I do not think you understand the point I am making through the passage in mat 7 I have highlighted.
It is possible to believe and trust in Jesus and not be saved. These men who cry out to Jesus "Lord, Lord' and list out their miricles and accomplishments, fully believed and trust in Christ. And, still yet Jesus says away from me I NEVER knew you.
Thank you for the clarification. I think it's important to understand what others mean and consider different perspectives. That's not always easy in a written forum.
I just picked up my Bible and randomly opened it up. The Holy Spirit brought my eyes immediately to Matthew 7:21 without needing to turn the page or search for it, so I can tell that He considers our online conversation important on this matter.
When I was young and started reading my Bible, I had similar thoughts as is often taught us, which I had trouble reconciling with passages like Ephesians 2:8...and Titus 3:5
Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us....
What I did was realize that I am just a young man with a lot I still need to learn about the Bible and difficult passages. It would take time and a daily walk with God and perhaps He would reveal those some day. After all, I had a hard enough time understanding man's concepts in my school text books. God's Word is true and must be spiritually learned, so here I am decades later. There are still passages that are a mystery. However, the Lord revealed many over years in study with the Holy Spirit's help.
Last night I was tired and in a hurry, so I'll try to slow down and share what might be worth thinking about after the Lord brought clarity.
First thing we look for is context.
Jesus is teaching His disciples, Matthew 5:1 KJV,
about false prophets 7:15kjv
15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
Focussing on the judgement of false prophets brings us to vss 21-23.
Matthew 7
21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
What is s the will of the Father concerning salvation? Notice Jesus is not talking about turning from hundreds of sins to keep the law as the false prophets taught the people. They all misled the people into looking at the law as the means of salvation when it is the law that condemns. That is the main purpose for Christ to come to the Earth, to do what no man can do, keep the law fully and be the acceptable Sacrifice which taketh away the sins of the world. So, what is that specific "will of my Father which is in heaven?"
40And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
John 6
The will of the Father is that we see the Son.
Today that is through His written Word.
AND believe on Him. Believing on Him excludes believing on self, on church, on keeping the law by turning from all our sins or any other works of righteousness that we have done.
Notice that although they prophesied in His name, that is not faith in Him. How many preachers today think they are going to have everlasting life because they are preachers?
22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils?
There are deliverance ministries today that use the name of Jesus just like the sons of Sceva. Remember those exorcists? What is casting out devils but another work?
and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. 24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
What are they appealing to Jesus as reasons to have life, their faith in Him alone because He did everything necessary when He was beaten bloody, tortured horrifically and hung on a cross to have punishment for all of their sins inflicted upon Him?
No, they did not so much as show gratitude for what the Savior went through before His resurrection. They proclaimed their personal accomplishments.
This was not the will of the Father which is in Heaven.
Now we see clearly the reconciling of this passage with those like John 3:16 and 2 verses later...
He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.