The head doesn’t say to the toe, “Speak!” The head doesn’t say to the eyes, “Walk!” A body can only function as a body when the members are performing their intended functions. A liver is not the lungs, the heart is not the hand. Praying to Lord and asking His will for you, is much more beneficial than reading a passage of Scripture instructed to someone else and thinking it is generic for all. Not all should have children. Not all should be missionaries. The Church needs a Body not a clump of body parts. Get instruction from the Lord, not some confirmation bias that you applied from the Book of Joshua. We are not a nomadic tribe about to conquer a city of giants. Walking around your place of business several times then blowing a horn won’t help you get a promotion. It might get you fired. Stop throwing out inapplicable scripture verses to back up ridiculous claims. “I have plans to prosper you…” not said to us. “Be fruitful and multiply…” not said to us. Let’s be intellectually honest when quoting Scripture. It’s there to help not mislead. Too much of the latter causes a weak argument. Be blessed.
Because of some ignorant folks shown by the news media it seems you want to silence all the weaker parts of the body. But what does scripture say?

1 Corinthians 12:22
On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable,

1 Corinthians 14:31
For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged,

1 Corinthians 14:39-40
So my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. But all things should be done decently and in order.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
op: One Body Of CHRIST - many parts; what is applicable or not?"

"But HE {JESUS} Answered and Said {to satan}, It Is Written, Man shall not live
by bread alone, but By EVERY Word that Proceedeth Out Of The Mouth of God!"
(Matthew 4:4 cp Luke 4:4; Deuteronomy 8:3)

1) IF one does not read God's Preserved Word All The Way Through At Least
Once, Then HOW do they obey "living By EVERY Word From God"?

2) IF one reads Any corrupt version {over 100?} with 2800 "words MISSING"
thinking they are obeying God, HOW do they have EVERY Word From God?

3) IF one does have God's PRESERVED Word and does not obey 2 Timothy 2:15,
Then HOW do they know What Is Applicable To us, and what is not?

(2 Timothy 2:15; Romans 16:25; Ephesians 1:3-9; Ephesians 3:9 =
GRACE/MYSTERY fellowship {Romans – Philemon}, For ALL “to SEE,” today?)

Please Be Richly Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, and Edified!
God’s Simple Will!

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
You are doing the exact intellectual dishonesty that I mentioned.
This is hilarious. So what spiritual lessons did you learn from those passages about executing evildoers? That is what needs to be applied.

Jul 24, 2021
What you describe are spirits which are not holy. Be undaunted in your faith and follow the Scriptures.

Here are some words to live by
Heb 5:13For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. 14But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Prov 26:4Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. 5Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

Nov 26, 2012
What you describe are spirits which are not holy. Be undaunted in your faith and follow the Scriptures.

Here are some words to live by
Heb 5:13For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. 14But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Prov 26:4Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. 5Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.
If not to gain an authentic relationship with the Creator, what are we following faith and the Scriptures to?

Jul 24, 2021
If not to gain an authentic relationship with the Creator, what are we following faith and the Scriptures to?
I think you banged it on the head. My reading of the Scriptures is God wants to authentic (good word) relationship. The Presence of God is Death to the unclean(Leviticus) . The Scriptures through the Advocacy of Jesus permits us to finally meet God and live. Scriptures enhances the faith. Faith in practice attains Grace in the Eyes of God. Any other objectives are a distraction. As it is said man was not made for the Sabbath, but Sabbath for man.