Oppressing Women

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Katia

Aug 29, 2021
PDX
I've long felt that some try to use gen 3:16 and other passages to oppress women. That does not seem to be the case in Judaism, though I am not very knowledgeable about it. I have felt that in Islam, in the Quran, in Surah 4:34 is used for that purpose, and many supposedly knowledgeable men in Islam do it. I have happened to find that women did not cover their heads or faces until the women companions of Muhammad PBUH were the ones who started that and it was not to honor Allah SWT, but to show respect for the Prophet.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I've long felt that some try to use gen 3:16 and other passages to oppress women. That does not seem to be the case in Judaism, though I am not very knowledgeable about it. I have felt that in Islam, in the Quran, in Surah 4:34 is used for that purpose, and many supposedly knowledgeable men in Islam do it. I have happened to find that women did not cover their heads or faces until the women companions of Muhammad PBUH were the ones who started that and it was not to honor Allah SWT, but to show respect for the Prophet.
Evil and wicked people have used both religion and paganism to oppress others they hold a prejudice to that is typically taught under cultural and social norms. These norms are are typically only tested once individuals who are Holy Spirit led see the immorality as their being persuaded by God.

God's law has been used by the Pharisees to overburden the followers and line their pockets with the money of overpriced sacrifices and stealing from the tithes and offerings. False preachers throughout history have used the Bible to support slavery, women oppression, war, false teachings that feed their greed of money, and legalism with fear and repentance as a actual physical punishment to force cohesion.

For those who read the Word in all context and strive to gain truth/ understanding, they will easily see the falsehood in these teachings.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
You haven't seen it much in Judaism? Stick around. You'll see it a lot whenever this topic comes up on the forum. There are people who are RABIDLY against women preachers, to say nothing of women PASTORS, and will question your salvation if you so much as hint that a woman can teach a man anything about the Bible.

Fortunately that's mostly in the Bible Discussion Forum. We get a bit of seepage into the other forums from time to time - this very thread might draw them out, we'll have to just wait and see - but usually they stay in their BDF boxing ring.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
A word to the wise: Discussing what is right and wrong about the Quran usually goes over in this forum about as well as if you talked about the fine points of Bible scripture in a Muslim forum. ;)

Katia

Aug 29, 2021
PDX
You haven't seen it much in Judaism? Stick around. You'll see it a lot whenever this topic comes up on the forum. There are people who are RABIDLY against women preachers, to say nothing of women PASTORS, and will question your salvation if you so much as hint that a woman can teach a man anything about the Bible.

Fortunately that's mostly in the Bible Discussion Forum. We get a bit of seepage into the other forums from time to time - this very thread might draw them out, we'll have to just wait and see - but usually they stay in their BDF boxing ring.
Agreed. I think that Paul (Saul) originated most of the mistreatment of women.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Was there not mistreatment long, long before... so it wasnt Paul who started it.

Katia

Aug 29, 2021
PDX
I claim no expertise in the matter. I am not at all confident that Gen. 3:16 reflects God's intentions. I just do my best. I'm told that man first started writing around 400 BC, and it seems that none of us agree how long it was from then to Creation. Is it about 3,000 years, 170,000 years or Millions?

From an Archeological point of view, before the Jews there were others and then the Zoroastrians, and the the Sumerians. Who knows? I am waiting on God.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
It seems when people get together on Paul, they disagree a lot. Jesus Yeshua is always clear enough for me.

EmilyNats

Jul 28, 2016
I have never heard anyone use that verse, personally, but then against I don't think I've ever had a man try to "oppress" me.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
?

Like how
I dont know if people really use Bible verses to oppress women. People (men) just will call us names like slut and bitch and throw stones at women or what not. They not really looking for any justification....

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I respect your right to your opinion, but I strongly disagree with you.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I claim no expertise in the matter. I am not at all confident that Gen. 3:16 reflects God's intentions. I just do my best. I'm told that man first started writing around 400 BC, and it seems that none of us agree how long it was from then to Creation. Is it about 3,000 years, 170,000 years or Millions?

From an Archeological point of view, before the Jews there were others and then the Zoroastrians, and the the Sumerians. Who knows? I am waiting on God.
Has it occurred to you that Genesis 3:16 (and the rest of God's words to Adam and Eve) were statements of certain consequence rather than judgment?

If a person jumps out of a flying airplane without a functional parachute, their sudden and likely fatal landing is not a judgment; it's a consequence. Likewise, God was telling Adam and Eve what would happen as a result of their sin, not what He wanted to happen.

If you disagree, it follows that you believe that men must have sweaty brows when eating, and be violating God's command when they pull the thorns and thistles from their vegetable patches.

Katia

Aug 29, 2021
PDX
Has it occurred to you that Genesis 3:16 (and the rest of God's words to Adam and Eve) were statements of certain consequence rather than judgment?

If a person jumps out of a flying airplane without a functional parachute, their sudden and likely fatal landing is not a judgment; it's a consequence. Likewise, God was telling Adam and Eve what would happen as a result of their sin, not what He wanted to happen.

If you disagree, it follows that you believe that men must have sweaty brows when eating, and be violating God's command when they pull the thorns and thistles from their vegetable patches.
My early experiences with men were harsh and it has been a lifelong struggle to be fair.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
My early experiences with men were harsh and it has been a lifelong struggle to be fair.
Sorry to hear that. I have observed some terrible treatment of women (and I don't even mean "abusive") that was justified with the misuse of Scripture.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I believe Paul gave the message the Holy Spirit gave for Him to give..

I believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God..

Faith is trusting in God.. No matter if we have fuller understanding of His will or limited understanding.. The person who trusts God is in the right place / relationship with God..

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I remember Jerry Clower talking about when he met the "She-Coon of Women's Libbers." He asked her what women she was trying to liberate. She said EVERY woman at some point in her life has been oppressed by the male of the species. :rolleyes:

So he proceeded to tell her about his wife. His wife doesn't have to get up until she wants to get up. When she does get up she can make her own breakfast or have a servant bring it to her. When she wants to watch television she can watch it in three different rooms (and back then having three televisions was in fact a pretty big deal.) When she goes shopping she goes in a gold colored Cadillac.

He said, "Ms. Women's Libber, my wife don't want you messing with the deal SHE'S got!" :cool:

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Paul was in a different culture in a different time.
He was not married but many of the new believing jewish men were married to unbelieving wives...Im guessing that was how he got to evangelising to the gentiles.

That may have been one of the reasons he was asking women (or wives) to keep silent in church. Or rather synagogue as a place of instruction, only men were allowed to teach and talk. But even if they did have something to say he said to wait their turn and let the men go first. Just a question of order.

When he wrote it was Adam that was created first and then Eve I am supposing that this was just the order of things everyone took for granted in terms of husband and wife. (Not wife and husband)

However if you unmarried its a different story you as woman you have complete freedom. The first people to witness the resurrection were women. Noone really believed them at first but its a fact that the women were there first and the first to care.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Synagogue is originally the Greek word for a gathering or assembly.

It came to be used exlusively, almost, for Jews and Judaism.

This gives rise to a full understanding of the Revelation warning to beware of those who say they are Jews and are not, rather they are a synagogue of Satan. This refers to any ad all who claim to believe God.

synagogue (n.)
late 12c., "the regular public worship of the Jews," also the building in which this is done, from Old French sinagoge "synagogue, mosque, pagan temple" (11c., Modern French synagogue), from Late Latin synagoga "congregation of Jews," from Greek synagoge "place of assembly, synagogue; meeting, assembly," literally "a bringing together," from synagein "to gather, bring together, assemble," from syn- "together" (see syn-) + agein "put in motion, move," from PIE root *ag- "to drive, draw out or forth, move."
Used by Greek translators of the Old Testament as a loan-translation of late Hebrew keneseth "assembly" (as in beth keneseth "synagogue," literally "house of assembly;" compare Knesset). Related: Synagogical; synagogal.