(POLL) What Is Christmas?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

What is Christmas?

• A time to be merry and give

• A time where companies make most their sales

• A time to believe in Santa Clause

• The day Jesus Christ was born in Bethlehem

• It is a Pagan holiday

• It's a mixture of things above

• It is what you make it

• I don't know

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

7seasrekeyed

people seem to ignore the angels that appeared to the shepherds...a heavenly party and celebration...about the birth of our Savior!

Christmas is not pagan

frankly, I find the attitudes of some towards Christmas as pagan

so stay at home and pout

bah humbug :giggle:

Aug 12, 2013
Some other things of Pagan origins...
Names of the days of the week
Wedding rings
Most of what we see in a wedding ceremony
Soulmates
Easter
Just to name a few...

And this is the center issue i take with those eager to rant against Christmas. Your life is filled with things of pagan origin, but when those other areas are brought into question the ranters suddenly become silent. It's easy to play that role when you think you're being spiritual and evading something easy, but when it requires you to, daily, change your entire life around, and there's no one to hear you make a big deal about it, suddenly these 'pagan origins' aren't so important. I've yet to see a Single, Solitary 'anti-Christmas' ranter even Attempt to live their life by removing 100% of 'pagan origin' areas in their life. Why? Because it's a full lifestyle change that's that's personal and requires genuine sacrifice and not a public display of your own spiritual enlightenment with no real sacrifice.
Until the day i meet someone who makes a genuine effort to discover and remove every daily pagan influence then all i hear is people eager for attention.
actually, everything you just named, I don't support those pagan things either. So I am not just ranting about Christmas. There are a lot of things

Aug 12, 2013
people seem to ignore the angels that appeared to the shepherds...a heavenly party and celebration...about the birth of our Savior!

Christmas is not pagan

so stay at home and pout

do you know why people put up trees, specifically that kind, and use balls, and a star at the top, and lights, and such? there's meanings and reasons how those started and its not about Jesus being born

Lighthearted

Oct 17, 2016
I think Christmas is ultimately what we each choose to make it. I agree with Dino that it's a celebration of Christ's incarnation.
I decorate because decorations are cheerful and festive. Giving a gift is symbolic to the wise men bringing gifts fit for a King. It is a time to share the blessings God has given us and share the good news. Many celebrated when they heard that their Messiah, their Savior, their King had been born.

Poinsetta

Nov 24, 2018
Looks like we are tied in the poll, we need more votes. For a final word.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
I celebrate Christ's birth every day. as for the Christmas holiday, His birth is emphasized a little more. my family gets together on Christmas Eve. We have a meal together. we talk. we laugh. we watch a movie. we pray together thanking God for His mercy and grace. after, we open presents. just another way to love on each other.

Christmas Day is a lazy day for us. when I was single, my parents and I would stay home and lounge around.

last year was my 1st Christmas Day as a married woman. we decided to start a new tradition and go to the Chinese Buffett lol.

Placid

Sep 27, 2016
Hi,
This is a rather good discussion with honest opinions. I would like to submit this poem that you may copy and use if you desire.

Merry Christmas

"The night before Christmas and all through the house, not a creature was stirring not even a mouse The children were nestled all snug in their beds while visions of sugarplums danced in their heads."

As I began thinking of all that goes on around Christmas, the time we have looked for so long, Of the brightly decked stores which, after today, would pack up their Christmas and store it away.

The lights tho' would glitter until the New Year, a symbol of Christmas, of joy and good cheer. Now the greetings are over, the carols all gone, the concerts, the parties, just memories live on.

But then Christmas Day we've awaited so long, when the joy of that morning is 'happy as song.' We wake to the patter of anxious, wee feet as they head to the room where the tree stands so neat

With its boughs well adorned with tinsel and light, no end to the sparkle of icicles bright. And then to the bedroom these little feet run to wake Mom and Dad to join in the fun.

With eager excitement we all make our way to the tree, and the gifts we can open today. Yes, I thought of the Joy that this morning brings, and of Christmas dinner, of friends and good things.

I looked out the window and into the night. The moon rode in splendor, the stars shone so bright, And my thoughts turned to something far, far away, that's remembered so widely on this Special Day.

Which one of those stars that are shining so bright guided the Wisemen that first Christmas night On the long journey that took them to see the little Boy Jesus, the Savior to be.

Oh yes, and the angels, how they did sing to the shepherds proclaiming that Christ, the new King Was born in a manger there in Bethlehem, to bring Peace on earth, goodwill to all men.

Of Joseph and Mary, and Jesus, who lay in that little stable mid cattle and hay. Oh how humbly Christ came from His heavenly throne to seek us, to save us, to make us His own.

And I said, "Thank You Lord, for this vision so clear of the first Christmas scene in that wonderful year When You looked down to earth from Your throne up above and sent us Your Son as a token of LOVE."

That all those in darkness may see the great light, that the lame be healed and the wrong be made right For all those who trust Him, God's Children can be. This promise still holds for you and for me.

Then my thoughts turned to the scene of the Cross, where this same Jesus had suffered such loss At the hands of the ones that He came to save, but they treated Him only to death, and the grave.

But then Easter Sunday we celebrate too, because this same Jesus had done something new. He rose from the grave that all mankind might see, by His Power and His Spirit He can set people free.

Yes, from Christmas to Easter was the way Jesus went, He came for that purpose, from God He was sent. And again I gave thanks to our Father above, who gave Jesus for Christmas, --- His great Gift of LOVE.
Blessings

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Well, many years ago, (on a dark and snowy night), my family was having a Christmas party when my cousin and I were both very little boys. And I mean about me 7 and him 5. They were his parents, and they claim to be Christians and they even teach a multitude of children from their chapel/church of thousands of people. They throw Christmas plays every year for decades.

Well, I never EVER fell for the Santa clause junk though people tried to convince me and I hated going to Christmas parks. Then I always found other kids around my age saying Santa is real and why they need to be good and such. I told them Santa wasn't real. Barely anyone believed me until their parents told them. I told my cousin he wasn't real over and over for couple years. He was so upset with me, that he yelled as loud as I had ever seen him in his life "I know Santa is real!" I asked "how can you be so sure?" He said "Because my parents tell me that!" I kind of laughed and said "They're lying to you." He said "My parents would NEVER lie to me!" Then I asked him, "Have I ever lied to you?" He answered no. Then I saw his parents over across the end of the room by the kitchen, they asked him to follow his parents to another room. A few minutes later, they came back out and he had a frown on his face. I asked him "What's wrong? did you get spanked for yelling?" He said "Santa isn't real..." I said "So who are you going to believe next time? Me or your parents who lied to you?"

Cruel, but I wasn't saved. That shows me, I don't want my little kids becoming sad like that from me telling them lies. It isn't worth all the fake fun to me. It's simple stupidity in a lie.
I never told my daughter that Santa was real. One day, she was about 6 or 7 and she asked me if there was really a Santa Clause. I asked her a question instead "Do you think that the Easter Bunny is real?" She said no. Smart kid.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
it's probably actually closer to the date of 'Gabriel-mass'

the appearing of the angel, telling Mary she would bear the Son formed of the Spirit of God who would save His people from their sins, or telling Joseph not to dismiss his betrothed. the census that brought them to Bethlehem was likely not in the middle of winter.

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
No Eggnog for the OP.

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017

Christmas is not pagan

so stay at home and pout

See, even the big bad wolf likes Christmas.

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018
Some other things of Pagan origins...
Names of the days of the week
Wedding rings
Most of what we see in a wedding ceremony
Soulmates
Easter
Just to name a few...

And this is the center issue i take with those eager to rant against Christmas. Your life is filled with things of pagan origin, but when those other areas are brought into question the ranters suddenly become silent. It's easy to play that role when you think you're being spiritual and evading something easy, but when it requires you to, daily, change your entire life around, and there's no one to hear you make a big deal about it, suddenly these 'pagan origins' aren't so important. I've yet to see a Single, Solitary 'anti-Christmas' ranter even Attempt to live their life by removing 100% of 'pagan origin' areas in their life. Why? Because it's a full lifestyle change that's that's personal and requires genuine sacrifice and not a public display of your own spiritual enlightenment with no real sacrifice.
Until the day i meet someone who makes a genuine effort to discover and remove every daily pagan influence then all i hear is people eager for attention.
Indeed Thursday Thorsday Friday Freya ect Norse Mythology as for the planets even Roman gods and goddesses (which are almost identical to Greek) oh and Norns and the Fates pretty much the same too lol

7seasrekeyed

See, even the big bad wolf likes Christmas.

once again...you are looking at a Siberian Husky there

but since you have that Cocker Spaniel who wishes to assimilate everyone, I should tell you

huskies basically do whatever they want. not good for assimilating

K

Kim82

Christmas is a time to eat, drink go shopping, partying and be merry. Decorate the house, compete with the neighbours for who has the best decorations. Get into debt and worry about it in January... It has nothing to do with Jesus.

7seasrekeyed

Christmas is a time to eat, drink go shopping, partying and be merry. Decorate the house, compete with the neighbours for who has the best decorations. Get into debt and worry about it in January... It has nothing to do with Jesus.

do you think you speak for everyone?

sounds like you might have spent some of your Christmas' that way

I certainly never have

bah humbug :LOL:

7seasrekeyed

yes yes 007. the 3rd Corgi was here this am and this fellow snatched it and ran. mumbling something about assimilating it.

tea? and crumpets too if you want. a little something before you begin your search