Over 30 singles!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Has anyone else noticed how a dog is a pre-kid? It use to be a dog was just a dog. But now whenever my married friends get a dog, a kid is sure to follow.

I always tell people... I don't have pets... or children... for a reason. :) Ha!

I'm starting to think God may have designed me to be a better "aunt"-type figure than a full-time Mom anyway... I colored Easter eggs with a good friend's kids this past spring, and I think by the end... I was more covered in dye than they were.

I was on the phone with my friend a few days ago and her kids were in the background calling out, "Aunt Kim, will you come over and play today?" Cute. :)

I long for a family of my own sometimes, but... we'll see what God has in store.

In the meantime, friends will be just fine. *Invites others out there to be her friends.* ;)

D

Desi_NZ

Hi Twilight How are you?..

Ds

T

Twilight

Hi Twilight How are you?..

Ds
Hey, Desi, sorry, I haven't been on for a while. I'm doing okay. Thanks for asking. Nice to see there are a few neat 30 plus single people out there! Us guys gotta stick together you know! LOL.

I appreciate what you guys have shared so far. I'm really looking for friends on here too. So anyone who asked, I'm happy to oblige! :)

M

maggiemodluvshim

I am really not sure how I feel about the marriage thing or the kid thing. To be quite honest, i have always been career minded and an academic. If I were married, I don't know that I would have been able to pursue these things and been exposed to other experiences (traveling, etc.) that has contributed to my growth as a person and as a woman. Not a week ago I was "hankering" for male companionship and needless to say bugging the Lord about why I am still single at this stage in my life. Not two days later did I meet two guys; one who is a Christian and one who is not! The gentleman who is a Christian is still growing.... and even though we have had a lot of good laughs.. he is still struggling in areas that I am not and does not have a sense of "boundaries" and an understanding of what it means to be a "covenant keeper" as a brother in Christ. So where am I going with this? I am not sure what I want. I like that scripture in the bible where it says to search me..and the scripture that states that His ways are not our ways, they are higher than our ways and His thoughts are higher than our thoughts. I believe that the Lord has not withheld any good thing from me. The things that I had to give up to get to this point, I believe that the Lord now is allowing me to walk in the plain path and to grow even more as I am still single and able to pursue things like my studies (which I am very passionate about!). I came to the conclusion that I am not ready for a romantic relationship and if I am, I want to fall in love with the Lord, after all He has been the only one who has been able to tug at my heart strings and provide for me and answer my inner most thoughts. There were times I felt I got "ripped off". But now.. looking at my life, and where I am currently... I don't think that. I would have not gotten to this point if 1) He had not had a plan and 2) had I not been obedient to hear His voice and be willing to do what He wanted me to do.
I am 34. never been married and to be honest, I am not even sure if I will get married. Every once in a while I long for the companionship of a Godly man, but my plate is full right now with stuff I am excited about. The Lord definitely knows what we need ... even when we think we know..

Maggie

C

Celibrate

There are plenty of passions to persue in life, and not just the ones we think we're 'supposed to' persue, or those that well-meaning friends and family tell us we must. We each have our gifts and purposes in His body, and they cannot all be the same!

J0Y

Mar 7, 2009
wow...do i bare my biggest burden at the moment.....hmm....*sigh*

I am finding it difficult being a mid 30s single at the moment because almost EVERYONE (except 2 other girls and one guy) in my marriable age group at church are married and breeding like its the new trend!

Its baby explosion central and whilst Im happy for all my friends I also struggle with the fact that friendship tends to drift further and further apart. How?

Well, friends (esp same sex ones) are close when you are single, you hang out lots, you do random spontaneous stuff...cos u can! Then they get married.....you still hang out with them, you still do random stuff, but not quite so spontaneously or as often coz either their husband is coming with them, or, they are simply too tied up with a mortgage/saving for one, keeping house, getting used to marriage etc. So, the closeness of the friendship wanes a little...

Then comes the babies....I mean, I understand that it is a HUGE deal, but, for a single woman already struggling with friendships drifting apart, it illuminates the chasm forming which feels like someone has kidnapped your closest friends and replaced them with people you struggle to relate to...

Thats where I am at now. So much so that even going to church has been hard for me being one of the only ones not discussing the joys of motherhood, how many weeks I am, what sort of labour I had or what the best teething method is!

Am I being selfish thinking this way? Probably a little. But, I have also noticed - couples gravitate to couples, church is so much more geared towards family focus, and maybe I just dont know where I fit anymore. Dont get me wrong, Im not really complaining about my singleness so much as I find this stage of my life altering the very friendships I held so dear and I grieve for that.

Can anyone relate? Any good advice out there? I am moving to a city next year and I am hoping that there will be more older singles there without having to hang out with 20 year olds! (no offense to the 20 yr olds out there but, yeah, different life space)....

K

Kyra

I always tell people... I don't have pets... or children... for a reason. :) Ha!

I'm starting to think God may have designed me to be a better "aunt"-type figure than a full-time Mom anyway... I colored Easter eggs with a good friend's kids this past spring, and I think by the end... I was more covered in dye than they were.

I was on the phone with my friend a few days ago and her kids were in the background calling out, "Aunt Kim, will you come over and play today?" Cute. :)

I long for a family of my own sometimes, but... we'll see what God has in store.

In the meantime, friends will be just fine. *Invites others out there to be her friends.* ;)

What do you think about adopting kids if you are financially stable and single?
(that is for seoulsearch and anyone else who feels up to answering it)

M

maggiemodluvshim

Seoulsearch,
At one point I considered doing invitro and having a kid by myself. I have since changed my mind.. 1)
I am the oldest of 8 kids and while we are all adults in age, I have two brothers who are mentally challenged and I want to make sure that the quality of their life doesn't go down or change so drastically that they cannot continue to enjoy to live if something were to happen to my folks.

2) adoption is great.. because of where I am right now I don't think that is an option for me as I don't want that to be an option. I want to focus on finishing my degree and finding secure employment so I can be able to provide for my brothers.

3) I am not sure what the Lord's plan is as far as kids and family and if any of that fits.. right now if I were at a place to want a kid .. I would want a man in my life.. a husband to help raise that kid.. because where there is a mother and father .. there is (ideally) some stability.

Maggie

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hi Eveyrone!

Sorry I'm not able to keep up with the posts as well as I would like. :)

JOY--I can relate to you completely in everything you said... I do not think you're being selfish at all--I think you're like the rest of us in this position--trying to make sense of our place in life, because so often, it seems like we are placed into a category kind of unspoken as "the others"... as in "the others who do not really fit." Whenever I read your posts (and Kyra's, and "the others"... hee hee) I think to myself, "Right on girl, you really know it is for the rest of us."

Kyra and Maggie--EXCELLENT question about adopting or having children as a single parent if a person felt able... I say, if that's where they are in life, if they've prayed about it and feel they have God's blessing and family support, then go for it.

I myself am adopted and have met two other girls about my age who were also adopted--by single mothers. In fact, one had four sisters--so, it was a family of five girls, all adopted, and their happily single Mom, who never married or had a significant other. Neither of these girls felt they were "missing out" on anything by not "officially" having a father.

Familes have many, many defintions, especially nowadays... so my personal belief is, if you have the desire and Godly people/church family to support your decision (because raising a child requires group support if at all possible, as far as I can see), go after your dream with all your heart and may God bless your family.

For myself, I have thought about this and do not believe it would be the option for me. As I've posted before, a few years ago, I dated an alcoholic who saw my entrance into his life as a chance to quit work and end any attempts at adult responsibility whatsoever--I basically became the single mother of two little boys, ages 18 months and 4 years old, for three years. I fed them, dressed them, bathed them, took them to church and day care... paid for many of their living expenses... and nearly had a nervous breakdown in the process. I was ashamed that I had made such terrible choices (in allowing myself to become an alcoholic's enabler) so I didn't really tell anyone what was going on and it was one of the worst time frames of my life.

Now, please don't read me wrong--the boys were wonderfu--it was the father who was the source of so much grief in my life, but it was because of poor choices I myself had made. But the kids taught me so much! Another one of my favorite memories was getting Alex, the oldest, up for a bath one day after a nap, and as I carried him to the tub, he said, "Oh Kim, wait, I forgot my dinosaur!" I told him, "That's ok honey, I don't think he'll mind... because, you know, dinosaurs don't really like getting their hair wet anyway." His little giggle at my bad joke is a precious memory I'll always carry. But because of other situations surrounding the alcoholism, I was miserable and at wit's end during that whole time.

Now I know it would be a bit different if I had or adopted my own children as a single... but because of that experience, if I want to be 200% honest with myself, I don't think I would be a good candidate for that choice, because I caught a small taste of the vast scope required to be a parent... let alone a single parent.

But for anyone else out there who believes they can handle it and are ready, may I just add my two cents of encouragement... because you have my utmost admiration... and I think one of the most valuable things you can do as a Christian is to raise a child well.

T

Twilight

Hi ladies, hope you don't mind my putting my two cents worth in here. What a great topic! I have a real passion for the subject of adoption because there are just so many desperately needy children out there. Personally, I think the ideal family includes both a Mom and a Dad, coming from one who grew up with a single Mom. I did feel the absence of a father which carried over into my adult life as well. Maybe I'm one of the more sensitive ones, I don't know. Since then, I have really received a lot of healing through my Heavenly Father's love. Having said all that, there are just so many children in need of parenting that one parent would a huge blessing and fill a great need in their lives. So, I would just really recommend praying about it and asking friends with kids all that is involved with being a parent that may not be so obvious to us on the outside looking in. Then just let God lead you.

Another idea is to become a foster parent. I know this is much needed and is a very unselfish undertaking. Although, I'm not sure if there are restrictions based on whether you are single or married. Either way, making a commitment to love and care for a child who is not your own flesh and blood is an awesome precious thing and I believe that as Christians, it is something more of us should consider, even those who can have kids of their own. Personally, I do want to adopt, but when God brings Mr. Right into my life. Blessings and peace out,

T

B

bigfatsasquatch

Joy... I have had a lot of good friendships drift away in the last 5 years or so. You are right... everyone gets tied up with family to the point that friendships become less important. Single life in the thirties + can be hard... it can be lonely.... especially for someone like me that seems to be built for a deeply personal relationship with someone. I hate being single (I am divorced) but I know that at this point in my life I see the potential to grow spiritually.

My two best friends are 26 years old..... (no families yet = free time) Sometimes I wish I had more friends my age but it seems like they are too busy.

Yes I can relate to you.... I think probably most singles our age can.

R

Redeemed_hfx

I am so thankful to have found this thread. Sometimes you feel like you are the only one going through this...when you know it isn't true. However At the moment i have found i LOVE to travel ( which would have been difficult to discover(if at all) with a b/f or a husband). As someone else said, right now is perfect for working on my relationship with the Lord. However i do find i need to meet more single Christian friends.

V

Viva

well i'm only 25 but i thought this topic is interesting... i have heaps of friends who are over 30 or way over 30 and are still single, however they're passion for God is amazing. So it's awesome to see, but i do know that when the doors are closed from the public, they probably feel lonely at times.. I don't know. BUT you know it's these times that really make us practice patience and trust in God that He knows best. :)