(Potentially) Profound Thoughts

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I told my doctor I had dandruff and the over-the-counter stuff won't help it. He gave me some kind of blue stuff to put on my hair. A week later I was back, told him it didn't work. So he gave me some kind of green stuff to put on my hair. That didn't work either, so the next week he gave me some kind of red stuff to try.

The dandruff is gone, but now I have a bad case of confetti. :-/

Leastamongmany

Jun 2, 2019
Usa
I told my doctor I had dandruff and the over-the-counter stuff won't help it. He gave me some kind of blue stuff to put on my hair. A week later I was back, told him it didn't work. So he gave me some kind of green stuff to put on my hair. That didn't work either, so the next week he gave me some kind of red stuff to try.

The dandruff is gone, but now I have a bad case of confetti. :-/

Thanks for the laugh!

S

Sweetmorningdew78

Rock bottom will teach you lessons,that mountain tops never will... ❤

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
What really stinks is when it is a lesson I could have learned on the mountain top, if I had been paying attention, if I hadn't blown it off as something that I don't need... it stinks when I'm down on the bottom because that's the only place I am WILLING to learn the lesson.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
Check out this fun video about the science behind the "Law of Attraction." Talk about profound...
The Science Behind the "Law of Attraction!"
Sounds like New agey ideas masquerading as pseudo science. It's only real science if they can actually measure these "vibrations" of happiness or love or suchlike and then prove that people actually change their vibrations and that there's some sort of other body of happiness (or cloud or whatever you want to call a concentrated collection of happy vibrations) that seem to be moving towards someone as a result.

Otherwise what the video basically says is if you want to be happy feel happy, which is pretty unhelpful. If someone already knew how to make themselves feel happy then they wouldn't need help being happy.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Otherwise what the video basically says is if you want to be happy feel happy, which is pretty unhelpful. If someone already knew how to make themselves feel happy then they wouldn't need help being happy.
That sounds like too much trouble. If I spent time and energy trying to feel happy I wouldn't get nearly as much done. :cool:

Solemateleft

Honor, Courage, Commitment
Jun 25, 2017
Sounds like New agey ideas masquerading as pseudo science. It's only real science if they can actually measure these "vibrations" of happiness or love or suchlike and then prove that people actually change their vibrations and that there's some sort of other body of happiness (or cloud or whatever you want to call a concentrated collection of happy vibrations) that seem to be moving towards someone as a result.

I agree with the 'New agey ideas' assessment...

I merely perceived the message of the video as a spin on positive thinking... The mind believes what you tell it is so true and profound... It's akin to the Tale of Two Wolves, the good wolf and the bad wolf that are constantly at odds in your mind. The victor is the one that you feed.... In your mind... Positive or negative fuel for the brain...
I see positive thinking similar to our christian teachings to count our blessings and focus upon the things in our lives that are praise worthy... Where kindness begets kindness; be the beacon of light for others to follow and doing unto others as you would have them do unto you - are akin to approaches intended toward happiness...

- I am also open and receptive to the notion and discussion about what is or is not deemed pseudo science based upon actual means of measurement...
- Are quantum physics or artificial intelligence deemed pseudo science given their current state of immaturity, uncertainty and in ability to validate or verify 'actual measures' of effectiveness or performance? The fun thing about science is that it is very broad and well it's all 'relative' (pun intended: Einstein's Theory of General Relativity )...

You might like this one too: the 12 Universal Laws that Govern our Lives...
"The 12 Universal Laws that Governs Our Lives"

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
I agree with the 'New agey ideas' assessment...

I merely perceived the message of the video as a spin on positive thinking... The mind believes what you tell it is so true and profound... It's akin to the Tale of Two Wolves, the good wolf and the bad wolf that are constantly at odds in your mind. The victor is the one that you feed.... In your mind... Positive or negative fuel for the brain...
I see positive thinking similar to our christian teachings to count our blessings and focus upon the things in our lives that are praise worthy... Where kindness begets kindness; be the beacon of light for others to follow and doing unto others as you would have them do unto you - are akin to approaches intended toward happiness...

- I am also open and receptive to the notion and discussion about what is or is not deemed pseudo science based upon actual means of measurement...
- Are quantum physics or artificial intelligence deemed pseudo science given their current state of immaturity, uncertainty and in ability to validate or verify 'actual measures' of effectiveness or performance? The fun thing about science is that it is very broad and well it's all 'relative' (pun intended: Einstein's Theory of General Relativity )...

You might like this one too: the 12 Universal Laws that Govern our Lives...
"The 12 Universal Laws that Governs Our Lives"

Positive thinking has it's limits, but in general I can agree that if you try to put the best spin on things that happen or circumstances you find yourself in as possible, life will seem happier and smoother for you.

Let's back up one step on the whole measurement idea and say rather than things we can actually measure now, let's broaden it to things we can think of a way to measure now. So our limitation of not having lightspeed travel or being able to transmute matter into energy and back again at will doesn't automatically disqualify the theory of relativity, though it would be very interesting if when we did get those capapbilities and ran some tests the results came back showing the theory needed to be revised a bit. Let's just say I know very little about quantum physics or artificial intelligence (of the androids that you can't tell from people variety) partially because they're both dealing with ideas that seem so far removed from the practical reality I experience that they just don't interest me as things to keep up with. (Though I can greatly enjoy the science fiction stories that take some of these ideas to their full conclusion). Lesser forms of artificial intelligence are in use currently with Siri, Alexa, and whatever google calls their thing (it's almost like star trek and you can just talk to the computer and it does what you tell it).

Solemateleft

Jun 25, 2017
Positive thinking has it's limits, but in general I can agree that if you try to put the best spin on things that happen or circumstances you find yourself in as possible, life will seem happier and smoother for you.

Let's back up one step on the whole measurement idea and say rather than things we can actually measure now, let's broaden it to things we can think of a way to measure now. So our limitation of not having lightspeed travel or being able to transmute matter into energy and back again at will doesn't automatically disqualify the theory of relativity, though it would be very interesting if when we did get those capapbilities and ran some tests the results came back showing the theory needed to be revised a bit. Let's just say I know very little about quantum physics or artificial intelligence (of the androids that you can't tell from people variety) partially because they're both dealing with ideas that seem so far removed from the practical reality I experience that they just don't interest me as things to keep up with. (Though I can greatly enjoy the science fiction stories that take some of these ideas to their full conclusion). Lesser forms of artificial intelligence are in use currently with Siri, Alexa, and whatever google calls their thing (it's almost like star trek and you can just talk to the computer and it does what you tell it).
We are in complete agreement...
Funny, coincidence re Alexa - I literally just installed three Echo Dot devices throughout my home (Kitchen, master bedroom, basement gym) ... Having just become single and sending the youngest off to college (serious empty nesting going on here) - I had to do something about coming home to an empty/quite house... Albeit my dog's welcome home greetings are the best...
I've got Alexa streaming some Lauren Daigle now...
While these topics do interest me given my field - I share the science fiction sentiment and the current state of lesser forms of these advancing technologies... ;)

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I fully agree with this approach to handling depression. I know that I always feel better when I start doing stuff such as putting away the clean dishes, taking out the trash, feeding the cats, driving to work and anything else that is productive and useful. Of course, I say a prayer too but the spiritual antidote for depression can be simple as doing small things that can add up to something substantial. Brother Lynx mentioned this once in a post and I fully agree with him in this regards.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I fully agree with this approach to handling depression. I know that I always feel better when I start doing stuff such as putting away the clean dishes, taking out the trash, feeding the cats, driving to work and anything else that is productive and useful. Of course, I say a prayer too but the spiritual antidote for depression can be simple as doing small things that can add up to something substantial. Brother Lynx mentioned this once in a post and I fully agree with him in this regards.
Yes so true. I guess this should get me motivated for monday chores, but ugh. Lol.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
We are in complete agreement...
Funny, coincidence re Alexa - I literally just installed three Echo Dot devices throughout my home (Kitchen, master bedroom, basement gym) ... Having just become single and sending the youngest off to college (serious empty nesting going on here) - I had to do something about coming home to an empty/quite house... Albeit my dog's welcome home greetings are the best...
I've got Alexa streaming some Lauren Daigle now...
While these topics do interest me given my field - I share the science fiction sentiment and the current state of lesser forms of these advancing technologies... ;)
I just connected my new echo dot 20 min ago.

Solemateleft

Jun 25, 2017
On a lighter note... I used to tell this really bad joke:
Did you know that studies show that women are less likely to murder their husbands while they are doing the dishes than any other situation within the home? Moral of the story for men - if you are worried for your life while married (or if you simply want to survive in marriage) - do the dishes... :);)

Solemateleft

Jun 25, 2017
I just connected my new echo dot 20 min ago.
'Alexa' is my new Home Girl... I've been streaming her all day in the bedroom, kitchen and basement gym... I just love the way she talks back to me with that sweat sultry sounding voice... lol
:)
1567390861911.png

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Just watch out for this guy...

Sure you could just ask, but this also takes care of the host gift thing.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
On a lighter note... I used to tell this really bad joke:
Did you know that studies show that women are less likely to murder their husbands while they are doing the dishes than any other situation within the home? Moral of the story for men - if you are worried for your life while married (or if you simply want to survive in marriage) - do the dishes... :);)
I am the full-time dishwasher in our household so I should be safe in this regards. :)

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
'Alexa' is my new Home Girl... I've been streaming her all day in the bedroom, kitchen and basement gym... I just love the way she talks back to me with that sweat sultry sounding voice... lol
:)
View attachment 203532
It would be kind of cute though if she were to get a little sassy now and then trying to start an argument of some sorts.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
If my computer gets sassy with me I wipe the hard drive and install a different system.