Pentecostalism's sketchy origins

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

Polar

You wouldn't believe Moses ... what? turning rods into snakes and parting the sea with it?
Oh that's just without merit.

Moses was not Pentecostal and neither am I. See? Seems Pentecostals just have to view themselves as the major influence of God in the world today, when in fact so much fallacy and harm has come from practices.

You might as well call yourself a Moseinite if you are going to twist it that way. :rolleyes:

P

Polar

You wouldn't believe Moses ... what? turning rods into snakes and parting the sea with it?
As it is, who did those things? The power of God or Moses? never mind

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
No one is called a Pentecostal in scripture. That is a 'coined' name. I practice the gift of tongues. I am not Pentecostal and I have led people to the Lord and I do not get in people's faces about such a misused gift as tongues. Paul said it was the least of the gifts most likely, IMO, because who can tell if it is real or not?

I have herd fake tongues and it raises the hairs on the back of your neck. Discernment please.

I don't how many times I state I believe the gifts are for today. It seems that some people are deaf to the fact that the reason there is so much controversy, is because of the misuse of so many gifts.
nobody was called Methodist or Presbyterian in the bible ... I've heard fake tongues ... I've heard fake prayer and fake preaching, fake singing hymns from a hymn book ... the fact there are fakes proves there is the genuine thing.

P

Polar

they would be Pentecostalists for following through on Paul's instructions means earnestly desiring the gifts especially that ye may prophesy ... I would that ye did all speak in tongues.

Paul never retracted that and the canon of scripture is closed.
Look. I am not going to respond to you anymore along this line of your personal reasoning. Make valid points and I will respond.

You seem to be making a case for being called a Pentecostal when no one single person in scripture is called one. Are you filled with the Holy Spirit and you speak in tongues? GREAT. Me too but I am not a Pentecostal nor do I follow that denom and I have seen enough of the hoopla to convince me much of it is not at all the Holy Spirit.

So, either respond to my actual post or kindly post to someone else since I am neither interested or going to continue to discuss who is Pentecostal in scripture. I mean that.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
It isn't convoluted. It's just you not getting the argument you wanted LOL! I stated I was not talking about the language of angels and yet there you go, as if I did. Not genuine of you at all. :giggle:
You said:

"Please note, I am not talking about the possibility of the language(s) of angels here as there is just one mention of that in scripture I think? but I don't think we can just dismiss that either, but I am not insisting or creating a doctrine about it either."

You're waffling and evading.

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
Look. I am not going to respond to you anymore along this line of your personal reasoning. Make valid points and I will respond.

You seem to be making a case for being called a Pentecostal when no one single person in scripture is called one. Are you filled with the Holy Spirit and you speak in tongues? GREAT. Me too but I am not a Pentecostal nor do I follow that denom and I have seen enough of the hoopla to convince me much of it is not at all the Holy Spirit.

So, either respond to my actual post or kindly post to someone else since I am neither interested or going to continue to discuss who is Pentecostal in scripture. I mean that.
why are you on this thread?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
What are genuine tongues? Are they some heavenly language, or know human languages?
Had the KJV translators consistently used the word "language(s)" we would not even be asking such questions. But one of their decisions was to use different words for the same Greek word, so they sometimes spoke of "tongues" and sometimes of "languages". But even the languages spoken in Heaven are understood by men, so there is no special "heavenly" language. Paul heard words in Heaven which it was not lawful for him to repeat, but he understood them alright. they were probably in Hebrew.

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
Oh that's just without merit.

Moses was not Pentecostal and neither am I. See? Seems Pentecostals just have to view themselves as the major influence of God in the world today, when in fact so much fallacy and harm has come from practices.

You might as well call yourself a Moseinite if you are going to twist it that way. :rolleyes:
like the guy who says "I believe in Jesus ... but I'm not a christian"

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
I think the the title we use to describe the faith is less important than our actual beliefs and practices. Especially today.
Some people don't like the term "Christian" noting that it was first used as a derogatory anyway,and secondly to distance themselves from the Catholic Church- because in some places of the world, if you say "christian" it is virtually indistinguishable to some people from "Catholic".
I've heard pentecostals admit they actually prefer "Apostolic" over "Pentecostal", and I can see why. At the end of the day, all that really matters is if the Church has God or not.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
like the guy who says "I believe in Jesus ... but I'm not a Christian"
Just "butting in" here to say, those who say such a thing somewhat baffle me. Yes, we all know that people are fallible, and in someone's eyes somebody done somebody wrong, just like the song says. So these people who say they follow Christ while at the same time refusing to call themselves Christians, ostensibly because of the way some Christians act, to them I would ask, do you likewise refuse to call yourself a human being? I mean, really, human beings are capable of such heinous acts. And yet I have never heard anyone say, I refuse to call myself a man because of what some men do, or, I refuse to call myself a woman because of what some women do. Butting out now... :D

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Some people don't like the term "Christian" noting that it was first used as a derogatory anyway,
The scriptures teach: "So it was that for a whole year they assembled with the church and taught a great many people. And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch." (Acts 11:26) I don't see anything negative here.

The name took on a negative aspect among unbelievers because the Christians refused to bow to any pagan deities. But the name wasn't first applied in a derogatory way.

At the end of the day, all that really matters is if the Church has God or not.
I agree here but I'd put it another way. A leopard can't change its stripes; you can call a leopard a bear but it's still a leopard.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
RA opines, just like everyone else here. He's giving his opinion, like everyone else.But he tears denominations down, I assume he is against attending church, I don't recall him saying which denomination he sanctions. Some believe the gifts have ceased, some do not. Neither us can know WHEN the gifts will cease. So it's a matter of opinion one way or the other. To then make the huge leap to Pentecost is cult and attendants are demon possessed is ridiculous, utter baloney.
Hi Kayla, they will cease when we are face to face with our Lord and Savior, until then God is as He said He is, the same, yesterday, today and forever.
I'm not sure any "denomination" is totally on track, they were never the intention of the Savior, the early church met in each others homes, where they invited Holy spirit to come, the children leaned relationship with the Father by ministry of Holy Spirit who only speaks what He has been given, and still does.
best wishes

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
So? There are people alive today that God uses that none of us ever heard of. What is your point?

Was Moses Pentecostal? sheesh
Moses was before the Cross

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
All I can say is.....I am the recipient (and beneficiary) of the superior SPIRITUAL GIFT of prophecy. Therefore, by Evmur's own standard of measure, I am an invaluable player on team Pentecostal.

Anyone care to chime in on this?

P

Polar

You said:

"Please note, I am not talking about the possibility of the language(s) of angels here as there is just one mention of that in scripture I think? but I don't think we can just dismiss that either, but I am not insisting or creating a doctrine about it either."

You're waffling and evading.
I've moved on from your opinion. Thank you. I don't think you are wanting to discuss as much as you have to be right no matter what.

We can have a different understanding, but you accuse rather than discuss.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
I've moved on from your opinion. Thank you. I don't think you are wanting to discuss as much as you have to be right no matter what.

We can have a different understanding, but you accuse rather than discuss.
That's fine, I've moved on too. I'm willing to discuss and listen to people who know how to talk straight.