Pope Francis to Christians: Our common Baptism unites us

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Many would totally disagree with the Pope's statement that Protestant church members are brothers and sisters of those in the Roman Catholic Church, but...

Pope Francis to Christians: Our common Baptism unites us

Vatican City, Jan 25, 2018 / 10:51 am (CNA/EWTN News).- At an ecumenical Vespers service Thursday, Pope Francis told members of several Christian communities that the grace of Baptism creates a unity in the family of God.

Even when differences separate us, we can recognize that we have the same Baptism, and we belong “to the same family of brothers and sisters loved by the one Father,” the Pope said Jan. 25.

“This is our experience as believers. As we grow in spiritual life, we increasingly understand that grace reaches us together with others and is to be shared with others. So, when I raise my thanksgiving to God for what he has done in me, I find I do not sing alone, because other brothers and sisters have my same song of praise.”

Francis spoke during a Vespers service in the Basilica of St. Paul Outside the Walls to mark both the feast of the Conversion of St. Paul and the close of the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity, which this year focused on the theme: “Powerful is your hand, Lord.”

In his homily, the Pope reflected on our common Baptism using imagery from the story of the rescue of the baby Moses from the river by Pharaoh’s daughter.

This story is seen as a prefigurement of the rescue of the Israelites, God’s chosen people, he said, who were rescued from the Egyptians when Moses led them through the parted Red Sea unharmed, the waters then pouring down on their enemies.

“Many ancient Fathers understood this liberating passage as an image of Baptism,” Francis explained. “It is our sins that have been drowned by God in the living waters of Baptism.”

“Much more than Egypt, sin threatened to make us slaves forever, but the power of divine love overwhelmed it.” He also said that St. Augustine interpreted the Red Sea as an anticipatory sign of the blood of “Christ crucified, source of salvation.”

All of us Christians have passed through the waters of Baptism, and the grace of the Sacrament has destroyed our enemies, sin and death,” he emphasized.

However, our experience of God’s love and tenderness in our daily lives should not just be kept in our hearts, he stated. These individual experiences can be linked to an even greater history, that of the salvation of the people of God.

He pointed to the example of the song intoned by the Israelites in Exodus, which begins with an individual story: “My strength and my song is the Lord, he has been my salvation.”
“But later it becomes a narrative of salvation for all the people: ‘You guided with your love this people you redeemed.’ Those who raise this song have realized that they are not alone on the shores of the Red Sea, but that they are surrounded by brothers and sisters who have received the same grace and proclaim the same praise.”

In the last 100 years, the different Christian confessions have realized that we are standing together on the same shores of the Red Sea, he continued. We have all been saved through our Baptism, and can sing a grateful song of praise together.

Today, “in a world that is increasingly rich in means and poor in love,” Christians and people of other religions face many attacks on human dignity, the Pope said, such as religious persecution, modern forms of slavery, hardship and hunger.

“But like the Israelites of Exodus, Christians are called to safeguard together the memory of what God has accomplished in them.”

Led by Pope Francis, the Vespers service was attended by representatives from various Christian churches and communities in Rome, including Metropolitan Gennadios of the Ecumenical Patriarchate; Most Reverend Bernard Ntahoturi, personal representative in Rome of the Archbishop of Canterbury; students from the Ecumenical Institute of Bossey; and members of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Baptism in this case water baptism does not save. This is the false doctrine of Romanism. Unity in condemnation is no comfort in eternity. The lake of fire burns just a hot for the lost soul of the catholic as it does for the heathen Islamic.

Faulty soteriology is not sufficient to save.

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
There is no brotherhood between the religion of catholicism and Christianity.. They are two totally seperate religions..

So there is no comon baptizim at all.. catholics are baptized by water.. Christians are baptized by the Spirit..

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Pope Franky to Christians: "Our common Baptism unites us, so abandon your error and submit to MY authority!"

Um, no.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
As many know, I have mentioned that water baptizing in the titles originated in 325 a.d. with an establishment that later became known as the Roman Catholic Church. The pope's declaration just confirms that many churches administer water baptism using their man made tradition.

There is significance in using the name of Jesus while administering water baptism. If not, there would be at least one example given wherein the titles were used during an administration of a baptism. There is none.

Also, we are told that everything we do in word and deed is to be done in Jesus' name. Water baptism is certainly classified as a deed one does in obedience to the command.

Opinions abound concerning the topic of water baptism. But they are exactly that, opinions. The record is clear. All water baptisms recorded are done in the name of the Lord Jesus. Significant? Something all should consider.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
There is no brotherhood between the religion of catholicism and Christianity.. They are two totally seperate religions..

So there is no comon baptizim at all.. catholics are baptized by water.. Christians are baptized by the Spirit..
They started water baptism in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost in 325 a.d. That is the commonality of which the pope speaks. They deferred from following how the apostles and early Christians all water baptized using Jesus' name.

Sadly, many do not have a clue that they are following a Roman Catholic Church tradition, not what the bible established.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013

Actually, they are only sprinkled as infants. That isn't being baptized by water........immersion.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
As many know, I have mentioned that water baptizing in the titles originated in 325 a.d. with an establishment that later became known as the Roman Catholic Church. The pope's declaration just confirms that many churches administer water baptism using their man made tradition.

There is significance in using the name of Jesus while administering water baptism. If not, there would be at least one example given wherein the titles were used during an administration of a baptism. There is none.

Also, we are told that everything we do in word and deed is to be done in Jesus' name. Water baptism is certainly classified as a deed one does in obedience to the command.

Opinions abound concerning the topic of water baptism. But they are exactly that, opinions. The record is clear. All water baptisms recorded are done in the name of the Lord Jesus. Significant? Something all should consider.
ALL baptisms are not done in the name of the Lord Jesus. Christ Himself said to baptize in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.........and many Christians are baptized that way.

But, lest we forget, water baptism is NOT unto salvation. It is an act of obedience to Christ who said for us to be baptized, as it serves as a witness to both the Church and the world that we have become disciples of Christ.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
ALL baptisms are not done in the name of the Lord Jesus. Christ Himself said to baptize in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.........and many Christians are baptized that way.

But, lest we forget, water baptism is NOT unto salvation. It is an act of obedience to Christ who said for us to be baptized, as it serves as a witness to both the Church and the world that we have become disciples of Christ.
Do you believe that the apostles including both Peter and Paul baptized differently than Jesus stated? No they did not. They baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. Jesus stated to use a singular name; His. This is evidenced in the record of the many baptisms administered.

Also, Paul brings up the use of a singular name in Corinthians:

Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. 1 Cor 1:13-15

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018

This is certainly a topic that requires very little study. If one chooses to accept what is clearly recorded there is no doubt how the apostles water baptized individuals. The historical record is also available to those who truly wish to know the truth.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Do you believe that the apostles including both Peter and Paul baptized differently than Jesus stated? No they did not. They baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. Jesus stated to use a singular name; His. This is evidenced in the record of the many baptisms administered.
We have record of some baptisms, as you say, but we do not know (nor can we) if everyone who baptized someone only said Jesus. To me it really doesn't matter. Jesus said what He said, and I'll follow what Jesus said, as do many, many others.

I'm going to follow the Creator, not the created..........but, now, that may just be me and many, many others.

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
~Divine Inspiration With An Earthly Story~ ( Parables )
"Christ taught in parables to invite us to reexamine some of our most cherished convictions about matters of 'Eternal Importance'. For this reason, Jesus’s parables often unsettle rather than reassure."
(Know this and know it well. A parable, or an allegory story
designed to illustrate or teach a moral lesson...to convey a
meaning indirectly by use of comparison.)

"Ponder these words carefully."........The Divine words tell
us precisely...what you see is not what is meant...'They look
and look, but do not see.'
( "The parable is, has been and always will be,
the language of the wise for speaking to the simple,
and the langage of the simple for speaking to the wise…"

"To you it has been granted to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been granted. For whoever has, to him more shall be given, and he will have an abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has shall be taken away from him. Therefore I speak to them in parables; because while seeing they do not see, and while hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. In their case the prophecy is being fulfilled, which says,
‘Hearing you will hear and shall not understand, And seeing you will see and not perceive; For the hearts of this people have grown dull. Their ears are hard of hearing, And their eyes they have closed, Lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn, So that I should heal them.’ But blessed are your eyes, because they see; and your ears, because they hear. For truly I say to you that many prophets and righteous men desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it"
( God Inspired ).
'Praise God'

HOLY SPIRIT DOVE.jpg

R

Rasputin_OZ

We have record of some baptisms, as you say, but we do not know (nor can we) if everyone who baptized someone only said Jesus. To me it really doesn't matter. Jesus said what He said, and I'll follow what Jesus said, as do many, many others.

I'm going to follow the Creator, not the created..........but, now, that may just be me and many, many others.
umm where in scripture did Jesus perform water baptism.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
umm where in scripture did Jesus perform water baptism.
um......where did you see that I said He did?

I said what HE SAID.........it is recorded in Matthew.........HE SAID how we were to baptize.......

Do not "add to" what is said here.......thanks

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.Amen.

R

Rasputin_OZ

Whatever , do not attack me for misreading what you said.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
This is certainly a topic that requires very little study. If one chooses to accept what is clearly recorded there is no doubt how the apostles water baptized individuals. The historical record is also available to those who truly wish to know the truth.
It is true that one has a choice. One can follow man, or one can follow Christ. It is clearly recorded, and there is no doubt what Christ commanded about how to baptize individuals.

People simply have to choose.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

R

Rasputin_OZ

Yes interesting that it was after his resurrection he gave this instruction to the 11.

I was Baptised in the name of the three

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
I will put for this for you to consider: God has always urged us to establish our core beliefs and doctrine on the word of two or three witnesses. Scripture references:

John 8:17 "It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true."

Matt. 18:16 "But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established."

2 Cor. 13:1 "This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established."

We know, or at least suspect, the early church messed with a lot of scripture. Adding, subtracting and changing things to fit their agenda. I believe that was the antichrist movement working against us. Matt. 28:19 was one instance of Jesus mentioning baptizing this way. What if He did not say that? What is the name of the Holy Spirit? Do you know?

All I know, as I pointed out in my testimony, that God had me go back to the church He let me join to seek re-baptism. He pointed out that they failed to take authority in the name of Jesus. By taking the name of Jesus, they are acting as the proxy of Jesus. We need to understand that fact before baptizing anyone in water. This obviously means something to God.

Jesus never physically baptized anyone, didn't even seem to promote it during His ministry. Since His ascension, He distributes the HS to believers. Jesus even submitted to water baptism to set an example. Water baptism points to the real baptism of the HS. The Apostles even did it during their ministry. :)

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018

The word establishes that water baptisms were done in Jesus' name. (Acts 2:38-41, 8:12-18, 10:44-48, 19:1-6, 22:16 Paul)
Interestingly, not one record of the use of the titles.