Pet Peeves with other Christians, including myself

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
You backsliding, rebellious troublemaker, you! I'm gonna have to pull out the cliche of Romans 16:17 on you.
How dare you Romans 16:17 me :eek:

I see your Romans 16:17 and I raise you Jude 22 :p

My whole point being that the people we should be applying Jude 22 to (those wavering in faith) we're much more likely to group in with the Romans 16:17 crowd (divisive people).

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
How dare you Romans 16:17 me :eek:

I see your Romans 16:17 and I raise you Jude 22 :p

My whole point being that the people we should be applying Jude 22 to (those wavering in faith) we're much more likely to group in with the Romans 16:17 crowd (divisive people).
Oh yeah? OH YEAH?! Well my Romans 16:17 trumps your Jude 22 and I'll throw in an out-of-context II Titus 2:23 for good measure. SO THERE! (And don't make me break out all the verses in Proverbs about avoiding fools...)

*Lynx sticks his nose in the air and struts away.

And that's another of my pet peeves. People who argue about scripture for the sake of winning arguments and feeling good about themselves.

7seasrekeyed

Oh yeah? OH YEAH?! Well my Romans 16:17 trumps your Jude 22 and I'll throw in an out-of-context II Titus 2:23 for good measure. SO THERE! (And don't make me break out all the verses in Proverbs about avoiding fools...)

*Lynx sticks his nose in the air and struts away.

And that's another of my pet peeves. People who argue about scripture for the sake of winning arguments and feeling good about themselves.
or deny that is says what it says because if you only quote half of the verse, it says what you want it to say o_O therefore you have made your point

7seasrekeyed

Oh no, those things all sound like hypocrisy to me. I guess we all are guilty of that, huh, sis, from time to time? I was speaking of Christians, including, myself. I bug myself too, lol. I know that I desperately need His perfection. I am so glad He is establishing us.

You are right about how we should have thicker skins, man oh man. The sanctification squashes our egos, huh? He brings us to His feet where we belong. I guess that is why we should put on the plates of righteousness, guarding our hearts. We have to get over ourselves to get under Him. Huh? I recently read a post that read...

Are you a victim to what they said or did or to your internal response. Whoa, I needed that, cus I was living in the wound rather than in His victory and that is no good. He has a way though of establishing us and getting us where we need. Praise be to Him. Dying to self can be so challenging, sister. Hugs.
I guess maybe we could call it all hypocrisy any time a Christian says but does not do? although quite a few like to toss 'Pharisee' around :unsure: honestly I just hate that. there is not a one of us that has not played the part of a Pharisee at one time or another and it seems it sounds so 'biblical' to call someone a Pharisee. or even better (reverse better?), say 'well if Jesus called someone a hypocrite I can too

we do need to get over ourselves. working on it!! can't do it alone....often saying 'dear God please help me!

heard the old expression 'the only problem with a living sacrifice is that it keeps crawling off the altar' :cautious:

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
My biggest pet peeve, is that Christians sometimes think they have to have an interpretation for every scripture. Some scripture has been locked until the end times.

Dan. 12:4 "But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased."

Everyone rushes to make a determination about what scripture says and therefore draw faulty conclusions. I have learned it is better to refrain from interpreting each and every line of scripture. I feel some of our translations also have been tampered with by people with agendas. The word is spiritually discerned, so let the HS teach you. :cool:

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
How i feel about hypocrisy...
I guess maybe we could call it all hypocrisy any time a Christian says but does not do? although quite a few like to toss 'Pharisee' around :unsure: honestly I just hate that. there is not a one of us that has not played the part of a Pharisee at one time or another and it seems it sounds so 'biblical' to call someone a Pharisee. or even better (reverse better?), say 'well if Jesus called someone a hypocrite I can too

we do need to get over ourselves. working on it!! can't do it alone....often saying 'dear God please help me!

heard the old expression 'the only problem with a living sacrifice is that it keeps crawling off the altar' :cautious:
Never heard that before, Sis, (wish I could write you, dang your settings, haha, jk, no worries), but this expression us so spot on...

'the only problem with a living sacrifice is that it keeps crawling off the altar'

Sis, yes we all struggle with that, for sure. Even in this post I was hypocritical. I need His kind of true love desperately. Thanks be to Him, He is our portion and He will get us home, and make our journey so much more meaningful.

Calling people out, admonishing eachother is ok, and helpful too, what we are called to, in my opinion. As long as our hearts and delivery are in the right place and that we make it clear where the hypocrisy or whatever the offense lies is so hopefully we can all grow. I am open to correction and respect when others are too. I find so often it is a one sided thing, give it but unwilling to receive it, ugh ugh ugh, but again what others do is between them and our Lord. But it does erk me, if I am being honest, dang it, lol.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
My biggest pet peeve, is that Christians sometimes think they have to have an interpretation for every scripture. Some scripture has been locked until the end times.

Dan. 12:4 "But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased."

Everyone rushes to make a determination about what scripture says and therefore draw faulty conclusions. I have learned it is better to refrain from interpreting each and every line of scripture. I feel some of our translations also have been tampered with by people with agendas. The word is spiritually discerned, so let the HS teach you. :cool:
Must remember this always...

Everyone rushes to make a determination about what scripture says and therefore draw faulty conclusions

and...

I feel some of our translations also have been tampered with by people with agendas. The word is spiritually discerned, so let the HS teach you

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Those who can rebuke but can not be rebuked should lose a crown, hahaha.

@cinder, lol, I always say love on people, lol. I might not anymore, Hahaha. God gives us more than we can handle in my opinion, so we will lean into Him. Rut Roh leaning into Him is another cliche, huh? Lol

7seasrekeyed

How i feel about hypocrisy...

Never heard that before, Sis, (wish I could write you, dang your settings, haha, jk, no worries), but this expression us so spot on...

'the only problem with a living sacrifice is that it keeps crawling off the altar'

Sis, yes we all struggle with that, for sure. Even in this post I was hypocritical. I need His kind of true love desperately. Thanks be to Him, He is our portion and He will get us home, and make our journey so much more meaningful.

Calling people out, admonishing eachother is ok, and helpful too, what we are called to, in my opinion. As long as our hearts and delivery are in the right place and that we make it clear where the hypocrisy or whatever the offense lies is so hopefully we can all grow. I am open to correction and respect when others are too. I find so often it is a one sided thing, give it but unwilling to receive it, ugh ugh ugh, but again what others do is between them and our Lord. But it does erk me, if I am being honest, dang it, lol.

well hang on now

I don't think talking about these things is hypocrisy

we don't all do all these things and there are people who really do wear the clothes of a pharisee and I think it's ok to talk about it

admonishment can absolutely be from the Lord and usually those who give it, (legitimately) are those who have either accepted it and do so with a heart in the right place or those who do accept correction from God to begin with.

ha...you should hear what God said to me once...by directing me to a certain scripture. I was reading and that verse hit me right where I live. I wasn't insulted or angry because I knew it was God's Spirit saying 'excuse me please, but this here is you little girl' I was more of a girl then than I am now but I remember it so well and it still fits often enough so what does that say about me? or anyone?

we easily go astray. it is our nature without God and it rears up even when we know better. believe me, I can have an attitude which usually comes along as "I don't care anyway' which is nuts because of course I do care and even if I don't care at the moment, I sure 'nuff WILL care soon enough.

mind you, I have also had some very hateful and untrue 'feedback' as well. it hurts and I am actually dealing with some personally at this time...not here.

but God is GOOD!

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
well hang on now

I don't think talking about these things is hypocrisy

we don't all do all these things and there are people who really do wear the clothes of a pharisee and I think it's ok to talk about it

admonishment can absolutely be from the Lord and usually those who give it, (legitimately) are those who have either accepted it and do so with a heart in the right place or those who do accept correction from God to begin with.

ha...you should hear what God said to me once...by directing me to a certain scripture. I was reading and that verse hit me right where I live. I wasn't insulted or angry because I knew it was God's Spirit saying 'excuse me please, but this here is you little girl' I was more of a girl then than I am now but I remember it so well and it still fits often enough so what does that say about me? or anyone?

we easily go astray. it is our nature without God and it rears up even when we know better. believe me, I can have an attitude which usually comes along as "I don't care anyway' which is nuts because of course I do care and even if I don't care at the moment, I sure 'nuff WILL care soon enough.

mind you, I have also had some very hateful and untrue 'feedback' as well. it hurts and I am actually dealing with some personally at this time...not here.

but God is GOOD!
Oh don't you know it, I, not too long ago, was stewing and lamenting, obsessively, over unkind words and opinions. I began seeking out scriptures on how we are suppose to love one another. I literally put in mercy and loving-kindness in the search in my bible and in google. Actually, I kept changing the words hoping to find just the right scripture to heal my wound, by confirming how wrong they were. Hahaha, boy did He give me the what for. My healing needed to be outside of them, regardless if they are right or wrong. I didn't know what I had done so i went down a hole trying to understand, trying to fix me and the situation. Again He said, can you just love and forgive them and let me deal with them? Exodus 14:14.. I feel He wanted me to know... I love them too, my Child. Difficult people are a blessing because they grow our capacity to love and forgive, regardless how we are treated. He also reminded me that hateful or mean feedback isn't always true or justified just because it was expressed by a Christian. He keeps saying, in the wilderness, come to my feet, it isn't about you or them, you all belong to me.

On that note, I respect that you didn't just accept the hateful words as truth, that their takes and reactions are accurate. I think that is a part of discernment. If we jumped to every rebuke thinking we need to take to heart and grow in the way others see fit, rather than the way Christ does, sheeeesh, we would be chopped up into pieces. I know because I have put myself on the chopping block rather than on the alter as a living sacrifice. I mean sometimes people don't want you to grow, they just don't like us and want us to go away for reasons we may never know. Oh well, no worries. Just walk away, loving and forgiving them from a far.

Now with all that said, to know you are being treated with hateful unkindness makes me want to give the someone or someones the what for. He tells us to turn the other cheek but He also tells us to take precious care of our family. I understand it hurts, sometimes way down to the core. I am glad you shared that, it helps to know others understand and also so I can pray with you, Sis. ♡

Oct 12, 2012
Have me curious, what are some Christian cliches?

I especially agree with...

The general squashing of disagreement and questions, way too quick to put people in the unspiritual / backsliding / rebellious / troublemaking category when they have a legitimately hard time with aspects of God's character or actions.

Also..I don't like the thats good or that's not good without any more feedback. I mean usually it goes without saying but as you said in a group, so it is nice to have edifying clarity.
That's good!

Well, ummm cause, a maybe, eeeeerrrrr; because ggguuuuurrrrr? What was said?? 😮

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
I cant stand cliques but my biggest struggle has become dealing with weak christians and whiny ones. Ppl refusing to truly grow but wanna look like they r growing..and then telling u that u have a problem

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I cant stand cliques but my biggest struggle has become dealing with weak christians and whiny ones. Ppl refusing to truly grow but wanna look like they r growing..and then telling u that u have a problem
Growth is such a struggle with most of us, for sure. I mean like the other day when you were addressing homelessness, that expressed the kind of selflessness that to me shines His Glory. I think His glory requires dying to self, and dying to self requires action and thought. I suppose when we are growing, truly growing, our identity is in Him, not in others or ourselves. Plus, I think when we are truly humble, (which I use to say I was, haha, the opposite of being humble), we don't spend so much time focusing on where we belong with people or how they and them are wrong or even striving to grow. He loves us and makes it very clear what He wants from us, our undying love, trust and surrender. In doing that, we will truly grow.

Your response made me think of this quote that was just brought to my attention, that I am still learning viscerally, thanks be to Him. Screenshot_20190131-101704_Google.jpg

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
We can be thankful, Sis, that His strength is perfected in our weakness, huh? We must walk in His victory, not ours. Lord, help us, even if it hurts, all for Your Glory.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Rut Roh, I reckon that I am going to grrrrrr a few people, but it is just a harmless thread.

1. Arrogance and Superiority...ugh ugh ugh

2. Mocking, slander, character assassination, and gossip

3. Lacking MERCY, kindness, compassion, humility or empathy, not imagining what it would like to be on the receiving end of the same behavior and words that they themselves spew

4. Cynicism or conspiracy theories

5. Fault finding, thinking the worst of each other, being hard on one another and holding grudges, especially knowing we all have weaknesses and we all need Jesus and His Holy perfection.

6. Assumptions...what if you are wrong?

7. The them and they talk, like they do this or they do that. We are not, and I'm reminding myself, the authority on the hearts of others.

8. Not laughing, lol. It bugs me when I take myself too seriously, and think too much. I get on my nerves, lol. We all need to laugh, smile, and enjoy these precious lives and others in HIM a bit more.

9. Cliques, [email protected] High School, lol. Opposes what we are called to.

10. A fragile ego, been guilty of that too. He has been helping me with it, but dang it, it is still so irritating, lol.

11. Not enough Him and too much us against them, when it is ALL about Him.

12. Threads like this that goes on and on and on... lol. I added this for those who already quit reading because of the bazillion word count, lol.

13. Hypocrisy...been guilty of this too, probably even in this thread, lolol.
I think my favorite one you listed is Number 11....I at least got that far....lol

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
I think the fact that we forget we are ALL in the same boat called SINNERS IN NEED OF A SAVIOR. That half think the other half are headed to hell when the fact is without our Savior we are ALL headed to hell.

Lack of kindness, mercy, love for one another and the lack of being able to LISTEN to one another. Forgetting that we are ALL on a journey and some of us may be further along than another but it doesn't mean that the other one isn't on the journey so a little grace/mercy goes a long way in our thought process of one another.

M

Miri

Pet peeves, when Christians leave their gun at the door,
but enter with a Rottweiler. Lol

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I think the fact that we forget we are ALL in the same boat called SINNERS IN NEED OF A SAVIOR. That half think the other half are headed to hell when the fact is without our Savior we are ALL headed to hell.

Lack of kindness, mercy, love for one another and the lack of being able to LISTEN to one another. Forgetting that we are ALL on a journey and some of us may be further along than another but it doesn't mean that the other one isn't on the journey so a little grace/mercy goes a long way in our thought process of one another.
Couldn't agree more, Sis. Thanks be to Him, we have Him. We also are given each other, whom He also loves. We need to be good stewards of our faith and of our Loves. You nailed it with the Listening.