Opinions on Halloween

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Yeah I can definitely see where you are coming from with those opinions, I know I wanna say the last 5 years, my Dad has been trying to stress the importance of Christmas with Jesus’s birth to all of his children, including my step and half siblings. But as you said, everyone is different because my Dad still likes to write gifts as “Being from Santa” on some of the gifts I get. Plus, I gotta be careful around my 7 year old half-sister, because my dad and my step mom told her about Santa and I can’t “spill the beans” as it were and say that he isn’t real, but I honestly don’t see myself doing that because I don’t want to ruin her joy in believing in Santa.

But yeah, I knew I was really stubborn into believing Santa, well into my Middle school years and my dad basically had to convince yell at me that he isn’t real, in a way to grow up and be an adult. So in a way I do understand not telling your kids about Santa and other fictional characters.

I honestly don’t know if I will have children, I’m only thinking of trying to make friends at this point, but maybe I’ll tell them just because I remember liking Santa and still feel this sense of happiness when Christmas time comes around, but if it seems like it might not be good idea, then I might be more cautious, I don’t the future, only the lord knows the future ^_^
Don't get me wrong, I understand the "magic" of Xmas. Too much in fact. There are plenty of things that if I explained the reasons people would understand personally why I'm opposed to it but also I do have fond memories. It's something like "movie magic" it's not real except that it is "real" or rather "reel". They word fond only applies to things like this. Like a old house where you grew up in with all the childhood memories but you aren't a child anymore. I don't mean that you lose touch with your inner child as an adult, certainly not but as I've matured I can't enjoy those things in the same way because I know too much about what made it so "reel" in the first place.

You know what is portrayed in movies is pretty unbiblical but people suspend that and get swept along in the adventure of it all...I've found that it's not just fun and games but I think it's probably best to leave it up to the Lord how other people see it for now. The enemy certainly isn't gone so of course we should be mindful and put on the full armour and pray without ceasing not just during the "holidays" but in general for sure. So long as people aren't justifying sin more because "it's christmas" or putting it on a pedestal or idolizing I think most people that's alright for a time.

Oh and I totally feel ya on overthinking. I haven't ever felt like I was overthinking when people told me I was (and they have a lot over my lifetime) but there are times where you don't have enough information/maturity and it's like trying to understand Algebra 2 when you are in pre-Algebra sometimes. So it's important when you feel like you are at a mental "brick wall" to quit butting it and "table it" for later. Like filing it away in a filing cabinet :p

I ofc mean the above statement from personal experience ha.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020
Don't get me wrong, I understand the "magic" of Xmas. Too much in fact. There are plenty of things that if I explained the reasons people would understand personally why I'm opposed to it but also I do have fond memories. It's something like "movie magic" it's not real except that it is "real" or rather "reel". They word fond only applies to things like this. Like a old house where you grew up in with all the childhood memories but you aren't a child anymore. I don't mean that you lose touch with your inner child as an adult, certainly not but as I've matured I can't enjoy those things in the same way because I know too much about what made it so "reel" in the first place.

You know what is portrayed in movies is pretty unbiblical but people suspend that and get swept along in the adventure of it all...I've found that it's not just fun and games but I think it's probably best to leave it up to the Lord how other people see it for now. False gods were "reel" in the Old Testament. The enemy certainly isn't gone so of course we should be mindful and put on the full armour and pray without ceasing not just during the "holidays" but in general for sure.

Oh and I totally feel ya on overthinking. I haven't ever felt like I was overthinking when people told me I was (and they have a lot over my lifetime) but there are times where you don't have enough information/maturity and it's like trying to understand Algebra 2 when you are in pre-Algebra sometimes. So it's important when you feel like you are at a mental "brick wall" to quit butting it and "table it" for later. Like filing it away in a filing cabinet :p
Yeah definitely, never thought about it before when it comes to my overthinking. Basically for me, it’s probably the influence of movies and TV shows I’ve watched, but I’ll think back on a choice I did high school and wonder: “What if I chose the other option?” so for the longest time I legit believed in parallel universes, where each choice I made, and didn’t make, it would become its own set timeline...yes I’ve watched the Back to the Future movies, lol, but I try not to think like that nowadays, because it probably doesn’t sound good for a Christian to be believing in alternate timelines and stuff with timelines.

Yeah, I’m lucky that my “inner child” is still well, or at least I think so, though I can be cynical from time to time, especially when it comes to annoying stuff like mass pandering and whatnot. I think why I’m able to enjoy those old Rankin/Bass productions, is my own interest in animation and picking up on things. For example, there are actually multiple versions of Rudolph, like yes seriously where they had a different ending for the original TV airing, and have this VHS of Rudolph and when I happened to watch Rudolph on TV, I noticed the differences in the songs and in the sound effects used, I think noticing that is what got me into knowing random facts. I don’t which years each version is from, but Wikipedia knows, lol.

Also, I guess because I’ve never seen anything bad happen in my life with believing in fictional characters, that I find it hard to see it as bad, but I believe everything has pros and cons and as a kid, yeah I’ll admit it, I was probably thinking more about Santa than Jesus, but now I know better as a adult and I’m glad my Dad made me grow up...but then again...you are talking to the same person who would grab the baby Jesus out of the nativity, and pretend he was flying in the air because he had his arms opened out...yeah I was goofy kid, lol 😅

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Yeah I actually looked up the Rudolph movie when you posted it initially because I didn't know those were the makers/producers w/e.

I saw a few versions on wiki. It's a pretty harmless film...but some children take even something pretty mild out of bounds (I did) I had a rudolph doll when I was 3 (still have it somewhere). It was one of my favorite films as a child and the song sung by the character Clarice "There's always tomorrow" hit me pretty strong back then and still the film is appealing but it's something I'll wait a long time to watch again (if I ever do). I have the collectors edition sitting in a old box along with I think the Jack frost film just in case "someday" I'm ever moved again in that direction. There was a time when I would spiritually analyze films but I think my memories are enough to do that tbh if the Lord is in that endeavor.

when he finds copper at the end...brilliant. Copper is pretty valuable lol. I could probably step by step that whole film...my memory is almost photographic with films for whatever reason. I used to have to wait years even as a child for things to be "fresh" enough for a re-watch and I had a standard for timing back then. It'd be fun to talk about but maybe on some level it's narcissistic and best left in the dusty attic section of my mind ha.

it was quite creative and humorous, I'm getting a giggle thinking back.

Edit: Oh and I hear one of the lines that one character says to another when I neglect myself and don't eat occasionally. I'm sure you know which part that is...

I've enjoyed talking about it though :)

@SarahUmbreon

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Yep I live with my choices, and I’m happy with my Christmas traditions we do. I just wish people wouldn’t get so aggressive over stuff like that, it’s my life. Like how a gentleman yelled at me “I don’t give a sh*t what you think!” cause I wasn’t wearing my mask right at work, I even backed off when he told me to, it was probably me saying “I don’t care” when was talking about why masks are important, I really think we as a society have forgotten how to peacefully “agree to disagree” mindset. Like I was in a small shop with my mom, because there are a ton of small shops where I live, and I wanted to take a picture of a Trump hat, cause it was funny and I wanted to send it to my grandfather. But the shopkeeper stopped me, pointing at his sign to not take pictures. I apologized for not seeing it and so did my mom, but the shopkeeper went on to explain how he doesn’t want people to take photos of his merch, cause he believes it is people stealing his merch. My mom said she doesn’t agree but we not be trying to take pictures again. But the shopkeeper got upset and was like “Why don’t you understand?” and it got so bad, my mom walked me out of the store. It’s sad that no “peacefully agree to disagree” doesn’t seem to exist anymore.

I think it’s actually cool that humans are complex and we all are different. It shows how God made each of us uniquely, also I’m pretty sure the movie was “The Equalizer” (I might be wrong) where everyone was the same and it was boring, and that’s no fun. I’m not saying I like conflict, but I think it is through difference in opinions, that we can have peaceful “agree to disagree” discussions and hopefully come out smarter from each discussion.

I’m not changing my Christian views or any my views, but I think since I watch so many online reviews on stuff, I just like hearing opinions, lol
I agree people no longer know how to agree. But I can see a subject like masks being more understandable than taking pics in a store.
All 3 people in my household are at high risk. We're fairly laid back about it, probably too much so at times. But others may have similar risks themselves or with people they care about.
People often forget these masks are not just for themselves but for those around them as well.
But i don't do well with the masks at all. Very suffocating feeling. Good thing I don't go out much.

Aug 16, 2020
I agree people no longer know how to agree. But I can see a subject like masks being more understandable than taking pics in a store.
All 3 people in my household are at high risk. We're fairly laid back about it, probably too much so at times. But others may have similar risks themselves or with people they care about.
People often forget these masks are not just for themselves but for those around them as well.
But i don't do well with the masks at all. Very suffocating feeling. Good thing I don't go out much.
Yeah like if a place wants me to wear one, I will without complaining, I’ve been doing it whenever I need to go somewhere.

It’s just really hard at my job, you see we didn’t start a mandatory mask policy for employees until May, and our store isn’t even mask needed, so it’s causing problems with customers getting mad at us. They actually just recently lifted the mask needing, so it’s up to stores to decide if they want masks or not, but until I hear from my manager, I gotta be stuck wearing one to keep my job. Luckily I can let my nose out when pushing carts in, I honestly would rather be pushing carts in than sacking groceries. Also, I have glasses, so I’ve been taking them off because I would rather get a headache than deal with my glasses fogging up.

I believe if a person is in a danger group, then yes wear a mask, it’s just bad at my job. But I see people with masks talking friendly to their friends not wearing a mask, so I think everyone just needs to be able to respect each other choices, I’m just so legit done with masks, I keep saying I’m gonna burn mine, and I believe I really will when this is all said and done.

Feb 28, 2016
Actually, my spiritual outlook is quite positive as Jesus is by my side and has promised to never leave nor forsake me. Also, I know my purpose during my sojourn on earth and that is to do the work that the Heavenly Father has prepared for me to accomplish beforehand. I take great comfort in that.

It could be that my bouts of depression are more of a clinical nature. I have noticed however that since I got remarried in 2014 my depression has lessen and the bouts fewer and far between. I attribute that to our daily prayer, devotion, bible study and reading of the bible. I am a firm believer that the family that prays together stays together.

Being blessed with a wonderful wife doesn't hurt either. I pray each day to be a loving and faithful husband to her too for this is of utmost importance for me.
=======================================
as we continually 'over-come' after (conversion), as Christians, our 'new -man' is daily 'over-coming' our 'old-worldly-ways',
and our daily task of over-coming is doing just that, (OVER-COMING) our 'old-bad-destructive-demonic habits'...
IF one finds themselves, AFTER YEARS of telling themselves that they are 'christians', and have NOT OVER-COME the
the very 'worst of their physical-abusive behaviours, then this should be a wake-up-call to question themselves,
in all honesty about the journey that they THINK they are on...
always remember, our FRUITS bear WITNESS, whether good or bad, for The Holy Spirit will always show us and give us
the ways and means to 'over-come' EVERY wicked' way that 'the world had kept us in bondage to...

Aug 16, 2020
I just realized, it's the first day of spooky month!...or "Spoopy Month" lol : p

1569928679179.gif

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
i didn't celebrate halloween growing up. fortunately, i never felt like i was missing out. now as an adult, i don't care for it. if someone wants to celebrate, go ahead. if they don't, it's all right.

i do appreciate the candy sales the day after lolol.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
Since it’s coming up (Well at least to the grocery stories, gotta love that commercialized holiday stuff being out 2 months ahead, can’t wait to see Christmas stuff as soon as Thanksgiving ends, lol :p), lets talk about Halloween.

So, I really don’t care for Halloween. As a kid, I used to dress up and go trick-or-treating, but since scary customers scared me, I stopped when I wanna say I was 12 or 13, possibly even 10. My family has always decorated the house and given out candy, but I think that’s about it. The most celebrating I do is usually making sure to watch some “spooky anime” and that’s honestly it.

I was actually researching it and it turns out to be very complicated overall, and kind of interesting in its complicated-ness, lol, but luckily I had my mom and one of my mom’s friends to help expand on what I was reading. So basically, we celebrate it for fun (Or at least used to, we still decorate, but being out in the middle of nowhere, we don’t get trick-or-treaters, lol) and that’s it.

Here are the articles I found:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

https://www.gotquestions.org/Halloween-origin.html

https://www.gotquestions.org/Christians-celebrate-Halloween.html
Today's Halloween can be said to be a retail scheme to fatten the candy and costume manufacturing corporations bottom line before the end of their last tax quarter.

I love Halloween for the costumes. Especially when parents accompany their children and have a baby costumed and riding on their hip. So cute! And the little ones are so into their character. Precious.

Aug 16, 2020
Since we are deep into “Spooky month”, I’m bored and figured I would ask what everyone is doing, lol

I haven’t watched any spooky stuff, I finally watched Kiki’s Delivery Service...it’s about a witch, so it could count, lol, but Kiki is a good witch so that’s debatable, if it should count for “Spooky Month”

Then I finally watched “Princess Mononoke”, which can also be debatable if it should count for “Spooky Month”, but Boar Gods getting taken over by their hate and get cursed, that was pretty spooky looking, in my personal opinion.

So that’s basically it for now, apparently that new Higurashi (It’s an anime) reboot is coming out as a new show, so I might check that out if I can/have the motivation, lol.

Socreta93

Jul 28, 2015
Don't do it. I do know that if I go to the deli that they would either give discounts or just give candy for free so forgive me but I love chocolate.

Oct 16, 2020
halloween is satanic, have nothing to do with it.
christmas is pagan, have nothing to do with it.

Honor Jesus Christ as holy and stay away from this secular stuff.

Oct 16, 2020
i didn't celebrate halloween growing up. fortunately, i never felt like i was missing out. now as an adult, i don't care for it. if someone wants to celebrate, go ahead. if they don't, it's all right.

i do appreciate the candy sales the day after lolol.
halloween is satan's holiday. Have nothing to do with satan's filth.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
... I have glasses, so I’ve been taking them off because I would rather get a headache than deal with my glasses fogging up.
If you pull your mask up your nose enough to have the bottom of your glasses sitting on the top of your mask, it largely prevents your breath from escaping that route and fogging up your glasses ;):) I have also seen it said that washing your glasses with soapy water helps, as the soap film acts as a fog barrier. After washing, allow your lenses to air dry or gently wipe them off with a soft cloth before wearing your glasses again :)

Aug 16, 2020
halloween is satanic, have nothing to do with it.
christmas is pagan, have nothing to do with it.

Honor Jesus Christ as holy and stay away from this secular stuff.
I’m just quoting your post cause I wanted to say congratulations!!!

Your the first person to give me a negative response here on CC, thought you should know and be happy about it, was wondering when someone would dislike what I post, lol.

But yeah, have a god blessed day ^_^

Oct 16, 2020
I’m just quoting your post cause I wanted to say congratulations!!!

Your the first person to give me a negative response here on CC, thought you should know and be happy about it, was wondering when someone would dislike what I post, lol.

But yeah, have a god blessed day ^_^

For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ. Gal 1:10

You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons. 1Cor 10:21

halloween is satan's filth, have nothing to do with it; it is an offense to God. Repent.

Aug 16, 2020
For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ. Gal 1:10

You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons. 1Cor 10:21

halloween is satan's filth, have nothing to do with it; it is an offense to God. Repent.
I repent daily, I try my best and don’t judge, if you have the time, and like reading, here is my testimony: https://christianchat.com/testimonies/my-story-of-how-i-came-to-rely-on-god.194434/

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
halloween is satan's filth, have nothing to do with it; it is an offense to God
Correct. Christians should boycott Halloween.

However, everyone could make October 31 "Burn Your Mask Day" and make huge bonfires for that purpose.

Aug 16, 2020
Correct. Christians should boycott Halloween.

However, everyone could make October 31 "Burn Your Mask Day" and make huge bonfires for that purpose.
Yeah, can’t wait to burn my mask, but I think everyone should wait until we hear of a official announcement, don’t want to burn your only mask, and then find out nothing is better. Wouldn’t be able to go into any stores, like grocery stores, since a lot of them still require masks.

Just “food for thought”, lol XD

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013

I got news for ya. The WHOLE world, and everything in it, is pagan.

We have freedom in Christ. If something is sinful to YOU, then by all means refrain!

The “trick”, is to put Christ, and take Christ, in whatever you do, and wherever you go.

We just had our 12th Annual Pumpkin Carving Contest. And we managed to not Sacrifice a single virgin!

But we did enjoy fellowship and love with each other.