Orionid Meteor Shower - October 20th to the 22nd

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Addison

Jun 28, 2014
"Orionid meteors are visible from anywhere on Earth and can be seen anywhere across the sky. If you find the shape of Orion the Hunter, the meteor shower's radiant (or point of origin) will be near Orion's sword, slightly north of his left shoulder (the star Betelgeuse)."

The shower will peak with as many as 80 meteors per hour and should be a really great show to view.

Linky for more info:

https://www.space.com/34373-orionid-meteor-shower-guide.html

J

joefizz

every since Astronomy class I like hearing about a bit of space phenomena,the only thing you didn't mention is approximately when this meteor shower takes place I could try the link but would rather you tell at least that much.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
"Orionid meteors are visible from anywhere on Earth and can be seen anywhere across the sky. If you find the shape of Orion the Hunter, the meteor shower's radiant (or point of origin) will be near Orion's sword, slightly north of his left shoulder (the star Betelgeuse)."

The shower will peak with as many as 80 meteors per hour and should be a really great show to view.

Linky for more info:

https://www.space.com/34373-orionid-meteor-shower-guide.html

What if I'm not on the earth?

Aug 2, 2009
I don't understand this meteor shower. How come it repeats every year? Is it circling the solar system or something? I thought meteors just hurtled straight through space like bullets..

Addison

Jun 28, 2014
^ The particles come from the famous Halley's comet that swings by Earth every 75 years or so.

That icy comet makes its way around the sun and leaves behind a trail of comet crumbs.

At certain times of the year, Earth's orbit around the sun crosses paths with the debris.

Usually you can see them twice a year, both in May and later in the fall season, like tonight.

Aug 2, 2009
^ The particles come from the famous Halley's comet that swings by Earth every 75 years or so.

That icy comet makes its way around the sun and leaves behind a trail of comet crumbs.

At certain times of the year, Earth's orbit around the sun crosses paths with the debris.

Usually you can see them twice a year, both in May and later in the fall season, like tonight.

Ok, but then what's the deal with this comet? How come it keeps coming back? Maybe its really a giant spaceship ferrying people from one galaxy to another and it runs every 75 years..

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I try not to go out during Showers............but I do take showers.....well, occasionally.........