PROVERBS 4:7- "Wisdom is the principle thing...etc"

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
There are many verses teaching on wisdom. Wisdom is the number 1 virtue. Add in Proverbs 2;6 & 9:10. Imagine if we all conditioned in our spirit this statement, "Would Jesus think, speak or do that"? every time we were tempted to entertain an ungodly thought, speak ungodly & certainly to act ungodly?

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Amen

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.”
‭‭James‬ ‭1:5-7‬ ‭

wisdom is not always easy to accept though, often because we’re already wise in our own eyes. And we hear wisdom and it doesn’t agree with our wise thinking so we say it’s not wise or not true . when we realize we’re fools is when we’ll pursue wisdom

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Like children, knowing nothing.

That is why it is so important to come to Christ as a child. Humble. Ready to Learn.

You'll find out everything you thought you knew was wrong.

Proverbs 3:5-7
5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the Lord, and depart from evil.

You actually need Wisdom from the Lord in order to follow this to begin with.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
Like children, knowing nothing.

That is why it is so important to come to Christ as a child. Humble. Ready to Learn.

You'll find out everything you thought you knew was wrong.

5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

You actually need Wisdom from the Lord in order to follow this to begin with.
especially growing up catholic.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
Precious friend, A Very Warm Welcome To Chat. I see you and I both had the
same upbringing. I got out/met The LORD at 27. How about you?

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided
(+ I and II).

Grace, Peace, And JOY!… + RICH Blessings
when i was 12, i said to myself, "there's something wrong with this catholic religion, they tell you the same thing every year". but because i was a kid, i din't know any better to do anything then especially since my parents beat on us nearly always. so in 84', i left Catholicism, was a believer as i knew how to be & then became born again in May or June of 93'. i was 34.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
There are many verses teaching on wisdom. Wisdom is the number 1 virtue. Add in Proverbs 2;6 & 9:10. Imagine if we all conditioned in our spirit this statement, "Would Jesus think, speak or do that"? every time we were tempted to entertain an ungodly thought, speak ungodly & certainly to act ungodly?
We should definitely study the bible, especially the wisdom books, to learn God's wisdom.

But while we're think about this, lets think a little about the phrase "What would Jesus do?"
Maybe this isn't the best way to arrive at our decisions.

What would Jesus do?
(Examining this expression.)

1.) What would Jesus do? How would WE know?
- Should we really believe, with out finite minds, with our fallen minds, with our pitiful and corrupted selves, we could really even know what Jesus would do in all situations?
- It's absurd to think we would, or even could, know what Jesus would do in all things.
- That is thinking way too highly of ourselves.
- When we "imagine" what Jesus would do in some situation, that's all it is, our imagination. We are fabricating a Jesus in our minds; a Jesus that fits in a little box, and it does everything "just so" in some way we pretend to understand. And we understand this imaginary Jesus-in-our-head PERFECTLY... because WE CREATED IT!
- The real Jesus is eternal God... and does not so easily conform to our own fallen minds.
- The real Jesus is someone we love, and get to know better each day.... and if we're getting to know him better each day, that IMPLIES, INHERENTLY, WE DO NOT KNOW HIM PERFECTLY.
- If we DO NOT KNOW HIM PERFECTLY, then we DO NOT know what he would do in every situation.
- If we don't know him perfectly... we shouldn't pretend that we do.

2.) There are a great many things which are given to us, which were not given to Jesus at all.

- Would Jesus get married?
- No.
- But can you can get married?
- Sure.
- So if you're thinking about getting married, and you say, "What would Jesus do?" the answer will be "NO MARRIAGE!"
- That isn't much help is it?
- There are a great many things like this... things that are given to us, but not given to Jesus in his earthly life.

3.) We each have specific vocations and callings which may have nothing to do with the life of Jesus.
- If you're wondering if you should become a plumber, and you ask, "What would Jesus do?", the answer will be "Don't be a plumber."
- Why? Because Jesus COULD NOT be a plumber, because he had a higher calling... being a plumber was something he could not do.
- But perhaps YOU can be a plumber, and that's just fine.
- Jesus had a higher calling than being a plumber, but perhaps your high calling IS to be a plumber... perhaps that's how God wants to provide for your family, and perhaps that's the special way he wants you to do YOUR ministry to the world.
- You need to pray about it, get counsel, and study the scripture.

4.) We encounter a great many things, in our modern world, things which Jesus simply never spoke about.
- How much time would Jesus spend on social media? Would Jesus use an online church if he couldn't get out? Would he stay home during a pandemic? How many times a day would he post on ChristianChat? Would he make youtube videos as part of his ministry? Would he feed his cat dry food or canned food? Would he eat strictly organic? Would he drive a gas car, an electric car, or a hybrid?
- We have NO ANSWER to these things, because they have nothing to do with the life or time of Jesus.
- However, if we simply ask "What should I do?", then we can arrive at an answer through scripture, counseling and prayer.

5.) The Bible never instructs us to go around saying, "What would Jesus do?"
- That is never given to us as the "special test for all decisions"... in fact, it's not given us as the test for any decisions.
- There is a sense in which we are to follow Christ, and a sense in which we are to "be like him"... but these are analogs, general statements of general behavior. These aren't supposed to be specific or exhaustive.
- The bible never tells us, in every situation, to solve for x by saying, "What would Jesus do?"
- It isn't a biblical command.
- But we are told to follow him in holiness, to study the scripture, to learn wisdom, to walk with God, and to preach the gospel.

6.) Finally, we are not to be duplicates of Jesus, but representatives. He made you to be you for a good reason... for a special purpose.
- God made each of use unique and special for his own special purposes.
- None of us are supposed to BE Jesus, we are to follow him, walk with him, and have a relationship with him... not BE him.
- God needs you to be you... that's why he made us all different.
- Now, we're supposed to be GOOD versions of us, versions that walk with God... we're supposed to born again, and following Christ, and growing always in the faith... but we're still us.

Take care everyone; have a great weekend.
: )

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
We should definitely study the bible, especially the wisdom books, to learn God's wisdom.

But while we're think about this, lets think a little about the phrase "What would Jesus do?"
Maybe this isn't the best way to arrive at our decisions.

What would Jesus do?
(Examining this expression.)

1.) What would Jesus do? How would WE know?
- Should we really believe, with out finite minds, with our fallen minds, with our pitiful and corrupted selves, we could really even know what Jesus would do in all situations?
- It's absurd to think we would, or even could, know what Jesus would do in all things.
- That is thinking way too highly of ourselves.
- When we "imagine" what Jesus would do in some situation, that's all it is, our imagination. We are fabricating a Jesus in our minds; a Jesus that fits in a little box, and it does everything "just so" in some way we pretend to understand. And we understand this imaginary Jesus-in-our-head PERFECTLY... because WE CREATED IT!
- The real Jesus is eternal God... and does not so easily conform to our own fallen minds.
- The real Jesus is someone we love, and get to know better each day.... and if we're getting to know him better each day, that IMPLIES, INHERENTLY, WE DO NOT KNOW HIM PERFECTLY.
- If we DO NOT KNOW HIM PERFECTLY, then we DO NOT know what he would do in every situation.
- If we don't know him perfectly... we shouldn't pretend that we do.

2.) There are a great many things which are given to us, which were not given to Jesus at all.
- Would Jesus get married?
- No.
- But can you can get married?
- Sure.
- So if you're thinking about getting married, and you say, "What would Jesus do?" the answer will be "NO MARRIAGE!"
- That isn't much help is it?
- There are a great many things like this... things that are given to us, but not given to Jesus in his earthly life.

3.) We each have specific vocations and callings which may have nothing to do with the life of Jesus.
- If you're wondering if you should become a plumber, and you ask, "What would Jesus do?", the answer will be "Don't be a plumber."
- Why? Because Jesus COULD NOT be a plumber, because he had a higher calling... being a plumber was something he could not do.
- But perhaps YOU can be a plumber, and that's just fine.
- Jesus had a higher calling than being a plumber, but perhaps your high calling IS to be a plumber... perhaps that's how God wants to provide for your family, and perhaps that's the special way he wants you to do YOUR ministry to the world.
- You need to pray about it, get counsel, and study the scripture.

4.) We encounter a great many things, in our modern world, things which Jesus simply never spoke about.
- How much time would Jesus spend on social media? Would Jesus use an online church if he couldn't get out? Would he stay home during a pandemic? How many times a day would he post on ChristianChat? Would he make youtube videos as part of his ministry? Would he feed his cat dry food or canned food? Would he eat strictly organic? Would he drive a gas car, an electric car, or a hybrid?
- We have NO ANSWER to these things, because they have nothing to do with the life or time of Jesus.
- However, if we simply ask "What should I do?", then we can arrive at an answer through scripture, counseling and prayer.

5.) The Bible never instructs us to go around saying, "What would Jesus do?"
- That is never given to us as the "special test for all decisions"... in fact, it's not given us as the test for any decisions.
- There is a sense in which we are to follow Christ, and a sense in which we are to "be like him"... but these are analogs, general statements of general behavior. These aren't supposed to be specific or exhaustive.
- The bible never tells us, in every situation, to solve for x by saying, "What would Jesus do?"
- It isn't a biblical command.
- But we are told to follow him in holiness, to study the scripture, to learn wisdom, to walk with God, and to preach the gospel.

6.) Finally, we are not to be duplicates of Jesus, but representatives. He made you to be you for a good reason... for a special purpose.
- God made each of use unique and special for his own special purposes.
- None of us are supposed to BE Jesus, we are to follow him, walk with him, and have a relationship with him... not BE him.
- God needs you to be you... that's why he made us all different.
- Now, we're supposed to be GOOD versions of us, versions that walk with God... we're supposed to born again, and following Christ, and growing always in the faith... but we're still us.

Take care everyone; have a great weekend.
: )

your answer reminds me of the "paralysis by analysis" mindset. as a joke i say that. concentratively cogitating on the solution of an ungodly temptation with wisdom always delivers the answer.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
your answer reminds me of the "paralysis by analysis" mindset. as a joke i say that. concentratively cogitating on the solution of an ungodly temptation with wisdom always delivers the answer.
I hope you weren't expecting analysis.

All I did was scribble down stuff that popped into my head.

God Bless.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I just came from posting the same Scripture.
hmmmm.