Praying in Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
And therein is the problem ... assumptions based upon no information. I am not a charismatic. I think what goes on in most of those churches today is PRECISELY why Paul wrote 1 Cor 14. Yet, unlike the cessationists who also group together, I didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. See, along with tongues, God gifted me with discernment as well. Another gift that has apparently ceased for a lot of you.

So your discernment trumps my discernment?
ROFLH
I look at history and early christian writers.
I look at where this newish outbreak of "tongues etc" came from, that history also and the people that promoted it.
I look at the reaction of prominent pastors of that time like Johathan Edwards, Geroge Whitfield and Augustus Toplady.
I ask, why glossalallia? When in doubt of what something in the bible means that we do not understand the rule is to go back to the first mention of it........this time in the old testament where a tongue was a known language of that time.

Do the adherents follow Paul's rules for "tongues"?

And I look at WHO is on the WOF list of 'approved preachers'. Not very impressive, unless you look at their bank accounts.
And I look at their whole attitude to the bible, and what other money grubbing schemes they can come up with.

I didn't start out as a cessationist or of any opinion at all. My Soverign Grace pastor spoke in tongues. But I also know people who came out of those sects and had a lot to say about them.

So its your own journey. Not my job to persuade you either way, but I don't mind questions, it is a forum after all.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Cornelius was a convert.....from what to what? Judiasm to Christianity? That was what I saw, Cornelius being a man of good report among the Jews. That he converted is obvious, He became a believer in Messiah. Don't you suppose that Cornelius spoke in his native Roman tongue? I don't think either of us can hang our hats on ONE instance that is vague.
Um, yes, we can. The whole point of the passage is that God poured out the gift of salvation to the gentiles. The evidence that Peter provided when he testified was that the Holy Spirit came on them. How did Peter know that? They spoke in tongues!

Acts 10:44-46 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God.
Acts 11:1-3 The apostles and the believers throughout Judea heard that the Gentiles also had received the word of God. So when Peter went up to Jerusalem, the circumcised believers criticized him and said, “You went into the house of uncircumcised men and ate with them.”
Acts 11:15 “As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit came on them as he had come on us at the beginning.

Your position has been soundly refuted.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Well, in the case of acts 10 it was a clear sign that the gospel is also for the genties. Not more and not less.
Agreed; that's the main point. However, G&T is arguing that no Gentiles spoke in tongues. Scripture says otherwise.

7seasrekeyed

YES I FORGOT, this was yesterday! I don't even remember the question. I h
This is a FORUM, not an inquisition.

how does that change what you posted?

it IS a forum so perhaps stop trying to pin everyone to the wall and then absolve yourself :rolleyes:

it IS a forum so people will respond...but you can read what you wrote, right?

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
What did Cornelius convert FROM? He was devout whatever he was........he gave $ to Jews........
from what to what????

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
What did Cornelius convert FROM? He was devout whatever he was........he gave $ to Jews........
from what to what????
It's time to admit your position is incorrect. Scripture calls him a Gentile. Scripture says he spoke in tongues. Case closed.

7seasrekeyed

is it tulapia or tilapia?

7seasrekeyed

It's time to admit your position is incorrect. Scripture calls him a Gentile. Scripture says he spoke in tongues. Case closed.

never gonna happen

the calvin is strong with this one

7seasrekeyed

Tilapia is fish. Tulapia is just fishy. ;)
haha

I was thinking about some kind of 'fishy' remark but thought that might be over the top

I'm just kidding. but some folks don't get that...it's still the week-end everyone...take it easy

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
ROFLH
I look at where this newish outbreak of "tongues etc" came from, that history also and the people that promoted it.
I look at the reaction of prominent pastors of that time like Johathan Edwards, Geroge Whitfield and Augustus Toplady.
I ask, why glossalallia? When in doubt of what something in the bible means that we do not understand the rule is to go back to the first mention of it........this time in the old testament where a tongue was a known language of that time.

And I look at WHO is on the WOF list of 'approved preachers'. Not very impressive, unless you look at their bank accounts.
And I look at their whole attitude to the bible, and what other money grubbing schemes they can come up with.

I didn't start out as a cessationist or of any opinion at all. My Soverign Grace pastor spoke in tongues. But I also know people who came out of those sects and had a lot to say about them.

So its your own journey. Not my job to persuade you either way, but I don't mind questions, it is a forum after all.
Jonathan Edwards recorded an ecstatic experience of his own evidently. Not tongues or any sign gifts, just some kind of exhilaration. But to lack any of this is nothing to worry about.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Well, in the case of acts 10 it was a clear sign that the gospel is also for the genties. Not more and not less.
......turn to the prison epistles, the four letters written shortly after the end of the Book of Acts, while Paul was a prisoner in Rome—Ephesians, Colossians, Philemon and Philippians…and we find that there is not one word about tongues, or the gift of healing. Even where we might have expected Paul to write of tongues in the passage about being “filled with the Spirit” in Ephesians 5:17, he has nothing to say about tongues. And as for the gift of healing, we read of a co-worker of Paul’s, Epaphroditus, who fell seriously ill during this time (Phil. 2:25-30) and Paul no longer had the gift of healing, and was no longer able to heal as he did only a few years earlier in Acts 28:9. The sign gifts were no longer operating at the time that Paul wrote the Prison Epistles.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
ROFLH

The professors of sign gifts for today are to say the least of dubious reputation. Nutter carnival barkers and sinister false prophets for the most part. Doomed to hell the blatant decievers one and all.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Paul commends Epaphroditus very highly for his faithfulness even unto death. But when Epaphroditus fell sick—near to death—Paul was no longer able to heal him because the gift of healing had ceased to operate. But we read that Epaphroditus was healed—directly by the Lord: “He was sick unto death but the Lord had mercy on him….”

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
......turn to the prison epistles, the four letters written shortly after the end of the Book of Acts, while Paul was a prisoner in Rome—Ephesians, Colossians, Philemon and Philippians…and we find that there is not one word about tongues, or the gift of healing. Even where we might have expected Paul to write of tongues in the passage about being “filled with the Spirit” in Ephesians 5:17, he has nothing to say about tongues. And as for the gift of healing, we read of a co-worker of Paul’s, Epaphroditus, who fell seriously ill during this time (Phil. 2:25-30) and Paul no longer had the gift of healing, and was no longer able to heal as he did only a few years earlier in Acts 28:9. The sign gifts were no longer operating at the time that Paul wrote the Prison Epistles.
Healing isn't mentioned in 1 Corinthians 13. It's irrelevant to the discussion of tongues.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Paul commends Epaphroditus very highly for his faithfulness even unto death. But when Epaphroditus fell sick—near to death—Paul was no longer able to heal him because the gift of healing had ceased to operate. But we read that Epaphroditus was healed—directly by the Lord: “He was sick unto death but the Lord had mercy on him….”
No doubt the Scriptures plot the winding down of the sign gifts. However there is also no doubt that there is no explicit proof of cessation other than perhaps the one statement made by Paul, which is certainly debatable.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
The professors of sign gifts for today are to say the least of dubious reputation. Nutter carnival barkers and sinister false prophets for the most part. Doomed to hell the blatant decievers one and all.
true,...........has anyone seen the ad by Peter Popoff? That guy was in prison for flim-flaming people and now he is selling happy holy water that will bring you MONEY. With winesses telling they got thousands after receiving the water. oh DUH.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Healing isn't mentioned in 1 Corinthians 13. It's irrelevant to the discussion of tongues.
I disagree. Healing is definitely a component of the sign gifts. It certainly was for the 12 and 70 in the gospel accounts.