Pet Peeves with other Christians, including myself

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Rut Roh, I reckon that I am going to grrrrrr a few people, but it is just a harmless thread.

1. Arrogance and Superiority...ugh ugh ugh

2. Mocking, slander, character assassination, and gossip

3. Lacking MERCY, kindness, compassion, humility or empathy, not imagining what it would like to be on the receiving end of the same behavior and words that they themselves spew

4. Cynicism or conspiracy theories

5. Fault finding, thinking the worst of each other, being hard on one another and holding grudges, especially knowing we all have weaknesses and we all need Jesus and His Holy perfection.

6. Assumptions...what if you are wrong?

7. The them and they talk, like they do this or they do that. We are not, and I'm reminding myself, the authority on the hearts of others.

8. Not laughing, lol. It bugs me when I take myself too seriously, and think too much. I get on my nerves, lol. We all need to laugh, smile, and enjoy these precious lives and others in HIM a bit more.

9. Cliques, [email protected] High School, lol. Opposes what we are called to.

10. A fragile ego, been guilty of that too. He has been helping me with it, but dang it, it is still so irritating, lol.

11. Not enough Him and too much us against them, when it is ALL about Him.

12. Threads like this that goes on and on and on... lol. I added this for those who already quit reading because of the bazillion word count, lol.

13. Hypocrisy...been guilty of this too, probably even in this thread, lolol.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Gossip couched as prayer requests.

"You should pray for brother Johnny, he's been going through..." and we talk about brother Johnny and all the stuff he is mixed up in, then we go our ways and never get around to praying for brother Johnny.

Quote from a Steve Camp song:
We all heard about a brother who was slipping away
We passed around his problems like hor d'oeuvres on a tray
Some of them were rumor, some of them were fact
As we went to lift him up we just prayed him in the back

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Gossip couched as prayer requests.

"You should pray for brother Johnny, he's been going through..." and we talk about brother Johnny and all the stuff he is mixed up in, then we go our ways and never get around to praying for brother Johnny.

Quote from a Steve Camp song:
I want so bad to like this with a useful reaction because it is my response. BUT... one of your pet peeves is too many notifications of too many likes too generously given, lol. Dang it Lynx, do u realize how hard this is...hahaha. Well anyway, very useful. I concur. 😀

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
That post about likes was facetious.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
That post about likes was facetious.
Hahaha whew, I am so glad to know this. Truly, a relief. Clearly, I have issues, lol, and not afraid to use them. See i need to refer to number 8, Haha.

R

RodB65

CharliRenee, too many likes???
Are you serious?
Or
Are you serious!
:LOL:

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Pet peeves with other Christians... let me count the ways....

One main peeve: people who claim to be Christian, have a fair bit of Bible knowledge, and demonstrate very little of the fruit of the Spirit.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Pet peeves with other Christians... let me count the ways....

One main peeve: people who claim to be Christian, have a fair bit of Bible knowledge, and demonstrate very little of the fruit of the Spirit.
Uh huh, :), I agree 100%. Lord Help us!!!

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
Christian cliches that everyone uses but no one could explain ( esp. to a non-believer).

The group think where everyone is like, oh that's so good without giving any feedback on why they find it good.

The general squashing of disagreement and questions, way too quick to put people in the unspiritual / backsliding / rebellious / troublemaking category when they have a legitimately hard time with aspects of God's character or actions.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Christian cliches that everyone uses but no one could explain ( esp. to a non-believer).

The group think where everyone is like, oh that's so good without giving any feedback on why they find it good.

The general squashing of disagreement and questions, way too quick to put people in the unspiritual / backsliding / rebellious / troublemaking category when they have a legitimately hard time with aspects of God's character or actions.
Have me curious, what are some Christian cliches?

I especially agree with...

Also..I don't like the thats good or that's not good without any more feedback. I mean usually it goes without saying but as you said in a group, so it is nice to have edifying clarity.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
people that make judgements about things they've never bothered to try and understand. Like how can an atheist make a judgement about things that cannot be measured? Astrology used to be considered a science.

7seasrekeyed

oh goody...let me wade in here

Christians in general or just the ones here?

ok well...as for here, it's gotta be Christians complaining about other Christians here while doing exactly what it is they are complaining about. I mean EXACTLY. and then denying it when it is addressed.

on that note, Christians who make a thread about how mean someone was to them here ( while forgetting that they basically begged for it) and people come on board and coddle them and coo coo to them and tell them it's ok and they soak it up, puff out their chest, snap their suspenders and never ever grow up.

generally speaking, it would be people who gossip and disguise it as prayer requests as has already been said

there's more but you know...all the usual crackers..er characters :cautious::whistle:

you covered it pretty good there Charli!

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
people that make judgements about things they've never bothered to try and understand. Like how can an atheist make a judgement about things that cannot be measured? Astrology used to be considered a science.
I did not know that about astrology.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
oh goody...let me wade in here

Christians in general or just the ones here?

ok well...as for here, it's gotta be Christians complaining about other Christians here while doing exactly what it is they are complaining about. I mean EXACTLY. and then denying it when it is addressed.

on that note, Christians who make a thread about how mean someone was to them here ( while forgetting that they basically begged for it) and people come on board and coddle them and coo coo to them and tell them it's ok and they soak it up, puff out their chest, snap their suspenders and never ever grow up.

generally speaking, it would be people who gossip and disguise it as prayer requests as has already been said

there's more but you know...all the usual crackers..er characters :cautious::whistle:

you covered it pretty good there Charli!
Oh no, those things all sound like hypocrisy to me. I guess we all are guilty of that, huh, sis, from time to time? I was speaking of Christians, including, myself. I bug myself too, lol. I know that I desperately need His perfection. I am so glad He is establishing us.

You are right about how we should have thicker skins, man oh man. The sanctification squashes our egos, huh? He brings us to His feet where we belong. I guess that is why we should put on the plates of righteousness, guarding our hearts. We have to get over ourselves to get under Him. Huh? I recently read a post that read...

Are you a victim to what they said or did or to your internal response. Whoa, I needed that, cus I was living in the wound rather than in His victory and that is no good. He has a way though of establishing us and getting us where we need. Praise be to Him. Dying to self can be so challenging, sister. Hugs.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Loving sincerely as we are called and growing up requires dying to self is something I am realizing because there is a whole lot of me and not enough Him... I wanted to add that but my edit time ran out, sis...ugh. :). ♡

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014

You backsliding, rebellious troublemaker, you! I'm gonna have to pull out the cliche of Romans 16:17 on you.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
Have me curious, what are some Christian cliches?
Maybe it's more Christian lingo that no one else uses, but some examples:

Love on people (seriously no one else uses that terminology).
(In the singles world) I'm not ready yet ; that's why God hasn't brought me a spouse.
It's a fallen world.
Hate the sin, love the sinner.
God won't give you more than you can handle
It just wasn't God's will

I'm sure there are more, but in all honesty I guess what really bugs me is you have to learn a different language to understand church and a lot of christian events, but most churches don't have a good way to introduce people to such concepts. While I feel like I'm fluent in the language, even thinking about trying to translate it for those outside church can trip me up.