Ordination

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 3, 2023
Hello everyone!

Back in 2003 I finished high school and, feeling called by God to pursue Christian ministry, I left home and followed God's call to attend Bible college. I graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Biblical Studies (with a 2nd major in Psychology) in 2007. I got married in 2008, and pursued a Seminary education in which I graduated with a Master of Divinity in 2014. Since then I've been serving in the church on a largely volunteer basis as a teacher, guest preacher, elder, and now as a layman. I'm considering whether I might be called to full time ministry involving ordination.

My question for those of you who are ministers is this: What kind of calling and qualities do you look for when considering a candidate for ordination? What advice would you give someone in my circumstances?

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
'Called to the Ministry'
- Edmund P. Clowney
---
It might be helpful to you..
- about calling, gifts..etc.
---
Kindle ebook

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Since then I've been serving in the church on a largely volunteer basis as a teacher, guest preacher, elder, and now as a layman. I'm considering whether I might be called to full time ministry involving ordination.
Since I have also served in similar capacities without compensation or ordination, I would suggest that you follow the NT directives. Ordination was to create a distinction between clergy and laity, but NT elders were not "clergy".

Christ said that clerical titles were unacceptable -- But be not ye called Rabbi [equivalent to Reverend or Doctor]: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren. And call no man your father [equivalent to calling Catholic priests and clergy "Father"] upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. Neither be ye called masters [equivalent to taking Master of Divinity degrees] for one is your Master, even Christ. (Mt 23:8-10).

As we all know almost every denomination is DISOBEYING Christ in this matter, as you have done with your M.Div. When I wanted to serve in certain churches, they demanded an M. Div as a qualification, even though the Bible does not! The Brethren assemblies avoid ordination and clerical titles (as generally practiced) and function just fine.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Neither be ye called masters [equivalent to taking Master of Divinity degrees] for one is your Master, even Christ. (Mt 23:8-10).
Unfortunately you have misunderstood the Scripture here. Earning a degree in a seminary does not mean the individual goes around telling others to call him or her “Master”. One who did so would be called an arrogant fool very quickly. Nor would any upright Christian with such a degree accept such a title. The degree merely implies that its holder has mastered a subject and is competent in its execution.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
Hello everyone!

Back in 2003 I finished high school and, feeling called by God to pursue Christian ministry, I left home and followed God's call to attend Bible college. I graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Biblical Studies (with a 2nd major in Psychology) in 2007. I got married in 2008, and pursued a Seminary education in which I graduated with a Master of Divinity in 2014. Since then I've been serving in the church on a largely volunteer basis as a teacher, guest preacher, elder, and now as a layman. I'm considering whether I might be called to full time ministry involving ordination.

My question for those of you who are ministers is this: What kind of calling and qualities do you look for when considering a candidate for ordination? What advice would you give someone in my circumstances?
My first question is always, "Why do you believe that you are called?"

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
Thread Title
Ordination

God will ordain His Ministers --not Man

This is what a true Minister is -----and WE ---Who are Born Again are all Ministers ----No Seminary School can prepare you for the Ministry of Jesus Christ ----Only the Holy Spirit can do that -----Folks

This Scripture below gives you the Who are Ministers and the what is needed to be a true Minister for Christ ---and how you get there ------No Seminary school mentioned -----

Posting the whole Scripture so it is in Context -------

Your Bible and the Holy Spirit are your Seminary School for being an Ordained Minister of God --------in my view

The Master degrees ----and all other degrees are for this world only ---they mean nothing to God ------without the indwelling of the Holy Spirit ---your a minister of Satan ---Period

And pay attention to Verse 14 here -------

14 So then, we may no longer be children, tossed [like ships] to and fro between chance gusts of teaching and wavering with every changing wind of doctrine, [the prey of] the cunning and cleverness of [c]unscrupulous men, [gamblers engaged] in every shifting form of trickery in inventing errors to mislead.

Ephesians 4

Amplified Bible, Classic Edition

4 I therefore, the prisoner for the Lord, appeal to and beg you to walk (lead a life) worthy of the [divine] calling to which you have been called [with behavior that is a credit to the summons to God’s service,

2 Living as becomes you] with complete lowliness of mind (humility) and meekness (unselfishness, gentleness, mildness), with patience, bearing with one another and making allowances because you love one another.

3 Be eager and strive earnestly to guard and keep the harmony and oneness of [and produced by] the Spirit in the binding power of peace.

4 [There is] one body and one Spirit—just as there is also one hope [that belongs] to the calling you received—

5 [There is] one Lord, one faith, one baptism,

6 One God and Father of [us] all, Who is above all [Sovereign over all], pervading all and [living] in [us] all.

7 Yet grace (God’s unmerited favor) was given to each of us individually [not indiscriminately, but in different ways] in proportion to the measure of Christ’s [rich and bounteous] gift.

8 Therefore it is said, When He ascended on high, He led captivity captive [He led a train of [a]vanquished foes] and He bestowed gifts on men.

9 [But He ascended?] Now what can this, He ascended, mean but that He had previously descended from [the heights of] heaven into [the depths], the lower parts of the earth?

10 He Who descended is the [very] same as He Who also has ascended high above all the heavens, that He [His presence] might fill all things (the whole universe, from the lowest to the highest).

11 And His gifts were [varied; He Himself appointed and gave men to us] some to be apostles (special messengers), some prophets (inspired preachers and expounders), some evangelists (preachers of the Gospel, traveling missionaries), some pastors (shepherds of His flock) and teachers.

12 His intention was the perfecting and the full equipping of the saints (His consecrated people), [that they should do] the work of ministering toward building up Christ’s body (the church),

13 [That it might develop] until we all attain oneness in the faith and in the comprehension of the [[b]full and accurate] knowledge of the Son of God, that [we might arrive] at really mature manhood (the completeness of personality which is nothing less than the standard height of Christ’s own perfection), the measure of the stature of the fullness of the Christ and the completeness found in Him.

14 So then, we may no longer be children, tossed [like ships] to and fro between chance gusts of teaching and wavering with every changing wind of doctrine, [the prey of] the cunning and cleverness of [c]unscrupulous men, [gamblers engaged] in every shifting form of trickery in inventing errors to mislead.

15 Rather, let our lives lovingly [d]express truth [in all things, speaking truly, dealing truly, living truly]. Enfolded in love, let us grow up in every way and in all things into Him Who is the Head, [even] Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One).

16 For because of Him the whole body (the church, in all its various parts), closely joined and firmly knit together by the joints and ligaments with which it is supplied, when each part [with power adapted to its need] is working properly [in all its functions], grows to full maturity, building itself up in love.

17 So this I say and solemnly testify in [the name of] the Lord [as in His presence], that you must no longer live as the heathen (the Gentiles) do in their perverseness [in the folly, vanity, and emptiness of their souls and the futility] of their minds.

18 Their [e]moral understanding is darkened and their reasoning is beclouded. [They are] alienated (estranged, self-banished) from the life of God [with no share in it; this is] because of the ignorance (the want of knowledge and perception, the willful blindness) that is [f]deep-seated in them, due to their hardness of heart [to the insensitiveness of their moral nature].

19 In their spiritual apathy they have become callous and past feeling and reckless and have abandoned themselves [a prey] to unbridled sensuality, eager and greedy to indulge in every form of impurity [that their depraved desires may suggest and demand].

20 But you did not so learn Christ!

21 Assuming that you have really heard Him and been taught by Him, as [all] Truth is in Jesus [embodied and personified in Him],

22 Strip yourselves of your former nature [put off and discard your old unrenewed self] which characterized your previous manner of life and becomes corrupt through lusts and desires that spring from delusion;

23 And be constantly renewed in the spirit of your mind [having a fresh mental and spiritual attitude],

24 And put on the new nature (the regenerate self) created in God’s image, [Godlike] in true righteousness and holiness.

25 Therefore, rejecting all falsity and being done now with it, let everyone express the truth with his neighbor, for we are all parts of one body and members one of another.
26 When angry, do not sin; do not ever let your wrath (your exasperation, your fury or indignation) last until the sun goes down.

27 Leave no [such] room or foothold for the devil [give no opportunity to him].

28 Let the thief steal no more, but rather let him be industrious, making an honest living with his own hands, so that he may be able to give to those in need.

29 Let no foul or polluting language, nor evil word nor unwholesome or worthless talk [ever] come out of your mouth, but only such [speech] as is good and beneficial to the spiritual progress of others, as is fitting to the need and the occasion, that it may be a blessing and give grace (God’s favor) to those who hear it.

30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God [do not offend or vex or sadden Him], by Whom you were sealed (marked, branded as God’s own, secured) for the day of redemption (of final deliverance through Christ from evil and the consequences of sin).

31 Let all bitterness and indignation and wrath (passion, rage, bad temper) and resentment (anger, animosity) and quarreling (brawling, clamor, contention) and slander (evil-speaking, abusive or blasphemous language) be banished from you, with all malice (spite, ill will, or baseness of any kind).

32 And become useful and helpful and kind to one another, tenderhearted (compassionate, understanding, loving-hearted), forgiving one another [readily and freely], as God in Christ forgave you

I say
Good Read here from got questions ----for anyone interested

https://www.gotquestions.org/ordination.html
What does the Bible say about ordination?

Oct 3, 2023
My first question is always, "Why do you believe that you are called?"
@Billyd

Good question. The notion of pursuing ordination and of calling did not come from me. While I have been volunteering and serving inside and outside of the church, others who have gotten to know me and have seen me walking with Christ and in the Spirit have suggested to me that this step may be appropriate.

Ideally, as others have said, calling to the ministry of Christ is not from men but from God. When a calling is from God, others in the church who are mature followers of Christ and are in Christ will bear witness to and confirm one's calling. That is the way it has come about for me, certainly not my idea.

I belong to Christ Jesus my Lord, and that is never going to change. So regardless of whether or not I pursue formal ordination, my hearts desire is to follow and serve Christ. I am not interested in power or titles. The part of the ordination process that does appeal to me is the opportunity to be examined by other mature believers who can either confirm my calling or confirm my unsuitability for the ministry as the biblically evaluate me.

There's much more but I'll leave it at that for the moment.

Oct 3, 2023
@Eli1

A few years ago I strongly considered joining the Orthodox church. I have many Orthodox friends and have tremendous respect and admiration for the Orthodox faith and tradition, but I do not go to an Orthodox church currently.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
Got it.
God bless you in your journey.

I think your heart is in the right place based on your response #7 so just follow your calling from God and be blessed.
When i was young i also seriously considered becoming a monk but my mother needed me so things didn't work out.
I was going to go to mount Athos.

Oct 3, 2023
@Eli1

That sounds fantastic! I will forever cherish the time I was given to worship and study in Jerusalem. Mount Athos would indeed be a privilege to see. My wife often tells me, had we not met and things turned out differently so I was single, that I would have been a "good monk." Thank you for sharing this

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Hello everyone!

Ordination just means you have official approval of your church body to do the work of ministry.

If that's what's on your heart, and it correlates with the needs and desires of your life goals (which should be placed within you by the Holy Spirit), then this seems like a simple thing.

And if you seek ordination, and for some reason those in leadership don't find it agreeable, then that answers the question as well. That is literally what ordination is, to have approval of the church and church leadership.

I think you're making this too complicated.
And if you ever feel like you can't see yourself objectively, just ask your wife... she knows all about you.
: )

Oct 3, 2023
Ordination just means you have official approval of your church body to do the work of ministry.

If that's what's on your heart, and it correlates with the needs and desires of your life goals (which should be placed within you by the Holy Spirit), then this seems like a simple thing.

And if you seek ordination, and for some reason those in leadership don't find that agreeable, then that solves the question as well. That is literally what ordination is, to have approval of the church and church leadership.

I think you're making this too complicated.
And if you ever feel like you can't see yourself objectivey, just ask your wife... she knows all about you.
: )

@maxwel

Thank you for your insight. That really resonates. My wife certainly has the "goods" on me, and has helped me see things clearly many, many times. Marriage is such a gift from God, as the spouse He gives each of us to live life with.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
@Billyd

Good question. The notion of pursuing ordination and of calling did not come from me. While I have been volunteering and serving inside and outside of the church, others who have gotten to know me and have seen me walking with Christ and in the Spirit have suggested to me that this step may be appropriate.

Ideally, as others have said, calling to the ministry of Christ is not from men but from God. When a calling is from God, others in the church who are mature followers of Christ and are in Christ will bear witness to and confirm one's calling. That is the way it has come about for me, certainly not my idea.

I belong to Christ Jesus my Lord, and that is never going to change. So regardless of whether or not I pursue formal ordination, my hearts desire is to follow and serve Christ. I am not interested in power or titles. The part of the ordination process that does appeal to me is the opportunity to be examined by other mature believers who can either confirm my calling or confirm my unsuitability for the ministry as the biblically evaluate me.

There's much more but I'll leave it at that for the moment.
Ordination basically tells others that you are ready to assume the roll as the leader of a congregation. We know that you have the academic qualifications. From comments made in other threads, you seem to have experienced and dealt with church controversy, and handled it well. Most churches seeking a new pastor are in some state of turmoil. What do you believe is the best way to begin roll as pastor of a church in turmoil?

B

beaglehound

GreekEagle343,

Here are some things to consider:

1. Certainly keep praying about it
2. Listen to the Holy Spirit speaking within
3. Seek wise counsel by talking with other pastors. You will not be asking, "Would I be suitable in the role?" You will want to know what all is entailed as a pastor. What are the challenges when it comes to personalities in the congregation? How do pastors deal with this situation or that situation?
4. Examine yourself in terms of your own relational skills
5. How will you manage your time as a pastor, a husband, a father?

In time the Lord will give you your answer. 👍

Billyd

May 8, 2014
GreekEagle343,

Here are some things to consider:

1. Certainly keep praying about it
2. Listen to the Holy Spirit speaking within
3. Seek wise counsel by talking with other pastors. You will not be asking, "Would I be suitable in the role?" You will want to know what all is entailed as a pastor. What are the challenges when it comes to personalities in the congregation? How do pastors deal with this situation or that situation?
4. Examine yourself in terms of your own relational skills
5. How will you manage your time as a pastor, a husband, a father?

In time the Lord will give you your answer. 👍
Excellent advice. I would add. Be patient.

B

beaglehound

As we all know almost every denomination is DISOBEYING Christ in this matter, as you have done with your M.Div.
How on earth is pursuing a Master's Degree in Divinity disobeying Christ??

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Hello everyone!

Don't worry about getting ordained, unless your goal is to become a professional Christian. Seems to me we already have way too many of those as is.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
How on earth is pursuing a Master's Degree in Divinity disobeying Christ??

God doesn't care or want your masters degree -----He wants your heart ---and unfortunately not many who seek all these degrees have first seeked God and have the indwelling of the holy Spirit -----which is not made a prerequisite to enter any Seminary or Theological or Divinity School ----

Many who have all these degrees ----are like the Pharisees -----they are white washed on the outside and filthy on the inside ------

1696786141621.jpeg

Many put the --Cart before the Horse

1696786258226.jpeg

B

beaglehound

God doesn't care or want your masters degree -----He wants your heart ---and unfortunately not many who seek all these degrees have first seeked God and have the indwelling of the holy Spirit -----which is not made a prerequisite to enter any Seminary or Theological or Divinity School ----

Many who have all these degrees ----are like the Pharisees -----they are white washed on the outside and filthy on the inside ------

View attachment 256484

Many put the --Cart before the Horse

View attachment 256485
None of what you said answered my question. How's does pursuing or having a Master's in Divinity disobeying Christ?