Pet Gamer Peeves

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Monnkai

Senior Member
Mar 18, 2014
2,740
690
113
I have a few Gamer pet peeves! I hate it when people call themselves a gamer and all they do is play Call of Duty! That's not gaming! lol This threads about Pet Peeves related to Gaming (Board games and D&D are included!) If your not a gamer a normal pet peeve is fine too, I don't want to exclude anyone if they need to get something off their chest lol
 
Games with a poor, shallow excuse for a storyline. If you want to play a game just for the gameplay that is fine. If you want to play a game for the story that is fine. If you try to play a game for the story and it turns out to just be an excuse, a prefab story just so they can say it has a story, that is a waste of time.
 
Those who brag / boost about records, arrogance.
I hate it too, to a certain point. For example, if you beat Guilty Gear on the hardest difficulty I think you have every right to brag. I have yet to meet someone who can, but I'm sure there out there
 
Games with a poor, shallow excuse for a storyline. If you want to play a game just for the gameplay that is fine. If you want to play a game for the story that is fine. If you try to play a game for the story and it turns out to just be an excuse, a prefab story just so they can say it has a story, that is a waste of time.
Example: Most Call of Duty game's lol
 
I hate it too, to a certain point. For example, if you beat Guilty Gear on the hardest difficulty I think you have every right to brag. I have yet to meet someone who can, but I'm sure there out there
Yea I understand, however im sure you are aware there is a difference between being proud of your achievements & looking down on others as if you're better than them.
 
My pet peeve.... is my own cut-throat competitiveness. :p Yup, I get on my own darn nerves. I grew up with 5 brothers who were immensely competitive in every game and boy, when they gloated, they made you feel like an idiot. They conditioned me to WIN, WIN, WIN!! Hahaha!!

Truthfully though, the Lord has been reminding me to actually PLAY a game and enjoy it, rather than making "WINNING AT ALL COSTS!" my only agenda. I'm still very competitive, and winning is still my focus. But I'm getting less and less anxious and disgruntled when I don't get first place and can even laugh at myself now. And I'm finding it makes me happy when someone else is happy to win. :rolleyes:

I guess we're never too old to learn, huh? LOL ;)

08e9242c7a5715eeb7e70750e8c656c0.jpg
 
My pet peeve.... is my own cut-throat competitiveness. :p Yup, I get on my own darn nerves. I grew up with 5 brothers who were immensely competitive in every game and boy, when they gloated, they made you feel like an idiot. They conditioned me to WIN, WIN, WIN!! Hahaha!!

Truthfully though, the Lord has been reminding me to actually PLAY a game and enjoy it, rather than making "WINNING AT ALL COSTS!" my only agenda. I'm still very competitive, and winning is still my focus. But I'm getting less and less anxious and disgruntled when I don't get first place and can even laugh at myself now. And I'm finding it makes me happy when someone else is happy to win. :rolleyes:

I guess we're never too old to learn, huh? LOL ;)

View attachment 162699
LOL When I saw these meme I was sitting there laughing for like ten whole minutes you gonna kill me XD
 
  • Like
Reactions: AuntieAnt
My gaming pet peev is when people trash talk people of lower skill, i don't care how good you are remember where you were once were
 
Here's one I'll bet most gamers can relate to. I'm sure my own kids felt like pulling their hair out by the roots trying to teach their ol' maw new games. ;) LOL


new games.jpg
 
My biggest peeve is obnoxious chatters on online games. I play minecraft a lot and it can be difficult to enjoy with ragey 8 - 16 year olds
 
When I play I play for the story. But for some reason I almost always find myself getting sidetracked by stuff and game mechanics. Because you never know when you will need that armor you picked up from that secret place, or just a little more healing potions, or... I started this game for the story but I find I have spent more time than I want to admit on finding stuff, getting money, leveling up, etc. At the end of the game I beat the final boss with a whole lot of stuff that I never used.
 
My pet peeve.... is my own cut-throat competitiveness. :p Yup, I get on my own darn nerves. I grew up with 5 brothers who were immensely competitive in every game and boy, when they gloated, they made you feel like an idiot. They conditioned me to WIN, WIN, WIN!! Hahaha!!

Truthfully though, the Lord has been reminding me to actually PLAY a game and enjoy it, rather than making "WINNING AT ALL COSTS!" my only agenda. I'm still very competitive, and winning is still my focus. But I'm getting less and less anxious and disgruntled when I don't get first place and can even laugh at myself now. And I'm finding it makes me happy when someone else is happy to win. :rolleyes:

I guess we're never too old to learn, huh? LOL ;)

View attachment 162699

My family cannot play a board game together for this reason. For real, to this day we have not been able to play Monopoly without my mom getting up and walking off going on about how she hates the game with cuss words and all : p
Wish they could just see a game as a fun way to spend time together and not a competition : p

And with video games, I actually do have a few I guess. I hate games where like you have to just keep doing something over and over until you finally luck out and win. Thats actually a big reason why I hate action games, and prefer stuff like RPGs. If you are struggling to get further, you can just take some time to level up and come back. But with action games you just have to do it again and again until things finally work out.
I like to get into the fantasy of a game, you know, like become a part of it and junk. When you have to keep doing something over and over, you lose the fantasy and remember that youre just playing a video game. I think it ruins games.

I like games with a softer difficulty level for that reason. I dont find any pleasure in extreme difficulties, and I can really enjoy an easy game IF the game is made well : p
 
One pet peeve is people taking too seriously. It's been a few years since I last played one, but my step dad plays shooting games. He plays online, and always curses at the other players. Yelling expletives and telling them the "four letter word" themselves, along with calling them cheaters and other things. He doesn't like dying in those games.
 
Things that really get at me in online games- annoying little kids screaming and yelling dumb things like stephanies issues, people making fun of others and calling them names in game because they are lower skill and want to boost their own gaming ego, people calling others cheaters when they lose people rage quitting and leaving in a hiff.

In fact the other day I was battling another person on pokemon in an amazing online battle simulator called pokemon showdown I like to use the pokemon chansey and named her not a chance because the way I use her if you do it right she is nearly unbeatable the guy said I was the most annoying person he ever met online and kept spamming im reporting you because he couldn't beat my chansey.

I responded in a polite way of course but this is a good example of such an issue. But on the up side you know that you know how to use a pokemon when the other person spams reporting when they cant beat it lol
 
Things that really get at me in online games- annoying little kids screaming and yelling dumb things like stephanies issues, people making fun of others and calling them names in game because they are lower skill and want to boost their own gaming ego, people calling others cheaters when they lose people rage quitting and leaving in a hiff.

In fact the other day I was battling another person on pokemon in an amazing online battle simulator called pokemon showdown I like to use the pokemon chansey and named her not a chance because the way I use her if you do it right she is nearly unbeatable the guy said I was the most annoying person he ever met online and kept spamming im reporting you because he couldn't beat my chansey.

I responded in a polite way of course but this is a good example of such an issue. But on the up side you know that you know how to use a pokemon when the other person spams reporting when they can't beat it lol
I enjoy the pokemon games. I'm actually getting the new one today. (Probably Moon) I like to just play the story line. I'm not too competitive with it. I know some people are really into it. (All that EV stuff makes my head spin! To much Math!) You sound like a skilled player. My friend told me he watched some professionals play (Pokemon Professionals! Its a thing! lol) and a good portion of the strategy is constantly switching out pokemon and taking advantage of type weaknesses.
 
One pet peeve is people taking too seriously. It's been a few years since I last played one, but my step dad plays shooting games. He plays online, and always curses at the other players. Yelling expletives and telling them the "four letter word" themselves, along with calling them cheaters and other things. He doesn't like dying in those games.
I've slowly been getting used to substituting my swear words with non swear words. If I play a particularly hard game I might let a swear word slip but I've been getting better at it. I know exactly what you mean. My friends swear like truck drivers...I need more Christian friends lol.
 
When I play I play for the story. But for some reason I almost always find myself getting sidetracked by stuff and game mechanics. Because you never know when you will need that armor you picked up from that secret place, or just a little more healing potions, or... I started this game for the story but I find I have spent more time than I want to admit on finding stuff, getting money, leveling up, etc. At the end of the game I beat the final boss with a whole lot of stuff that I never used.
I agree. Storyline is key to a good game, but you know its a really good game if you get lost in the mechanics of it. I play Disgaea and I find myself constantly making new characters and really playing the heck out the game without progressing the storyline. I deem it a true waste of time, but at least its fun lol
 
Things that really get at me in online games- annoying little kids screaming and yelling dumb things like stephanies issues, people making fun of others and calling them names in game because they are lower skill and want to boost their own gaming ego, people calling others cheaters when they lose people rage quitting and leaving in a huff.

Blain, I have a neighbor who yelled his lungs out every once in awhile, just quick short bursts of profanity usually in the early evenings. Initially, I wasn't sure if he were crying out in pain or if he had maybe Tourette's or something. Finally, I asked our maintenance man about it. He replied, "That's me yelling." :rolleyes:

Turns out, he plays games after work to relax :p ...but gets mad as a hornet if he loses. :mad:

He promised he would try to keep it down from now on. LOLOL!!! ;)

angry_gamer.jpg


My family cannot play a board game together for this reason. For real, to this day we have not been able to play Monopoly without my mom getting up and walking off going on about how she hates the game with cuss words and all : p

Oh your poor dear mother!!! How my heart goes out to her. :rolleyes: heehee

Not only my ornery brothers, but my clever kids as they were growing up would see how far they could agitate me by completely blocking me in Parcheesi, swindling me in Monopoly by ganging up together, trying to trick me with made-up words in Scrabble, and agreeing to "house rules" that I was not privy to. And oh how they'd laugh and gloat about it. So I came up with my own tactic.

And today my adult children love to tell people about their mother's reputation for playing board games. It goes like this: "If you put Mama in a predicament with no options of escape, Mama will create her own option."

Here's Mama's "house rule." :D ROFL!!!

Daniel-Craig-Knocking-Over-Monopoly-Board-SNL.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:
When I play I play for the story. But for some reason I almost always find myself getting sidetracked by stuff and game mechanics. Because you never know when you will need that armor you picked up from that secret place, or just a little more healing potions, or... I started this game for the story but I find I have spent more time than I want to admit on finding stuff, getting money, leveling up, etc. At the end of the game I beat the final boss with a whole lot of stuff that I never used.

RPG games are ultimately logistics and inventory management. they're industrial engineering games, in the core gameplay: solving network optimization problems and upgrading nodes.

that's what makes them hard to put down for a long time and pick right back up again - there's all this supply-chain and networking overhead to functioning efficiently in the game environment that you have to relearn.. it contributes to the level of immersion i think, too, because you have so much invested both mentally and in terms of how much micro-managing you do to optimize your character. so they are also easier to spend a lot of time on.